Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 31 Oct 2014, 00:13
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
LxPup : a Puppy with LXDE as its desktop environment
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 6 of 27 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, ..., 25, 26, 27 Next
Author Message
Marv


Joined: 04 May 2005
Posts: 350
Location: SW Wisconsin

PostPosted: Fri 08 Nov 2013, 22:50    Post_subject:  

Thanks peebee,
Returned from the wilderness Razz The great improvements in the right clicks and rightclick structure in the 0.3 pet tips the balance firmly back to PCmanFM from SpaceFM. Easy to maintain and add to. Pulled SpaceFM and now basically running a rethemed and paneled svc pack C LxPup with external opera browser. Did add a Save.desktop so I can save2flash and copy the savefile to a backup location before Question I shoot myself in the foot.

Cheers, ...and wishing I could get mime wildcards to work...

_________________
tweaked 412 based boxpup, well honed 'lina-lite-005, alphaOS 321 Wink , X-slacko 2.2n, Lxpup-Tahr, and not to forget trusty Carolina/Carolite (now with 3.17 kernel). All lean and steady pups.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
peebee


Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Posts: 1473
Location: Malvern, Worcs, UK

PostPosted: Sat 09 Nov 2013, 03:10    Post_subject:  

Marv wrote:
...and wishing I could get mime wildcards to work...

I've also searched and have been unable to find anything that works.

A reminder - what we want is to be able to define in mimeapps.list that a particular function can be applied to a range of mime types - something like
Code:
image/*=mtpaint.desktop;
i.e. mtpaint can open all types of image files.

If anybody out there knows how to do this please let us know - ta.

Cheers
peebee

_________________
LxPup-14.10 = Puppy + LXDE
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
peebee


Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Posts: 1473
Location: Malvern, Worcs, UK

PostPosted: Wed 13 Nov 2013, 13:09    Post_subject: Advice please - openbox3.5.2  

I have made a trial build of LxPup13.11 with the latest version of Openbox 3.5.2 - only to find that the window placement logic has changed since 3.5.0....
Quote:
New LeastOverlap window placement policy replaces the old default behaviour. It finds a place on a given monitor that overlaps as few windows as possible.
New windows are now placed at a position which covers the maximum amount of empty screen and the minimum overlap with existing windows. But the default position is top left of the screen so that small windows opened on an empty desktop appear top left rather then in the centre of the desktop as per 3.5.0

I'm not sure I like this new behaviour....so need advice as to whether LxPup13.11 should embrace the new version or stick with the 3.5.0 version as in LxPup13.10?

Anybody got any thoughts/advice??

Cheers
peebee

_________________
LxPup-14.10 = Puppy + LXDE
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
Marv


Joined: 04 May 2005
Posts: 350
Location: SW Wisconsin

PostPosted: Wed 13 Nov 2013, 15:28    Post_subject: Re: Advice please - openbox3.5.2  

peebee wrote:
I have made a trial build of LxPup13.11 with the latest version of Openbox 3.5.2 - only to find that the window placement logic has changed since 3.5.0....
Quote:
New LeastOverlap window placement policy replaces the old default behaviour. It finds a place on a given monitor that overlaps as few windows as possible.
New windows are now placed at a position which covers the maximum amount of empty screen and the minimum overlap with existing windows. But the default position is top left of the screen so that small windows opened on an empty desktop appear top left rather then in the centre of the desktop as per 3.5.0

I'm not sure I like this new behaviour....so need advice as to whether LxPup13.11 should embrace the new version or stick with the 3.5.0 version as in LxPup13.10?

Anybody got any thoughts/advice??

Cheers
peebee


I've been running 3.5.2 and have no major gripes. In /root/.config/openbox/rc.xml, you should be able to set the placement policy:
Center>yes< and policy>Smart or Undermouse< in lines 26 and 28. Have a go at it and see.

Cheers,

_________________
tweaked 412 based boxpup, well honed 'lina-lite-005, alphaOS 321 Wink , X-slacko 2.2n, Lxpup-Tahr, and not to forget trusty Carolina/Carolite (now with 3.17 kernel). All lean and steady pups.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
peebee


Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Posts: 1473
Location: Malvern, Worcs, UK

PostPosted: Wed 13 Nov 2013, 16:28    Post_subject: Re: Advice please - openbox3.5.2  

Marv wrote:
I've been running 3.5.2 and have no major gripes. In /root/.config/openbox/rc.xml, you should be able to set the placement policy:
Center>yes< and policy>Smart or Undermouse< in lines 26 and 28. Have a go at it and see.

Cheers,


Hi Marv

The <center>yes</center> seems to have no effect in my build.

Changing the <policy>...</policy> line does work as expected.

Obconf2.0.4 has a gui to change the <policy> but no mention of <center>

Also in /etc/xdg/openbox/rc.xml there is no <center> line

Wonder why yours is working and not mine???

