Carolina - 1.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Sage

#1021 Post by Sage »

OK, Geoff, had a few moments this morning and discovered that the old favourite 10.3.183.18 still works, at least with your FF version. I think this is the preferred version recommended in Terryphi's list a year or two back?
I tried to attach a copy but it failed, perhaps on account of 5.3Mb so I will PM a copy to you. [But that didn't work either! Send me your regular email handle and I'll forward it?]

Geoffrey

#1022 Post by Geoffrey »

@sage,

It's ok I found a copy and repackaged it, get it here http://smokey01.com/carolina/pet_packag ... 183.18.pet
or look for it in the package manager, can you please test this for me, though I'm sure it should work for you.

Cheers.
Last edited by Geoffrey on Thu 21 Nov 2013, 10:03, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

Sage

#1023 Post by Sage »

Something went wrong - your file d/l name was a .gz, not a .pet. I was unable to extract it?
However, I found it in the repo and overwrote my copy - it still works. My guess is you have the correct one which is the same as my earlier one.

Colonel Panic

#1024 Post by Colonel Panic »

Geoffrey (and Marv too); thanks for the advice re Chromium and Slim Browser, I'll look into it.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Colonel Panic

#1025 Post by Colonel Panic »

A quick update; I decided to install SlimBoat instead (of Chromium) and don't regret it; it's working well (and with Flash) and is IMO easier to navigate than Chromium is.

I can recommend it to others trying to find a browser to install in Carolina. The one snag is that glibc needs to be upgraded to 2.11, for which I believe you need the two files mentioned in this thread;

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58130

which are hard to get hold of now. (I'd saved mine to my storage pendrive a year or so ago so already have them).
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Thu 21 Nov 2013, 08:27, edited 1 time in total.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Sage

#1026 Post by Sage »

Geoff & CP: You can make your URL links active by highlighting them and clicking 'URL' above the text box. You can do this retrospectively by using the 'edit' function, provided you are signed in on your current Forum session.
CP: suggest you send your files to Geoff. It should be possible to load them up to the Forum but it didn't work for me.
The Forum clock has gone crazy - I uploaded at 7:18 GMT which doesn't correspond to any international clock time.
Nice one CP!

Geoffrey

#1027 Post by Geoffrey »

Sage wrote:Geoff & CP: You can make your URL links active by highlighting them and clicking 'URL' above the text box. You can do this retrospectively by using the 'edit' function, provided you are signed in on your current Forum session.
CP: suggest you send your files to Geoff. It should be possible to load them up to the Forum but it didn't work for me.
The Forum clock has gone crazy - I uploaded at 7:18 GMT which doesn't correspond to any international clock time.
Nice one CP!
I'm aware of making the links active, I guess I'm use to highlighting the link text and opening them with the right click in firefox, I'll endeavor to change my way's.

Colonel Panic, do you have anywhere to upload the files to get SlimBoat working and could you give some detailed instructions on how it should be done, as well as any adverse effects that it may cause.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]

Volhout

web site

#1028 Post by Volhout »

Hi Geoffry,

Maybe you can take a look at Carolina's web page. The "NEWS" is that there is a 0.07RC available.....

Volhout.

Marv

#1029 Post by Marv »

Geoffrey wrote: Colonel Panic, do you have anywhere to upload the files to get SlimBoat working and could you give some detailed instructions on how it should be done, as well as any adverse effects that it may cause.
The one I used (see the SlimBoat browser thread) was:http://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/cdimage/sn ... 0_i386.deb

It may break locales. SlimBoat complains about libxml version but seems to run just fine. I'm using it in lina-lite 005 now.
Last edited by Marv on Thu 21 Nov 2013, 17:34, edited 1 time in total.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

starhawk

#1030 Post by starhawk »

Hey -- my best spare system (for testing Pups and such) right now is a slightly elderly VAIO. Two questions, but specs first.

VAIO VGN-S360
Pentium M 1.7ghz CPU
1gb RAM
dying HDD but boots from CD just fine

I've run some kind of Puppy on it before (Upup Precise IIRC) and it was fine, but I'm not sure about Carolina because that's a heavyweight... so...

(1) Does Carolina 1.1 have PAE enabled (I hope not...)?
(2) Would it be advisable to run Carolina on a machine with the specs given above? or would it be frustratingly slow?

Colonel Panic

#1031 Post by Colonel Panic »

Geoffrey wrote:
Sage wrote:Geoff & CP: You can make your URL links active by highlighting them and clicking 'URL' above the text box. You can do this retrospectively by using the 'edit' function, provided you are signed in on your current Forum session.
Nice one CP!
I'm aware of making the links active, I guess I'm use to highlighting the link text and opening them with the right click in firefox, I'll endeavor to change my way's.

Colonel Panic, do you have anywhere to upload the files to get SlimBoat working and could you give some detailed instructions on how it should be done, as well as any adverse effects that it may cause.
Sage; thanks for the tip concerning how to make my URL link active, which I've now done.

Geoffrey, on the first part (do I have anywhere to upload the files to get SlimBoat working?); no, but I'm going to try to upload it as an attachment to a post.

As for the second (could I give some detailed instructions on how it should be done, as well as any adverse effects that it may cause?); I don't think detailed instructions are necessary, or to be honest, that I'd be competent to issue them if they were. I installed SlimBoat first from its pet file and then the two other files in order of size; the dpkg file and the libc one second.

I'm not aware of any problems which have occurred, or might occur, as a result of installing these files; but I have only my own machine to go on.

Here's the first one anyway;
Attachments
dpkg-deb-1.14.20.pet
(106.18 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Thu 21 Nov 2013, 16:21, edited 1 time in total.

peebee

#1032 Post by peebee »

Reminder to me - don't post until you've tested.....

