Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 29 Jul 2014, 15:28
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Lucid Puppy Revitalized as 5.2.8.6!
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 13 [193 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 11, 12, 13 Next
rerwin

PostPosted: Mon 25 Nov 2013, 20:03    Post subject:  Lucid Puppy Revitalized as 5.2.8.6!
Subject description: Lupu-528-005 upgraded with recent versions of many components.

The popular Lucid Puppy has been upgraded with its major components brought up to date. Although links to the individual disk image (ISO) files are provided below, the initial download site is:

http://www.mediafire.com/folder/dc28t2rkua3kw/Disk_Images-5.2.8.6

This thread is intended as the maintenance center for further support of Lucid Pup. The next few messages are reserved for particular subjects, specifically issues related to reinstallation with later versions of the ISO files and collection of links to component package updated since the latest upgrade date. I hope this thread can become a resource for users but not a feedback thread. The original Lucid Pup 5.2.8 thread, for feedback is:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=554253#554253

The download sites contain a set of ISO files of identical function, different only in their internal structure. All were created with the "remaster" tool. Of all these variants, the one that supports both dialup hardware and the (xz) compression method used in modern SFS files is lupusuper2 (or lupusuper2plus, with LibreOffice, or lupusuper2libre)The main ISO files will be updated together and will have the same date-tag in their names. "3hd" and "super" may have later date-tags because they may be updated more frequently, due to their being considered experimental. They provide the full lupu capabilities to newer hardware, but with some risk of incompatibilities with the newer kernels used.

Note that Lucid Pup is not released in the same manner as other puppy projects. The version level is frozen at "5.2.8", so that all puppy-main files are named "lupu_528" and will not trigger the normal pupsave-update function. To manage the cases where a pet package has been installed and becomes part of a later upgrade of lupu, after replacement of the main files in a frugal installation and subsequent boot-up, a check is made for packages now included in the main (lupu_528) file. If a conflict is found, a (pop-up) recommendation is made to uninstall the conflicting package, so as to utilize the new version in lupu.

This effort is endorsed by the originator of Lucid Pup, playdayz, who has committed to maintain the QuickPet aspect of lucid support and advise me in maintaining the core of Lucid Pup. A big "thank you", playdayz!

The history of the upgrades made to lupu528-005 to create 5.2.8.6 is here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=726108#726108

Mirror sites are:

Last edited by rerwin on Sat 10 May 2014, 15:08; edited 25 times in total
rerwin

PostPosted: Mon 25 Nov 2013, 20:03    Post subject:  

reserved
rerwin

PostPosted: Mon 25 Nov 2013, 20:04    Post subject: Links to Supplemental (pet, sfs) Packages  

Development Support, Proprietary Drivers
Video graphics drivers
Applications
Kernel Source

Last edited by rerwin on Thu 24 Jul 2014, 08:44; edited 12 times in total
ally

PostPosted: Mon 25 Nov 2013, 20:22    Post subject:  

mirror:

http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_Lupu_5.2.8.6

Smile
majorfoo

PostPosted: Tue 26 Nov 2013, 15:45    Post subject:  

D/l latest THD version and did full install
Everything I have tried OTB works. Very fast bootup and every app I have opened is very responsive

Good job. Glad to see you working on the 528 series.
Plan to try remaster this weekend on regular 528 and THD

I appreciate your dedication to this project and look forward to using these puppies for a long time.

Regards
Majorfoo
mavrothal

PostPosted: Tue 26 Nov 2013, 17:27    Post subject: Re: Lucid Puppy Revitalized as 5.2.8.6!
Subject description: Lupu-528-005 upgraded with recent versions of many components.

rerwin wrote:

The version level is frozen at "5.2.8", so that all puppy-main files are named "lupu_528" and will not trigger the normal pupsave-update function.

But why?
(if discussed before pls point me to it)

rerwin

PostPosted: Tue 26 Nov 2013, 20:04    Post subject:  

mavrothal,
I have never gotten into the business of maintaining a distro, but feel comfortable doing remasters, which is how playdayz, as I understand, maintained lupu. I have no experience with bumping version numbers and whatever goes along with that, so simply continue playdayz' practice with the "528-00x" series. Consider this as 528-006.

I want to keep lupu going by adding only essential fixes that remove impediments to keeping lupu for basic long-term functions, for those already committed to using lupu because of its stability. It won't be able to keep up with the capabilities of the newer kernels and apps.

I will need to just freeze 5.2.8.6 fairly soon and use this thread for adding packages for patches and links to upgraded components. But I hope the final 5.2.8.6 will be solid enough that no critical fixes are needed.

In addition to keeping lupu pasted together, we can use this thread for improving the functionality of the lupusuper/sulu variants of lupu for various k3.x kernels. But that goes beyond my mission to maintain lupu as is. I will leave it to others to innovate with sulu, although I can help by consolidating the results of experimentation for general use.
Richard
shinobar

PostPosted: Tue 26 Nov 2013, 20:17    Post subject: mirror  

lupuxxxx-5.2.8.6-20131124 mirrored:
http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?puppy/lupu/test/

mavrothal

PostPosted: Wed 27 Nov 2013, 00:36    Post subject:  

rerwin wrote:

I have no experience with bumping version numbers and whatever goes along with that, so simply continue playdayz' practice with the "528-00x" series. Consider this as 528-006.

