Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 23 Jul 2014, 16:22
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Other Distros
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 85 of 109 [1629 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, ..., 107, 108, 109 Next
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Fri 08 Nov 2013, 16:19    Post subject:  

I've just downloaded AntiX 13.2, and it looks good for the most part - for example, you can choose which version of Debian to set as your repository (stable, testing etc.). However I was unable to install Softmaker Office (I've got the full 2012 version) in it once I'd installed it to my hard drive, so I doubt it will be a "keeper" on my machine
Stone Pentium IV (2.4 GHz), 2 GB of RAM, 30 GB hard drive running Puppy Precise 5.7.1 csipesz, Puppy 2.14X Classic Top10, Puppy EmSee v2.1, Puppy 3.01 Fire Hydrant, Puppy 4.12 Retro, Legacy OS2 LTS, Legacy OS4 and Midnight Sun 003.
cimarron

PostPosted: Tue 12 Nov 2013, 13:13    Post subject:  

My other OS is Ubuntu 12.04. My wife wanted to stay with the classic desktop with gnome-panel and its menus (which do have their advantages), and I discovered I could run the unity-2d launcher and dash along with the classic desktop. Really nice launcher (with a few hacks to make it look better). Unfortunately they discontinued unity-2d soon after 12.04, I believe. But 12.04 is supported until 2017. Maybe I'll try Mint after that.

What I just found out is that I could remaster my Ubuntu install with all its hacks and tweaks and make it bootable from a flash drive. Even save changes made while running from the flash drive so they're there the next time. So it's similar to a remastered puppy with savefile, portable and bootable on other computers (just ten times larger; 2Gb with a 1Gb savefile).

Remastersys makes the remaster pretty easy. It's no longer being developed, but the software is currently still available. I'm really glad I found it.

Last edited by cimarron on Fri 15 Nov 2013, 19:17; edited 1 time in total
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Tue 12 Nov 2013, 14:43    Post subject:  

I decided to give Solus 1.3 one last go, following its developer's decision to stop working on it, and it seems to be working OK.
Stone Pentium IV (2.4 GHz), 2 GB of RAM, 30 GB hard drive running Puppy Precise 5.7.1 csipesz, Puppy 2.14X Classic Top10, Puppy EmSee v2.1, Puppy 3.01 Fire Hydrant, Puppy 4.12 Retro, Legacy OS2 LTS, Legacy OS4 and Midnight Sun 003.
Billtoo

PostPosted: Wed 13 Nov 2013, 00:56    Post subject: Other Distros  

I installed the amd64 version of Debian Wheezy 7.20 to a Gateway desktop
pc,dvd 1 was a 3.7gb download, I didn't get the other 3 dvds that were
available.
I've been using synaptic to add my favourite applications but there
are other methods of adding software as well.
It's working well.
EDIT:
I did another install to an older hp desktop this time installing
xfce4 instead of gnome3.
It's working well on this one too.
screenshot2.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   29.37 KB
 Viewed   988 Time(s)

screenshot2.jpg

screenshot.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   37.53 KB
 Viewed   1303 Time(s)

screenshot.jpg

Last edited by Billtoo on Sun 17 Nov 2013, 12:48; edited 1 time in total
bark_bark_bark

PostPosted: Thu 14 Nov 2013, 20:25    Post subject:  

I have Slackware 14.1 running since it's ISOs were released. It is working quite well for me. I have install pipelight and Steam from alienBOB's repo.
01micko

PostPosted: Thu 14 Nov 2013, 22:01    Post subject:  

bark_bark_bark wrote:
I have Slackware 14.1 running since it's ISOs were released. It is working quite well for me. I have install pipelight and Steam from alienBOB's repo.

How is pipelight working? (For those who don't know it is a 'kind-of native but still needs wine' linux replacement for silverlight.

Not much point me installing it as netflix etc aren't available in Australia, plus with my sh*t bandwidth it would be forever buffering... Rolling Eyes

BTW, I updated my 3 slackware installs with slackpkg on the 32 bit versions and slackpkg+ on the 64, it has multilib installed.

pemasu

PostPosted: Fri 15 Nov 2013, 17:21    Post subject:  

Quote:
How is pipelight working? (For those who don't know it is a 'kind-of native but still needs wine' linux replacement for silverlight.

I use pipelight in 64 bit Lubuntu for Netflix. With Chromium and Google-chrome. It needed user agent switcher to spoof as Firefox 15. And I installed also Mediahint plugin so that I have access to US netflix movies. I watch them with english subtitles with my kids. The US movie repo is much larger than with finnish Netflix version.
And....the combo is working great.
leeper69

PostPosted: Fri 15 Nov 2013, 18:42    Post subject:  diferant linux distro,s  

Hi everyone
I am new to puppy and have been using antix on my old laptop until the last version 13 upgrade which will not find my linksys pcimcia wireless card.
I tried puppy 5.7 and had no problem connecting to my wireless router.
puppy 5.7 is vary polished and functional and uses ubuntu repositories which I use on my home PC. after a few days of tinkering with this distro
I have gimp and kaffiene installed and working.
my old laptop is a p3 866mh with ati mobel 128 graphics and is hard to find distro,s that will boot with vesa. puppy is my first choice for old hardware.
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Sat 16 Nov 2013, 21:00    Post subject:  

Just testing the latest beta (0.51) of Vector 7.1 (32-bit); have to say I can't see much wrong with it so far and it looks like it's pretty much ready for release.
bark_bark_bark

PostPosted: Sun 17 Nov 2013, 14:17    Post subject:  

01micko wrote:
bark_bark_bark wrote:

Not much point me installing it as netflix etc aren't available in Australia, plus with my sh*t bandwidth it would be forever buffering... Rolling Eyes

BTW, I updated my 3 slackware installs with slackpkg on the 32 bit versions and slackpkg+ on the 64, it has multilib installed.

Well, I realized I had no real need for silverlight, but it works. I had more use for flash and shockwave support in pipelight.

Billtoo

PostPosted: Sun 17 Nov 2013, 23:45    Post subject:  

Chrome OS on an Acer Chromebook that I bought last spring.
It's good for surfing the net, at least that's pretty much what I use it for.
Screenshot.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   39.61 KB
 Viewed   892 Time(s)

Screenshot.jpg

James C

PostPosted: Mon 18 Nov 2013, 02:08    Post subject: SalineOS shutting down  

Another distro calling it quits....
http://salinelinux.proboards.com/thread/815/salineos-shutting

Quote:
I decided quite some time ago; that I simply do not have enough free time in a day to complete all the work that needs to be done to make a release that lives up to my own quality standards. Working an over 40 hour a week job and trying to assemble a fully complete and just works Linux distribution is just entirely too much work for one person.
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Mon 18 Nov 2013, 06:30    Post subject: Re: SalineOS shutting down  

James C wrote:
Another distro calling it quits....
http://salinelinux.proboards.com/thread/815/salineos-shutting

Quote:
I decided quite some time ago; that I simply do not have enough free time in a day to complete all the work that needs to be done to make a release that lives up to my own quality standards. Working an over 40 hour a week job and trying to assemble a fully complete and just works Linux distribution is just entirely too much work for one person.

Sorry to see this; I thought Saline was pretty good from what I recall of it. I think it suffered from the problem of only having one main developer, who needed to earn a living, just as Solus did; at the end of the day there's only so many hours you can devote to working on the distro.

Makes me wonder how many distros we'll be left with at the end of it all, and (more controversially I know) whether or not Dedoimedo was right when he said there are already far too many and we need to lose some.

nooby

PostPosted: Mon 18 Nov 2013, 09:22    Post subject:  

Angel Linux based on Puppy is on DistroWatch now.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/angellinux/
http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20131118#waiting

I don't trust that I have tested it. Are the Developer of
Angel "Puppy" Linux active on Murga forum?

Last edited by nooby on Wed 20 Nov 2013, 15:00; edited 1 time in total
James C

PostPosted: Wed 20 Nov 2013, 05:13    Post subject:  

Another little side project.....Debian Sid w/ LXDE ,the latest Iceweasel ,Gnome MPlayer and Synaptic. This version is 463 mb.
Something to do when I can't sleep..... Laughing

Code:
Wed Nov 20 03:24:34 CST 2013
james@lxde:~$ uname -r
3.11-5.towo-siduction-686
james@lxde:~$
Sid LXDE.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   53.53 KB
 Viewed   664 Time(s)

Sid LXDE.jpg

Page 85 of 109 [1629 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, ..., 107, 108, 109 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Jump to: