Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 20 Apr 2014, 10:15
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Carolina - 1.2
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 69 of 88 [1308 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, ..., 86, 87, 88 Next
Author Message
Sage

Joined: 04 Oct 2005
Posts: 4767
Location: GB

PostPosted: Tue 19 Nov 2013, 06:30    Post subject:  

OK, Geoff, had a few moments this morning and discovered that the old favourite 10.3.183.18 still works, at least with your FF version. I think this is the preferred version recommended in Terryphi's list a year or two back?
I tried to attach a copy but it failed, perhaps on account of 5.3Mb so I will PM a copy to you. [But that didn't work either! Send me your regular email handle and I'll forward it?]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Geoffrey


Joined: 30 May 2010
Posts: 1217
Location: Queensland Australia ɹǝpu∩uʍop

PostPosted: Tue 19 Nov 2013, 07:20    Post subject:  

@sage,

It's ok I found a copy and repackaged it, get it here http://smokey01.com/carolina/pet_packages-carolina/flash_player_BBC-10.3.183.18.pet
or look for it in the package manager, can you please test this for me, though I'm sure it should work for you.

Cheers.

_________________
Carolina: Recent Repository Additions
Create strikethrough text HERE

Last edited by Geoffrey on Thu 21 Nov 2013, 06:03; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Sage

Joined: 04 Oct 2005
Posts: 4767
Location: GB

PostPosted: Tue 19 Nov 2013, 07:42    Post subject:  

Something went wrong - your file d/l name was a .gz, not a .pet. I was unable to extract it?
However, I found it in the repo and overwrote my copy - it still works. My guess is you have the correct one which is the same as my earlier one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Colonel Panic


Joined: 16 Sep 2006
Posts: 1443

PostPosted: Tue 19 Nov 2013, 08:30    Post subject:  

Geoffrey (and Marv too); thanks for the advice re Chromium and Slim Browser, I'll look into it.
_________________
Compaq Deskpro Pentium III (866 MHz), 512 MB of RAM, 30 GB hard drive running Puppy Fire Hydrant Inferno, Puppy Precise 5.71 Retro, Puppy 5.5 Wary, Puppy Deeper Thought 4.20 and Puppy Legacy OS2.1 LTS.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Colonel Panic


Joined: 16 Sep 2006
Posts: 1443

PostPosted: Wed 20 Nov 2013, 17:56    Post subject:  

A quick update; I decided to install SlimBoat instead (of Chromium) and don't regret it; it's working well (and with Flash) and is IMO easier to navigate than Chromium is.

I can recommend it to others trying to find a browser to install in Carolina. The one snag is that glibc needs to be upgraded to 2.11, for which I believe you need the two files mentioned in this thread;

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58130

which are hard to get hold of now. (I'd saved mine to my storage pendrive a year or so ago so already have them).

_________________
Compaq Deskpro Pentium III (866 MHz), 512 MB of RAM, 30 GB hard drive running Puppy Fire Hydrant Inferno, Puppy Precise 5.71 Retro, Puppy 5.5 Wary, Puppy Deeper Thought 4.20 and Puppy Legacy OS2.1 LTS.

Last edited by Colonel Panic on Thu 21 Nov 2013, 04:27; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Sage

Joined: 04 Oct 2005
Posts: 4767
Location: GB

PostPosted: Thu 21 Nov 2013, 03:05    Post subject:  

Geoff & CP: You can make your URL links active by highlighting them and clicking 'URL' above the text box. You can do this retrospectively by using the 'edit' function, provided you are signed in on your current Forum session.
CP: suggest you send your files to Geoff. It should be possible to load them up to the Forum but it didn't work for me.
The Forum clock has gone crazy - I uploaded at 7:18 GMT which doesn't correspond to any international clock time.
Nice one CP!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Geoffrey


Joined: 30 May 2010
Posts: 1217
Location: Queensland Australia ɹǝpu∩uʍop

PostPosted: Thu 21 Nov 2013, 06:02    Post subject:  

Sage wrote:
Geoff & CP: You can make your URL links active by highlighting them and clicking 'URL' above the text box. You can do this retrospectively by using the 'edit' function, provided you are signed in on your current Forum session.
CP: suggest you send your files to Geoff. It should be possible to load them up to the Forum but it didn't work for me.
The Forum clock has gone crazy - I uploaded at 7:18 GMT which doesn't correspond to any international clock time.
Nice one CP!


