A change in how the Linux community does things...

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
ardvark

A change in how the Linux community does things...

#1 Post by ardvark »

Hi all...

I found this article today and from this statement, I'm wondering if this the beginning of a trend...
"Though in the announcement of dropping 32-bit CUDA Linux support, it sounds like they might also remove the CUDA driver from the 64-bit NVIDIA Linux driver. 'The CUDA driver might not be included in future releases of the NVIDIA Linux-x86 and Linux-x86_64 GPU driver packages."
This comes after Adobe's decision to quit releasing new versions of Flash Player after 11.2 roughly a year ago. Decisions like this can't help but to adversely affect Linux's "adoptibilty," at least among end users, who expect things to just work with a minimum of hassles.

As far as flash is concerned, at some point down the road, 11.2 will no longer be compatible and will no longer run any content. I don't think it's realistic to explain to potential users that they can only see flash content if they install Google Chrome. While I have not tried them, I don't think the community's home grown solutions, Lightspark and Gnash, compare well with Flash Player, either. Neither of these options are going to be acceptable to the vast majority of users.

This is just one example. Are we going to see further divestment from companies who currently support Linux?

While I freely admit that I don't have all the answers, I think the entire Linux community is going to have to do some "soul searching" and have a discussion about it's future in terms of market growth and adoption rates and how to achieve that. We need to give these (and other) companies an incentive for supporting Linux as well as to start walking away from reverse engineering as an accepted way to solving most of the driver/software issues. While I certainly support open source principles, I don't think that means there isn't any room for a capitalistic approach to improving Linux and making it more appealing and usable.

For that to happen, I think it's going to involve some serious financial investment from the community, most likely in the form of an extremely modest charge to download your favorite distribution, say $10.00 or $20.00 per release (and no more.) This way, everyone can afford to pay, rich or poor.

There's more I could discuss on this topic but I think I will stop for now. :wink:

Regards...
Our Lord and Savior [url=http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/]Jesus Christ[/url] loves and cares about you most of all!

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up [url=http://www.spiritlessons.com/Documents/BillWiese_23MinutesInHell_Text.htm]here![/url]

disciple

#2 Post by disciple »

I don't think it's realistic to explain to potential users that they can only see flash content if they install Google Chrome.
But it's fine if users can only see flash content if they install Flash bloatware?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

ardvark

#3 Post by ardvark »

disciple wrote:But it's fine if users can only see flash content if they install Flash bloatware?
Not at all, it would be great if Gnash and Lightspark worked just as good as Flash Player and that's part of my point, how many Community projects works as good and/or are just as capable as their Windows counterparts?

Regards...

Moose On The Loose

#4 Post by Moose On The Loose »

ardvark wrote:
disciple wrote:But it's fine if users can only see flash content if they install Flash bloatware?
Not at all, it would be great if Gnash and Lightspark worked just as good as Flash Player and that's part of my point, how many Community projects works as good and/or are just as capable as their Windows counterparts?

Regards...
Will flash still work on Android?
If "no" then I see a scrap heap in their future
if "yes" then I see that there may be another path to make flash work

amigo

#5 Post by amigo »

flash has never worked for android as it is not portable to ARM instruction set. But flash really is on its way out now, with html5 ebing adopted and h264 being open-sourced.

rokytnji

#6 Post by rokytnji »

To paraphrase,
"We don't need no stinking badges!"

http://linternamagica.org/

Low ram gear and using Flash 10.3 led me to that.

Besides: I thought you puppy users had , (I have it in AntiX also)

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/GtkYoutubeViewer

so why sweat the small stuff?

disciple

#7 Post by disciple »

There's also smtube.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

sunburnt

#8 Post by sunburnt »

Flash is one of the stupidest things going in computers. I think it`s a scam with web providers.
Flash player is pretty much crap-ware, it works horribly and crashes frequently. Says it all...

Linus Torvalds held up his middle finger at nVidia for poor Linux support. Buy AMD / ATI..!!!