DebianDog - Squeeze

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
saintless

#21 Post by saintless »

emil wrote:Is there a way to have debian packages auto trimmed at installation with apt(zero size files added)?
If there would be a dedicated server one could also set up a trimmed repo.
then it would be a baby debian (or "babian"?).
I am very curious about the "making of" report you mentioned, looking forward to read it!
regards
emil
Hi, Emil,

I'm sure it is possible. Not for me but for someone with skills like yours or JBV and others. I also think this extra repo work not worth the efforts. The packages will be installed in uncompresed format (in save file or in ram). Like in FoxyRoxy it will be enough to run zerosize script after installing them inside the save file or before make compressed snapshot. It is a matter of single click to run the script.
I understand there will be interst about the creation of this iso. I will try to make it good enough with pictures and proper explanaition as a post here or in different topic may be.
I wander what can be done in this direction with wheezy. Sickgut was working on this lately. Hope soon we will have him back.

Cheers, Toni

anikin

#22 Post by anikin »

Fantastic!
Inspired by James C, I installed the same stuff as he did: iceweasel, rox-filer, mtpaint + geany. All is working well on my atom n270 eeepc. Runs cool, everything is fast and snappy. This is just something that makes you feel good.

Thank you, saintless!

edit: Had a quick look inside initrd and removed some unneeded modules - see the attached image for size change.
Attachments
initrd.jpeg
(16.51 KiB) Downloaded 653 times
live_deb.jpeg
(51.63 KiB) Downloaded 796 times
Last edited by anikin on Thu 05 Dec 2013, 16:57, edited 1 time in total.

sklimkin

#23 Post by sklimkin »

saintless wrote: I took debian live squeeze standard live cd and extracted the content of filesystem.squashfs in live-rw save file
... ... ...
Cheers, Toni
To the same end, we came from different sides.
I have added modules to the base system (over debootstrap + chroot).
You are removed from the finished OS modules.
But at the same time I turned the ISO larger than 200 MB
and you have turned the ISO smaller than 70 MB.
I draw this conclusion: we must try your method.

saintless

#24 Post by saintless »

anikin wrote:edit: Had a quick look inside initrd and removed some unneeded modules - see the attached image for size change.
Thank you, Anikin :)
Do you mind uploading your initrd.img somewhere. I'm not very familiar with initrd editing yet and I doubt I can do the job well.
This means smaller image - same functionality. Nothing better can happen :)
Cheers, Toni

saintless

#25 Post by saintless »

sklimkin wrote:I draw this conclusion: we must try your method.
I prefer to open different topic about slimming debian live. This way I can add all I remember on one place. This will be my first job in the next day or two and I'll post a link here. Maybe other people will give better ideas there.
Cheers, Toni

anikin

#26 Post by anikin »

Hi saintless,
I don't think it would be of much use, unless your machine is identical to mine. I just remove stuff that is not needed on my eeepc. For example, flash readers on netbooks are usb devices, as such mmc is not needed. My ethernet card is atheros - no need for anything other than that ... and so on - locales, exotic console fonts, keyboard layouts, joysticks, etc., - both in initrd and the main sqashfs - I'll get to that later on.
Attachments
remove.jpeg
(77.95 KiB) Downloaded 625 times

saintless

#27 Post by saintless »

anikin wrote:... both in initrd and the main sqashfs - I'll get to that later on.
I understand, Anikin.
Then I prefer not to edit initrd.img. It is better to keep it as it is.
About the need of debian live to have initrd.img and vmlinuz on two places (inside and outside the squash file), I have this on my mind. It does matter when the system is small. Still searching information about this.
Cheers, Toni
Last edited by saintless on Sat 07 Dec 2013, 07:29, edited 1 time in total.

tony

#28 Post by tony »

Hi,

thanks for all the hard work in bringing this into puppy.

Can you please inform us puppians how we set up a save file to make our apt-get additions permanent.

Regards Tony.

sunburnt

#29 Post by sunburnt »

Yeah, it`s hard to tell the weak link in the chain.
My service provider COX, MyDrive... Not worth the trouble to find out.
COX is the unique link in my chain, sooo...

I`m trying again.

saintless

#30 Post by saintless »

tony wrote:Can you please inform us puppians how we set up a save file to make our apt-get additions permanent.
Sorry. I had to start with this information but I didn't think there will be much interest in the first few days. I will update the first post tomorrow.
Short description:
Download and extract this empty save file made from Sickgut on top of any ext or vfat partition.
http://smokey01.com/saintless/1gb-example-save-file.zip
Boot the CD in copy to RAM or live mode. It will find the save file from boot.

0r run this from terminal:

Code: Select all

dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/sda1/live-rw bs=1M count=1000
mkfs.ext2 /mnt/sda1/live-rw
it will create 1000 Mb save file on top of sda1 (if you run it from puppy linux). You can change the size from count=1000

If you like to make frugal install copy the live folder from the iso on top of any partition and add this in grub menu list (the example is for sda1):

title Light-Debian-Core
 root (hd0,0)
 kernel /live/vmlinuz boot=live config persistent swapon quickreboot noprompt autologin
 initrd /live/initrd.img
 boot
If you remove persistent no save file will be used.
I will add script to do this in the next version.

Cheers, Toni

RSH

#31 Post by RSH »

stu91 wrote:So light weight in size / resources full compatibility with debain repo - am i missing something, why isn't Puppy heading in this direction?
Hopefully NOT!

Sorry, I don't want to be offend and also I don't want to disparage anyone's work, but my impression of this OS has been far below the level of my impression when I first met Puppy Linux - actually Muppy 08.3F.

Ok.

It boots into the graphical desktop. So far, so good.

What I would like to complain, is:

- too less applications available in the ISO (I would prefer maybe a 100 to 150 MB ISO with some more applications)
- could not connect to the internet
- - GPRS USB Flash Modem NOT recognized
- - could not find any application to setup the internet connection manually
- video viewer/player not working

and

- after exiting the graphical desktop (exited to prompt) I could not restart JWM
- - entering 'X' into the (prompt) Console lets the screen turn blank and black and did force me to make a hard shutdown by computer's power switch.

This was my first Debian experience - I doubt I want to make any further ones.

RSH
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

saintless

#32 Post by saintless »

RSH wrote:This was my first Debian experience - I doubt I want to make any further ones.
This means you are not ready to learn something different. Its OK by me.
I will answer to your complains. It might be useful for someone else.
- too less applications available in the ISO (I would prefer maybe a 100 to 150 MB ISO with some more applications

Any application you like can be installed in few minutes, remastering or creating save file takes also few minutes. I prefer to have a choice what application to use.
- could not connect to the internet
In the first post I described I don't have wireless to test. Thank you for this information.
Peace of cake to fix this Next version will have wicd as separate sfs. It will take about 10 Mb I think.
- - could not find any application to setup the internet connection manually

Trust me, with proper configured debian live you will not need them. But wicd will give you such option.
video viewer/player not working
luvcview works if you have web camera attached. It is something I need It was the main reason to create this iso and can be removed anyway.
after exiting the graphical desktop (exited to prompt) I could not restart JWM
- - entering 'X' into the (prompt) Console lets the screen turn blank and black and did force me to make a hard shutdown by computer's power switch.

Strange. Frugal install does not have such a problem on my PC. I will check this out.

Cheers, Toni

sunburnt

#33 Post by sunburnt »

Got it, gonna try it Frugal with the Save file.

Then I noticed Smokey has it now also. Thanks Saintless.!

saintless

#34 Post by saintless »

RSH wrote: - after exiting the graphical desktop (exited to prompt) I could not restart JWM
RSH
Type startx and you get in jwm in 2 seconds. Just tested from live cd.
Cheers, Toni

mcewanw

#35 Post by mcewanw »

Pity it needs a pae-capable CPU - doesn't work in my old lappy unfortunately.
github mcewanw

RSH

#36 Post by RSH »

Hi.
In the first post I described I don't have wireless to test.
Sorry, but obviously I did not read the first post.
luvcview works if you have web camera attached
Thanks, for the info about the web camera.
This means you are not ready to learn something different.
Of course, I'm ready to learn something different.

To learn something different is the red line (or the common thread) that runs through my life.

I'm now a full time (LazY) Puppy Linux user (and partly a developer somehow) by learning something different, starting with AtariST (Pascal hobby programmer on so called (DE) Public Domain Software, MIDI-Music-Composing) and later using Windows for about 10 years just as a user.
Type startx and you get in jwm in 2 seconds. Just tested from live cd.
I had made USB hd install on a FAT32 partition using the boot menu entry from Keef:

title Light Debian Core
   uuid 9544e76c-4dc2-4023-97f5-bad2a907641d
   kernel /live/vmlinuz boot=live
   initrd /live/initrd.img
I assume, yours is NOT for Grub4DOS?

title Light-Debian-Core-Test
root=(hd0,0)
kernel /live/vmlinuz boot=live config persistent swapon quickreboot noprompt autologin
initrd /live/initrd.img
boot
Since it has entry boot at its end?

I know it can happen from time to time, that an OS hangs up and forces the user to do a hard shutdown. Last time when I have had such while trying XUbuntu 11.04, was in 2011. Did never ever try it again, because I don't like Operating Systems that will force me to make a hard shutdwon after a FIRST try.

Each time then I have to reboot Windows and to execute a scan disk - because of the FAT32 partition. Sometimes I do find some strange files in a .FOUNDXXX folder which I don't know how to handle them.

Usually I do then format the FAt32 boot partition and reinstalling everything - which means: copying the backup files back to the FAT32 partition, then installing Grub4DOS and replacing the menu.lst with my menu-lst backup.

I'm ready to learn something different, but I'm not willing to give any Operating System a second chance to force me to do such as described again.

Exactly this, what I've had described above, I had to do after testing the Light-Debian-Core Operating System - because I have found these strange files again (3 files this time in directory .FOUND000 (or similar)).

Sorry, but as I have stated in my previous post: I don't want to be offend and also I don't want to disparage anyone's work!

RSH
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

sunburnt

#37 Post by sunburnt »

Tried it, and stopped booting after scripts were loaded. [Ctrl] [Alt] [Del] rebooted it.

# Any ideas?

Grub4dos menu file:

title Debian-Live
 root (hd0,0)
 kernel /Debian-Live/vmlinuz boot=live config persistent swapon quickreboot noprompt autologin
 initrd /Debian-Live/initrd.img

saintless

#38 Post by saintless »

sunburnt wrote:Tried it, and stopped booting after scripts were loaded.
Try this one. I guess you have it in folder called debian-live. It should be just live. Just copy the live folder as it is.

title Debian-Live
 root (hd0,0)
 initrd /live/initrd.img

sunburnt

#39 Post by sunburnt »

Will do Saintless.

Made a 500 MB live-rw file and it got to mount /mnt/sda3 ( don`t know why it did that ).

# Update: Changed name and menu.lst file and it boots... Nice.!
Xfe, Xterm, and the H3V Browser ( never heard of it ).
Posting this update from the H3V browser.
HowTo close H3V`s lower panel and it`s list of gif files?

# I`ve never seen a setup that you couldn`t change the dir. name.

# Would "boot=live" need to be "boot=Debian-Live".?
Last edited by sunburnt on Fri 06 Dec 2013, 06:34, edited 3 times in total.

saintless

#40 Post by saintless »

RSH wrote:I assume, yours is NOT for Grub4DOS?

title Light-Debian-Core-Test
root=(hd0,0)
initrd /live/initrd.img
boot
Since it has entry boot at its end?
Grub Legacy installed from Turbopup Extreme.
No offense taken. Everyone is free to share his impressions.
Just a small correction. I don't think of this as a separate distro. It is and it will stay pure Debian-live. I will try to make it look more like puppy without breaking its structure (I hope I didn't so far. Testing will show).
Debian-Live will always present in the name as a gratitude to the Debian live team which is doing great job over the years.