Carolina - 1.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
sheldonisaac

Re: Carolina - 1.0

#981 Post by sheldonisaac »

Geoffrey wrote:
sheldonisaac wrote:I managed to make a symlink on the desktop for my friend, who does not want to know any more about computers than necessary.

The link is to a a script which causes evince to load the pdf manual for a phone I gave her.

How can we have an icon, eg a picture of a phone, for that symlink?
(instead of the generic thing it now has)

Thanks,
Sheldon
Sheldon,

Use a launcher on the desktop instead.

Rightclick the desktop and in the rightclick menu select " Create Launcher. "
To add the pdf, in the command input add " evince /path/to/my.pdf "
then for the icon click the icon button and when the menu appears " Select icon from: " > " All Icons " > type " phone " in the search,
it will show a phone, select that and OK it.

Hope that helps.
Wow, Geoffrey!
I will try it.

THANK YOU!
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

umair

#982 Post by umair »

Hi Geoffrey :
I want to install Virtual Box to run Win xp in carolina. Tried different sfs files of vbox. also load the devx file of carolina, but no success. please help.
Thanks in advance.
UMAIR

rg66

#983 Post by rg66 »

umair wrote:Hi Geoffrey :
I want to install Virtual Box to run Win xp in carolina. Tried different sfs files of vbox. also load the devx file of carolina, but no success. please help.
Thanks in advance.
UMAIR
You need to load the kernel sources as well as devx.

http://smokey01.com/carolina/sfs/kernel ... 13-ski.sfs for pae

http://carolina-linux.com/elroy/lina-li ... 2.13-c.sfs for non-pae
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

umair

#984 Post by umair »

rg66 wrote:
umair wrote:Hi Geoffrey :
Thanks in advance.
UMAIR
You need to load the kernel sources as well as devx.

http://smokey01.com/carolina/sfs/kernel ... 13-ski.sfs for pae

http://carolina-linux.com/elroy/lina-li ... 2.13-c.sfs for non-pae
@rg66:
Thnx for quick reply.
I managed to install Virtual Box. Created virtual machine of 5 GB in home folder. But when I run the machine I saw the following error:
Any Idea ????
Attachments
screen.jpg
(58.67 KiB) Downloaded 1047 times

ac2011

#985 Post by ac2011 »

I don't know if this is of interest to anyone, but I've patched Carolina's initrd.gz so you can run with ramboot=1, as was possible in Puppeee and Fluppy.

I find this useful for when the kids are using my machine, as any damage they do is undone on a reboot. Also useful for testing new software: install a PET, test it, if you don't like it it's gone on reboot.

If anyone wants it, here it is. You just need to add 'ramboot=1' to the boot line. I've merely copied the code from Jemimah's Fluppy 013 initrd.gz and applied it in the relevant places, and added a new /mnt/tmpfs3 directory for it to use.

Given the size of the SFS files you'll need a fair amount of RAM, but on a 1GB or 2GB machine it's pretty handy.

I've barely tested this, having only just finished it, so be warned...

Hmm... can't upload. Forum complains about an empty file, and says the maximum allowed file size is 0MB. Is that because I haven't posted enough yet?

Geoffrey

Updated repo

#986 Post by Geoffrey »

Updated repo with more Qt apps, see Recent Repository Additions.

I may as well do a bit of advertising for Carolina which contains some nice software.
There is the latest Nomacs image viewer, this now has a mosaic creator built in, along with it's many other features,
a great app to adjust raw camera images, along with it's ability to crop, resize and image conversion.
Attachments
mosaic.jpg
(97.06 KiB) Downloaded 811 times
mosaic1.png
(129.34 KiB) Downloaded 807 times
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

oligin10

Firefox 24 from Carolina Repository

#987 Post by oligin10 »

Hi guys, just spent some time with Carolina and it is fantastic! Any chance it will be supported longer term? Also, just a heads up. Firefox 24 doesn't install properly. When trying to run from menu or quick launch, it doesn't want to work. I had uninstalled Firefox ESR and installed Firefox 24. I can run it from usr/lib/firefox. I couldn't run from terminal. I also checked with Racy NOP 522 and same problem there. Hope you guys can keep this up. IMHO this should be the official Puppy. Thanks again, Rob

Geoffrey

Re: Firefox 24 from Carolina Repository

#988 Post by Geoffrey »

oligin10 wrote: Firefox 24 doesn't install properly. When trying to run from menu or quick launch, it doesn't want to work. I had uninstalled Firefox ESR and installed Firefox 24. I can run it from usr/lib/firefox. I couldn't run from terminal.
I found the problem, it's a typo in /usr/bin "firefox" reads as "firfox", just rename it and it will be sweet.
I'll fix the package, strange it took so long to be noticed.
I guess most wouldn't uninstall the old version and only install firefox over the top of the existing one, thus keeping the good symlink.
Attachments
firefox_error.png
(52.11 KiB) Downloaded 664 times
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]

oligin10

Fixed

#989 Post by oligin10 »

Thanks Geoffrey, all good now. Thanks for the quick response and solve. I hope you guys keep this running. I was amazed how polished this is. I know its based off Saluki, but it has really advanced since then. Thanks again, Rob

ac2011

Ramboot code

#990 Post by ac2011 »

As mentioned in my earlier post, I modified the original Carolina initrd.gz to use the 'ramboot' sections from Fluppy (also present in Puppeee). I find this feature useful: other people might too.

I can't seem to upload attachments to this forum, so I've explained how I did it here. The code should actually allow you to add ramboot=1 to almost any other version of Puppy too, though I haven't yet tried that.

Backup everything before you start, and have a spare bootable medium on hand (e.g. USB stick or CD) as this could potentially make your system unbootable if your only running OS is Carolina.

First, make a temporary directory containing a copy of the Carolina initrd.gz. In that directory, do this:

Code: Select all

mkdir initdir
cd initdir
zcat ../initrd.gz | cpio -i -d
Now create a new temp mount-point for the ramboot code to use (note, we're doing this inside the 'initdir' directory, hence the lack of a leading /):

mkdir mnt/tmpfs3
Now you need to edit the 'init' script in your favourite text editor and insert the necessary ramboot code at various points. Hopefully I've included enough of the surrounding code for you to work out where this all goes.

First bit:

#pmedia= usbflash|usbhd|usbcd|ataflash|atahd|atacd|atazip|scsihd|scsicd|cd
[ $pmedia ] && PMEDIA=$pmedia #boot parameter, broad category of boot media. ex: cd.
[ $pdev1 ] && PDEV1=$pdev1    #boot parameter, partition have booted off. ex: hda3
[ $psubdir ] && PSUBDIR=$psubdir #boot parameter, directory for puppy files. ex: puppy220
[ $pkeys ] && PKEYS=$pkeys #boot parameter, keyboard layout w476

# next bit added for ramboot
[ $ramboot ] && RAMBOOT=yes
Second bit:

#[ "$REMOVABLEDRVSAVE" = "1" ] && PUPMODE=13
  [ "$REMOVABLEDRVSAVE" = "1"  -a  "$PMEDIA" != "usbhd" ] && PUPMODE=13  #110116 shinobar.
  [ "$PMEDIA" = "usbflash" ] && PUPMODE=13 #v404 fix classmate, with internal usb flash.
  [ "$PMEDIA" = "ataflash" ] && PUPMODE=13 #w019 constrain writes to internal flash drv.
 ;;
 76) #v3.01 64+8+4 multisession cd.
  PUPMODE=77 #yes, want tmpfs top layer.
 ;;
esac

[ "$RAMBOOT" = "yes" ] && PUPMODE=12
Third bit:

#normal ${DISTRO_FILE_PREFIX}save.2fs file. just mount it from where it is...
 echo -n "Loading personal file $PUPSAVEFILE ($PUPSAVEDEV)..." > /dev/console 
 [ "`echo "$PUPSAVEFS" | grep 'ext[234]'`" != "" ] && echo "/dev/$PUPSAVEDEV /mnt/dev_save $PUPSAVEFS defaults  1 1" >> /etc/fstab #v2.21

