How to configure Dynamic DNS client in Slacko 5.6?

Using applications, configuring, problems
AdrianH

How to configure Dynamic DNS client in Slacko 5.6?

#1 Post by AdrianH »

Trying to set up a Dynamic DNS client on my simple pc Puppy Slacko 5.6

I downloaded dnsexit scripts, there are three
setup.pl
Http_get.pm
ipUpdate.pl

I placed the two .pl scripts in /bin and the Http_get.pm in /usr/lib/perl5

Then ran /bin/setup.pl

I eventually got to the end and had an error of
crontab: can't open 'root' : No such file or directory
"@reboot /bin/ipUpdate.pl" inserted to crontab

It then goes on to say that there are interesting files to check
config file /etc/dnsexit.conf
Pid file /var/run/ipUpdate.pid
log file /var/log/dnsexit.log
cache file /tmp/dnsexit-ip.txt

Only the conf file was created and the process was not running to I ran /bin/ipUpdate.pl that generated the files

So I stopped the process and deleted the three files again. This time I rebooted the pc to again find the three files not generated and the process not running.

I have added /bin/ipUpdate.pl into /etc/rc.d/rc.local and rebooted the pc

This appears to work but not sure how reliable it will be.

Also I can not find crontab so any clues as to where it could be, if not there then I assume I would have to add the "@reboot /bin/ipUpdate.p" to another file?

I believe that puppy is different from standard installations (just a bit of reading) found on here about busybox etc, not that I understand it all.

Could anyone help?

Cheers

Adrian

01micko

#2 Post by 01micko »

I would just skip the crontab stuff. If it's running ok and your config file works then leave it as is, or remove the call from /etc/rc.d/rc.local and add the the debian.init (***renamed, see below) script to /etc/init.d and make sure it is set executable. That should auto start on boot and as it's running as a daemon it will ensure if your connection is restarted and your ISP gives you a different IP that that IP will be resolved.

There is a bug in their script failing to check if the crontab entry is successful...
crontab: can't open 'root' : No such file or directory
"@reboot /bin/ipUpdate.pl" inserted to crontab
Be aware though that the debian.init script expects the perl scripts to be in /usr/sbin AND that the debian.init script is renamed to ipUpdate! (really, no body cares about linux in proprietary land!). "Fix it yourself or ..." :roll:
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

mikeb

#3 Post by mikeb »

I do this in the router (post office netgear one)... have you checked there ? saves a lot of fiddling.
If it cannot this message willl self destruct in 5 seconds

Mike

AdrianH

#4 Post by AdrianH »

Hello 01mico and mikeb

Yes I could do it in the router. Just decided to do it in the PC and just set up port forwarding on the router, justy makes it a bit easier, I thought as it means less changes at mums.

Cheers

Adrian