Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 24 Oct 2014, 12:12
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Carolina - 1.2
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 68 of 99 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, ..., 97, 98, 99 Next
Author Message
oligin10

Joined: 17 Jul 2010
Posts: 189
Location: Buckeye State, USA

PostPosted: Sat 16 Nov 2013, 14:18    Post_subject: Great news!  

Very happy to see the new release. Had just checked last night wondering when it would be out. Will try it ASAP. Thanks, Rob
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Colonel Panic


Joined: 16 Sep 2006
Posts: 1521

PostPosted: Sat 16 Nov 2013, 20:56    Post_subject:  

Great to see the new release, will try this soon.
_________________
Stone Pentium IV (2.4 GHz), 2 GB of RAM, 160 GB hard drive running PuppEX 14.1, New Year's Pup 02, Puppy 4.31 Workhorse, Puppy X-Precise 2.4, Puppy Carolina 1.2, Puppy Legacy OS2 LTS, Puppy Diamond 528_512 (full) and Puppy Upup Raring 3.9.9.2.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
p310don

Joined: 19 May 2009
Posts: 720
Location: Brisbane, Australia

PostPosted: Sun 17 Nov 2013, 02:30    Post_subject:  

Downloading now.

Is the devx the same as 1.0?
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Geoffrey


Joined: 30 May 2010
Posts: 1433
Location: Queensland Australia ɹǝpu∩uʍop

PostPosted: Sun 17 Nov 2013, 03:20    Post_subject:  

p310don wrote:
Downloading now.

Is the devx the same as 1.0?


Yeah same devx, you can either rename it or load it as it is, still works the same.

I've also updated the repo with a few more app, some of which are in this release.

So far all seems good, hope you enjoy it.

_________________
Carolina: Recent Repository Additions
Create strikethrough text HERE
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Sage

Joined: 04 Oct 2005
Posts: 4797
Location: GB

PostPosted: Sun 17 Nov 2013, 10:25    Post_subject:  

A few problems, Geoff:
None of the well rehearsed expedients fixed my nV MX440 issues; presently abandoned for a Radeon card.
Several of the usual suspects of USB wireless dongles failed. Par for the course - will investigate later as have other working ones.
Default connection utility seems to be Frisbee - don't like it, never found it helpful or effective. SNS works for me (if anything works!).
Otherwise going well; fast and comprehensive.
Scope for size reduction?
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
einar

Joined: 12 Nov 2010
Posts: 162

PostPosted: Sun 17 Nov 2013, 13:55    Post_subject:  

Sage wrote:
A few problems, Geoff:
None of the well rehearsed expedients fixed my nV MX440 issues; presently abandoned for a Radeon card.
Several of the usual suspects of USB wireless dongles failed. Par for the course - will investigate later as have other working ones.
Default connection utility seems to be Frisbee - don't like it, never found it helpful or effective. SNS works for me (if anything works!).
Otherwise going well; fast and comprehensive.
Scope for size reduction?


as a friendly hint, you can use the custom builder if you want to shrink the size Smile make Sage`s custom Carolina special twist of your own Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Sage

Joined: 04 Oct 2005
Posts: 4797
Location: GB

PostPosted: Sun 17 Nov 2013, 14:03    Post_subject:  

Ah, yes, but i have form where SW juggling is concerned. Long-time Fora folk will know. I don't like it, it doesn't like me, it doesn't work, it devours valuable on-planet time, I don't do it: - leave it to the professionals....
But thanks, anyway.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Geoffrey


Joined: 30 May 2010
Posts: 1433
Location: Queensland Australia ɹǝpu∩uʍop

PostPosted: Sun 17 Nov 2013, 20:31    Post_subject:  

Sage wrote:
A few problems, Geoff:
None of the well rehearsed expedients fixed my nV MX440 issues; presently abandoned for a Radeon card.
Several of the usual suspects of USB wireless dongles failed. Par for the course - will investigate later as have other working ones.
Default connection utility seems to be Frisbee - don't like it, never found it helpful or effective. SNS works for me (if anything works!).
Otherwise going well; fast and comprehensive.
Scope for size reduction?