Actually bumping version is _very_ simple and can be done manually.
All you need is to change the version number in DISTRO_SPECS and the corresponding names of the sfs files.
The only "tricky" thing I can think is that you also have to change the version number in the intird/DISTRO_SPECS. but is really simple:
Code:
cd /path/to/initrd.gz
mkdir initfs
cd initfs
gunzip -c ../initrd.gz | cpio -i
# edit what you need to edit in DISTRO_SPECS
mv ../initrd.gz ../initrd.gz.orig #just in case....
find . -print | cpio -H newc -o | gzip -9 > ../initrd.gz
cd ../
rm -rf initfs

I think there is even pets somewhere in the forum that types these 5 lines for you Laughing

I think between 5 rounds of playdayz' updates and 6-7 from you it deserves an updated version Cool
The rational is that Luci is already 2-3 years in use Exclamation and the save files probably have plenty of files that without a "proper" update may not allow some of the updated files in the SFS to work/showup since the sfs goes at the bottom of the layered file system.

Just my $0.02

mikeb

PostPosted: Wed 27 Nov 2013, 07:48    Post subject:  

Great to see some down to earth practical stuff going on here.

Some form of long term stable is welcome and basing it on probably one of the best puppy varients around thats popular with good reason is an excellent choice.

Please do keep the version number as a constant too... puppy has suffered version madness along with the rest of the software world recently and the subsequent confusion and almost religious fevour towards such is hardly constuctive.
There would not even be a need for distrospecs if we did not have several entirely different pups all with overlapping version numbers.

Take something that works well and update as needed.... the rate of new hardware seems to have slowed down and drivers can be built for the existing kernels(s) anyway and I find the Lucid software base to be new enough for current reasonable software.
A similar approach with older distros keeps them useful for years...I am still in lenny/slax6/puppy 4 land for day to day usage.

Hope you enjoy the experience rerwin and thanks for stepping in,

regards

mike
Billtoo

PostPosted: Wed 27 Nov 2013, 11:28    Post subject: Lucid Puppy Revitalized as 5.2.8.6!  

Manual frugal install to a 16gb SDHC card, computer is a gateway
desktop.
video-info-glx 1.5.3 Wed 27 Nov 2013 on Lucid 528 Linux 2.6.33.2 i686
0.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 1082 (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA
product: GF110 Board - 12630002 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: nvidia
X.Org version: 1.7.6
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (513x292 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GTX 560 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 4.2.0 NVIDIA 304.116

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Core 0: @3392 1: @3392 2: @3392 3: @3392 MHz

MultimediaAudio AdapterUSB-Audio - Sound Blaster X-Fi Go! Pro
Network controllerRalink corp. RT3090 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe

The builtin sound card wasn't seen at all but when I plugged in the
usb soundcard it was and it works fine.
The kernel only sees 4 out of 8 cores.
Frisbee setup the wireless without problems.

I tracked down the kernel source sfs and devx and downloaded them from the nluug ftp site.
I installed the xorg hi drivers in quickpet then the latest nvidia
proprietary driver.

That's it so far.

I tried the other 2 iso versions but the 3hd didn't work well and the one with the newer kernel wouldn't boot at all.
screenshot.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   18.64 KB
 Viewed   10081 Time(s)

screenshot.jpg

mikeb

PostPosted: Wed 27 Nov 2013, 11:56    Post subject:  

Yes a recent discussion http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=88347 showed that Lucid and other puppy kernels limit the number of cores used ie the CONFIG_NR_CPUS= parameter.
Bit like the limit of loop devices...why...don't ask . The latter can be overwridden with a boot parameter so its possible the number of cores can be too.

mike
rerwin

PostPosted: Wed 27 Nov 2013, 12:24    Post subject:  

Billtoo,
Quote:
Please tell us more about your built-in sound card, particularly its hardware ID and whatever description you can find. While I am not eager to try to keep up with new hardware, the basic info can help to determine if there is an easy remedy for supporting it.
Billtoo

PostPosted: Wed 27 Nov 2013, 12:38    Post subject:  

rerwin wrote:
Billtoo,
Quote:
Please tell us more about your built-in sound card, particularly its hardware ID and whatever description you can find. While I am not eager to try to keep up with new hardware, the basic info can help to determine if there is an easy remedy for supporting it.

I moved the SDHC card to another pc:

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Wed 27 Nov 2013 on Lucid 528 Linux 2.6.33.2 i686
0.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 430] (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA
product: GF108 Board - 1071v1p1 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: nvidia
X.Org version: 1.7.6
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (513x292 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GT 430/PCIe/SSE2/3DNOW!
OpenGL version string: 4.2.0 NVIDIA 304.116

AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 810 Processor
Core 0: @2592 1: @2592 2: @2592 3: @2592 MHz

The builtin sound card doesn't work on this one either but the usb card is working fine.

MultimediaAudio AdapterHDA-Intel - HDA ATI SBAudio Adapter
USB-Audio - Sound Blaster X-Fi Go! Pro

EDIT:
The usb soundcard is working fine so I think I'll quit while I'm ahead and use that one Smile

Thanks
screenshot2.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   38.88 KB
 Viewed   9753 Time(s)

screenshot2.jpg

Last edited by Billtoo on Wed 27 Nov 2013, 21:35; edited 1 time in total
wboz

PostPosted: Wed 27 Nov 2013, 14:24    Post subject:  

RE the comment that Lucid is one of the most popular versions - why is this?

I tried both Lucid and Precise - mostly because I failed to realize that Precise was available initially. And I've thought about trying Racy and Slacko, but every time I do, I sort of think .. well, what's REALLY the difference? Because I saw little difference between Lucid and Precise, aside from the fact that Precise lacked some configuration options and ran "hotter" temp wise. (So I too am running Lucid atm!)

I personally value ease of use & setup, pleasing UI, and a high-spec browser. On this computer I do nearly everything in the browser, so I favor slim OS with little software.

I'm sure more knowlegable people than I can just compare the version descriptions, but I'd love even just two sentences on what makes one version of Puppy preferred over another .. Very Happy
Page 1 of 13 [193 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 11, 12, 13 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: