Lexmark X2350 and CUPS.

For drivers and kernel modules.
TheNH813

Lexmark X2350 and CUPS.

#1 Post by TheNH813 »

I am trying to uninstall CUPS but it refuses to be uninstalled with the error no user package with the name cups-1.4.8-w5c exists. I have compiled another version on a different PC and would like to replace the preinstalled version with it. Any ideas, maybe add a line to the user installed packages list? This is very important, because I am going to test a custom driver for a printer that I have kindof hacked up because Linux has to support fopr it since it was released in 2005. Also my driver only works with cups 1.2.X (so far) and no higher, so im basically downgrading its version first. I done part of the driver on puppy 5.2.8 which had a older version of CUPS that was not developed b Apple, and they changed some things, making all my work useless :( I have nothing against Apple developing CUPS, as most printers work with it, besides the one I am making a driver for. If the driver works reproducibally across computers, I will release it as a .PET incase anyone else has a Lexmark 23XX series printer.
Last edited by TheNH813 on Mon 18 Nov 2013, 00:13, edited 2 times in total.

tallboy

#2 Post by tallboy »

Have you done it this way?

Also check out /root/.packages/builtin_files.

(careful with the Remove builtin packages application, it is too easy to remove something from the list...)

Pics are from my slightly modified LupuPlus_5.2.8.005-1

tallboy
Attachments
pupcontrol.jpg
(29.75 KiB) Downloaded 1118 times
removebuiltin-help.jpg
(38.44 KiB) Downloaded 804 times
inst-cups.jpg
(94.46 KiB) Downloaded 873 times
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

TheNH813

#3 Post by TheNH813 »

Didnt know you could do that, thank you very much. I know a bit about Puppy Linux, but not too much. Great, I just remastered it last night and burned a CD. I dont have too many left, but thats mostly because I dont go to the store too often and only buy when a 250 pack when they are $10. It did work though, but sadly the driver did nothing, printing worked, but not scanning which is the main reason I was writing the driver because I use my DeskJet or the family networked laser printer. *SIGH* I guess I will try to uncompile the MAC OS version and try to... wait CUPS is made by Apple, so the driver must have some resources in that DMG file that are already CPUS compatable! Maybe some hacking is in order LOL. I think you just helped me get this working. Thanks for the help. I am actually suprised how fast I got replys on here, I was expecting a long wait on something so uncommon.

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

What model is this unit - a Z23xx or an X23xx?

TheNH813

Type Of Printer:

#5 Post by TheNH813 »

It is a X2350.
Hmmmm. that DMG archive might have a PPD file in it, but with the confusing folder structure, itl be a while to find it. I have heard the X2350 works with a driver for a completely different model/series *sometimes*, but iv forgotten what it is. It didnt work for me last time though, but that was on Ubuntu, maybe it would work on Puppy.

TheNH813

Progress... Slow

#6 Post by TheNH813 »

Ok, I figured out that the dmg can be extracted with PeaZip.
I mounted the hfs file from inside it, and extracted the largest file called ScanIMg.pkg
I renamed the PGK to .xar and extracted it. Inside were a bunch of xml files with the license agreement in different languages.
I found a file called Payload which I opened with PeaZip to see if it was binary or not.
It is apparantly a GZIP archive of the files to be installed.
EDIT: It has a larger file called Payload in it, assuming tar archive and extracting it.
EDIT2:
YES A FOLDER CALLED LIBRARY THE MAC OS APPLICATIONS FOLDER!!!!!
Im getting closer.
EDIT3:
I changed the topic name to something more revelant.
The driver appears to be a Java Class or JAR file!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I would never had thought that. Lexmark is writing drivers in Java and saying none is available for Linux LOL.
EDIT4:
Its not a java file, it has a Java icon though, which means Puppy Linux thinks its a java class file. The file structure is very similar, and has lots of readable text, very wierd. Im assuming they are some kind of proprietary executable format from Apple. I guess I tried! Now since you asked what model, Im assuming you might have a solution.
EDIT5:
If it helps the package has some ICC profiles, and lots of XML files containing file links and version info. Im keeping the Color Profiles, Im installing them on my Windows to get the color of prints more accurate as the driver for Windows installed no profiles. Hmmm.... I wonder if those wierd binary files could be reverse engineered theres one called ScannerDriver, ScannerDriverGUI, DriverBackendUSBIO, PrintDriver and PrintdriverGUI. Their names tell me exactly what they do!

TheNH813

Take at using drivers from another OS.

#7 Post by TheNH813 »

I downloaded Lexmark's universal driver that works with all their printers and found one file with a .pp_ extension which is a CAB compressed PPD file. I will see if it works before waiting for a reply.
EDIT:
That PPD files does not work, even though it specifies paper sizes and options in itself. I guess Il check the forum tomorrow to see if I got a reply, have a nice day everyone.