What ever worked for you in the previous version should also work with this one, there as been no updates to hardware compatibility, only software updates and a few added features.

Frisbee works out of the box with all the computers I've tried Carolina on, the hardware mustn't be found if it's not working for you.

Carolina isn't for everyone's hardware, I too have had problems with hardware issues with certain laptops.
Geoffrey wrote:
Pete22 wrote:
I tried installing Carolina ..7 on my friends * Gateway nv78 laptop several weeks
ago. . However the screen goes black after it starts to boot up.. I am wondering if
Carolina 1 would work.


Congratulation on a full Carolina release.


Pete, I had a Acer emachine with the same problem, it uses the Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller, the problem being the backlight is turned off.

Try editing the isolinux.cfg to read
Code:
default puppy
display boot.msg
prompt 1
timeout 50

F1 boot.msg
F2 help.msg
F3 help2.msg

label puppy
kernel vmlinuz
append initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash vga=0x311 acpi_osi=Linux

see if that helps, I don't have anything here at the moment to test with.


If anyone has any tips that overcome hardware compatibly problems, please post them here, I will create a list of confirmed fixes or workaround and put a link to them in the first post of this thread.

_________________
Carolina: Recent Repository Additions
Create strikethrough text HERE
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Sage

Joined: 04 Oct 2005
Posts: 4797
Location: GB

PostPosted: Mon 18 Nov 2013, 03:49    Post_subject:  

Thanks for all those helpful tips, Geoff.
All my HW is ASP-homebuild. Swapping is the name of the game chez moi.
Xfce, Opera, SNS are my favoured selections, HW is my bag. if you want me to fix your boiler, pipework, roof, plasterwork, build a studwall, electrics, even build/renovate/upgrade/strip a PC- just call. But for SW I have to rely on gurus like your goodself, so thanks again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Colonel Panic


Joined: 16 Sep 2006
Posts: 1521

PostPosted: Mon 18 Nov 2013, 08:57    Post_subject:  

Has anyone managed to get a recent version of Chromium working in Carolina? I tried to run Iron (for Lucid) in it and was told I needed a certain version of GLIBC (2.11 IIRC) before it would run, so I didn't bother.

Thanks in advance,

CP .

_________________
Stone Pentium IV (2.4 GHz), 2 GB of RAM, 160 GB hard drive running PuppEX 14.1, New Year's Pup 02, Puppy 4.31 Workhorse, Puppy X-Precise 2.4, Puppy Carolina 1.2, Puppy Legacy OS2 LTS, Puppy Diamond 528_512 (full) and Puppy Upup Raring 3.9.9.2.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Geoffrey


Joined: 30 May 2010
Posts: 1433
Location: Queensland Australia ɹǝpu∩uʍop

PostPosted: Mon 18 Nov 2013, 17:14    Post_subject:  

Colonel Panic wrote:
Has anyone managed to get a recent version of Chromium working in Carolina? I tried to run Iron (for Lucid) in it and was told I needed a certain version of GLIBC (2.11 IIRC) before it would run, so I didn't bother.

Thanks in advance,

CP .


The version of google chrome in the repo is the last version that will run in Carolina, look in the sfs downloader of the ppm
Code:
# ldd --version
ldd (GNU libc) 2.10.1
Copyright (C) 2009 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
Written by Roland McGrath and Ulrich Drepper.

