Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 21 Dec 2014, 11:20
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 178 of 190 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, ..., 188, 189, 190 Next
Author Message
bigpup


Joined: 11 Oct 2009
Posts: 5497
Location: Charleston S.C. USA

PostPosted: Sat 16 Nov 2013, 04:34    Post_subject:  

lupu 5.2.8.6 20131114

My Netgear N150 Wireless USB network adapter will not work in this version of Lupu, but does in Lupu3hd 5.2.8.6

The driver module ath9k_htc usb is what is needed.

This driver module is in Lupu3hd, but not in Lupu 5.2.8.6

Seems Lupu3hd has a better driver module support.

Edit:
I think this may be the reason, as stated here by tempestuous.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=513417#513417
Seems the slight difference, in the Linux kernel, in Lupu3hd, is a factor in support for this needed driver.

_________________
I have found, in trying to help people, that the things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected Shocked

Edited_times_total
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
bigpup


Joined: 11 Oct 2009
Posts: 5497
Location: Charleston S.C. USA

PostPosted: Sat 16 Nov 2013, 04:44    Post_subject:  

Nice improvements to fbpanel configuration.
Much easier to use.

I have no problem finding Grub4dos config in the menu.
Nice feature making it available in several locations. Cool

You do know what happens when you say:
"official announcement pending"?

Must be time to really start testing. Very Happy Laughing

_________________
I have found, in trying to help people, that the things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected Shocked

Edited_time_total
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
peebee


Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Posts: 1548
Location: Worcestershire, UK

PostPosted: Sat 16 Nov 2013, 05:36    Post_subject:  

Hi Richard

Tested the 2013114 iso....Broadcom WL automatically chosen for my wifi and working fine....

2 small comments if I may:

- I think you could safely upgrade Openbox to version 3.5.0 - I've tried it and it seems to work fine

- on startup SNS is run as the default connection manager - perhaps this should now be replaced by your much improved and well tested Frisbee??
Quote:
▶—— Distro Specifications ——◀

Distro: Lucid 528
Desktop Panel: fbpanel 6.1
Window Manager: Openbox 3.5.0
Desktop Start: xwin openbox
Cheers
peebee

_________________
LxPup-14.10 = Puppy + LXDE
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
rerwin


Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 1551
Location: Maine, USA

PostPosted: Sat 16 Nov 2013, 18:16    Post_subject:  

Thanks for all of the feedback on 20131114.

OscarTalks, thanks for pointing out the update to pmusic. Unfortunately it must have come out after I grabbed pmusic, so will be corrected next time I upload (and there appear to be reasons to do that). Grub4dos seems to specify all 3 places. I think shinobar provided it -- and I yield to his choices. I am open to upgrading JWM, but do not know where to get it. Any guidance on that (to pet package) is welcome.

bigpup wrote:
Not sure if this is a problem or feature.
Seems to be some pet files and remaster scripts in /root
It's a mistake. I use those for the different remasters and copied them somewhere else for use, but forgot to uninstall the package containing them. Will fix.

peebee wrote:
- I think you could safely upgrade Openbox to version 3.5.0 - I've tried it and it seems to work fine

- on startup SNS is run as the default connection manager - perhaps this should now be replaced by your much improved and well tested Frisbee??
Where do I get the openbox pet package, in the slacko 5.5 download library? I would like to add it, given your confidence in it. Re SNS, I am reluctant to force users to switch to frisbee, preferring to keep everything familiar.
Richard
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
OscarTalks

Joined: 05 Feb 2012
Posts: 938
Location: London, England

PostPosted: Sat 16 Nov 2013, 23:36    Post_subject:  

Hi Richard,

I don't think Shinobar will mind if you taylor things to the needs of the distro. My suggestion would be to edit the line in the desktop file to just read:-
Categories=X-SystemMemory
and remove the rest. This just keeps Grub4Dos next to Grub Legacy and is more tidy. It isn't a feature that people use very often anyway. I do know that BK has done a lot of reorganising of the menu structure since the previous Lucid, so sometimes these things do need to be adapted, but I will of course respect your decision if you prefer to leave it as it is now.

