working! DVD+RW like IDE HD

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
Ted Dog

working! DVD+RW like IDE HD

#1 Post by Ted Dog »

The holy grail of DVD burner puppies, little known (or used) kernel packet driver in Puppy2.11Beta, just requires UDFtools (with patch) to make a DVD+RW media work like regular HD, still playing around, the drive light flashes are very regular. Will have a package soon, trying to make it bootable
here is the three lines needed to work.....
pktsetup pktcdvd0 /dev/hdc
mkudffs --media-type=dvd --udfrev=0x0150 /dev/pktcdvd/pktcdvd0
mount -t udf -o rw,noatime /dev/pktcdvd/pktcdvd0 /mnt/hdc
Ted Dog drooling with happiness :P :P

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Intriguing. Does this mean we can dispense with isofs and multisession Puppy? Possibly boot the live (customized) CD then switch to the DVD+RW for saving? How would saved settings be loaded from the DVD+RW? Hmm, food for thought.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

raffy

happy

#3 Post by raffy »

That's happiness indeed. :D

From what I understand of UDF, it makes read-write to optical media much like read-write to hard disk. But only Ted Dog knew that the software tools are there already to make this happen in DVD.

Will the DVD+RW function as swap, too?
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Yes, Ted, good catch. :)

Using DVD+RW for swap would have to be a last resort. Access to what's on the disk is relatively slow, and, if I remember right, DVD+RW is specified for around 1000 rewrites before it "wears out." Still, it might be worth doing if there is enough RAM that swap memory is seldom used.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#5 Post by Lobster »

Maybe a counter can be added and after 900 saves - burn to new DVD . . .

Good job Ted Dog
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Béèm

#6 Post by Béèm »

I am on Puppy 2.10
Yesterday I compiled udftools as well.

But udf is already in 2.10. I don't use packetwriting.

Following are the commands I use:

Code: Select all

modprobe udf
mount -t udf /dev/hdd /mnt/hdd
and I can read and write to the hdd udf device (in my case a DVD-RW).
Indeed the device is somewhat slow.
But it gives me opportunities now for extra space, as my system is pretty full on HDD space.
I still have to find out how to prepare a blank DVD for read/write
Puppy Linux 2.02 SMkey, KDE354mini, wine0.9.20, devx-qt-renamed.
Puppy Linux 2.10r1 SMkey, JWM, devx_qt_renamed_210, KDE355mini

Ted Dog

cutting edge = buggy

#7 Post by Ted Dog »

OK left a few things out.
You need to do this once

modprobe -a pktcdvd
before said three line commands, And it is already in the 211beta modules.
Tried to copy uncompressed & and compiled 2.6.18 directory to DVD+RW it was fast [too fast] something choked about 230M into the copy. But after a sloppy forced reboot stuff was still on the DVD+RW

Answers, Booting is an issue, have made a DVD using -udf and isolinux that does boot, using it now, but yet to try mount [since my only copy of complex commands was here and not viewable for most of the night]

the first and third lines of sample code are for normal use mkUDFfs creates a UDF filesystem on the DVD+RW.

No luck with my DVD-RAM media.

There is a kernel patch in 2.6.18-mm which fixes the 'too fast' and other labeling problems which may be the problem with mkUDFfs on DVD-RAM media.

This would replace, save to DVD scripts since it is a UDF and not a iso9660 disk.

This quest was restarted after trying to use the puppy-pro-XP supersized isos and was not able to save documents back, since the DVD was locked into use the full time.

Not a good Idea for swap for reasons listed by others.

Ted Dog

#8 Post by Ted Dog »

Just missed Beems message, even better!

Béèm

#9 Post by Béèm »

Ted Dog wrote:Just missed Beems message, even better!
Well in my queeste to understand udf support, I saw that pktcdvd thing as well, but I didn't quite understand how to activate it, so I dropped it.

It would be nice to have a comparaison between the two methods and eventual consequences/advantages/disadvantages.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#10 Post by GuestToo »

if you put something like this in /etc/stab:

/dev/hdc /mnt/hdc udf,iso9660 ro

Rox should be able to mount the disc automatically when the mount point is clicked ... but it doesn't seem to work

(it just occurred to me why it doesn't work ... Busybox strikes again ... it works with mount-FULL)

i can put this in fstab, and it works:

/dev/hdc /mnt/hdc iso9660 ro
/dev/hdc /mnt/udf udf ro

this way, i can click /mnt/hdc and it mounts the disc as a iso9660 file system, or i can click /mnt/udf and it will mount it as a udf fs ... closing the Rox window or moving out of the mnt point unmounts the disc automatically

of course, there's nothing to stop you from burning, for example, an ext2 file system to a disc

an interesting product is Accuburn ... see:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=19382#19382

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#11 Post by Flash »

GuestToo wrote:<>
of course, there's nothing to stop you from burning, for example, an ext2 file system to a disc
I read that somewhere else, and wondered when I saw it if ext2 (or some other filesystem) could be used instead of isofs for multisession Puppy. I think I also read that UDF is not limited use to rewritable disks, but can be used on +/-R, similar I suppose to the way multisession Puppy is done now.