I'm aware of making the links active, I guess I'm use to highlighting the link text and opening them with the right click in firefox, I'll endeavor to change my way's.

Colonel Panic, do you have anywhere to upload the files to get SlimBoat working and could you give some detailed instructions on how it should be done, as well as any adverse effects that it may cause.

_________________
Carolina: Recent Repository Additions
Create strikethrough text HERE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Volhout


Joined: 28 Dec 2008
Posts: 365

PostPosted: Thu 21 Nov 2013, 07:53    Post subject: web site  

Hi Geoffry,

Maybe you can take a look at Carolina's web page. The "NEWS" is that there is a 0.07RC available.....

Volhout.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Marv


Joined: 04 May 2005
Posts: 291
Location: SW Wisconsin

PostPosted: Thu 21 Nov 2013, 08:41    Post subject:  

Geoffrey wrote:

Colonel Panic, do you have anywhere to upload the files to get SlimBoat working and could you give some detailed instructions on how it should be done, as well as any adverse effects that it may cause.


The one I used (see the SlimBoat browser thread) was:http://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/cdimage/snapshot/Debian/pool/main/e/eglibc/libc6_2.11.2-10_i386.deb

It may break locales. SlimBoat complains about libxml version but seems to run just fine. I'm using it in lina-lite 005 now.

_________________
tweaked 412 based boxpup, well honed 'lina-lite-005, alphaOS 321 Wink , X-precise-2.3, Lxpup 14.03, and not to forget trusty Carolina/Carolite. All lean and steady pups.

Last edited by Marv on Thu 21 Nov 2013, 13:34; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
starhawk

Joined: 22 Nov 2010
Posts: 2536
Location: Everybody knows this is nowhere...

PostPosted: Thu 21 Nov 2013, 11:16    Post subject:  

Hey -- my best spare system (for testing Pups and such) right now is a slightly elderly VAIO. Two questions, but specs first.

VAIO VGN-S360
Pentium M 1.7ghz CPU
1gb RAM
dying HDD but boots from CD just fine

I've run some kind of Puppy on it before (Upup Precise IIRC) and it was fine, but I'm not sure about Carolina because that's a heavyweight... so...

(1) Does Carolina 1.1 have PAE enabled (I hope not...)?
(2) Would it be advisable to run Carolina on a machine with the specs given above? or would it be frustratingly slow?

_________________
Loving X-Slacko 1.1! Get the PetGet patch on pg8; it's important.
Next system will be an HP MOCA-AR + Core2Duo in an innovative case... if I ever get off my butt and build it Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Colonel Panic


Joined: 16 Sep 2006
Posts: 1443

PostPosted: Thu 21 Nov 2013, 11:54    Post subject:  

Geoffrey wrote:
Sage wrote:
Geoff & CP: You can make your URL links active by highlighting them and clicking 'URL' above the text box. You can do this retrospectively by using the 'edit' function, provided you are signed in on your current Forum session.
CP: suggest you send your files to Geoff. It should be possible to load them up to the Forum but it didn't work for me.
The Forum clock has gone crazy - I uploaded at 7:18 GMT which doesn't correspond to any international clock time.
Nice one CP!


I'm aware of making the links active, I guess I'm use to highlighting the link text and opening them with the right click in firefox, I'll endeavor to change my way's.

Colonel Panic, do you have anywhere to upload the files to get SlimBoat working and could you give some detailed instructions on how it should be done, as well as any adverse effects that it may cause.


Sage; thanks for the tip concerning how to make my URL link active, which I've now done.

Geoffrey, on the first part (do I have anywhere to upload the files to get SlimBoat working?); no, but I'm going to try to upload it as an attachment to a post.

As for the second (could I give some detailed instructions on how it should be done, as well as any adverse effects that it may cause?); I don't think detailed instructions are necessary, or to be honest, that I'd be competent to issue them if they were. I installed SlimBoat first from its pet file and then the two other files in order of size; the dpkg file and the libc one second.