Regarding JWM, I have compiled the latest snapshot 876 and uploaded it to my Yandex Disk here:-
http://yadi.sk/d/zTshLczR4wHj8
snapshot 871 is also there which I have been using for a while so is more tested but I reckon the latest will be the best one to go for.

You can also grab the jwmconfig2 package from there.
The version jwmconfig2-130504 is the one by 01micko which is in Slacko
The version jwmconfig2-130504-5 is (as I understand it) the one which has later been tweaked a little bit by BarryK for Woof and is in Precise so probably best to use that one (also in ibiblio pet_packages-noarch repo).

Oh, and Zigbert has just released pBurn 4.3.0

_________________
Oscar in England

Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
peebee


Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Posts: 1548
Location: Worcestershire, UK

PostPosted: Sun 17 Nov 2013, 06:49    Post_subject:  

rerwin wrote:
Where do I get the openbox pet package
Richard


Hi Richard

See the 2nd post at:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=80569

Works fine for me.
Regards
Peter

p.s. Openbox is now at v3.5.2 but they've significantly changed the window placement logic....

_________________
LxPup-14.10 = Puppy + LXDE
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
Ray MK


Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 771
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sun 17 Nov 2013, 10:04    Post_subject:  

Regarding SNS and/or Frisbee -
keep SNS because for a newbie it is so easy to use - and seems to work well most of the time.

Maybe a Frisbee SFS could be made available for those times when SNS needs a little help.

Frisbee is generally easy to use and would be nice to have as an option, it is very good when one is out and about roaming.

BTW Richard - what you are doing with Lupu is fantastic - much appreciated.

Many thanks and very best regards to all involved.

_________________
Asus 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. IBM A21m laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. X60 T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. T41 Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
peebee


Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Posts: 1548
Location: Worcestershire, UK

PostPosted: Sun 17 Nov 2013, 10:39    Post_subject:  

Ray MK wrote:
Frisbee is generally easy to use and would be nice to have as an option


Hi Ray

Just answering for Richard - Frisbee is already there as an option.....

Cheers
Peter

_________________
LxPup-14.10 = Puppy + LXDE
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
OscarTalks

Joined: 05 Feb 2012
Posts: 938
Location: London, England

PostPosted: Mon 18 Nov 2013, 01:20    Post_subject:  

Still testing lupu 5.2.8.6 20131114

JWM snapshot 876 and jwmconfig2-130504-5 all looking OK

Installed latest Firefox ESR (Extended Support Release) 24.1.1esr

Also my SlimBoat browser 1.1.43.pet runs nicely.

Menus tweaked as mentioned before and looking neat.
lupufoxjwm.jpg
 Description   Lupu 5.2.8.6 - Firefox ESR - New JWM
 Filesize   58.26 KB
 Viewed   537 Time(s)

lupufoxjwm.jpg

lupuslimboat.jpg
 Description   Lupu 5.2.8.6 - SlimBoat Browser - Tidy Menus
 Filesize   65.52 KB
 Viewed   550 Time(s)

lupuslimboat.jpg


_________________
Oscar in England

Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
playdayz


Joined: 25 Apr 2008
Posts: 3789

PostPosted: Mon 18 Nov 2013, 13:37    Post_subject:  

Quote:
Also my SlimBoat browser 1.1.43.pet runs nicely.


Oscar. This looks interesting. It is not going to be smaller than Firefox though. I like that the web site has special instructions for Puppy. I also like that the latest version runs in Lucid--we are down to Firefox and Seamonkey otherwise. Did you install the gstreamer libs? Is it worth packaging? Thanks. Wait, I see you have packaged it. If a few people could test I could add it to the Lucid repo.
http://www.slimboat.com/en/dlpage.php

Oscar's Slimboat pet -> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=737334&search_id=1896387554#737334

Add: Looks great. Starts up faster than Firefox.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
playdayz


Joined: 25 Apr 2008
Posts: 3789

PostPosted: Mon 18 Nov 2013, 14:08    Post_subject:  

rerwin, There is a problem with "select default browser, just to the right of the Menu button. If one uses it, it doesn't write the /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser correctly for the Help to work (i.e, Abiword -> Help -> Help Contents, etc.). The exec line in defaultbrowser varies of course, but for Help to work it needs the argument at the end. Select default browser is not writing that. That is probably the problem that Bigpup reported a week or so ago. I think it happened because we fixed the Help in 005 but select default browser predated that. I would say easiest to just delete it, or someone will have to fix the script. Browsers in the repo write correct defaultbrowser.

