Trying to create a COMPLETE pdf document with Abiword...

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
benny7440

Trying to create a COMPLETE pdf document with Abiword...

#1 Post by benny7440 »

I'm working in Puppy Linux 528, started this with Nicoedit after seeing that it could save a file in pdf format; later, when I needed to include Tables & Diagrams/Photos had to keep looking & Geany wasn't useful for this either. So, Abiword was my last installed resource.

What I want is to create a pdf document that, when one opens it, it opens 2 panes:
the left one shows an index - the right one shows the text (automatically).

I went & browsed many pages of Abiword's site but cannot send a NECESSARY message to their mailing list for asking this there. There's a problem with them not allowing the format of my message (tried it two times with the same error). This's why I'm asking this in here.

Thanks!
[b]Toshiba Satellite L555 / ACPI x64-based PC / Intel Core i5 / ~1.46 @ 3 Partitions GB HDD / 4 GB RAM / CD-DVD RW Drive.
[/b]

musher0

#2 Post by musher0 »

Hi, benny.

I believe you're barking up the wrong tree. What you seek is a PDF functionality, you won't find it in abiword.

You can achieve it in Libre|Open Office with the "export to PDF" function.
When that panel opens, it gives you the possibility to do an index by page or section or sub-title. It's not precise in my memory, and I don't have Libre Office installed on this wary 5.5, but I know it does exist.

Also, I believe there are a couple of independent/free/GPL PDF utilities referenced in some threads in this forum that can do what you want.

I'll refresh my memory and come back to you on this, if you want.

BFN.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

benny7440

#3 Post by benny7440 »

Thanks for replying, musher0!

I happenned to have retried to send a simple message to that mailing list for Abiword right now & received the same error again. Can you shed some light over this? Is this something I'm doing wrong?

"This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

abiword-user-request@abiword.snt.utwente.nl
SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
host abiword.snt.utwente.nl [130.89.149.216]:
550 5.7.1 HTML not allowed. Configure your mail program properly
"

I've reproduced the message received by my mailer above...
[b]Toshiba Satellite L555 / ACPI x64-based PC / Intel Core i5 / ~1.46 @ 3 Partitions GB HDD / 4 GB RAM / CD-DVD RW Drive.
[/b]

musher0

#4 Post by musher0 »

Hello again, benny7440. :)

I believe this PDF bookmarks creator is what you are looking for.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/jpdfboo ... source=dlp

This stand-alone java PDF utility is interesting because it frees you from the servitude of relying on any word processor. You can write your document in whatever editor or word processor you like, export it as a PDF document, and then create your own bookmarks for the document with this "jpdfbookmarks".

It uses java, so you will need to have a java JRE installed in your Puppy, either directly or as a SFS file.

Illustration and ready-to-go pet archive attached.

Difference of this pet package with the original tar.gz file:
* windows loaders have been removed (they are of no use on a linux-only set-up)
* desktop file and /usr/bin link have been added so jPDFbookmarks will appear in your menu.

This means: simply download and install this pet*, and you'll be ready to create and/or edit bookmarks in a PDF file.

Any constructive feedback will be appreciated.

Best regards.

musher0

~~~~~~~~~~~~
* This jpdfbookmarks pet file can be downloaded from: http://limelinx.com/f7hos

For other useful pdf resources on PuppyLinux, please see: http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PDF
Attachments
jpdfbookmarks.jpg
(58.57 KiB) Downloaded 685 times
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

musher0

#5 Post by musher0 »

Great minds meet, I suppose, your new message was registered as I was finishing my new one!

Unfortunately, I cannot shed any light on the abiword forum situation.
Is it down? Try http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

I'll say it again: yours is not an abiword problem. You don't need to ask the abiword people. abiword can "export" or "print" to pdf, and with the proper plug-in, it can read a pdf as a text file, but that's all. abiword is a wordprocessor, not a page-layout organizer, such as FoxIT or Adobe, etc.

I think you will find the jpdfbookmarks most helpful for creating references within your pdf document.

Best regards.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

benny7440

#6 Post by benny7440 »

Thanks for replying, musher0!

Great resource that one for investigating the status of a webpage, never have seen it before but I'll keep it in a safe place for now on! For sure, I'll spread its existence to others...

I'll check now the info on the wikka & the pet file you suggests; when I make my mind & proceed with my 'editing' thing I'll post back (hopefully this weekend).

Thank you for your support & links supplied, musher0!
[/b]

musher0

#7 Post by musher0 »

My pleasure!
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

benny7440

#8 Post by benny7440 »

I d/l the pet file & installed. Apparently, it's running ok but I need until I'm more awaken than I'm now for testing/using it. I'll try to do it tommorrow & then post something else.

Thanks very much!

benny7440

#9 Post by benny7440 »

I've played a little with the application & it looks capable of doing the job very well, thank you musher0!

The instructions are very clear (website based page) but I confused the entries shown there & copied the format of them & I got a mess..., nothing irreparable, though.

musher0

#10 Post by musher0 »

Hi, benny7440.

Good to hear! I guess one has to do a couple of practice runs, like with any new program.

Have a great day!

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Pelo

Abiword creates PDFs

#11 Post by Pelo »

Abiword creates PDFs very easily
Use the print preview menu / save a copy as pdf to tmp / just tell him to save to root
Attachments
pdfABIWORD.jpg
(113.06 KiB) Downloaded 400 times

benny7440

[SOLVED]

#12 Post by benny7440 »

Thank you for replying, Pelo!

I did learn that while dealing with the issue. I thought this thread was clearly already solved.

PS. Thanks musher0, I'm already editing my entry to include the square braces there.
Last edited by benny7440 on Fri 29 Nov 2013, 19:32, edited 1 time in total.
[/b]

musher0

Re: SOLVED

#13 Post by musher0 »

benny7440 wrote:Thank you for replying, Pelo!

I did learn that while dealing with the issue. I thought this thread was clearly already solved.
Hi, Benny7440.

If you think your question has been answered, you can say so by adding
"[SOLVED]" (without the quotation marks) to your title.

Best regards.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~