I'm not aware of any problems which have occurred, or might occur, as a result of installing these files; but I have only my own machine to go on.

Here's the first one anyway;
dpkg-deb-1.14.20.pet
Description 
pet

 Download 
Filename  dpkg-deb-1.14.20.pet 
Filesize  106.18 KB 
Downloaded  43 Time(s) 

_________________
Compaq Deskpro Pentium III (866 MHz), 512 MB of RAM, 30 GB hard drive running Puppy Fire Hydrant Inferno, Puppy Precise 5.71 Retro, Puppy 5.5 Wary, Puppy Deeper Thought 4.20 and Puppy Legacy OS2.1 LTS.

Last edited by Colonel Panic on Thu 21 Nov 2013, 12:21; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
peebee


Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Posts: 1273
Location: Malvern, Worcs, UK

PostPosted: Thu 21 Nov 2013, 12:16    Post subject:  

Reminder to me - don't post until you've tested.....

Ignore what I said.....

Playdayz's Slimboat for Lupu doesn't work - glibc v2.11 needed error messages in Lina1.0...

Post deleted!!!

_________________
LxPup-14.03 = Puppy + LXDE

Last edited by peebee on Thu 21 Nov 2013, 12:32; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Colonel Panic


Joined: 16 Sep 2006
Posts: 1443

PostPosted: Thu 21 Nov 2013, 12:20    Post subject:  

Thanks, might be worth a try. I've had no luck so far in uploading the libc file; I keep getting a "Tried to upload empty file" message when I try it.
_________________
Compaq Deskpro Pentium III (866 MHz), 512 MB of RAM, 30 GB hard drive running Puppy Fire Hydrant Inferno, Puppy Precise 5.71 Retro, Puppy 5.5 Wary, Puppy Deeper Thought 4.20 and Puppy Legacy OS2.1 LTS.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Geoffrey


Joined: 30 May 2010
Posts: 1217
Location: Queensland Australia ɹǝpu∩uʍop

PostPosted: Thu 21 Nov 2013, 17:33    Post subject:  

starhawk wrote:
Hey -- my best spare system (for testing Pups and such) right now is a slightly elderly VAIO. Two questions, but specs first.

VAIO VGN-S360
Pentium M 1.7ghz CPU
1gb RAM
dying HDD but boots from CD just fine

I've run some kind of Puppy on it before (Upup Precise IIRC) and it was fine, but I'm not sure about Carolina because that's a heavyweight... so...

(1) Does Carolina 1.1 have PAE enabled (I hope not...)?
(2) Would it be advisable to run Carolina on a machine with the specs given above? or would it be frustratingly slow?


I'll upload lina-1.1.iso___lina-1.1-non-pae.iso.delta, md5 a4010986da66baa4e74c9a05b8da5bf8
if you have downloaded Carolina 1.1 that will give you what you want, the resulting ISO will be lina-1.1-non-pae.iso md5 3b9a73016b20426eda4fbdb60d5d5bcc

As far as running it on the Pentium M 1.7ghz CPU, 1gb RAM, I don't know, but it would be better to run it as a frugal on the HDD, don't worry if it's dying, mine's been in that state for the last 5 years and still going strong, which is in a acer aspire 5310 Intel Celeron M 1.73 GHz, with 1.5gigs of ram, runs fine, it even plays Enemy Territory ootb.
http://smokey01.com/carolina/isos/non-pae/lina-1.1.iso___lina-1.1-non-pae.iso.delta

_________________
Carolina: Recent Repository Additions
Create strikethrough text HERE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Geoffrey


Joined: 30 May 2010
Posts: 1217
Location: Queensland Australia ɹǝpu∩uʍop

PostPosted: Thu 21 Nov 2013, 17:38    Post subject: Re: web site  

Volhout wrote:
Hi Geoffry,

Maybe you can take a look at Carolina's web page. The "NEWS" is that there is a 0.07RC available.....

Volhout.


Yeah I know, I made a start on that the other day, but got distracted, not enough hours in a day, should have that done a little later.

_________________
Carolina: Recent Repository Additions
Create strikethrough text HERE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 69 of 88 [1308 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, ..., 86, 87, 88 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1005s ][ Queries: 13 (0.0221s) ][ GZIP on ]