(In Dev) Working on a New GTK Frontend for Qemu (GTKDialog3)

Virtual machines, emulation, etc.
Pentium44

(In Dev) Working on a New GTK Frontend for Qemu (GTKDialog3)

#1 Post by Pentium44 »

This program is in development, and when the first version is released, don't expect it to work as good as the finished program. If you have any ideas for features or comments, please post them. Thanks

-Chris

Moose On The Loose

Re: (In Dev) Working on a New GTK Frontend for Qemu (GTKDialog3)

#2 Post by Moose On The Loose »

Pentium44 wrote:This program is in development, and when the first version is released, don't expect it to work as good as the finished program. If you have any ideas for features or comments, please post them. Thanks

-Chris
I made a really dumb user interface for dosemu. I will explain a few things I picked up while doing that.

I think qemu can do the same sort of things with serial and printer ports as dosemu. The issue often comes up of a configuration working and then the serial or printer that it depended on not being in the system the next time. I found that the best path was to keep the settings that could be kept and force the dialog up with those as defaults.

I found that a very simple GUI that had basically "configure" and "run" buttons and little else was good. There is no point rendering the whole GUI if all is well. You always want the user to see the "configure" button so that there is no mystery about what to do if all is not as they want it.

Pentium44

#3 Post by Pentium44 »

Thanks for replying, I will be working on it, and I think imma make it nice and easy for users

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

here's my effort... might be helpful plus have picked up info on qemu usage.... never got to play with usb and such though.

mike
Attachments
qemugui.png
(46.28 KiB) Downloaded 386 times

Pentium44

#5 Post by Pentium44 »

Looks good, if you have code, that will help some!

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

Ok there you go.... hopefully its useful to you in some way.....

mike
Attachments
qemu-gui.zip
(1.37 KiB) Downloaded 516 times

neerajkolte

#7 Post by neerajkolte »

Hi,
I am using fatdog64-630 and recently installed KVM-qemu to run win7 and precise puppy 5.7.1.
I liked the GUI mikeb showed.
I just have two suggestions.
1) If possible adding an option to enter host folder to be shared with guest.
2) also just some blank space to physically add some command line options for advance users.
Thanks in advance.
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

mikeb

#8 Post by mikeb »

2) also just some blank space to physically add some command line options for advance users.
1....hmm never looked into that ...perhaps my qemu is too old when I wrote this. I got NFS working and did include a samba option.
2......yes good idea.... I use it for testing rather than running full time virtual systems so my needs are a little simpler (eg no usb)

pentium44 was working on this...I just was giving a 'heads up' but thanks for the suggestions

mike

Moose On The Loose

#9 Post by Moose On The Loose »

mikeb wrote:
1....hmm never looked into that ...perhaps my qemu is too old when I wrote this. I got NFS working and did include a samba option.
2......yes good idea.... I use it for testing rather than running full time virtual systems so my needs are a little simpler (eg no usb)

pentium44 was working on this...I just was giving a 'heads up' but thanks for the suggestions

mike
It would also be nice to be able to put a floppy image into qemu. I think it handles floppies.

mikeb

#10 Post by mikeb »

It might but I don't as I lobbed those unreliable beasties years ago

Does make testing a little awkward. :D

If pentium44 is not picking this up perhaps someone else can....

mike

neerajkolte

#11 Post by neerajkolte »

Hi mikeb,
I am using Fatdog64 as host, it has KVM support built in kernel, I have installed qemu-1.5.3-arm-x86_64-622.pet from Fatdog's package manager. I usually run Qemu with command

Code: Select all

# qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -m 1024 -boot d -cdrom /aufs/devsave/LinuxTools/Fatdog_precise.iso -hda /aufs/devsave/vHDD.img
When I ran your GUI script it runs OK, I can see the GUI but in terminal it said

# ls
qemu-1.5.3-arm-x86_64-622.pet  qemu-gui.zip  qemu_nim
# ./qemu_nim
FATAL: Module kqemu not found.
And when I clicked on "Run Qemu" it said

sh: line 19: qemu: command not found
Please tell me what I need to change in your GUI code to make it work.
Thanks in advance...
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

mikeb

#12 Post by mikeb »

"neerajkolte
Ok getting up to speed on this... here is a quick hack to test with though there will be refinements and additions happening later.

mike
Attachments
qemu-hack1.tar.gz
(1.46 KiB) Downloaded 466 times

neerajkolte

#13 Post by neerajkolte »

Thanks mikeb,
The hack boots nicely.
- Ken Thompson

- Amara’s Law.