Ignore what I said.....

Playdayz's Slimboat for Lupu doesn't work - glibc v2.11 needed error messages in Lina1.0...

Post deleted!!!
Last edited by peebee on Thu 21 Nov 2013, 16:32, edited 2 times in total.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Colonel Panic

#1033 Post by Colonel Panic »

Thanks, might be worth a try. I've had no luck so far in uploading the libc file; I keep getting a "Tried to upload empty file" message when I try it.

Geoffrey

#1034 Post by Geoffrey »

starhawk wrote:Hey -- my best spare system (for testing Pups and such) right now is a slightly elderly VAIO. Two questions, but specs first.

VAIO VGN-S360
Pentium M 1.7ghz CPU
1gb RAM

I've run some kind of Puppy on it before (Upup Precise IIRC) and it was fine, but I'm not sure about Carolina because that's a heavyweight... so...

(2) Would it be advisable to run Carolina on a machine with the specs given above? or would it be frustratingly slow?
I'll upload lina-1.1.iso___lina-1.1-non-pae.iso.delta, md5 a4010986da66baa4e74c9a05b8da5bf8
if you have downloaded Carolina 1.1 that will give you what you want, the resulting ISO will be lina-1.1-non-pae.iso md5 3b9a73016b20426eda4fbdb60d5d5bcc

As far as running it on the Pentium M 1.7ghz CPU, 1gb RAM, I don't know, but it would be better to run it as a frugal on the HDD, don't worry if it's dying, mine's been in that state for the last 5 years and still going strong, which is in a acer aspire 5310 Intel Celeron M 1.73 GHz, with 1.5gigs of ram, runs fine, it even plays Enemy Territory ootb.
http://smokey01.com/carolina/isos/non-p ... .iso.delta

Geoffrey

Re: web site

#1035 Post by Geoffrey »

Volhout wrote:Hi Geoffry,

Maybe you can take a look at Carolina's web page. The "NEWS" is that there is a 0.07RC available.....

Volhout.
Yeah I know, I made a start on that the other day, but got distracted, not enough hours in a day, should have that done a little later.

Marv

#1036 Post by Marv »

starhawk wrote:Hey -- my best spare system (for testing Pups and such) right now is a slightly elderly VAIO. Two questions, but specs first.

VAIO VGN-S360
Pentium M 1.7ghz CPU
1gb RAM

Bear with the windy old Pentium M bearing fart here...

I have the following systems side by side on a 1.6 GHz Pentium M laptop with 1Gb memory, Intel Pro 2200 wireless, integrated Intel video. Installed frugally to an 8Gb CF card in an IDE adaptor replacing the noisy merry-go-round. All non-PAE, ondemand governor, Opera and SlimBoat browsers installed to boot partition.

Xprecise 2.2, LxPup 13.10c, Carolina 1.0, Lina-lite 005, and alphaOS 12.1, oh, and Boxpup 4.12. It's an interesting horse race. I'll drop boxpup immediately though it's served for years as it can't run even Opera 12.16, drop alphaOS for difficulty of configuration and cumbersome repo though it is the most CPU efficient at idle at 1.5%. and I like the look,feel and snap once it is set up. I'll drop my lina-lite as it's really pretty much Carolina without the Adrive.

Leaving Xprecise, LxPup, and Carolina. LxPup has the smallest memory footprint at 48Mb vs 64Mb for Xprecise and Carolina. Carolina has the lowest CPU use at idle, 3% vs 8% for LxPup and Xprecise. Carolina does the best job at handling the 2200 Pro wireless. Both Xprecise and LxPup need considerable fiddling with the drop time in Frisbee to hang onto a connection. Carolina just works. In terms of 'snappiness, surprisingly little difference across the board. All three are easy to set up and have great repos. My preference in menu layout leans strongly toward Xprecise and Carolina

SO??? Carolina by a neck on this hardware (though it needed a glibc update to run SlimBoat). Xprecise by a neck on a core 2 duo or newer lappie. Both absolutely stellar beasts, (as is LxPup). On slightly different hardware the balance might tip but all three certainly deserve consideration and respect.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

starhawk

#1037 Post by starhawk »

Nice :D I'll try it out on the half-in-the-ground VAIO tomorrow when I get a bit of time... busy day planned tho.

giannis4

#1038 Post by giannis4 »

Hello,I am trying to figure out how can I make the language indicator appear on my panel.I go to Panel Preferences-Items,but I cant find a keyboard layout switcher there.Can somebody help please?

Geoffrey

#1039 Post by Geoffrey »

giannis4 wrote:Hello,I am trying to figure out how can I make the language indicator appear on my panel.I go to Panel Preferences-Items,but I cant find a keyboard layout switcher there.Can somebody help please?
I had trouble with this panel plugin previously, I have recompiled it and now it is working for me, you will find it in the package manager, search for xfce4-xkb-plugin, let me know if there is a problem with it, thought it appears to be working as it should for me, the flags show far right in the panel and using the mouse scroll wheel changes layouts.

giannis4

#1040 Post by giannis4 »

Geoffrey wrote:
giannis4 wrote:Hello,I am trying to figure out how can I make the language indicator appear on my panel.I go to Panel Preferences-Items,but I cant find a keyboard layout switcher there.Can somebody help please?
I had trouble with this panel plugin previously, I have recompiled it and now it is working for me, you will find it in the package manager, search for xfce4-xkb-plugin, let me know if there is a problem with it, thought it appears to be working as it should for me, the flags show far right in the panel and using the mouse scroll wheel changes layouts.
A million thanks to you my good friend.Everything is fine now.I really appreciate your help.Take care!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Giannis!