rerwin wrote:Where do I get the openbox pet package
Richard
Hi Richard

See the 2nd post at:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=80569

Works fine for me.
Regards
Peter

p.s. Openbox is now at v3.5.2 but they've significantly changed the window placement logic....
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Ray MK

#2662 Post by Ray MK »

Regarding SNS and/or Frisbee -
keep SNS because for a newbie it is so easy to use - and seems to work well most of the time.

Maybe a Frisbee SFS could be made available for those times when SNS needs a little help.

Frisbee is generally easy to use and would be nice to have as an option, it is very good when one is out and about roaming.

BTW Richard - what you are doing with Lupu is fantastic - much appreciated.

Many thanks and very best regards to all involved.
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

peebee

#2663 Post by peebee »

Ray MK wrote:Frisbee is generally easy to use and would be nice to have as an option
Hi Ray

Just answering for Richard - Frisbee is already there as an option.....

Cheers
Peter
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

OscarTalks

#2664 Post by OscarTalks »

Still testing lupu 5.2.8.6 20131114

JWM snapshot 876 and jwmconfig2-130504-5 all looking OK

Installed latest Firefox ESR (Extended Support Release) 24.1.1esr

Also my SlimBoat browser 1.1.43.pet runs nicely.

Menus tweaked as mentioned before and looking neat.
Attachments
lupufoxjwm.jpg
Lupu 5.2.8.6 - Firefox ESR - New JWM
(58.26 KiB) Downloaded 591 times
lupuslimboat.jpg
Lupu 5.2.8.6 - SlimBoat Browser - Tidy Menus
(65.52 KiB) Downloaded 606 times
Oscar in England

playdayz

#2665 Post by playdayz »

Also my SlimBoat browser 1.1.43.pet runs nicely.
Oscar. This looks interesting. It is not going to be smaller than Firefox though. I like that the web site has special instructions for Puppy. I also like that the latest version runs in Lucid--we are down to Firefox and Seamonkey otherwise. Did you install the gstreamer libs? Is it worth packaging? Thanks. Wait, I see you have packaged it. If a few people could test I could add it to the Lucid repo.
http://www.slimboat.com/en/dlpage.php

Oscar's Slimboat pet -> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 554#737334

Add: Looks great. Starts up faster than Firefox.

playdayz

#2666 Post by playdayz »

rerwin, There is a problem with "select default browser, just to the right of the Menu button. If one uses it, it doesn't write the /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser correctly for the Help to work (i.e, Abiword -> Help -> Help Contents, etc.). The exec line in defaultbrowser varies of course, but for Help to work it needs the argument at the end. Select default browser is not writing that. That is probably the problem that Bigpup reported a week or so ago. I think it happened because we fixed the Help in 005 but select default browser predated that. I would say easiest to just delete it, or someone will have to fix the script. Browsers in the repo write correct defaultbrowser.

Code: Select all

exec slimboat "$@"

rerwin

#2667 Post by rerwin »

playdayz wrote:rerwin, There is a problem with "select default browser, just to the right of the Menu button. If one uses it, it doesn't write the /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser correctly for the Help to work (i.e, Abiword -> Help -> Help Contents, etc.). The exec line in defaultbrowser varies of course, but for Help to work it needs the argument at the end. Select default browser is not writing that. That is probably the problem that Bigpup reported a week or so ago. I think it happened because we fixed the Help in 005 but select default browser predated that. I would say easiest to just delete it, or someone will have to fix the script. Browsers in the repo write correct defaultbrowser.
I tested the "browser-default" script and it produced the correct text in defaultbrowser. All 3 of the Help items displayed as expected. The code appears to include the "$@" part.

Could you show us the examples of the failure? The script uses /usr/share/application/*.desktop files to find the browsers. Could you list the content of the .desktop file for a browser that does not get set up right?

