FWIW, the contributors could use http://limelinx.com/ or similar
to exchange files amongst themselves.
No depot per se would be needed, however
  • a central list and
    a list maintainer would be required,
so stuff is not duplicated.
The smokey01 site could then be kept as is, with just an add'l html page
for the files' URLs.

Also, limelinx keeps files for 60 days from upload or last download.
How long do you figure this CE project could last? ;)

Just a thought.

BFN.

musher0
~~~~~~~~
Edit:
On second thought, does tubeguy still have room on his site, and of
course would he still be willing to share some of it for a Puppy project?
tubeguy?
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

musher0

#462 Post by musher0 »

Clean, to the point. A simple circle as symbol of community. I like it!
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

musher0

#463 Post by musher0 »

Hello, all.

I suppose I'd like my "Alternative pupsave create" script to be included.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... ost#741234
So that anyone using our CE Puppy can create a pupsave file, whatever
his/her hardware configuration, and they can easily workaround the problem I had.

BFN.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

tubeguy

#464 Post by tubeguy »

musher0 wrote:On second thought, does tubeguy still have room on his site, and of course would he still be willing to share some of it for a Puppy project?
tubeguy?
You bet. (Your stuff is still there BTW) Anyone can PM me and I will set you up with a directory under tubeguy.org/puppy and ftp password of your choosing.
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

musher0

#465 Post by musher0 »

tubeguy wrote:
musher0 wrote:On second thought, does tubeguy still have room on his site, and of course would he still be willing to share some of it for a Puppy project?
tubeguy?
You bet. (Your stuff is still there BTW) Anyone can PM me and I will set you up with a directory under tubeguy.org/puppy and ftp password of your choosing.
Thanks a zillion, tubeguy. :)
wanderer, what says you? :)
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

wanderer

#466 Post by wanderer »

hi guys

Any help getting repositories for us to exchange pets and other files would be appreciated. If you get one, just pm me, and whoever else is helping, with the codes, so we can all post on the repository.

I hope that the ce project will be around forever and we will be able to make a continuos series of ce isos. This will give everyone in the community a place they can work together.

I also would like to make a list of everyone that participates in the ce project so that their efforts can be recognized. Remember we are a team.

thanks again everyone

wanderer

ally

#467 Post by ally »

I can offer to add to the archive.org channel

unfortunately I cannot have more than 1 login but can upload if emailed to me

:)

wanderer

#468 Post by wanderer »

hi everyone

I would like to just mention something if i didnt already. The way i see this project, we will start out remastering isos, and will continue to do this when we feel it is appropriate. But eventually, I would like us to make our own unique ce isos, that combine what we want from whatever project we run into, from woof-ce or whatever. That is why i think it is important to stay involved with woof-ce, since that is one way to build something unique but with the expertise and help of the community gurus.

your thoughts

wanderer

wanderer

#469 Post by wanderer »

Hi again

If you run into some apps that are statically compiled or not dynamic executables (like e3) that is good because they will be independent of the glibc of the iso and so will be interchangeable in most isos.

wanderer

wanderer

#470 Post by wanderer »

hi all

If you are willing to allow us to put your name on the ce team list please post to this forum with the message "(I'm in)" and your name and i will start a ce team list. When we make the list if you don't see your name, post and tell us.

heres mine ( I'm in wanderer )

thanks for participating

wanderer

musher0

#471 Post by musher0 »

Hi, wanderer.

Just to make sure: concerning the ftp space, did you see tugeguy's reply,
bottom of previous page?

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Hotdog

#472 Post by Hotdog »

Wanderer & All,

I'm no developer but I can do lists and housekeeping.

I'm in!

Hotdog
[i]Puppy 5.2.8.7, Full Install[/i]

bark_bark_bark

#473 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Have any of you guys thought about setting up a repo for other distros? I just think that a puppy newcomer could just avoid waiting a hour for a 100-150MB to download at 50kb/s, when they keep the one on their computer but have the puppy experience without actually having it.

wanderer

#474 Post by wanderer »

musher0

yes i saw tubeguys post

thanks

wanderer

wanderer

#475 Post by wanderer »

hi hotdog

wanderer

wanderer

#476 Post by wanderer »

The great thing about this system is you dont have to be a developer to be a developer. All you have to do is find a pet you like, load it on to the iso, and see if it works. If it does or doesn't work tell us. Even i can do it. Try it and see.

wanderer