if [ "$RAMBOOT" = "yes" ] ; then
        if [ "$PUPSAVEDEV" = '' ] ; then
                echo -e -n " \\033[1;31mError, Save file is required for ramboot option  \\033[0;39m" 
                exit
        fi
        mntfunc $PUPSAVEFS /dev/$PUPSAVEDEV /mnt/tmpfs3 noatime
        cd /mnt/tmpfs3/${PSUBDIR}
        SIZE=0
	SIZE=`ls *fs | while read line ; do SIZEK=$(du -k $line| cut -f 1); SIZE=$(expr $SIZE + $SIZEK); echo $SIZE ; done |tail -n 1`
        SIZE=`expr $SIZE + 1000`
        if [ $SIZE -gt $RAMSIZE ] ; then
                echo -e -n " \\033[1;31mError, Files too big to fit in RAM  \\033[0;39m" > /dev/consol
                exit
        fi
        mount -t tmpfs -o size=${SIZE}k tmpfs /mnt/dev_save
        mkdir /mnt/dev_save/$PSUBDIR
        echo -e  " \\033[1;35mCopying files to RAM  \\033[0;39m" > /dev/console #purple.
        echo -e  " \\033[1;35m${SIZE}KB RAM will be used\\033[0;39m" > /dev/console
        ls *fs |while read line ; do
                echo -e -n " \\033[1;35m${line} \\033[0;39m" > /dev/console #purple.
                cp -af ${line} /mnt/dev_save/$PSUBDIR > /dev/console 2>&1
        done
        cd
        umntfunc /mnt/tmpfs3
 else
      mntfunc $PUPSAVEFS /dev/$PUPSAVEDEV /mnt/dev_save noatime #-t $PUPSAVEFS -o noatime /dev/$PUPS
 fi
# above bit added for ramboot (and next line commented out)

# mntfunc $PUPSAVEFS /dev/$PUPSAVEDEV /mnt/dev_save noatime #-t $PUPSAVEFS -o noatime /dev/$PUPSAVEDEV /mnt/dev_save
Fourth bit:

if [ "$nocopysfs" = "" ];then
        echo -en "\\033[1;35m" >/dev/console #35=purple
        echo "'${basepupsfs}' now copying to hard drive (but only available next boot)..." >/dev/console
        echo -en "\\033[0;39m" >/dev/console
        PPATTERN="/dev/$xPUPSFSDEV "
        PUPSFSDEVMNTPT="`mount | grep "$PPATTERN" | cut -f 3 -d ' '`"

[ "$RAMBOOT" = "yes" ] && PUPSFSDEVMNTPT=/mnt/dev_save
Fifth bit:

#100920 decide whether to copy .sfs's to ram (see prior decision above)...
 pdPATTERN="`echo "$PUPSFSDEV" | sed -e 's/[0-9]*$//'` " 
 if [ "$PNOCOPY" != "yes" ];then
  [ "`echo -n "$ATADRIVES" | grep "$pdPATTERN"`" = "" ] && COPYCONTENDER='yes' #test if not fast internal drive.
  [ $PUPMODE -eq 5 ] && COPYCONTENDER='yes'
  [ "$DEV1FS" = "iso9660" ] && COPYCONTENDER='yes'
 fi
 [ "$PCOPY" = "yes" ] && COPYCONTENDER='yes'
 [ "$COPYCONTENDER" = "yes" ] && [ $RAMSIZE -gt 220000 ] && [ $RAMSIZE -gt $MINRAM2CPY ] && COPY2RAM="yes"

[ "$RAMBOOT" = "yes" ] && COPY2RAM=""
Once you've done all that, you then rebuild the initrd.gz file:

find . | cpio -o -H newc | gzip -9 > ../initrd_new.gz
When it's finished, copy the initrd_new.gz file to wherever you boot Carolina from, and rename it to initrd.gz (or you might be able to set up a new entry in your grub/syslinux file to use initrd_new.gz instead of initrd.gz). Booting with the kernel boot parameter 'ramboot=1' should move the Carolina SFSs and save files onto a ramdrive: they must all be in the same directory to start with, and you may need to specify pdev1 and psubdir on the kernel boot line too. And you need enough spare RAM...

Remember, nothing will be saved when you shut down.

If someone tries this code, please let me know if it works OK. It's fine for me, but if it needs any modifications I'll edit this post.

spandey

#991 Post by spandey »

I have done a frugal install of carolina in harddisk. The machine has intel integrated graphics. The characters in the screen appear compressed. the font is very light any idea how to fix it?

