Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Roy

Desktop Templates

#2601 Post by Roy »

I apologize for this question, but can somebody explain how to get the desktop "Lock" icon permanently moved from the top right screen corner?

I want to use Zigbert's Pwidgets for analog clock, calendar, etc., and can't get the Lock icon to stay out of the way.

Thanks in advance,
-Roy

bigpup

#2602 Post by bigpup »

Try this:

Left click and hold on icon.
Move the "Lock" icon to the place you want it on the desktop.
Right click on icon.
Select edit item.
Select locked.
Hit OK.

That should lock the "Lock" icon to that position on desktop.

This is one way that may work.
menu->Desktop->Desktop settings->Desksetup Templates for desk icons
Before using this program, arrange the icons on the desktop the way you want them.
Start the program.
Click this button to save your custom arrangement.
(this makes a custom template, of the desktop, as you now have it)
Under choose a desktop layout
Select custom.
Select apply.

This should now be the desktop that gets used at boot.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#2603 Post by bigpup »

playdayz wrote:
From /usr/bin/iron
exec /usr/lib/iron-linux/iron --user-data-dir=/root/.config/iron "$@"
from /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser
exec iron "$@"
From /usr/share/applications/iron.desktop
Exec=iron %U
My default browser is Firefox.
I added the "arguments" to the Firefox files at these locations.
Problem fixed.
Non of the arguments were there.
Most excellent. Now, the question is why they were not there.? How did you install Firefox? Could you uninstall and try the Firefox 24 pet from PPM? Quickpet -> More Pets -> Update Lupu PPM to see the Firefox 24 if you can't already. If you are already using that, or any Firefox from PPM, then the answer might be that rerwin is refining the browser install process.
From a fresh frugal install of Lupu3hd5286 no save file.

Installed Firefox 24 lucid from Quickpet.
With this, help contents, in any program, works and goes to the programs help page.

However, not sure if this is an issue.

/usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser
exec Firefox
Has the "argument" "$@"

/usr/bin/firefox

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
/usr/lib/firefox/run-mozilla.sh /usr/lib/firefox/firefox
/usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop

Exec=/usr/lib/firefox/run-mozilla.sh /usr/lib/firefox/firefox
The defaultbrowser file is the only place that has the "argument"
Seems to work with it only there.
Not sure if other browsers would have the "argument" in their entries.

With the other setup of Lupu3hd, I had been trying installs of Opera, from various locations. That did mess up the default browser file.
One of the Opera installs made the desktop browser icon revert to showing the browser selection screen.
I used that screen to install Firefox 24 and noticed that programs help was not working.
For some reason the "argument" "$@" did not get entered anyplace.

I learned Opera is evil :twisted:

Edit:
Tried Iron and Opera 11.62 from Quickpet.
Programs help seems to be working OK.
All of these browsers seem to be putting the "argument" "$@" in the defaultbrowser file.
Last edited by bigpup on Sat 09 Nov 2013, 19:25, edited 3 times in total.
YaPI(any iso installer)

sheldonisaac

Desktop settings

#2604 Post by sheldonisaac »

bigpup wrote:Try this:
Thank you, bigpup.
Attachments
MyDesktop.png
Custom desktop
(3 KiB) Downloaded 470 times
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

bigpup

#2605 Post by bigpup »

rerwin,

Something you may want to look at.
Seemed to be some missing firmware, in Lucid 5.2.8, that caused this problem with wireless connection.
The solution is here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90088
YaPI(any iso installer)

sheldonisaac

about .deb install

#2606 Post by sheldonisaac »

deleted.
Last edited by sheldonisaac on Sat 09 Nov 2013, 21:20, edited 1 time in total.

sheldonisaac

install from .deb, etc

#2607 Post by sheldonisaac »

playdayz wrote:
Conventional install of deb file. By conventional install I meant, click the deb file and PPM will install it. One would still have to manually create the desktop file to get a menu entry, and the defaultbrowser file if one wanted. Personally I always believed that if a program such as Opera offered a Ubuntu deb file and Puppy claimed Ubuntu compatibility, then Puppy should install that deb file "properly," that is, with a menu entry and optionally as the defaultbrowser. Not to mention that the program would run correctly. PPM will install the deb file, but not "properly"--though with some coding it could be done.
Hi, playdayz.
I snipped out your text, except for the part I hadn't noticed yesterday, about .deb install.
Had been using 5.2.8-005 as my primary Puppy for a couple of years?
Having recently messed up the savefile, I thought to try the updated

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 167938048 2013-10-29 10:48 /mnt/sda4/sources/LinuxSourc/lupumini-5.2.8.6-20131028.iso

It seems to work OK.

------------------

With that as background:

I have most recently tried

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 11463094 2013-11-07 09:07
/mnt/sda4/sources/LinuxSourc/opera_11.64.1403_i386.deb

Downloaded, clicked its name in ROXfiler, and it installed. First time I'd ever used a .deb file.
Don't recall exactly what I've done, but it works fine.

Can someone explain the role of the .desktop files?

I just edit ~/.jwmrc until it does what I want.

eg,
<Program label="Web" icon="opera-browser.png">/usr/bin/opera</Program>

and

cat /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser
#!/bin/sh
## exec quickpet BI "$@"
## /opt/opera/bin/opera "$@"
/usr/bin/opera "$@"

Thanks a lot,

Sheldon
Last edited by sheldonisaac on Sun 10 Nov 2013, 12:20, edited 1 time in total.

Roy

#2608 Post by Roy »

bigpup,

I sincerely thank you for your advice! However, it didn't work for me. Every time I restarted X or rebooted, the Xlock icon returned to the upper right of the screen.

One issue that cropped up is that I don't know what a custom "radio button" in the icon manager is.

But... screw it. I deleted the Lock icon completely. This guy isn't going to use that feature anyway. His problem is solved for now.

-Roy

bigpup

#2609 Post by bigpup »

Roy wrote:bigpup,

I sincerely thank you for your advice! However, it didn't work for me. Every time I restarted X or rebooted, the Xlock icon returned to the upper right of the screen.

One issue that cropped up is that I don't know what a custom "radio button" in the icon manager is.

But... screw it. I deleted the Lock icon completely. This guy isn't going to use that feature anyway. His problem is solved for now.

-Roy
If you move the lock icon down on the right side of the desktop, it will stay there. Seems something just keeps it along the right side of the desktop.

My other suggestions usually work for all the other icons.

In fact, usually all you need to do is move the icons to a new location and they are at that location, on next x server start.
YaPI(any iso installer)

playdayz

#2610 Post by playdayz »

Tried Iron and Opera 11.62 from Quickpet.
Programs help seems to be working OK.
All of these browsers seem to be putting the "argument" "$@" in the defaultbrowser file.
Bigpup, Yes, that's OK for Firefox. I forgot. The browsers in the Lucid repo should all work correctly with Help and About. Here's Firefox 25 by the way. I am assuming everything is fine with the Help and About when using browsers from the Lucid repo.
http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Firefox-25-Lucid.pet

Sheldon
, basically you are just doing manually what the pet files in the Lucid repo do for you automatically. Help might not be working for you, because Help needs /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser to be set to the installed browser. /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser is set by the pet files that have been prepared for Lucid--if the browser is then uninstalled, the defaultbrowser file reverts to calling the Browser Installer.

The desktop file is one way Puppy makes menu entries. The pet files in the Lucid repo set the desktop file to make a menu entry. There is an alternate method called xdg that is newer and also makes a menu entry--probably you got that when you installed the Opera deb. You can also modify the desktop icons by right-clicking them and choosing Edit Item, but if you leave it as /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser, you can make the change in a more system-wide manner by editing defaultbrowser, or you can let the pets do it for you.

Anyone who wants to see the structure of the Lucid browser pet files can download this Firefox pet, and then right-click it and choose Extract Here (that is a feature from don570's program right-click). In the resulting directory you will see all the files we have been discussing. You can also do this with deb files, right-click and choose Open Archive, and see the structure of them. By comparing, one can figure out how to package pets for Lucid or other Puppies. One could, for instance, replace /usr/lib/firefox/ with a later version and change the name of the directory. The last step is open a terminal and enter dir2pet Directoryname. (that's how I just made the Firefox 25 pet).

In my testing, Firefox and Seamonkey are the only current browsers that work correctly in Lucid. Firefox and Seamonkey will also update themselves without using up any more space in the save file. The versions of those 2 in PPM and Quickpet (the lucid repo) will update themselves so there would be no need to install any more. Quickpet -> More Pets -> Update Lupu PPM to make sure you have the latest list of the contents of the lucid repo.

musher0

#2611 Post by musher0 »

Roy wrote:bigpup,

-Roy
Hi, Roy.

You shouldn't worry too much about it, but like in the children's song, the
"cat'll come back"... That's because (the way I understand it), Puppy uses
the Xlock icon to measure where to put the other icons on the ROX
pinboard at lauch time. The Xlock icon has to be somewhere at the right-
most position possible on the pinboard.

