OLD STUFFS

Here's RC
http://01micko.com/testing/slacko-5.7rc/

OR

http://smokey01.com/01micko/testing/slacko-5.7rc/

4g iso : 160M
PAE iso 161M
devx : 140M
kernel src : 89M from http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... -slacko14/ and mirrors

4G version is 5.6.8 kernel 3.4.82 and PAE is 5.6.8.0 kernel 3.10.32
================================================================================================

changelog wrote:UTC Mon Mar 3 06:12:14 2014
jwm-901-i486 upgraded. Fixes various issues. See:
http://joewing.net//projects/jwm/snapshots/ChangeLog
pmusic-4.2.7 upgraded.
linux 3.10.32 upgraded. See https://kernel.org (PAE version)
linux 3.4.82 upgraded, See https://kernel.org (4G version)
sdl-1.2.14 patched with debian fullscreen patch : SFR
rp_pppoe_cli-3.8-patched4-p4 upgraded with zigbert's gui
xarchive-0.2.8.6-i486 upgraded : improved wrappers by SFR
UTC Tue Mar 4 00:24:05 2014
subversion-1.7.16-i486-1_slack14.0 upgraded : slackware security fix
curl-7.35.0-i486-1_slack14.0 upgraded : slackware security fix
gnutls-3.0.31-i486-3_slack14.0 upgraded : slackware security fix
stardust theme moved to woof
UTC Fri Mar 7 03:06:03 2014
video_upgrade-0.5 : bugfix and updated
pclock-0.7.2 upgraded
ptiming-1.0.3 upgraded
pschedule-1.1.4 upgraded
many icons fixed almost eliminating mini-icons, note : versions are the same.
pfind-5.12 upgraded
sfs_manager-0.8 upgraded
People are wondering why I include abiword-2.9.4. Abi 2.8.6 (latest stable from 2009) will not build with the current libs. Sure, there's BK's wary version but that spits out more errors than I wish to mention, I hardly call that stable, especially when it has crashed on me a number of times. If you want to use Puppy for productivity (it is a hobby distro) use LibreOffice, Open Office, TextMaker Office or if you must, MS office in Wine. As far as I know up to 2007 works. There are other alternatives such as Ted, RTFEdit, and a Chinese office called KingSoft Office. Abiword is included for posterity and will be unceremoniously dumped by me as quick as 5.7 is out. I hate it. In saying all that, Abiword is just fine for typing letters to Nan, opening (read only) most MS documents and very basic stuff.

Sorry if that disappoints but that is the truth. Not much can be done right now. Personally, I use LibreOffice. I know its "fat" in Puppy terms but it runs just fine on my old celeron laptop, (circa 2004). I've kept version 4.1 as the standard in the sfs repo as its a bit smaller than 4.2 and later.

Other than that, I think this is looking and performing the goods. At the woof-CE level, zigbert has refined nearly all GUI apps, L18L has refined welcome1stboot, SFR has been busy squashing "under the hood" bugs, and contributions from Iguleder, mavrothal, Karl Godt and others can't be forgotten.

Have fun!
Last edited by 01micko on Sun 09 Mar 2014, 05:34, edited 13 times in total.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

01micko

#2 Post by 01micko »

Checksums

cc6f3b0dbea77442dbe52b07348fed27 slacko-5.6.3.iso
7bf1f4134907593712250f676b6b404d slacko-5.6.1.iso___slacko-5.6.3.iso.delta
2c36596733c633685f459923feff47c4 devx_slacko_5.6.3.sfs

Devx
http://01micko.com/testing/5.6.3/devx_slacko_5.6.3.sfs

mavrothal

#3 Post by mavrothal »

Updated 5.6.1 to 5.6.3 smoothly.
All setting kept global font size disappeared from the menu.
Zigbert's improvements work fine. You may want to remove the Gfontsel desktop entry and maybe Xfontsel could be called from fontmanager too (Zigbert :wink: )
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

peebee

Re: Slacko testing (for 5.7)

#4 Post by peebee »

01micko wrote:Slacko testing... Enjoy!
Hi Mick

Many thanks for the iso delta - great improvement.