Code:
exec slimboat "$@"
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
rerwin


Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 1551
Location: Maine, USA

PostPosted: Mon 18 Nov 2013, 17:56    Post_subject:  

playdayz wrote:
rerwin, There is a problem with "select default browser, just to the right of the Menu button. If one uses it, it doesn't write the /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser correctly for the Help to work (i.e, Abiword -> Help -> Help Contents, etc.). The exec line in defaultbrowser varies of course, but for Help to work it needs the argument at the end. Select default browser is not writing that. That is probably the problem that Bigpup reported a week or so ago. I think it happened because we fixed the Help in 005 but select default browser predated that. I would say easiest to just delete it, or someone will have to fix the script. Browsers in the repo write correct defaultbrowser.
I tested the "browser-default" script and it produced the correct text in defaultbrowser. All 3 of the Help items displayed as expected. The code appears to include the "$@" part.

Could you show us the examples of the failure? The script uses /usr/share/application/*.desktop files to find the browsers. Could you list the content of the .desktop file for a browser that does not get set up right?

I would like to hand this off to radky, if he will take it, since it is the object of a launch button in pfbpanel. But we need some data to test with.
Richard
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
playdayz


Joined: 25 Apr 2008
Posts: 3789

PostPosted: Mon 18 Nov 2013, 20:04    Post_subject:  

rerwin, i am doing some more testing. When I install Firefox, defaultbrowser is OK, but if I then use the select browser installer and choose Firefox, it writes an incorrect entry without the argument. However, it appears that with Firefox, the Help works even without the proper argument in defaultbrowser (because I guess of the way the Help hack is structured, maybe, or with the way Firefox is invoked). So, not worth any trouble. I will keep looking--radky can pm me with any ideas. Whatever it is, it's left over from 005 and no one has ever complained that I know of.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
radky

Joined: 02 May 2010
Posts: 469

PostPosted: Mon 18 Nov 2013, 23:19    Post_subject:  

Hi playdayz,

Its great to see you on the forum again. Welcome home! Smile

After installing Firefox-24 via Quickpet I can't replicate the problem you describe for the browser-default script. Changing the default browser reliably appends the "$@" argument to the new selection in /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser, and Abiword help is OK.

However, if the browser-default script is inconsistent in some scenarios, a possible replacement would be the well-tested 'defaults-chooser' utility (below) which correctly appends the "$@" argument to the new browser selection. Plus, it has the advantage of an intuitive interface for quickly changing many additional default applications in usr/loca/bin/.

defaults-chooser: http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=03059

_________________
PupMates
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
playdayz


Joined: 25 Apr 2008
Posts: 3789

PostPosted: Mon 18 Nov 2013, 23:40    Post_subject:  

Hey radky, I am glad to see you involved in the update of Lucid. I think this all means nothing. This is from 005--has anything about this been changed?
In the case of Firefox only, the pet writes the following to defaultbrowser
Code:
exec /usr/lib/firefox/run-mozilla.sh /usr/lib/firefox/firefox "$@"

select default browser writes the following
Code:
exec firefox

But /usr/bin firefox is
Code:
/usr/lib/firefox/run-mozilla.sh /usr/lib/firefox/firefox


It seems to work OK. I guess run-mozilla.sh handles it all. I regret that I did not test more before I mentioned it Embarassed I remember it now, around v12 of Firefox it became necessary to start FF this way and I see that I implemented that inconsistently. I would change the pet, but it seems to me there is no real problem so better left alone--please let me know if you think otherwise. The choice to make any change in fbpanel would be yours and rerwins.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 178 of 190 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, ..., 188, 189, 190 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1525s ][ Queries: 13 (0.0532s) ][ GZIP on ]