Lucid Puppy Revitalized as 5.2.8.7 - Nov., 2017 - Final

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
rerwin

Lucid Puppy Revitalized as 5.2.8.7 - Nov., 2017 - Final

#1 Post by rerwin »

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The final variants for the 2017 release are here (20171125):
http://www.mediafire.com/?5il6yef4h3sdj
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BEWARE! Seamonkey 2.48 will not work in Lucid Pups without some help. However, this can be partially resolved by installing packages provided in my posting here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 368#963368
-- Partial workaround for 2017 release available, but is not a complete fix:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/hnywn3e12 ... 171103.pet
-- Recommendation: Stay with 2.46 or try 2.48 in a nonessential test installation.

The popular Lucid Puppy has been upgraded with its major components brought up to date. Although links to the individual disk image (ISO) files are provided below, the disk-image download site is:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/y3rkzh ... es-5.2.8.7

The final versions of 5.2.8.6 are still at:
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/dc28t2r ... es-5.2.8.6

This thread is intended as the maintenance center for further support of Lucid Pup. The next few messages are reserved for particular subjects, specifically issues related to reinstallation with later versions of the ISO files and collection of links to component package updated since the latest upgrade date. I hope this thread can become a resource for users as well as a feedback thread. (The original Lucid Pup 5.2.8 thread was:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 253#554253)

The download site contains a set of ISO files of identical function, different only in their internal structure. All were created with the "remaster" tool. Of all these variants, the one that supports both dialup hardware and the (xz) compression method used in modern SFS files is lupusuper2 (or lupusuper2plus, with LibreOffice, or lupusuper2libre)The ISO files will be updated together and will have the same date-tag in their names. The "libre" and "plus" files may be updated with later versions of LibreOffice but the date stamp may be unchanged because it relates only to the puppy version.

Note that Lucid Pup is not released in the same manner as other puppy projects. The version level is frozen at "5.2.8", so that all puppy-main files are named "lupu_528" and will not trigger the normal pupsave-update function. To manage the cases where a pet package has been installed and becomes part of a later upgrade of lupu, after replacement of the main files in a frugal installation and subsequent boot-up, a check is made for packages now included in the main (lupu_528) file. If a conflict is found, a (pop-up) recommendation is made to uninstall the conflicting package, so as to utilize the new version in lupu.

This effort is endorsed by the originator of Lucid Pup, playdayz, who has committed to maintain the QuickPet aspect of lucid support and advise me in maintaining the core of Lucid Pup. A big "thank you", playdayz!

The history of the upgrades made to lupu528-005 to create 5.2.8.6 and the initial 5.2.8.7 is here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 108#726108

Mirror sites are:
Last edited by rerwin on Thu 21 Jun 2018, 21:18, edited 57 times in total.

rerwin

Supplements to Lucid Pup 5.2.8.7-20161228

#2 Post by rerwin »

Here are packages that can be added to the 2016 Lucid puppies:Note: These are included in the 2017 release.
Attachments
libxcb-randr0_1.5-2ubuntu0.1_i386.deb.gz
Needed for reshiftgui.
Click on file to unzip it, then on the .deb, to install.
(15.55 KiB) Downloaded 1072 times
python_fix_for_5.2.8.7-20161228.pet
Sets python symlink to python2.6.
(342 Bytes) Downloaded 1103 times
Last edited by rerwin on Fri 08 Dec 2017, 16:28, edited 5 times in total.

rerwin

Links to Supplemental (pet, sfs) Packages

#3 Post by rerwin »

Development Support, Proprietary Drivers Video graphics drivers Applications Kernel Source
Last edited by rerwin on Thu 22 Dec 2016, 20:02, edited 14 times in total.

ally

#4 Post by ally »

majorfoo

#5 Post by majorfoo »

D/l latest THD version and did full install
Everything I have tried OTB works. Very fast bootup and every app I have opened is very responsive

Good job. Glad to see you working on the 528 series.
Plan to try remaster this weekend on regular 528 and THD

I appreciate your dedication to this project and look forward to using these puppies for a long time.

Regards
Majorfoo

mavrothal

Re: Lucid Puppy Revitalized as 5.2.8.6!