Quick test shows everything working in frugal install on my HP550 laptop. (LXDE & Compiz successfully added).

Only funny I've detected is that PuppyHelp seems to have disappeared - not sure if this is deliberate (it was getting a bit out of date) - I notice because I include it in my LXDE pre-defined top-panel.

A couple of questions if I may....

- is k3.10.19 the likely final pae kernel version? If it is, do you want the Broadcom-STA pet for k3.10.19?

- is the Slackware base 14.0 or 14.1? Distrospecs shows 14.0. Will we be moving to 14.1 during the update process?

Seems like an Alpha that should quickly move to Beta and then RC.

Cheers
Peter
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

gcmartin

#5 Post by gcmartin »

Experimental SAMBA 4.1.0 via the alpha PET works fine, OOTB. Other PCs on the LAN can see the Download folder sharing from this PC.

Code: Select all

# uname -r
# samba -V
Version 4.1.0
:)

Ted Dog

#6 Post by Ted Dog »

thanks for the delta as well. hope others will follow suite. was going to become an expert on woofce just to reduce my pay as you go broadband and stay up to date. Hope others will be available to help me setup my woof build system over this thanksgiving (will have access to high speed internet for free to me) DOES ANYONE KNOW SIZES REQUIRED TO HOLD A WOOF BUILD SYSTEM, NEVER ANSWERED WHEN ASKED BEFORE!

pemasu

#7 Post by pemasu »

My dpup wheezy woof folder with all contents including created iso and devx.sfs - meaning whole stuff - is about 3 Gb.

Ted Dog

#8 Post by Ted Dog »

perfect I can build from RAM and not have to bring my server, kinda obvious I going to be up to something hauling in a desktop keyboard and monitor over at thanksgiving. :wink: my laptop can handle that size nicely and still have double ram to spare. Now when everybody is nose deep in there iPads apple air books etc, I ll blend in.

Iguleder

#9 Post by Iguleder »

It's great to see the new Slacko shaping up!

My laptop is back, so I can finally run woof-CE in less than two days. Tomorrow, I want to do a test woof-CE build with tinyxserver.

If everything works right, the next logical step is Slacko with a 64 bit kernel and the same user mode :wink:
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

Karl Godt

#10 Post by Karl Godt »

Thanks for the delta from me, too !

Would suggest to offer deltas only, for zetas, alphas, omegas or testings after the first testing.iso release. :lol:
What was that alphaos ? :lol:

SFR

#11 Post by SFR »

Hi Mick

It's getting harder and harder to find new bugs. :wink:

Yet another case of missing quotes to collection, /usr/sbin/setup-spot, line 25:

[ "$1" ] && while [ "$1" ]; do ARGS="$ARGS \"$1\""; shift; done
If the first $1 isn't wrapped, an arg with spaces willl cause "too many arguments" error and empty ARGS var.

Somehow have survived my previous hunting - fixed broken icons in xlock & firewallgtk (attached).

Just for the record: it turned out that the case of "always max quality" is strictly connected to rtl8192se/rtlwifi driver (my Toshiba's wireless card).
On Acer with ath9k it's all ok. :)

Thanks &
Greetings!
Attachments
firewallgtk_xlock_fixed_icons.tar.gz
(2.58 KiB) Downloaded 1757 times
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

Ted Dog

#12 Post by Ted Dog »

now this maybe the time to request distributed compile setup like fatdog64 has added into devx. its small but useful in the bulk compiling. share the compiling tasks across multiple networked computers.

Karl Godt

#13 Post by Karl Godt »

Ted Dog wrote:now this maybe the time to request distributed compile setup like fatdog64 has added into devx. its small but useful in the bulk compiling. share the compiling tasks across multiple networked computers.
Link please.

James C

#14 Post by James C »

Quick manual frugal install on yet another old box. All good on initial boot except internet didn't auto-connect. SNS made quick work of that. Otherwise,all good so far.