wanderer

#477 Post by wanderer »

Greetings community edition puppy fans

As you all are aware our system does not depend on any particular iso. It is a general system that will allow us to use any iso(s) we choose and make them a ce iso.

I have tried the woof-ce slacko and also raring suggested by musher0. Both will not run on my old desktop computer but will run on my newer laptop.

We are going to need an iso as a testing base for older computers and since i think ttuuxxx's 214 (214x9 not 10, 10 has problems with the media player) is the best i have seen, I intend to use that for older computers.

Musher0 has informed me that raring has the latest glibc of the isos available, so lets use that as the testing base for newer computers (does this make sense musher0 ?).

Woof-ce slacko is still in development so i think we should wait on that iso. I intend to ask the woof-ce guys for suggestions on how to build a minimal base with woof-ce, that will eventually become our ce base. We will then be able to plug what we want into this woof-ce base to make the various isos we want.

any thoughts ?

Wanderer

Volhout

puppy CE

#478 Post by Volhout »

Hello Wanderer,

Since you are the starter of this thread, I assume you know the answer to my question. If the question sounds silly then please understand that english is not my native language, and it is this lack of knowledge that drives to the question.

My question is : what is a CE puppy.

As far as I know it is a version of puppy where the whole community contributes/supports, and not a single dev.

Why are we talking about using 2.14xTOP9 as a platform. 2.14X is a full distro already. What can we do to improve it ? What makes it CE. And why do we take Slacko 5.7 (and Precise 5.61, and Debian Wheezy, .... ) as a base ? What are we trying to accomplish here.

And finally: why do we look at GTK1 ? Where as the whole world has already moved on from GTK2 to GTK3.

It must be me.... not understanding what a community edition (CE) is ??

I absolutely love the fact that everyone is working together, but I am not sure all noses point into one direction. It sounds like a lot of devs are working their own projects without any coordination, and are doing what they would have done already anyway.

It must be me.... not understanding what a community edition (CE) is ??

I fail to see the point.....

Volhout

Maybe if you point out the grand scheme, I would start to understand. Like "we are designing a new way to build puppies now Barry is gone", or "we will finally combine the good ootb experience of puppy with a grand packat manager and good repository" or "this excersize will make puppy smaller then ever".

wanderer

#479 Post by wanderer »

volhout

good question

Now that barry k does not seem to be actively developing puppies.
I think its a good idea that we all get together and continue puppy development.

I am just one person but i am trying to move things along and many other people seem to be helping.

What i would like to do is build a system that we all can use to build new puppies combining, 1. what we have available now and 2. what new contributions will come along in the future. I want the system to be iso neutral, that is not dependent on any one iso. Because we will want to have at least 2 isos, one for older and one for newer computers.

There are a number of steps i think we need to take to accomplish this.

1. get an art pet together so we can add ce artwork to an iso

2. choose at least 2 finished isos to test pets against, one for older and one for newer computers.

3. test and collect a respository of pets of applications (and eventually kernals drivers etc) that we would like to add to the puppy ce isos

4. make a general minimal base (possibly with woof-ce) that we can eventually add these pets to

5. develop a system (script) that will allow us to easily remove items we don't want from our minimal base

6. develop a system (script) that will allow us to easily add items to our minimal base

7. develop a system (script) to template each ce iso, so that we will be able to duplicate it and modify it at will

I will continue to work on this system because it is fun for me. I hope other people will help me and it appears that a group of people have come together to work on the ce project, i like to call us the ce-team (see the thread for all of their contributions)

If anyone wants to do this another way, please post your thoughts and maybe we will do it your way. Until then i, and hopefully all the other members of the ce-team, will keep working on this system until we complete a general minimal ce iso and at least the 2 versions (1 for newer and 1 for older computers) that we will present to the community as stable.

your thoughts ?

wanderer
Last edited by wanderer on Thu 05 Dec 2013, 16:59, edited 2 times in total.

RSH

#480 Post by RSH »

Hi.
Volhout wrote:It must be me.... not understanding what a community edition (CE) is ??
++1++

You are not the only one.

I have followed this thread from time to time (but did not read each posting completely). I feel the need to make a larger post to this here thread, but I'm in a hurry. So, maybe later tonight.

RSH
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]