Other Distros

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Colonel Panic

#1261 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've just downloaded AntiX 13.2, and it looks good for the most part - for example, you can choose which version of Debian to set as your repository (stable, testing etc.). However I was unable to install Softmaker Office (I've got the full 2012 version) in it once I'd installed it to my hard drive, so I doubt it will be a "keeper" on my machine
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

cimarron

#1262 Post by cimarron »

My other OS is Ubuntu 12.04. My wife wanted to stay with the classic desktop with gnome-panel and its menus (which do have their advantages), and I discovered I could run the unity-2d launcher and dash along with the classic desktop. Really nice launcher (with a few hacks to make it look better). Unfortunately they discontinued unity-2d soon after 12.04, I believe. But 12.04 is supported until 2017. Maybe I'll try Mint after that.

What I just found out is that I could remaster my Ubuntu install with all its hacks and tweaks and make it bootable from a flash drive. Even save changes made while running from the flash drive so they're there the next time. So it's similar to a remastered puppy with savefile, portable and bootable on other computers (just ten times larger; 2Gb with a 1Gb savefile).

Remastersys makes the remaster pretty easy. It's no longer being developed, but the software is currently still available. I'm really glad I found it.
Last edited by cimarron on Fri 15 Nov 2013, 23:17, edited 1 time in total.

Colonel Panic

#1263 Post by Colonel Panic »

I decided to give Solus 1.3 one last go, following its developer's decision to stop working on it, and it seems to be working OK.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Billtoo

Other Distros

#1264 Post by Billtoo »

I installed the amd64 version of Debian Wheezy 7.20 to a Gateway desktop
pc,dvd 1 was a 3.7gb download, I didn't get the other 3 dvds that were
available.
I've been using synaptic to add my favourite applications but there
are other methods of adding software as well.
It's working well.
EDIT:
I did another install to an older hp desktop this time installing
xfce4 instead of gnome3.
It's working well on this one too.
Attachments
screenshot2.jpg
(29.37 KiB) Downloaded 1159 times
screenshot.jpg
(37.53 KiB) Downloaded 1490 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Sun 17 Nov 2013, 16:48, edited 1 time in total.

bark_bark_bark

#1265 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I have Slackware 14.1 running since it's ISOs were released. It is working quite well for me. I have install pipelight and Steam from alienBOB's repo.

01micko

#1266 Post by 01micko »

bark_bark_bark wrote:I have Slackware 14.1 running since it's ISOs were released. It is working quite well for me. I have install pipelight and Steam from alienBOB's repo.
How is pipelight working? (For those who don't know it is a 'kind-of native but still needs wine' linux replacement for silverlight.

Not much point me installing it as netflix etc aren't available in Australia, plus with my sh*t bandwidth it would be forever buffering... :roll:

BTW, I updated my 3 slackware installs with slackpkg on the 32 bit versions and slackpkg+ on the 64, it has multilib installed.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

pemasu

#1267 Post by pemasu »

How is pipelight working? (For those who don't know it is a 'kind-of native but still needs wine' linux replacement for silverlight.
I use pipelight in 64 bit Lubuntu for Netflix. With Chromium and Google-chrome. It needed user agent switcher to spoof as Firefox 15. And I installed also Mediahint plugin so that I have access to US netflix movies. I watch them with english subtitles with my kids. The US movie repo is much larger than with finnish Netflix version.
And....the combo is working great.

leeper69

diferant linux distro,s

#1268 Post by leeper69 »

Hi everyone
I am new to puppy and have been using antix on my old laptop until the last version 13 upgrade which will not find my linksys pcimcia wireless card.
I tried puppy 5.7 and had no problem connecting to my wireless router.
puppy 5.7 is vary polished and functional and uses ubuntu repositories which I use on my home PC. after a few days of tinkering with this distro
I have gimp and kaffiene installed and working.
my old laptop is a p3 866mh with ati mobel 128 graphics and is hard to find distro,s that will boot with vesa. puppy is my first choice for old hardware.

Colonel Panic

#1269 Post by Colonel Panic »

Just testing the latest beta (0.51) of Vector 7.1 (32-bit); have to say I can't see much wrong with it so far and it looks like it's pretty much ready for release.

bark_bark_bark

#1270 Post by bark_bark_bark »

01micko wrote:
bark_bark_bark wrote:I have Slackware 14.1 running since it's ISOs were released. It is working quite well for me. I have install pipelight and Steam from alienBOB's repo.