I would like to hand this off to radky, if he will take it, since it is the object of a launch button in pfbpanel. But we need some data to test with.
Richard

playdayz

#2668 Post by playdayz »

rerwin, i am doing some more testing. When I install Firefox, defaultbrowser is OK, but if I then use the select browser installer and choose Firefox, it writes an incorrect entry without the argument. However, it appears that with Firefox, the Help works even without the proper argument in defaultbrowser (because I guess of the way the Help hack is structured, maybe, or with the way Firefox is invoked). So, not worth any trouble. I will keep looking--radky can pm me with any ideas. Whatever it is, it's left over from 005 and no one has ever complained that I know of.

radky

#2669 Post by radky »

Hi playdayz,

Its great to see you on the forum again. Welcome home! :)

After installing Firefox-24 via Quickpet I can't replicate the problem you describe for the browser-default script. Changing the default browser reliably appends the "$@" argument to the new selection in /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser, and Abiword help is OK.

However, if the browser-default script is inconsistent in some scenarios, a possible replacement would be the well-tested 'defaults-chooser' utility (below) which correctly appends the "$@" argument to the new browser selection. Plus, it has the advantage of an intuitive interface for quickly changing many additional default applications in usr/loca/bin/.

defaults-chooser: http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=03059
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

playdayz

#2670 Post by playdayz »

Hey radky, I am glad to see you involved in the update of Lucid. I think this all means nothing. This is from 005--has anything about this been changed?
In the case of Firefox only, the pet writes the following to defaultbrowser

exec /usr/lib/firefox/run-mozilla.sh /usr/lib/firefox/firefox "$@"
select default browser writes the following

exec firefox
But /usr/bin firefox is

/usr/lib/firefox/run-mozilla.sh /usr/lib/firefox/firefox
It seems to work OK. I guess run-mozilla.sh handles it all. I regret that I did not test more before I mentioned it :oops: I remember it now, around v12 of Firefox it became necessary to start FF this way and I see that I implemented that inconsistently. I would change the pet, but it seems to me there is no real problem so better left alone--please let me know if you think otherwise. The choice to make any change in fbpanel would be yours and rerwins.

rerwin

#2671 Post by rerwin »

radky wrote:However, if the browser-default script is inconsistent in some scenarios, a possible replacement would be the well-tested 'defaults-chooser' utility (below) which correctly appends the "$@" argument to the new browser selection. Plus, it has the advantage of an intuitive interface for quickly changing many additional default applications in usr/local/bin/.
Thanks for that recommendation. Does any one object to my adding 'defaults-chooser' to lupu and removing 'browser-default' altogether? Is there any reason 'defaults-chooser' (from Precise Pup) would not work in lupu? That is my intent if there is no problem with it.

BTW, I plan omit it from the launch bar because it does not seem like something that would be used much, after the initial settings. I assume the launch bar is for applications one uses every day (or so).
Richard

bigpup

#2672 Post by bigpup »

Adding 'defaults-chooser' would be a very useful addition. 8) :D

The latest version is here:
Defaults Chooser 0.8.8
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 078#735078

I am testing now. :twisted: :wink: :D

Edit:
So far seems to be working for me. V 0.8.8
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#2673 Post by bigpup »

What is this program suppose to do :?: :?

Menu->Graphic->Pictureviewer drag and drop images

I can run it, but nothing seems to happen.
It opens, you drag an image to it, and nothing happens.

Sure does not work as a default image viewer.

Edit:
For .png image files only.
Still do not know what it really is used for.

For me, it is nothing I need.
YaPI(any iso installer)

rerwin

Lucid Pup 5.2.8.6-20131120

#2674 Post by rerwin »

I am uploading the 20131120 version of the lupu 5.2.8.6 ISO files. They contain all of the fixes discussed since the 20131114 versions.

This time, I have also updated the update history for both 20131114 and 20131120.

