logic analyzer

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
Volhout

logic analyzer

#1 Post by Volhout »

Dear readers,

Most of the posts in these forums are about problems. And often offer solutions. This one is different: it offers a solution where there is no problem.
I just want to share a short success story.

In my hobby (electronics) I use an oscilloscope to debug hardware. That is often digital hardware, and I could benefit of a simple logic analyzer.

I found one on ebay (search for 24MHz USB analyzer, or Saleae) for around 12 dollar. It is a chineese clone from a more professional product.

I downloaded the software from www.Saleae.com (a 7 Mbyte zip file for 32 bit linux) and copied it into my home folder. Read the readme.... and clicked on the "Logic" executable. And .... it works.

This is puppy linux Slacko 5.6 (version LXpup 13.10), running on an EeePC netbook.

The desktop icon and menu item must be created manually, since it does not automatically integrate into the puppy structure.

I just wanted to share the success story with you.....
Attachments
Screenshot_2013-12-06.jpg
running logic analyzer
(74.85 KiB) Downloaded 225 times

greengeek

#2 Post by greengeek »

Nice work. Can this be used to trap a string of pulses for later analysis? That's cool.

Volhout

#3 Post by Volhout »

@ greengeek

Yes, it is a very basic 8 channel analyzer, in that it does not have a hardware trigger function. It just captures data (you can capture up to 1 Tbyte !!) and has several analyzer functions, like CAN, USB, RS232 etc.. where it translates the captured 1's and 0's into readable text. It has a nice and fast zoom function, and you can give each signal a NAME.

just a cheap and handy tool....

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

Neat stuff.... used to use the beasties years ago at work which was fun but they were sooooooooooo expensive it was not something I would have considered to own personally.
I also noticed plugin scopes for the PC...anyone had experience of these? Instant digital storage scope for a few quid seems too good to be true :) Thing is seeing waveforms brings the whole thing to life and would be good for the offspring.
I manage with just a multimeter now but its not the same.

mike

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

Volhout, how about a picture of the USB hardware itself? Don't forget to include the cables and cords, all nicely coiled into a heap. :)