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Slacko Puppy, version 5.6.3

Chip description:
VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

Requested by /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Resolution (widthxheight, in pixels): 1024x768
Depth (bits, or planes): 24
Modules requested to be loaded: dbe

Probing Xorg startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
Driver loaded (and currently in use): intel
Loaded modules: dbe dri dri2 extmod fb glx kbd mouse record

Actual rendering on monitor:
Resolution: 1024x768 pixels (270x203 millimeters)
Depth: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
377 frames in 5.0 seconds = 75.316 FPS
376 frames in 5.0 seconds = 75.141 FPS
376 frames in 5.0 seconds = 75.139 FPS
376 frames in 5.0 seconds = 75.130 FPS
376 frames in 5.0 seconds = 75.164 FPS
-Computer-
Processor : 2x Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Memory : 1016MB (170MB used)
Machine Type : Physical machine
Operating System : Slacko Puppy - 5.6.3
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Wed 27 Nov 2013 05:32:34 PM CST
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Mesa DRI Intel(R) 865G x86/MMX/SSE2
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-

Multimedia audio controller : Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
Ethernet controller : Intel Corporation 82541EI Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Ted Dog

#15 Post by Ted Dog »

Karl Godt wrote:
Ted Dog wrote:now this maybe the time to request distributed compile setup like fatdog64 has added into devx. its small but useful in the bulk compiling. share the compiling tasks across multiple networked computers.
Link please.
its on JamesBonds blog page hope its linked somewhere on this forum. On cell phone now...

http://jamesbond3142.no-ip.org/wiki/wik ... singDistcc

01micko

Re: Slacko testing (for 5.7)

#16 Post by 01micko »

peebee wrote: - is k3.10.19 the likely final pae kernel version? If it is, do you want the Broadcom-STA pet for k3.10.19?
No, what I should do is see if I can automate the process in kernel-kit.
peebee wrote: - is the Slackware base 14.0 or 14.1? Distrospecs shows 14.0. Will we be moving to 14.1 during the update process?
No, staying with 14.0 for a little while. When we add 64 bit support it will be logical to support 14.1 then, however, I think salix is suffering from the lack of dev syndrome too as I don't think they have the human resources to build 14.1 packages or a 14.1 based distro.
SFR wrote:If the first $1 isn't wrapped, an arg with spaces willl cause "too many arguments" error and empty ARGS var.
got it, thanks.
SFR wrote:Somehow have survived my previous hunting - fixed broken icons in xlock & firewallgtk (attached).
Ok, firewallstate is in slacko repo, easy fix, xlock_gui is in common, I don't have access so I will throw it in the z_base_hacks pet.

James C

#17 Post by James C »

Upgraded frugal from 5.6.1 to 5.6.3....... no troubles.

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Slacko Puppy, version 5.6.3

Chip description:
VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x] (rev c1)

Requested by /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Resolution (widthxheight, in pixels): 1440x900
Depth (bits, or planes): 24
Modules requested to be loaded: dbe

Probing Xorg startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
Driver loaded (and currently in use): nouveau
Loaded modules: dbe dri dri2 exa extmod fb glx kbd mouse record shadowfb

Actual rendering on monitor:
Resolution: 1440x900 pixels (380x238 millimeters)
Depth: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
1795 frames in 5.0 seconds = 358.573 FPS
1762 frames in 5.0 seconds = 352.379 FPS
1806 frames in 5.0 seconds = 360.741 FPS
1814 frames in 5.0 seconds = 362.755 FPS
1845 frames in 5.0 seconds = 368.903 FPS

-Computer-
Processor : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+
Memory : 1033MB (215MB used)
Machine Type : Physical machine
Operating System : Slacko Puppy - 5.6.3
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Wed 27 Nov 2013 10:03:42 PM CST
-Display-
Resolution : 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Mesa DRI nv18 x86/MMX+/3DNow!+/SSE
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter : VIA8233 - VIA 8235

sszindian

#18 Post by sszindian »

Upgrade from 5.6.1 to 5.6.3 (w/Delta file) went smooth, just had to replace desktop background and remove desktop icons... wbar icons came through without a hitch.