There is a list of puppies and the glibc versions they use here http://puppylinux.org/wikka/glibc

I haven't tried it, but this may work http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=437391#437391

_________________
Carolina: Recent Repository Additions
Create strikethrough text HERE
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Geoffrey


Joined: 30 May 2010
Posts: 1433
Location: Queensland Australia ɹǝpu∩uʍop

PostPosted: Mon 18 Nov 2013, 23:24    Post_subject: latest Virtual Box version 4.2.3 r90405  

umair wrote:
Hi Geoffrey :
I want to install Virtual Box to run Win xp in carolina. Tried different sfs files of vbox. also load the devx file of carolina, but no success. please help.
Thanks in advance.
UMAIR


I've built the latest Virtual Box version 4.2.3 r90405 with kernel drivers for both the PAE and Non-PAE, this should run without having to load the devx and kernel source, get virtualbox-4.3.2-carolina.sfs from the repo, use PPM sfs downloader.

_________________
Carolina: Recent Repository Additions
Create strikethrough text HERE
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Marv


Joined: 04 May 2005
Posts: 350
Location: SW Wisconsin

PostPosted: Mon 18 Nov 2013, 23:44    Post_subject:  

Geoffrey wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:
Has anyone managed to get a recent version of Chromium working in Carolina? I tried to run Iron (for Lucid) in it and was told I needed a certain version of GLIBC (2.11 IIRC) before it would run, so I didn't bother.

Thanks in advance,

CP .


The version of google chrome in the repo is the last version that will run in Carolina, look in the sfs downloader of the ppm
Code:
# ldd --version
ldd (GNU libc) 2.10.1
Copyright (C) 2009 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
Written by Roland McGrath and Ulrich Drepper.

There is a list of puppies and the glibc versions they use here http://puppylinux.org/wikka/glibc

I haven't tried it, but this may work http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=437391#437391


Following that thread and using what seems like the most up to date deb for 2.11, I can indeed run SlimBoat in Carolina 1.0, non-pae. Defaults to locale C but SlimBoat ( which is webkit based and requires 2.11 ) runs quite well. Haven't flogged everything else but opera, editors, thunar... all seem ok. Figured I'd have a last hurrah with 1.0 for better or for worse. More and more sites are breaking Opera 12.16 and so far they all work in SlimBoat (as does flash). Like opera, I have it installed in the boot partition and shared by all the pups in the kennel.

_________________
tweaked 412 based boxpup, well honed 'lina-lite-005, alphaOS 321 Wink , X-slacko 2.2n, Lxpup-Tahr, and not to forget trusty Carolina/Carolite (now with 3.17 kernel). All lean and steady pups.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Sage

Joined: 04 Oct 2005
Posts: 4797
Location: GB

PostPosted: Tue 19 Nov 2013, 03:33    Post_subject:  

Oh dear - FlashPlayer issues again! Loaded the repo suggested version (11-??-222) but it doesn't enable for BBC iPlayer - show stopping for Brits and Commonwealth cousins/overseas subscribers. Bound to be one version that works, but which?! It's as much Auntie's fault, but that doesn't solve the issue! Maybe we shouldn't've elected a non-IT literate PM who took the Devil's shilling, but we are where we are.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Geoffrey


Joined: 30 May 2010
Posts: 1433
Location: Queensland Australia ɹǝpu∩uʍop

PostPosted: Tue 19 Nov 2013, 05:17    Post_subject:  

Sage wrote:
Oh dear - FlashPlayer issues again! Loaded the repo suggested version (11-??-222) but it doesn't enable for BBC iPlayer - show stopping for Brits and Commonwealth cousins/overseas subscribers. Bound to be one version that works, but which?! It's as much Auntie's fault, but that doesn't solve the issue! Maybe we shouldn't've elected a non-IT literate PM who took the Devil's shilling, but we are where we are.
What version as worked for you in the past, there are others in the repo if you do a manual search.

I think this is the oldest http://smokey01.com/carolina/pet_packages-carolina/flash_player_11_linux.i386.pet

There more here http://smokey01.com/carolina/old_packages/

When you get it working can you please let us know which one worked for you, then we won't have this issue again.

Maybe someone else knows of the flash version your looking for.

_________________
Carolina: Recent Repository Additions
Create strikethrough text HERE
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 68 of 99 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, ..., 97, 98, 99 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1110s ][ Queries: 13 (0.0244s) ][ GZIP on ]