#6 Post by mavrothal »

rerwin wrote: The version level is frozen at "5.2.8", so that all puppy-main files are named "lupu_528" and will not trigger the normal pupsave-update function.
But why?
(if discussed before pls point me to it)
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

rerwin

#7 Post by rerwin »

mavrothal,
I have never gotten into the business of maintaining a distro, but feel comfortable doing remasters, which is how playdayz, as I understand, maintained lupu. I have no experience with bumping version numbers and whatever goes along with that, so simply continue playdayz' practice with the "528-00x" series. Consider this as 528-006.

I want to keep lupu going by adding only essential fixes that remove impediments to keeping lupu for basic long-term functions, for those already committed to using lupu because of its stability. It won't be able to keep up with the capabilities of the newer kernels and apps.

I will need to just freeze 5.2.8.6 fairly soon and use this thread for adding packages for patches and links to upgraded components. But I hope the final 5.2.8.6 will be solid enough that no critical fixes are needed.

In addition to keeping lupu pasted together, we can use this thread for improving the functionality of the lupusuper/sulu variants of lupu for various k3.x kernels. But that goes beyond my mission to maintain lupu as is. I will leave it to others to innovate with sulu, although I can help by consolidating the results of experimentation for general use.
Richard

shinobar

mirror

#8 Post by shinobar »

lupuxxxx-5.2.8.6-20131124 mirrored:
http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?puppy/lupu/test/
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

mavrothal

#9 Post by mavrothal »

rerwin wrote: I have no experience with bumping version numbers and whatever goes along with that, so simply continue playdayz' practice with the "528-00x" series. Consider this as 528-006.
Actually bumping version is _very_ simple and can be done manually.
All you need is to change the version number in DISTRO_SPECS and the corresponding names of the sfs files.
The only "tricky" thing I can think is that you also have to change the version number in the intird/DISTRO_SPECS. but is really simple:

Code: Select all

cd /path/to/initrd.gz
mkdir initfs
cd initfs
gunzip -c ../initrd.gz | cpio -i
# edit what you need to edit in DISTRO_SPECS
mv ../initrd.gz ../initrd.gz.orig #just in case....
find . -print | cpio -H newc -o | gzip -9 > ../initrd.gz
cd ../
rm -rf initfs
I think there is even pets somewhere in the forum that types these 5 lines for you :lol:

I think between 5 rounds of playdayz' updates and 6-7 from you it deserves an updated version 8)
The rational is that Luci is already 2-3 years in use :!: and the save files probably have plenty of files that without a "proper" update may not allow some of the updated files in the SFS to work/showup since the sfs goes at the bottom of the layered file system.

Just my $0.02
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

mikeb

#10 Post by mikeb »

Great to see some down to earth practical stuff going on here.

Some form of long term stable is welcome and basing it on probably one of the best puppy varients around thats popular with good reason is an excellent choice.

Please do keep the version number as a constant too... puppy has suffered version madness along with the rest of the software world recently and the subsequent confusion and almost religious fevour towards such is hardly constuctive.
There would not even be a need for distrospecs if we did not have several entirely different pups all with overlapping version numbers.

Take something that works well and update as needed.... the rate of new hardware seems to have slowed down and drivers can be built for the existing kernels(s) anyway and I find the Lucid software base to be new enough for current reasonable software.
A similar approach with older distros keeps them useful for years...I am still in lenny/slax6/puppy 4 land for day to day usage.

Hope you enjoy the experience rerwin and thanks for stepping in,

regards

mike

Billtoo

Lucid Puppy Revitalized as 5.2.8.6!

#11 Post by Billtoo »

Manual frugal install to a 16gb SDHC card, computer is a gateway
desktop.
video-info-glx 1.5.3 Wed 27 Nov 2013 on Lucid 528 Linux 2.6.33.2 i686
0.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 1082 (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA
product: GF110 Board - 12630002 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: nvidia
X.Org version: 1.7.6
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (513x292 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GTX 560 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 4.2.0 NVIDIA 304.116

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Core 0: @3392 1: @3392 2: @3392 3: @3392 MHz

MultimediaAudio AdapterUSB-Audio - Sound Blaster X-Fi Go! Pro
Network controllerRalink corp. RT3090 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe

The builtin sound card wasn't seen at all but when I plugged in the
usb soundcard it was and it works fine.
The kernel only sees 4 out of 8 cores.
Frisbee setup the wireless without problems.