The history and link to the download site are here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 108#726108

The direct link to the downloads is:
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/dc28t2r ... es-5.2.8.6

I hope this wraps it up, but am open to further essential fixes. Thank you to all who contributed, directing me to the updated packages.

UPDATE:
Oops! I missed the final pfbpanel update.

Re-uploads complete.
Richard
Last edited by rerwin on Thu 21 Nov 2013, 04:30, edited 4 times in total.

playdayz

#2675 Post by playdayz »

Here is Slimboat 1.1.43, prepared by OscarTalks with the addition of the file that sets it as defaultbrowser in Lucid. It starts up more quickly than Firefox and is the only alternative to FF/Seamonkey for those who want to use a latest version browser in Lucid (Opera 12.16 does run but has a serious problem in throwing beaucoup error messages) . Adblocker included. Nice package imho.

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Slimb ... -Lucid.pet

There is one little glitch unfortunately, not serious, maybe they will fix it next version if it is not peculiar to Lucid. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 491#738176

OscarTalks also has two versions of Skype 4.2.0.11 for Lucid If a few could test I could put it in the repo.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 40&t=86808

radky

#2676 Post by radky »

Lupu-20131120

Thank you rerwin!
Attachments
image-1.jpg
(49.9 KiB) Downloaded 983 times

bigpup

#2677 Post by bigpup »

rerwin,

Thank you very much for doing this update to Lupu (Lucid Puppy) :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Are you going to update Lupu3HD to the 20131120 changes?

I have to use Lupu3HD to have a driver for my USB wireless network adapter.
The Linux kernel that is in normal Lupu 5.2.8.6 will not support it.

think this may be the reason, as stated here by tempestuous.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 417#513417
Seems the slight difference, in the Linux kernel, in Lupu3hd, is a factor in support for this needed driver.
YaPI(any iso installer)

rerwin

#2678 Post by rerwin »

bigpup,
Re 3HD and sulu: Yes, I intend to upgrade them, too, probably next week, as I am distracted for the next 2 days. Also, I would like to wait a bit for any "fallout" from the latest version, in case there is more to fix.

Regarding those later kernels, I am frustrated that lupu cannot access recent versions of SFS files, as in Precise pup and slacko. I understand that the issue is a capability that appeared in the later kernels but is not backport-able to lupu. But is it available in the kernels used by 3HD and sulu? If so, can anyone versify whether those pups can access precise's main SFS file? Or is there more we need in those lupus to make it work?
Richard

peebee

#2679 Post by peebee »

playdayz wrote:Here is Slimboat 1.1.43
Hi Larry

Slimboat looks interesting at 22MB - and your pet works fine in other Puppies as well as Lupu - e.g. Slacko5.6 - so you are maybe limiting it's take-up by including lupu in its name? I was able to do that well known test of playing video from BBC i-Player with no problems.

Chromium 27 works OK on lupu-5286 - not the latest version but entirely usable apart from a typically nagging message on startup about out of date system.

Download an sfs (48MB) from:
http://e-nautia.com/peebee/disk/share/c ... 1421.0.sfs - the sfs can be directly converted to a pet if so desired.

Cheers
Peter

playdayz

#2680 Post by playdayz »

Slimboat looks interesting at 22MB - and your pet works fine in other Puppies as well as Lupu
It's OscarTalks pet basically, all I did was add /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser. Here is his thread. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 420#737334 His skype also has a version for Slacko. OscarTalks also has a version of Firefox 24 Extended Support Release (or whatever ESR stands for).

I have found that Google removes all previous versions of Chrome from any of its sites and even prevails upon the old apps type sites to to not offer them. Previous versions of Chromium and Iron are available though, but their insistence on the latest version makes me think that the only latest versions should go into the official Lucid repo, hence my interest in Slimboat. Of course, posting in this thread allows people to use Chromium 27 etc if they want to. But oh yes, I think the Chromium-based browsers refuse to install add-ons such as Adblock unless you are using the latest version.