That said, you can make it almost invisible by using the attached icon.
You can also remove the label by right-clicking on any icon and then
clicking "Edit". You remove whatever text is in the 3rd entry, and then
you click ok.

Incidentally, I've got an entire series of transparent icons, but I guess I
should announce it in its own thread, right?

BFN.

musher0
~~~~~~~~
"The cat came back, the very next day!" (Children's folklore) :)
Attachments
transparent-48x-Black.png.bz2
(562 Bytes) Downloaded 219 times
lock-screen48.png
Quasi-transparent icon. (It's all transparent except for a small black dot at the bottom left.) This is not a joke... if icon does not show here, download attached zipped file instead! :)
(877 Bytes) Downloaded 542 times
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

keniv

#2612 Post by keniv »

Just an update on installing opera. I did a manual frugal install of 5286 with savefile containing working version of opera 11.50 with working flashplayer to a flash drive containing another two pups on fat 32 booting with grub4dos. Everything working with no problems with flash or dialogue boxes. However, decided to make a new clean savefile on my old Toshiba laptop to try opera 12.16. After the sfs failed previously this time I tried the pet. I installed flash 10.3.183.23 which worked with opera 11.50. I then installed opera 12.16. Tried to play the flash on the BBC weather site, which has become my test for flash, and guess what it did not work. So getting flash to work with opera is still a bit hit and miss for me.

Regards,

Ken.

Roy

#2613 Post by Roy »

Bigpup & musher0,

Thank you again for your help. It truly is appreciated and I will try the transparent icon later....

However, I found a new problem with this computer running lupusuper-5.2.8.6-20131012:

LSPCI reports

06:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Ralink corp. RT2500 802.11g [1814:0201] (rev 01)
and wifi will not stay connected longer than 2 seconds. DMESG reports

95.630432] wlan0: authenticate with 20:4e:7f:06:c2:b8 (try 1)
[   95.631849] wlan0: authenticated
[   95.643760] wlan0: associate with 20:4e:7f:06:c2:b8 (try 1)
[   95.645504] wlan0: RX AssocResp from 20:4e:7f:06:c2:b8 (capab=0x411 status=0 aid=2)
[   95.645508] wlan0: associated
[13929.465329] phy0 -> rt2500pci_set_device_state: Error - Device failed to enter state 1 (-16).
[13929.471982] phy0 -> rt2500pci_set_device_state: Error - Device failed to enter state 1 (-16).
[13931.972957] ieee80211 phy0: wlan0: No probe response from AP 20:4e:7f:06:c2:b8 after 500ms, disconnecting.
[13932.298694] cfg80211: Calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain
[65790.630130] phy0 -> rt2x00queue_write_tx_frame: Error - Arrived at non-free entry in the non-full queue 0.
[65790.630133] Please file bug report to http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com.
[65791.260859] phy0 -> rt2x00queue_write_tx_frame: Error - Arrived at non-free entry in the non-full queue 0.
[65791.260861] Please file bug report to http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com.
[65791.350508] phy0 -> rt2x00queue_write_tx_frame: Error - Arrived at non-free entry in the non-full queue 0.
[65791.350510] Please file bug report to http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com.
[65803.194454] wlan0: authenticate with 20:4e:7f:06:c2:b8 (try 1)
[65803.195877] wlan0: authenticated
[65803.196531] wlan0: associate with 20:4e:7f:06:c2:b8 (try 1)
[65803.198266] wlan0: RX AssocResp from 20:4e:7f:06:c2:b8 (capab=0x411 status=0 aid=2)
[65803.198270] wlan0: associated
[65805.110148] phy0 -> rt2x00queue_write_tx_frame: Error - Arrived at non-free entry in the non-full queue 0.
[65805.110151] Please file bug report to http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com.
Is this a legitimate bug?

-Roy

EDIT: The transparent icon works great, but I left the text and moved it to the lower right (in case it needs to be used). Also, lupu-5.2.8.6-21031028 seems to be connecting just fine (posting from it now).

bigpup

#2614 Post by bigpup »

Roy,

You need to stick your tongue out the right side of your mouth, just before doing something in Puppy.

Seems to work for me :lol:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#2615 Post by bigpup »

keniv,

Try installing the browser first.
Then install flash by using menu->Internet->Getflash install flashplayer.

In opera go to:

Page > Developer Tools > Plug-ins

Make sure Flash player is listed and not disabled.
YaPI(any iso installer)

rerwin

5.2.8.6 update freeze today

#2616 Post by rerwin »

Everyone,