I tracked down the kernel source sfs and devx and downloaded them from the nluug ftp site.
I installed the xorg hi drivers in quickpet then the latest nvidia
proprietary driver.

That's it so far.

I tried the other 2 iso versions but the 3hd didn't work well and the one with the newer kernel wouldn't boot at all.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(18.64 KiB) Downloaded 57946 times

mikeb

#12 Post by mikeb »

Yes a recent discussion http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=88347 showed that Lucid and other puppy kernels limit the number of cores used ie the CONFIG_NR_CPUS= parameter.
Bit like the limit of loop devices...why...don't ask . The latter can be overwridden with a boot parameter so its possible the number of cores can be too.

mike

rerwin

#13 Post by rerwin »

Billtoo,
Please tell us more about your built-in sound card, particularly its hardware ID and whatever description you can find. While I am not eager to try to keep up with new hardware, the basic info can help to determine if there is an easy remedy for supporting it.

Billtoo

#14 Post by Billtoo »

rerwin wrote:Billtoo,
Please tell us more about your built-in sound card, particularly its hardware ID and whatever description you can find. While I am not eager to try to keep up with new hardware, the basic info can help to determine if there is an easy remedy for supporting it.
I moved the SDHC card to another pc:

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Wed 27 Nov 2013 on Lucid 528 Linux 2.6.33.2 i686
0.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 430] (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA
product: GF108 Board - 1071v1p1 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: nvidia
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (513x292 millimeters)

server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GT 430/PCIe/SSE2/3DNOW!
OpenGL version string: 4.2.0 NVIDIA 304.116

AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 810 Processor
Core 0: @2592 1: @2592 2: @2592 3: @2592 MHz

The builtin sound card doesn't work on this one either but the usb card is working fine.

MultimediaAudio AdapterHDA-Intel - HDA ATI SBAudio Adapter
USB-Audio - Sound Blaster X-Fi Go! Pro

EDIT:
The usb soundcard is working fine so I think I'll quit while I'm ahead and use that one :)

Thanks
Attachments
screenshot2.jpg
(38.88 KiB) Downloaded 56436 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Thu 28 Nov 2013, 01:35, edited 1 time in total.

wboz

#15 Post by wboz »

RE the comment that Lucid is one of the most popular versions - why is this?

I tried both Lucid and Precise - mostly because I failed to realize that Precise was available initially. And I've thought about trying Racy and Slacko, but every time I do, I sort of think .. well, what's REALLY the difference? Because I saw little difference between Lucid and Precise, aside from the fact that Precise lacked some configuration options and ran "hotter" temp wise. (So I too am running Lucid atm!)

I personally value ease of use & setup, pleasing UI, and a high-spec browser. On this computer I do nearly everything in the browser, so I favor slim OS with little software.

I'm sure more knowlegable people than I can just compare the version descriptions, but I'd love even just two sentences on what makes one version of Puppy preferred over another .. :D

bigpup

#16 Post by bigpup »

Precise is new dog in Puppy kennels. Developed to support the newest hardware. Newest Linux kernel, etc... However being so new it is not fully bug fixed and tested.
Does implement newest changes to Puppy core programs.

Lucid Puppy has been developed over the past 3 years and been tested to the max.
Closes thing to a long term support version of Puppy.
Tries to stay updated to the newest changes to Puppy core programs that work.
Has had very good support from everyone, in trying to make it 100% bug free.
Has good software support.
Generally supports a large range of hardware from very old to very new.
Supporting the very new is the biggest issue, but newer versions of Puppy do that.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Billtoo

#17 Post by Billtoo »

Manual frugal install to an 8gb SDHC card, computer is an AAO 721-3801
netbook.
video-info-glx 1.5.3 Thu 28 Nov 2013 on Lucid 528 Linux 2.6.33.2 i686
5.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M880G [Mobility Radeon HD 4200]
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS
product: RS880M 01.00

X Server: Xorg Driver: fglrx
dimensions: 1024x600 pixels (270x158 millimeters)

server glx vendor string: ATI
OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series
OpenGL version string: 3.3.11672 Compatibility Profile Context

AMD Athlon(tm) II Neo K125 Processor
Core 0: @1695 MHz

Network controllerBroadcom Corporation BCM43225 802.11b/g/n (rev 01)

The network setup with SNS,sound is working.
I compiled the amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-legacy-linux-x86.x86_64.run
proprietary driver after installing the xorg hi driver in quickpet.