I really couldn't find any major faults with 5.6.1

This build with the 3.10.19 Kernel is without doubt, the best yet at least for my P-4 Dell 3000. Most responsive and very very fast.

About the only issue I could find is with xscreensaver. The program functions well with all the standard screensaver modules included but... that darn old GLslideshow, Carousel, or others that require pictures or graphics to display... just won't work! Sure would be nice to see that little thing 'fixed' (or explain how we can fix it ourselves) before the 5.7 release? You're probably the only one capible of correcting that!

Otherwise... very nice piece of work!

>>>---Indian------>
Attachments
Desktop-5.6.3.png
(162.43 KiB) Downloaded 4725 times
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

gcmartin

SAMBA 4.1+ in upcoming 64bit Slacko, OOTB?

#19 Post by gcmartin »

@Iguleder is working along with several others on fashioning this offering. Collaboration is a beautiful thing as everyone is assisting to test and help where possible. A 64bit Slacko to accompany the 32bit Slacko is another version which will cover most, if not all of the x86 architectures with a consistent framework for the user community. An enormous feat and a great demonstration in how we CAN work together for a common good!

The 2 flagship 64bit PUPs, up until now, were built with the knowledge of a PC that is of the 2007 design and up. That is to say, there is enough RAM on the MB to accomodate a RAM-centric 64bit distro with applications which mirror 32bit PUPs. Both of these, FATDOG and LightHouse64 also acknowledged that they could ship a distro which eliminated the need and stress of installing-setup SMB sharing. This sharing is essential to provide Linux with the same kind of sharing on the LAN that Windows and Apple have had for over a decade (in fact, in 2015 it will be 2 decades). 01Micko assisted LightHouse64 with his SAMBA Simple Management (SSM) which is an all-in-one visual utility for SAMBA operations and LAN sharing for those who would struggle to launch OOTB. He provides the same with his built-in SAMBA in his PhatSlacko, as well.

I want to make a 64bit system request and ask that you evaluate/consider
Since FATDOG and LH64 has provides a very good pattern of including SAMBA technology in 64bit implementations with little to no impact on system operations, would you also package 01Micko's or TaZoC's SAMBA as they embrace current IEEE standards for LAN operations across all platforms in an OOTB distro? (This would provide consistent LAN sharing, OOTB, from all of PUPs mainline 64bit distros whereas consistent and equivalent functionality is provide the user.) In testing, I have NOT observe any negative behavior from either of these 2 systems in the 3 years of their use. RAM impact is less than 10MB and system or application performance is not impacted because of a running SAMBA service. Latest SAMBA 4.10 from 01Micko has already been tested in this 32bit Slacko and as it was in PhatSlacko, there is no observable impact that comes with its functionality. They have a painless implementation that is built-in/OOTB.

I know that this is going to bring a very fast high-octane distro just as we've seen in the Puppy past. 64bit offers good channeling and services to applications and ultimately to the user's desktop.

Hope this helps

SFR

#20 Post by SFR »

sszindian wrote:About the only issue I could find is with xscreensaver. The program functions well with all the standard screensaver modules included but... that darn old GLslideshow, Carousel, or others that require pictures or graphics to display... just won't work
Hey Sszindian

It's enough to always run xscreensaver and xscreensaver-demo as user spot, e.g.:

su spot -c xscreensaver-demo
Carousel works fine, but GLSlideshow segfaults (probably due to missing Helvetica font).

Additionaly, if you also want to use 'screen-lock' feature, set 'suid' bit for /usr/bin/xscreensaver:

chmod +s /usr/bin/xscreensaver
And make sure that password for spot is set!
Then restart xscreensaver daemon (as spot).
Screen can be unlocked using both root and spot passwords.

The only downside I've noticed is that if one of GL screensavers is running, the box with password prompt may not be displayed and password has to be entered "blindly" then.
But this can be overridden by setting 'Settings -> Advanced -> Visual' to be "TrueColor", which is unfortunately slower than GL.

HTH
Greetings!
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(56.02 KiB) Downloaded 4673 times
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]