Geoffrey

#992 Post by Geoffrey »

spandey wrote:I have done a frugal install of carolina in harddisk. The machine has intel integrated graphics. The characters in the screen appear compressed. the font is very light any idea how to fix it?
I found that the Custom DPI isn't working until it is unchecked the checked again, this will increase font size and boldness, give that a try, you'll find it in Control Panel > Desktop > Appearance, hope that helps.
Attachments
snapshot-4.jpg
(68.13 KiB) Downloaded 1899 times

umair

#993 Post by umair »

Refer to my previous post about installation of VBOX in Carolina, I finally managed to get it working without any problem. I used the vbox.sfs from carolina's repos also loaded the devx.sfs file and all goes well. Here is the screenshot.
UMAIR
Attachments
Screenshot-3.jpg
(67.35 KiB) Downloaded 1704 times

Geoffrey

Dukto

#994 Post by Geoffrey »

Dukto, is a lan file transfer application, it also comes as a app for Window, Mac, iPad and Android.

I've tested it with another laptop running Carolina and with an Android tablet, it works fine for file,
folder and text transfer, you need only drag n drop on the application window to send.

this requires QT to work, only tested with Carolina, if it proves to be any good I'll add it to the repo, some feed back would be welcome.
Attachments
dukto.png
(31.11 KiB) Downloaded 1632 times

erikkire

my carolina

#995 Post by erikkire »

still using carolina. love it. tnx!
Attachments
asdasdasdasdasdasd ----1.jpg
(132.58 KiB) Downloaded 583 times

Colonel Panic

Re: my carolina

#996 Post by Colonel Panic »

erikkire wrote:still using carolina. love it. tnx!
Same here, I'm posting from it now.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

gcmartin

#997 Post by gcmartin »

Hi Goeffrey.

I am aware of Dukto. But, its has a major flaw. Security and its not a universal tool.

SAMBA is a much better alternative. With @01Micko's PET's implementation, he has created a "SAMBA for Dummies" (my words) approach for its use. The significance is that it is mature, stable, and offers security if chosen. And users do NOT have to install anything on ANY LAN PC for its use. Containing all of the SMB protocols, it will interact with any old/modern device which talks to Microsoft or Apple, as well. Lastly, on my Android, I DID NOT install any app to access data on my PhatSlacko/LightHouse64/Windows PCs or my NAS or my TV to exchange data.

Lastly, SAMBA 4 is smaller, smarter, and stable due its rewrite (and 6 years of testing in a world-wide community).

SAMBA (especially version 4+) may be a better choice; at least the way 01Micko has with his "SAMBA Simple Management" utility built-into his SAMBA V4+ PET(s).

This is provided as information only.

rg66

#998 Post by rg66 »

Geoffrey and I are currently working on Carolina-1.1, slowly but surely.

Suspend has never worked on my Desktop with a LAN card so I've modified the sleep.sh script and need some testers and feedback with wired and wireless. It goes in /etc/acpi, and you might want to back the old one up first.

Make sure it's executable and delete /tmp/suspend if it's there first. Use the power button to resume.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
sleep.sh.gz
(500 Bytes) Downloaded 421 times
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

Geoffrey

xfce4-weather-plugin-0.8.3

#999 Post by Geoffrey »

I've never been able to get the weather plugin to work in my local, so I've recompiled it and it now works, I tested one against the other and I'm sure the older is at fault, this version now has all the icon themes and locale files, I would appreciate if a few people could test this for me, it should overwrite the existing install.

xfce4-weather-plugin-0.8.3.pet

PS. can anybody please test rg66's sleep timer, I would but the desktop PC I have won't run sleep mode correctly and locks up.
Attachments
xfce-weather.jpg
(44.08 KiB) Downloaded 1240 times

sheldonisaac

Re: xfce4-weather-plugin-0.8.3

#1000 Post by sheldonisaac »

Geoffrey wrote:I would appreciate if a few people could test this for me,
xfce4-weather-plugin-0.8.3.pet
I've never before used a panel plug-in.
This is 'lina-lite-005

There's now a circle at the right end of the task bar, and it says No data available.

Thanks,
Sheldon
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P