I like using multisession Puppy on non-erasable DVD+/-R, for archiving and forensic uses. I don't know how the various filesystems -- UDF, ext2/3, isofs -- would keep track of the contents of the disk as they are added, but I suppose it ought to be possible.

Ted Dog

#12 Post by Ted Dog »

UDF does support limiting writebacks, and using DVD-R (will be testing: currently low on DVD-R media)

include is a updated udftools, this time stripped [way smaller]
Attachments
udftools-stripped.tar.gz
(66.72 KiB) Downloaded 774 times

Béèm

#13 Post by Béèm »

Hi Ted Dog
Out of curiosity I wanted to try your approach in Puppy 2.10, but it failed.

sh-3.00# modprobe -a pktcdvd
sh-3.00# pktsetup pktcdvd0 /dev/hdd
ioctl: Inappropriate ioctl for device
sh-3.00# 
Maybe this is only valid for 2.11

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#14 Post by Flash »

Ted, Beem, got anything new to add? I'm all agog. :D

I'm especially excited that Ted got Puppy to boot from a UDF disk. I wondered if that was possible. Is it done by simply putting the files from the Puppy iso on the UDF disk?
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

Turpin

#15 Post by Turpin »

It's cool that at least we have these capabilities on older versions of Puppy. Would be awesome to have UDF in newer versions. I use udf packet-writing all the time with windows. It's MUCH more stable on DVD+RWs than on CDRWs. I don't understand why so many people have no interest in it.
Last edited by Turpin on Wed 13 Aug 2008, 01:27, edited 2 times in total.

Inuyasha

#16 Post by Inuyasha »

Any updates on this thread would be nice.

Because of Puppy, I've been reading about the computer science of DVD-RW and DVD+RWs as of late. I didn't know +RWs could have their filesystem altered so easily.

What are the correct steps to turn the DVD+RW into a a similarity of an IDE HD in Puppy Linux? I notice many different ideas were listed, but I'm not too sure as to which ones are correct.

panzerpuppy

#17 Post by panzerpuppy »

--------------------
!!! WARNING !!!
--------------------
/!\ Possible data loss when using this (stripped) tar.gz package when writing to DVD-RAM /!\

The stripped package linked in this thread works (with 2.17) for writing to DVD-RAM,but it comes with a big risk of data loss:

There's a 40% chance that the writer will 'choke' and begin to write to the DVD-RAM indefinitely.The most interesting thing is the extremely high CPU usage which can't be detected with 'top'.
Unmounting won't work,even exiting X to do a reboot and/or shutdown won't help.
In some cases even a hard reboot of the PC won't stop the drive from writing (!),so the only option is to pull the plug and cold-boot the machine to eject the DVD.

A certain part of the data will become corrupt and it's not possible to delete it afterwards ,wasting additional space on the DVD-RAM.

Is there an updated UDF and UDF-tools package for Puppy that can fix this serious problem?

Turpin

#18 Post by Turpin »

What's the latest developmnt on this subject? Is anyone successfully using udf packet-writing on newer puppy builds? It's really important to me to be able to write discs this way. SO important that, given the choice, I'd use an old build just to have the ability. But I'm new to all this, so contemplating that means contemplating more customizing than I can stand the thought of. Until I hear from someone about this, I'll try this with the newest Puppy (as of today) 3.98.
Oh, I see the warning is specifically about DVD-RAM discs. Not a problem with DVD+RW then? Cool. I gotta try this. I have this ability under Ubuntu and Windows, and I need it for Puppy.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#19 Post by Béèm »

The latest I know of.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#20 Post by Flash »

Turpin, if you'll take the trouble to experiment with multisession Puppy you might find that it can do what you want using a standard, cheap DVD+R or DVD-R.

Basically, the fact that multisession Puppy cannot erase anything from the DVD doesn't matter because Puppy keeps track of changes and overlays the original with them. It really works. Try it. :D