Anyone got a copy of Super Mario War?

Play with your Puppy.
Deacon

Anyone got a copy of Super Mario War?

#1 Post by Deacon »

My son wanted to play that, but as I lost it in my previous install, it appears it's out of the repos and the original download site leads to a dead link.

Any idea if it's still available on anyone's repo?

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

Do you mean the platform game with mario characters..got to version 1.8.b2 ?

if so let me know... got it as a 12mb lzm but easily converted.
I think I lobbed the 1.7 version.

mike

Deacon

#3 Post by Deacon »

mikeb wrote:Do you mean the platform game with mario characters..got to version 1.8.b2 ?

if so let me know... got it as a 12mb lzm but easily converted.
I think I lobbed the 1.7 version.

mike
That's the one!

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

Well it turns out I did have both versions.

I built them as sfs4 on Lucid and a quick test said it needed the full SDL package abd asymlink for libpng.so.3 to whatever is in ther but you may have those already.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/110 ... 2_sfs4.sfs

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/110 ... 7_sfs4.sfs

Hope it works for you...tis a fun game .. we did four player with gamepads ....

mike

Deacon

#5 Post by Deacon »

mikeb wrote:Well it turns out I did have both versions.

I built them as sfs4 on Lucid and a quick test said it needed the full SDL package abd asymlink for libpng.so.3 to whatever is in ther but you may have those already.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/110 ... 2_sfs4.sfs

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/110 ... 7_sfs4.sfs

Hope it works for you...tis a fun game .. we did four player with gamepads ....

mike
Wow! Thanks! Testing.

EDIT- I forget how I got these to work before, but I have to do a few things. 1.7 goes further.

Got this when I ran it-- the first time it segfaulted with the above as well.

This should be interesting.[/img]

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

Well the show stopper seems to be libpng.so.3

What are you testing on?

My thoughts would be to grab libpng from an older puppy , 2 or 4 series. I will actually try it in Lucid this time..see if I get the same results. ... its only actually been run in slax 6 which is about puppy 4 era but that roughly matches what it would have been built on.

I cannot remember if it needs opengl working or not even though its a 2d game some still do. I will be able to test tomorrow

mike

mikeb

#7 Post by mikeb »

Ok loaded into Lucid.
Added the SDL libraries.
Made a link from libpng12.so.0.42.0 to libpng.so.0

Started up fine with no errors...both versions.

So it looks like they have broken forward compatibility with the png library...another linux joke funny I noticed.

Solution...uploaded the linpng from Lucid with a symlink to it....

That hopefully is it if there are no further weird changes going on and it definitely does not need opengl.

mike
Attachments
libpng-lucid.tar.gz
(68.22 KiB) Downloaded 364 times

Ted Dog

#8 Post by Ted Dog »

cool never knew about this fan made tribute to the wasted hours of my youth! any chance you could reroll the sfs for more current puppies and or 64bits. This type of game was about the level of brain power likes. Never got into the games that require more reading than an encyclopedia.

mikeb

#9 Post by mikeb »

Well the sfs should load on recent puppies and Deacon's feedback should help clear up the libpng situation. Also I do not know what version he is testing on

LibSDL seem to be no problem so I guess an sfs or 2 with SDL and a working libpng should finish the job.

64 bit puppies... not sure what's needed for those in particular if anything.

mike

Ibidem

#10 Post by Ibidem »

libpng is that way; they managed to constatly break the API without ever making it good.

Deacon

#11 Post by Deacon »

mikeb wrote:Well the sfs should load on recent puppies and Deacon's feedback should help clear up the libpng situation. Also I do not know what version he is testing on

LibSDL seem to be no problem so I guess an sfs or 2 with SDL and a working libpng should finish the job.

64 bit puppies... not sure what's needed for those in particular if anything.

mike
I'm on Slacko 5.6-- downloading the tar.gz file. Where am I symlinking to? (I just usually replace files.)

mikeb

#12 Post by mikeb »

just extract to /usr/lib ... I included a symlink :)

Let the png begin...... and bouncing..

The music with the 1.8 had me laughing for ages in a strange uncontrollable way.

mike

Deacon

#13 Post by Deacon »

mikeb wrote:just extract to /usr/lib ... I included a symlink :)

Let the png begin...... and bouncing..

The music with the 1.8 had me laughing for ages in a strange uncontrollable way.

mike
AHA, but now it gets... yet stranger!

SMW 1.7 seems to load ok, but when it switches graphics modes at startup keeps the original window open, rendering the game behind it invisible.

So I removed it and switched back to 1.8.

It seems... to have segfaulted on a pixmap!

[img=http://s23.postimg.org/xchf0qukn/smw_2013_11_29_06_58_38.jpg]

It appears to be missing large tilesets of some sort. Loading 1.7 with 1.8 did not rectify the situations. It appears I must find the pixmaps. (I'm starting to feel like we are all *in* Super Mario World looking for the pieces.)

But definitely sound and graphics are activating, so it appears to simply be a missing library.

mikeb

#14 Post by mikeb »

seems like there is some basic incompatibility with png librariies and the system.

SMW is built for the png that existed from Lucid time and before, there are no sources available to try and rebuild it. Linux is like this. Short lifespans for software. This is why I never got past Lucid as I would have to throw away everything and start again...gets tedious

Out of ideas apart from use an older distro.

mike

Ted Dog

#15 Post by Ted Dog »

Im not against using old versions just for a single program. I have different multisession DVDs just to keep my many projects organized. However which of the old versions work the best?

mikeb

#16 Post by mikeb »

Well it works in Lucid as did a quick test yesterday.... SDL added and a link for libpng.so.3 to the included version.

It works in 4.12 , 2.12 and 2.02 with same provisions as above using of course a sfs3...or extracted to suit.

I assume ok for anything inbetween.

mike

Deacon

#17 Post by Deacon »

As bizarre as it sounds, since I began looking at it like I was playing a game, I decided to see if there was something I missed.

Lo and behold, it appears that they redid their whole forum! Super Mario War is on another part of their forum and they just released some Stomp Alpha version just a year ago.

http://72dpiarmy.supersanctuary.net/ind ... ic=10241.0

http://72dpiarmy.supersanctuary.net/ind ... ic=10850.0

The project is alive! I am going to try to rebuild the previous one off the slackware version and see what I am missing. But now that the source is available, maybe I can try to rebuild the thing. Then I am going to try the Alpha.

If I get it to work, then I can ask how to make a .pet! Thanks again mikeb for the help! Maybe I can actually contribute something out of this!

mikeb

#18 Post by mikeb »

Ah well that's good news.

As mentioned this libpng mess is probably only resolved by remaking on the distro in question. Should not be too hard to do ..might need the SDL headers adding that's all.

I did build libpng14 for older puppies but I don't think that would help in this case.

Will be listening here :)

mike