Puppy 4.2.1 Final

News, happenings
cowboy

thoughts on 4.21

#101 Post by cowboy »

WhoDo,

Not a long time Puppy user here, but I use Lucid for most of my day to day computing, and enjoy prowling around the alleys of Puppy history to see how we got to where we are today.

I just wanted to congratulate you on 4.21. It's stable, enjoyable to use, and provided many of the little things that, even now, many new Puppy users ask for. It could still make anyone an excellent transition distro from Windows into Linux.

I have Firefox 4 running on 4.21 without issue, and often boot into it when working in Google Apps. Thank you and the other devs for this intriguing and thoughtfully executed Puppy.
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.

WhoDo

Re: thoughts on 4.21

#102 Post by WhoDo »

cowboy wrote:Thank you and the other devs for this intriguing and thoughtfully executed Puppy.
On behalf of the 4.2x development team, thank you for saying thank you Cowboy! Several of the team from that release are still very active in current releases, including ttuuxxx and 01micko among many, many others. I hope that it and 2.15CE will be seen as the releases that laid the groundwork for a new style of Puppy while still retaining its essential character. Cheers. 8)
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

sc0ttman

#103 Post by sc0ttman »

yeah, I love 4.2.1, and its derivatives - still using them daily, since the first day I found Puppy Linux!
[b][url=https://bit.ly/2KjtxoD]Pkg[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2U6dzxV]mdsh[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2G49OE8]Woofy[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/bzBU1]Akita[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/SO5ug]VLC-GTK[/url], [url=https://tiny.cc/c2hnfz]Search[/url][/b]

Eyes-Only

#104 Post by Eyes-Only »

WhoDo wrote:"I hope that it and 2.15CE will be seen as the releases that laid the groundwork for a new style of Puppy while still retaining its essential character."
Hear! Hear! And I believe Warren that we've seen the fruitition of yours - and the other devs - labour come to be as you've written/hoped for. :)

Especially when you look at all the ground which was set by "The Great" 4.2.1 by the quality of apps included, the amount, the usefulness of those apps, then the full-blown repo for 4/4.2.1 along with all the apps included in the "Software" section here. Of course I could go on and on when it comes just to apps alone!

But then consider the ground broken with the change in looks and the gorgeous artwork involved. You and others dared to break the mold from that "Classic 95" sort of look to something that was truly unique, truly beautiful, giving Puppy an individuality and personality all of its own - while still retaining a connection with past Puppies so that anyone familiar with the OS from 1.0 on up could still easily find everything they needed - I dare say even without the so-called "Dreaded Learning Curve" - while at the same time making it equally compatible/easy for people from an XP environment to switch over to Linux with barely facing that "Learning Curve"! ( IMVHO at least - others may disagree. )

Lastly, there is the "Endurance Factor". I can't even begin to count how many puplets happened to be based off from the beloved 4.2.1, and like Scottman, Cowboy, and myself - plus many others I'm sure would admit! - have a copy, either on CD/DVD, frugal, or even hard drive install, that we are using on a regular basis to this very day. And since I've discovered that WOW's "Gnome.sfs" made for Puppy-4.0 works fantastic on 4.2.1 and without error it has greatly extended the lifetime of this wonderful version into the future for the years ahead as well for me!

Yes indeed! Kudos to Warren and the Devs/Contributors involved in what shall surely go down in Puppy history as THE MOST monumental and pivotal Puppy version of all times - the Woof Building System and LucidPup being the next.

Thanks you all for your time.

Amicalement/Cheers,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

WhoDo

#105 Post by WhoDo »

Eyes-Only wrote:I've discovered that WOW's "Gnome.sfs" made for Puppy-4.0 works fantastic on 4.2.1 and without error it has greatly extended the lifetime of this wonderful version into the future for the years ahead as well for me!
Thanks, jimmi. I'm pleased to see you appear to have come through another winter. It's nice to know that something that required such hard work is still finding a place with Puppy devotees. 8)
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

Eyes-Only

#106 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hi Warren!

Yes... made it through "another winter" - and talk about a rough one here in the Northeast corner of the USA! Several feet of snow at a time on the ground at any given time! :shock: Even though it's now mid-April and we "should" be well into Spring here many places in Maine still have snow upon the ground, we have frosts at night, and frequent weather reports for snowfall. It doesn't bode well for our "usual two weeks of Maine summer" I'm afraid. -sigh-

And as you have pointed out: "Made it through another winter." But now the time is being measured in months instead of seasons. You ( and others who know my case ) know what I'm talking about. No need for sympathy Warren believe me, okie? I will rejoice when the final lap of the race has been run! :D

Speaking about Gnome on 4.2.1 one more time if I may? WOW's .sfs file of it, though only Gnome 2.16 or 2.18, it looks and runs gorgeus on this Puppy and takes up far less RAM than the Trinity Desktop ( KDE-3.5 ) on LucidPup. Plus WOW included so many of the Gnome programmes like Totem, gedit, FileRoller, and so many more. The only error I encounter is upon bootup where there are a bunch of "udev" readings flashing across the screen but I've found they mean nothing at all. Works flawless. I just wished I had "the knowledge" others seem to possess so as to be able to roll it altogether into one .iso file for a bonafide "GnomePup-4.2.1" ( as I have in my sigfile. lol! ). Somehow I always mess it up. ;)

Okie, enough of my ramblings! Take care Warren and thanks for the comeback my friend!

Cheers!/Amicalement!

Eyes-Only/-jimmi-
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#107 Post by Béèm »

Hello Eyes-Only.

Content de te lire.
Et oui, la neige a été abondant partout.
Aussi en Belgique.

J'ai cherché un peu de soleil aux îles Canaries.

Salutations,

Bernard
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

WhoDo

#108 Post by WhoDo »

Eyes-Only wrote:Speaking about Gnome on 4.2.1 one more time if I may? WOW's .sfs file of it, though only Gnome 2.16 or 2.18, it looks and runs gorgeus on this Puppy and takes up far less RAM than the Trinity Desktop ( KDE-3.5 ) on LucidPup. Plus WOW included so many of the Gnome programmes like Totem, gedit, FileRoller, and so many more. The only error I encounter is upon bootup where there are a bunch of "udev" readings flashing across the screen but I've found they mean nothing at all. Works flawless. I just wished I had "the knowledge" others seem to possess so as to be able to roll it altogether into one .iso file for a bonafide "GnomePup-4.2.1" ( as I have in my sigfile. lol! ).
While ever you're here, jimmi, there is a reason. When it's time to go there will be a reason, too! Just a little homespun philosophy! :wink:

I'd like to see a polished version of Gnome offered as an SFS for Lucid! That would complete the picture of an Ubuntu-like Puppy IMHO. I hope someone takes up the cudgels and goes for it, jimmi!

All the best to you and your family, especially Isaac.

Cheers, mate. 8)

cthisbear

#109 Post by cthisbear »

WhoDo:

Lucids crap.

I read it so I knows.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 439#514439

Chris.

Pelo

Puppy 4.2.1 Virtual Machine (wirelessed ?)

#110 Post by Pelo »

Puppy 4.2.1 Virtual Machine
Connected wireless. Netbook 2013, outdoor.
Seamonkey 1-1-15 is out of date :wink:
Attachments
2it4e9x.jpg
(9.73 KiB) Downloaded 612 times
Last edited by Pelo on Sun 10 May 2015, 13:43, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

Puppy 421 Pro to remasterisze

#111 Post by Pelo »

I will make Puppy 421 PRO Season II
With a Slacko version