How to remaster a CD/DVD from a USB drive?

Booting, installing, newbie
cgisfun

How to remaster a CD/DVD from a USB drive?

#1 Post by cgisfun »

I need help to create a CD/DVD version of my settings.

I will guide you through my steps:
  • I used unetbootin to install Puppy 5.2 on my 8g USB thumb drive.
    I then ran it on my laptop.
    Configured it the way I wanted.
    Updated Repositories
    Removed unwanted applications
    Added applications
    Setup Desktop with my Icons/Wallpaper/Etc
    Created a Save File
Now have a USB drive that I can use as my personal OS. :)

However, I would like to have all the work remastered as a disk that I can use just to surf the net, draw, and simple things that don't require me to change settings. For that I have my USB drive. Also. I hate the USB sticking out the side of my laptop when working from Puppy.

Yes I know I can:
  • Buy a small USB drive
    Install Puppy on the HDD
But I just want a mastered CD/DVD that I don't have to maintenance for personal use.

I tried going to Menu>Setup>Remaster Puppy live-cd.
Clicked OK button for acknowledgement
Selected the partition(USB drive and eventually the ramdisk on second attempt), then clicked OK button.
Chose the CD/DVD drive, then clicked the OK button.

Then it says "Please insert te current Puppy live-CD into drive sr0. Then click OK..."

WHAT? There is no current live-CD. I'm running from a USB. Also, how can I insert a live-CD into the drive if that's where I have the blank disc I want to burn my remastered version?

Is this not an option or am I doing it wrong? :(

nic007

Re: Help remaster a CD/DVD from a USB drive

#2 Post by nic007 »

cgisfun wrote:I need help to create a CD/DVD version of my settings.

I will guide you through my steps:
  • I used unetbootin to install Puppy 5.2 on my 8g USB thumb drive.
    I then ran it on my laptop.
    Configured it the way I wanted.
    Updated Repositories
    Removed unwanted applications
    Added applications
    Setup Desktop with my Icons/Wallpaper/Etc
    Created a Save File
Now have a USB drive that I can use as my personal OS. :)

However, I would like to have all the work remastered as a disk that I can use just to surf the net, draw, and simple things that don't require me to change settings. For that I have my USB drive. Also. I hate the USB sticking out the side of my laptop when working from Puppy.

Yes I know I can:
  • Buy a small USB drive
    Install Puppy on the HDD
But I just want a mastered CD/DVD that I don't have to maintenance for personal use.

I tried going to Menu>Setup>Remaster Puppy live-cd.
Clicked OK button for acknowledgement
Selected the partition(USB drive and eventually the ramdisk on second attempt), then clicked OK button.
Chose the CD/DVD drive, then clicked the OK button.

Then it says "Please insert te current Puppy live-CD into drive sr0. Then click OK..."

WHAT? There is no current live-CD. I'm running from a USB. Also, how can I insert a live-CD into the drive if that's where I have the blank disc I want to burn my remastered version?

Is this not an option or am I doing it wrong? :(
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=71349[/url]
Notes: I've never found it necessary to change the usr/lib/locale folder. If you want to keep all your personal settings replace all files in temp/root and temp/etc with those of the running system ( just remember to delete the hidden file .XLOADED in temp/etc after you have copied it..

Ted Dog

#3 Post by Ted Dog »

that was an excellent thread on how to remaster. But I have a different method called sloppy remaster. It will work easier but going from save file to cd will be broken ( can't save back with multisession )
its in the multisession sub forum. It will just snap shot a running system as a customized sfs with same name as orginal. You need to copy the main files from usb to roll own dvd.

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

The remaster script USED to recognise and use the mounted puppy iso. It did not mention it but could do so. So click on the iso and then run the remaster.

If ye linux gods be praised that useful ability is still in there.

Yes machines without optical media do exist :D

mike