Photoshop replacement? - importing and exporting

Using applications, configuring, problems
scsijon

Photoshop replacement? - importing and exporting

#1 Post by scsijon »

I've been asked if I can help with a project that currently uses photoshop. !(don't yell, I won't use it and it's too expensive for a one off project)!

Before I say no, I was wondering if there is a decent replacement in the "puppy world" that allows you to import from and export to photoshop .psp files into one of our packages.

thanks
scsijon
ps i've done a search in the forum and nothing found seems to do this.

Makoto

#2 Post by Makoto »

Did you mean *.psd files?

The GIMP has support for opening and saving to .psd files. I can't say I know how complete that support is, however.

Also, on the Windows/Mac end, you might look into Photoshop Elements. It's a sort-of basic version of Photoshop, which usually runs for about $100. Of course, there's versions of The GIMP for Windows and Macs, too...
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

Fossil

#3 Post by Fossil »

Have you considered XNView?

p310don

#4 Post by p310don »

works in wine....

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2013/01/grab- ... ight-here/

I have it and it works, but find I use GIMP almost exclusively, as I find it easier.

zigbert

#5 Post by zigbert »

Makoto wrote:The GIMP has support for opening and saving to .psd files. I can't say I know how complete that support is
google-summer-of-code 2013 has improved the support of psd-files in Gimp. I don't know when it will be included into the master branch. Gimp 2.8.8 does not include this new code.

Sigmund

mikeslr

psp file > xnview to convert > gimp to edit

#6 Post by mikeslr »

Hi scsijon,

As far as google could tell me, as of the date of this post gimp, itself, can't handle photoshop psp files. Psp stands for Paint Shop Pro. Per this 5 year old post, http://registry.gimp.org/node/6377 [which seems the most current] the easiest way to handle them is to batch convert them using xnview which, however, will merge multi-layered psp images. [Its alternative suggestion to use Paint Shop Pro to export them as png files assumes you have access to a program which natively handles psp files. Reminds me of the saying: "If we had some ham, we could have ham and eggs for breakfast. If we only had some eggs."]. At any rate, there are a couple of Puppy versions of xnview. After trying one, however, I decided for some reason that the XP portable version running under wine was better. It's actually a very nice graphic image management application --but not editor-- with a module for batch conversion. It also has a module for creating a slide show. I haven't used that and can't say whether it will run under wine.
Photo of GUI attached.

mikesLr
Attachments
xnview.png
xp's xnview portable running under wine
(186.14 KiB) Downloaded 234 times

mikeb

#7 Post by mikeb »

My gimp 2.4 has psp listed in file open dialog... perhaps if someone posted a sample psp we could test whats actually possible as I am curious now.

mike

Makoto

Re: psp file > xnview to convert > gimp to edit

#8 Post by Makoto »

mikeslr wrote:As far as google could tell me, as of the date of this post gimp, itself, can't handle photoshop psp files. Psp stands for Paint Shop Pro.
Just a minor nitpick: Paint Shop Pro isn't Photoshop. :D That, and because the file extensions are similar (.psd vs. .psp) is why I was hoping scsijon would clarify whether or not he's working with the Paint Shop Pro files, or Photoshop .psd files. :oops:
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

mikeb

#9 Post by mikeb »

Yes I saw that...not software I normally deal with...its all photoblah to me..

I did a quick test of some psp on my 2.4 gimp ...they imported with a little moaning but were useable....newer gimp should be better.
But if we are dealing with photoshop then thats another matter ...though my olde gimpo lists psd too.

mike