Not much point me installing it as netflix etc aren't available in Australia, plus with my sh*t bandwidth it would be forever buffering... :roll:

BTW, I updated my 3 slackware installs with slackpkg on the 32 bit versions and slackpkg+ on the 64, it has multilib installed.
Well, I realized I had no real need for silverlight, but it works. I had more use for flash and shockwave support in pipelight.

Billtoo

#1271 Post by Billtoo »

Chrome OS on an Acer Chromebook that I bought last spring.
It's good for surfing the net, at least that's pretty much what I use it for.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(39.61 KiB) Downloaded 1114 times

James C

SalineOS shutting down

#1272 Post by James C »

Another distro calling it quits....
http://salinelinux.proboards.com/thread ... s-shutting
I decided quite some time ago; that I simply do not have enough free time in a day to complete all the work that needs to be done to make a release that lives up to my own quality standards. Working an over 40 hour a week job and trying to assemble a fully complete and just works Linux distribution is just entirely too much work for one person.

Colonel Panic

Re: SalineOS shutting down

#1273 Post by Colonel Panic »

James C wrote:Another distro calling it quits....
http://salinelinux.proboards.com/thread ... s-shutting
I decided quite some time ago; that I simply do not have enough free time in a day to complete all the work that needs to be done to make a release that lives up to my own quality standards. Working an over 40 hour a week job and trying to assemble a fully complete and just works Linux distribution is just entirely too much work for one person.
Sorry to see this; I thought Saline was pretty good from what I recall of it. I think it suffered from the problem of only having one main developer, who needed to earn a living, just as Solus did; at the end of the day there's only so many hours you can devote to working on the distro.

Makes me wonder how many distros we'll be left with at the end of it all, and (more controversially I know) whether or not Dedoimedo was right when he said there are already far too many and we need to lose some.

nooby

#1274 Post by nooby »

Angel Linux based on Puppy is on DistroWatch now.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/angellinux/
http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue ... 18#waiting

I don't trust that I have tested it. Are the Developer of
Angel "Puppy" Linux active on Murga forum?
Last edited by nooby on Wed 20 Nov 2013, 19:00, edited 1 time in total.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

James C

#1275 Post by James C »

Another little side project.....Debian Sid w/ LXDE ,the latest Iceweasel ,Gnome MPlayer and Synaptic. This version is 463 mb.
Something to do when I can't sleep..... :lol:

Code: Select all

Wed Nov 20 03:24:34 CST 2013
james@lxde:~$ uname -r
3.11-5.towo-siduction-686
james@lxde:~$ 
Attachments
Sid LXDE.jpg
(53.53 KiB) Downloaded 848 times

darkcity

#1276 Post by darkcity »

nooby wrote:Angel Linux based on Puppy is on DistroWatch now.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/angellinux/
http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue ... 18#waiting

I don't trust that I have tested it. Are the Developer of
Angel "Puppy" Linux active on Murga forum?
Was posted on reddit too, apparently it has many emulators - reminds me of arcade puppy.

mcewanw

HowTo install live Lubuntu onto usb stick from Puppy Precise

#1277 Post by mcewanw »

Lubuntu from live installation (with persistence) onto usb stick (needs PAE capable CPU to boot this - google fake-PAE for possible workarounds)

Used Puppy Precise 5.6.1 to undertake the lubuntu installation as follows:

1. Downloaded linux 32bit lubuntu-13.10-desktop-i386.iso from http://lubuntu.net

2. I used Gparted to create three partitions on my 16 GB usb drive, which on my system appeared as /dev/sdb... when plugged in (was very IMPORTANT to double check this was the desired target usb stick...):

/dev/sdb1 1 GB ext2 primary partition
(Once you have made all the partitions, right-click on this first partition and select Manage Flags and checkbox boot to make it bootable)
/dev/sdb2 14 GB ext2 primary partition - used required-for-persistence special volume label casper-rw
/dev/sdb3 1 GB fat32 primary partition

EDIT (27Nov13): Actually, you need to arrange for the FAT32 partition to be partition 1 instead or MS windows won't see it and want to format your usb stick. I forgot about that. Also, it is a good idea to partition usb drives more carefully to help prolong their lifetime and perhaps make them faster in operation. I don't know how accurate it is but there is an article about that here: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/How_to_Damage ... age_Device. I haven't had any problems so far though, even though I have just been partitioning any old way...