I would like to freeze further updates to 5.2.8.6 today, sometime. If anyone has a last minute request or contribution, please post it today.

I would like to include pmusic-4.1.2 but am concerned that the only feedback on it is negative. Here is the thread about that:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 123#727123

The problem may be confined to precise pup 5.7.1. So, I need someone familiar with pmusic to try 4.1.2 in lupu-5.2.8.6, available at this link:
http://www.meownplanet.net/zigbert/pmusic-4.1.2.pet

Once the new set of ISO files is uploaded, I plan to start on a new "lupu 5.2.8.6" thread for maintaining it long term.

BTW, the firmware issue mentioned above is not a problem. It was included in lupuplus-528-005. The user apparently installed the original "005", not "plus". Lupu 5.2.8.6 is based on lupuplus...005.

Also, it appears that radky and I are about done with our rework of pfbpanel. It is not only stable and predictable, but contains several new options.

One more thing: musher0, could you edit your description for lock-screen48.png so that it does not stretch the width of the thread page? Please insert newlines/CRs to break up the text. Otherwise, it makes it difficult to read the thread, having to pan right and left to get through the the page. Thanks
Richard

sheldonisaac

Re: 5.2.8.6 update freeze today

#2617 Post by sheldonisaac »

Good morning, Richard.
I've snipped all but the part quoted below.
rerwin wrote:Everyone,
I would like to freeze further updates to 5.2.8.6 today, sometime. If anyone has a last minute request or contribution, please post it today.

I would like to include pmusic-4.1.2 but am concerned that the only feedback on it is negative. Here is the thread about that:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 123#727123

The problem may be confined to precise pup 5.7.1. So, I need someone familiar with pmusic to try 4.1.2 in lupu-5.2.8.6
I'm playing radio right now, with pmusic 4.12 under lupu-5.2.8.6.
Have been using 4.12 pretty much since it was released a few months ago, under LuPu 5.2.8-005 and now under the new LuPu.
Don't have any problems.

I took a quick glance at the posts in the thread you mentioned, but only a glance. If that user(s) problems still exist (he hasn't posted on that since Oct 24), someone else, and certainly Zigbert, can advise.

As you may know, Zigbert said he'd be away for a few weeks.

Thanks,
Sheldon

keniv

#2618 Post by keniv »

Hi bigpup

Thanks for your suggestions. I had installed in in the following order; video driver, flashplayer and opera. I have now left video driver in place and installed opera then flashplayer. I have tried installing all the versions of flashplayer I can find including the forum, ppm and get flash but none work with opera 12.16. Have attached the output from Page > Developer Tools > Plug-ins with some of these. They all seem to be enabled but don't work. I would be interested to know if anybody has flashplayer working in opera 12.16 using flash 10.3.183.23. from get flashplayer or any other source. I am beginning to think that my hardware won't work with flash much above 10.3.183.23 and that opera 12.16 might not work with this earlier flashplayer.

Regards,

Ken.
Attachments
Plugins1.jpg
(29.89 KiB) Downloaded 376 times
Plugins2.jpg
(22.88 KiB) Downloaded 383 times
Plugins3.jpg
(24.37 KiB) Downloaded 396 times

rerwin

#2619 Post by rerwin »

sheldonisaac,
Thanks for your confirmation that pmusic-4.1.2 is OK to include in 5.2.8.6. That is the answer I was hoping for.

I have pfbpanel debugged, now, so am ready to start building the ISOs.

My plan is to maintain a posting in the new thread for links or attachments that can be added to 5.2.8.6 until the next release of it or its successor.
Richard

Volhout

#2620 Post by Volhout »

Dear Rerwin,

All my hope is on you . Just now, my desktop PC crashed, running 525, then 528 since it came out (full install) with 528-004 last.

It ran my business. Happilly I have a fallback, using a "man..that is slow....!! XP machine".. but I am eager to try out your 528-6, especially since it will support my WIFI
(528-004 did not, but it had (amazing !!) a possibility to use the Windows XP (32) driver).

I'll watch this thread carefully. I already saw someone had Opera + Flash running, and FreeOffice I can do myself (I managed that before on Slacko on my netbook). Only thing I don't know if I can redo, is a RDP (remote desktop) to a windows PC. I remember I had a lot of trouble getting the correct libraries to make it run few years ago. But is is in Slacko now, so it should be easier to foind out how.

Full of hope, with a new harddisk installed ....... waiting for 528-6....

Volhout