This thread seems to suggest it is a known problem with 3.5.1 & 2

Thanks for your help...
Cheers
peebee

_________________
LxPup-14.10 = Puppy + LXDE
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
Marv


Joined: 04 May 2005
Posts: 350
Location: SW Wisconsin

PostPosted: Wed 13 Nov 2013, 18:23    Post_subject: Re: Advice please - openbox3.5.2  

peebee wrote:


Wonder why yours is working and not mine???

This thread seems to suggest it is a known problem with 3.5.1 & 2

Thanks for your help...
Cheers
peebee


Doublechecked the version I'm running and the rc.xml. Version is indeed 3.5.2 and there isn't a patch like those in the thread in the rc.xml. I didn't compile it and it is in alphaOS 12.x so may well be from the Arch AUR, referenced in the thread. All in all, might be best to wait a bit as the bugfix should be coming and the "Smart " placement is Twisted Evil damn irritating.

On a lighter note Very Happy SlimBoat now can run with flashplayer in LxPup. See http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=81249&start=75 Still has a few font issues but I'm happily using it as an adjunct to my beloved but 'long in the tooth' Opera 12.16 when sites break Opera.

_________________
tweaked 412 based boxpup, well honed 'lina-lite-005, alphaOS 321 Wink , X-slacko 2.2n, Lxpup-Tahr, and not to forget trusty Carolina/Carolite (now with 3.17 kernel). All lean and steady pups.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
peebee


Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Posts: 1473
Location: Malvern, Worcs, UK

PostPosted: Sun 17 Nov 2013, 05:51    Post_subject: LxPup13.11
Sub_title: now in both Slacko and Precise flavours
 

LxPup13.11 is now available from the download page in 3 "flavours":
    LxPup-13.11-s-4g
    LxPup-13.11-s-pae
    LxPrecise-13.11-pae **NEW**
The main changes from LxPup13.10C are:
    - Openbox is now version 3.5.2 (but see below)
    - WBar is available in Options
There is a delta file available to update lxpup-13.10-1 (base version with no service packs) to LxPup-13.11-s-4g

For anybody who really hates the new window placement logic in Openbox3.5.2, a pet is available to revert to Openbox3.5.0

Finally, there is a version of Chromium-31 which will run on all flavours.

Cheers
PeeBee
screenshot.png
 Description   LxPrecise13.11 with optional top panel & desktop drive icons
 Filesize   216.96 KB
 Viewed   803 Time(s)

screenshot.png


_________________
LxPup-14.10 = Puppy + LXDE

Edited_times_total
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
Volhout


Joined: 28 Dec 2008
Posts: 404

PostPosted: Mon 18 Nov 2013, 07:46    Post_subject: 13.11
Sub_title: downloading now
 

Hi PeeBee,

Will try 13.11 and the new window behaviour tonight.
Is there any change in the devx ? Standard Slacko 5.6 devx ?
I need Python, and guess it's in the devx (2.x series ?)

Volhout
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
peebee


Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Posts: 1473
Location: Malvern, Worcs, UK

PostPosted: Mon 18 Nov 2013, 10:23    Post_subject: Re: 13.11
Sub_title: downloading now
 

Volhout wrote:
Hi PeeBee,

Will try 13.11 and the new window behaviour tonight.
Is there any change in the devx ? Standard Slacko 5.6 devx ?
I need Python, and guess it's in the devx (2.x series ?)

Volhout


Hi Volhout

Yes - standard Slacko 5.6 devx appropriate to the "Flavour" / kernel you are using

Setup -> SFS Manager....

or http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr/puppylinux/puppy-5.6/README_DEVX.TXT

http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr/puppylinux/puppy-5.6/

Cheers
peebee

_________________
LxPup-14.10 = Puppy + LXDE
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
Volhout


Joined: 28 Dec 2008
Posts: 404

PostPosted: Tue 19 Nov 2013, 14:13    Post_subject: log off  

Dear PeeBee,

Yesterday I introduced LxPup to my wife, and she made a remark that made me think....

We run puppy as root. Why do we shut down the computer with "log out", and have 6 different choices in shutdown. Restart (with puppy) is just as fast as off and on. Different user is not needed. Restart X is something you only do to change windows manager or similar. In practice (as a user) you only turn off.

Maybe it is a no-brainer....
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
peebee


Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Posts: 1473
Location: Malvern, Worcs, UK

PostPosted: Tue 19 Nov 2013, 15:15    Post_subject: Re: log off  

Volhout wrote:
Dear PeeBee,

Yesterday I introduced LxPup to my wife, and she made a remark that made me think....

We run puppy as root. Why do we shut down the computer with "log out", and have 6 different choices in shutdown. Restart (with puppy) is just as fast as off and on. Different user is not needed. Restart X is something you only do to change windows manager or similar. In practice (as a user) you only turn off.

Maybe it is a no-brainer....


Hi Volhout....

Powerdown switches off the computer
Suspend puts the computer to sleep so it can be quickly restarted
Reboot allows you to switch between different operating systems if you have more than one installed
RestartWM sets everything back to a known state and is useful if and when something goes wrong
Logout drops you out to the console

So they all have individual and unique behaviours but maybe there are too many for most users.

I'll have a think (in slow time) as to whether there is a better way to organise things. The current way has the advantage that everything is in one place.

All current Pups use basically the same scheme.

Cheers
peebee

_________________
LxPup-14.10 = Puppy + LXDE
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
Marv


Joined: 04 May 2005
Posts: 350
Location: SW Wisconsin

PostPosted: Tue 19 Nov 2013, 16:28    Post_subject: Re: log off  

peebee wrote:
Volhout wrote:
Dear PeeBee,

Yesterday I introduced LxPup to my wife, and she made a remark that made me think....

We run puppy as root. Why do we shut down the computer with "log out", and have 6 different choices in shutdown. Restart (with puppy) is just as fast as off and on. Different user is not needed. Restart X is something you only do to change windows manager or similar. In practice (as a user) you only turn off.

Maybe it is a no-brainer....


Hi Volhout....

Powerdown switches off the computer
Suspend puts the computer to sleep so it can be quickly restarted
Reboot allows you to switch between different operating systems if you have more than one installed
RestartWM sets everything back to a known state and is useful if and when something goes wrong
Logout drops you out to the console

So they all have individual and unique behaviours but maybe there are too many for most users.

I'll have a think (in slow time) as to whether there is a better way to organise things. The current way has the advantage that everything is in one place.

All current Pups use basically the same scheme.

Cheers
peebee


Carolina uses a shutdown pulldown list which remembers the last shutdown action. Maybe for people who always perform the same action every time that works but it's a some extra clicks for me and I usually replace it with a more pup std. one from Saluki. What about just making a Powerdown.desktop for Powerdown so it may be put in the system panel by itself easily. That's what I usually do for my 'users'.

_________________
tweaked 412 based boxpup, well honed 'lina-lite-005, alphaOS 321 Wink , X-slacko 2.2n, Lxpup-Tahr, and not to forget trusty Carolina/Carolite (now with 3.17 kernel). All lean and steady pups.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
vicmz


Joined: 15 Jan 2012
Posts: 1125

PostPosted: Tue 19 Nov 2013, 17:54    Post_subject: Re: LxPup13.11 : a Puppy with LXDE as its desktop environment
Sub_title: Derivatives of Slacko5.6 and Precise5.7.1 descended from LxPup13.01
 

peebee wrote:
LxPrecise-13.11-pae is a derivative of Puppy Precise 5.7.1 using the PAE kernel 3.9.11


Sweet! Thank you. Very Happy
No, I won't stop remixing Openbox. Laughing OpenboxPlus is still the choice for those who go lightweight, and it's a different customization that I like very much. However, I should link to this thread for those who want a full LXDE Puppy. Wink

_________________
OB Precise 14.07.26 Woof-CE|Puppy Linux en español
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
peebee


Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Posts: 1473
Location: Malvern, Worcs, UK

PostPosted: Tue 19 Nov 2013, 18:02    Post_subject: Re: LxPup13.11 : a Puppy with LXDE as its desktop environment
Sub_title: Derivatives of Slacko5.6 and Precise5.7.1 descended from LxPup13.01
 

vicmz wrote:
peebee wrote:
LxPrecise-13.11-pae is a derivative of Puppy Precise 5.7.1 using the PAE kernel 3.9.11


Sweet! Thank you. Very Happy
No, I won't stop remixing Openbox. Laughing OpenboxPlus is still the choice for those who go lightweight, and it's a different customization that I like very much. However, I should link to this thread for those who want a full LXDE Puppy. Wink


Hi Vicmz

Definitely do NOT stop - that's the strength of Puppy - lots of choice...

And OpenBoxPlus and LxPup are different but complementary - not everyone wants to go the full LXDE route of LxPup i.e PcManFM largely replacing Rox.

I have added a link back to OpenBoxPlus on my post #1.

Have you tried OpenBox3.5.2? What are your thoughts on the window placement logic? I'm gradually getting used to it....

Cheers
peebee

_________________
LxPup-14.10 = Puppy + LXDE
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
Senza Vega

Joined: 13 Aug 2013
Posts: 46

PostPosted: Fri 22 Nov 2013, 05:26    Post_subject:  wbar
Sub_title: where is it ?
 

Hello, great Puppy !
"ça change" comme on dit en France !
Can you tell me where I could get the wbar ?
Best Regards


Edit : That's right, got it in /opt/lxpup-xtras

Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 6 of 27 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, ..., 25, 26, 27 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1060s ][ Queries: 13 (0.0080s) ][ GZIP on ]