5.2.8.6 is working great so far.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(42.48 KiB) Downloaded 3549 times

Billtoo

#18 Post by Billtoo »

Manual frugal install to a 4gb flash drive, computer is an hp desktop.

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Thu 28 Nov 2013 on Lucid 528 Linux 2.6.33.2 i686
0.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV530 [Radeon X1600]
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS
product: RV530 01.00

X Server: Xorg Driver: radeon
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (507x285 millimeters)

server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
OpenGL vendor string: DRI R300 Project
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R300 (RV530 71C2) 20090101 AGP 4x x86/MMX+/3DNow!+/SSE2 TCL
OpenGL version string: 1.5 Mesa 7.7.1

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3300+
Core 0: @2410 MHz

Multimedia audio controller
Creative Labs CA0106 Soundblaster

Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet (rev 90)

I installed xorg hi from quickpet.
Also installed Ratpoison window manager.

5.2.8.6 is working well on this pc.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(61.23 KiB) Downloaded 3435 times

playdayz

#19 Post by playdayz »

remasters, which is how playdayz, as I understand, maintained lupu.
Lucid was built with Woof from 5.0 to 5.2.8. Then 001-005 were done with rerwin's excellent remasterpup2 program.

The version number basically showed the Puppy's place in the development of Woof. The last official Lucid was 5.2.8 because it was to be supplanted by Slacko which debuted at 5.3. I do not think that version number should be changed unless Lucid was to be substantially revamped, such that, for instance, the basic libraries would be updated so that lucid could run the latest browsers without errors; as it is it is limited to Firefox and Seamonkey. But that would be a huge amount of work, recompiling all the libraries, and then retesting everything--it would be as much work as the original development. The the lucid Lynx programs would be out of date anyway. But with that much trouble why not start from scratch--in fact, starting from scratch would be easier.

Lucid was great, and rerwin's update provides a treat and some continued lifespan for Lucid. But the reason Lucid was great was all the testing it received--look back, there were about 100 pages or more of forum pages for *each* version of Lucid.

One thing that was different at the time of the development of Lucid was that everyone in the Puppy community participated in testing. All of the puplets and derivatives are fabulous, but IMHO there ought to be one Puppy that gets the full treatment--testing by everyone. And that Puppy ought to be the one that newcomers to Puppy should try first. I notice that Slacko is beginning the development cycle for 5.7. It already has the latest programs and the latest libraries and I urge everyone to get over there and test the hell out of it. Find any bugs and hardware incompatibilities now, run up 100 pages of testing, and make 01micko work for his money!!!
I'm sure more knowledgeable people than I can just compare the version descriptions, but I'd love even just two sentences on what makes one version of Puppy preferred over another .
The main difference IMHO is that some rare (and some new) hardware will run in some Puppies and not in others--also some new software, particularly "hi-spec browsers" will not run in older Puppies. Other than that, again IMHO, 99% of the difference is mainly design choices in the GUI by the person who built the Puppy--not to say that those are not important to the user experience. You want the new browsers, try the Puppy I mentioned that is just beginning 5.7 development--and have your own input into how it works for you--that's much of the fun. Precise is a special case, IMHO (how many times can I say that in one paragraph) someone needs to adopt it and do what I did in the development of Lucid, and what 01micko has done with Slacko. It is extremely hard work.
Last edited by playdayz on Thu 28 Nov 2013, 16:54, edited 2 times in total.

mikeb

#20 Post by mikeb »

Was... I have yet to move up to lucid for day to day use ...its just sat ready for the day :D.
And I remember having to fix some of those woof bugs too...my sympathies. I was making a custom 525 at the time.

Its normal in the software world to have a stable version...only here are beginners offered the beta releases primarily.... one reason this forum is so busy. Its also nice to build for a stable release too...less to deal with and your produce will generally be good for the newest kids in the block too.

Never got this new hardware = new kernel thing.... drivers can usually be built on a wide range of kernel versions.

Anyway if not for Lucid I would have probably would have strayed a long time ago... so i hold you all responsible.

mike