NOTES:
I made the unnecessary FAT32 partition just so I could easily move files between linux and MSwindows systems.
The sizes of the partitions isn't important as long as partition 1 is large enough to store the contents from the lubuntu iso. Most any usb flash stick of size 1 GB or over can thus be used for installing lubuntu in this manner.

3. I installed the syslinux mbr.bin bootloader onto the UNMOUNTED usb stick (again double checked /dev/sdb really was the usb stick first!):

dd if=/usr/lib/syslinux/mbr.bin of=/dev/sdb bs=446 count=1
NOTE: That on Puppy Precise 5.6.1 the syslinux boot code mbr.bin can be found at location /usr/lib/syslinux. On some other systems it is sometimes found at /usr/share/syslinux.

4. I then mounted the first partition, /dev/sdb1 and installed the extlinux ldlinux.sys boot loader code onto that, by using command:

# extlinux -i /mnt/sdb1
4. I then copied all files and directories (including any hidden ones) from the lbuntu iso to that same mounted partition (/mnt/sdb1).

i.e. Using Rox filemanager:

Open the contents of the lubuntu iso by clicking on it, show hidden files in Rox, and then copy all lubuntu iso contents over to your mounted /mnt/sdb1.

5. On /mnt/sdb1 I then made a txt file called extlinux.conf containing following:

default /casper/vmlinuz
append initrd=/casper/initrd.lz file=/cdrom/preseed/lubuntu.seed boot=casper quiet splash -- persistent
Above is for booting from usb from the installed extlinux. However, I also boot the stick from another machine that has a BIOS that doesn't boot usb. In its case, I boot the usb stick from the 'already installed to harddrive' grub4dos mbr with the menu.lst lines:

title lubuntu frugal on sdb1
kernel (hd1,0)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper  noeject noprompt splash persistent -- 
initrd (hd1,0)/casper/initrd.lz boot
Note that because the second partition on my usb has volume label "casper-rw", which lubuntu looks for, that automatically provides persistence between reboots (i.e. any filesystem changes or work stored during lubuntu use get automatically saved there and, similar to pup-save, appear automatically in filesystem tree on reboot).
Last edited by mcewanw on Wed 27 Nov 2013, 07:07, edited 4 times in total.
github mcewanw

James C

#1278 Post by James C »

James C wrote:Another little side project.....Debian Sid w/ LXDE ,the latest Iceweasel ,Gnome MPlayer and Synaptic. This version is 463 mb.
Something to do when I can't sleep..... :lol:

Wed Nov 20 03:24:34 CST 2013
3.11-5.towo-siduction-686
Just doing a bit of upgrading.......

Sun Nov 24 02:43:16 CST 2013
3.12-1.towo-siduction-686
......trying to add the desired applications while keeping things as small as possible.

Sun Nov 24 02:54:18 CST 2013
james@lxde:~$ free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:       2585480     526304    2059176          0       2428     216112
-/+ buffers/cache:     307764    2277716
Swap:      4198396          0    4198396

anikin

JWM/Rox Debian

#1279 Post by anikin »

James C,
A while ago you posted a picture of JWM/Rox Debian in another thread. I'm curious to know if that was an OOTB user choice, or your own effort? I suspect the latter - if so - how hard is that to implement? One more, have you ever attempted installing JWM/Rox in Porteus - is it doable?

Thank you in advance.

James C

Re: JWM/Rox Debian

#1280 Post by James C »

anikin wrote:James C,
A while ago you posted a picture of JWM/Rox Debian in another thread. I'm curious to know if that was an OOTB user choice, or your own effort? I suspect the latter - if so - how hard is that to implement? One more, have you ever attempted installing JWM/Rox in Porteus - is it doable?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 136#733136

I don't have a lot of free time at the moment so that was just a quick proof of concept using Debian packages and apt-get.Getting to the point shown in the picture was dead simple.
Haven't really thought about trying in Porteus but should be possible .