PHATSlacko - March 2013

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
gcmartin

MIssing SAMBA Simple Management (SSM) in PhatSlacko

#121 Post by gcmartin »

toronado wrote:So after using the universal installer to frugal install and finding that there was no Menu>Network>Samba Simple Management, and that several of the desktop icons do nothing when you click them, I found this thread and manually copied the adrv_slacko_5.5.02.sfs to the install directory. This gave me the Menu>Network>Samba Simple Management but the "write" and "calc" desktop icons still do nothing.

What is the correct method to install this? Boot from the CD and use the Universal Installer and then manually copy the adrv_slacko_5.5.02.sfs from the CD, or do not run the universal installer at all and instead just manually copy each of these files from the CD to the install directory:
vmlinuz
initrd.gz
puppy_slacko_5.5.05.sfs
adrv_slacko_5.5.02.sfs

???
Something is amiss???

Questions
  1. After downloading, were you able to compare the md5 of your download?
  2. Are you sharing that when you created a CD/DVD from the ISO, you did NOT have a Menu item for SSM utility?
Maybe someone else has had a similar issue with a PhatSlacko download. Curious??

gcmartin

Something is amiss with PhatSlacko 5.5.02

#122 Post by gcmartin »

@Toronado, you're absolutely spot-on!

Missing 01Micko's SSM Utility.

ISO and System has been either corrupted or crippled from version 5.5.00

Appealing to @01Micko for resolution.
Attachments
FirstRUN.png
FirstRUN is as follows
(101.08 KiB) Downloaded 549 times
image-1.png
The Menu for SSM is gone from downloaded ISO???
(116.82 KiB) Downloaded 444 times

toronado

Re: MIssing SAMBA Simple Management (SSM) in PhatSlacko

#123 Post by toronado »

gcmartin wrote:After downloading, were you able to compare the md5 of your download?
OK, just checked and it matches.
gcmartin wrote:Are you sharing that when you created a CD/DVD from the ISO, you did NOT have a Menu item for SSM utility?
I didn't check for (nor was I aware of) the existence of SSM when I first booted PHATSlacko from the CD I created from the ISO. I only noticed that it didn't exist in my frugal install. (It wasn't until after I manually copied the adrv_slacko_5.5.02.sfs file to the frugal install directory that the SSM menu item existed in my frugal install.)

In an attempt to better answer your question, I just tried booting from the CD using pfix=ram and the SSM menu item does exist when booting this way.

gcmartin

#124 Post by gcmartin »

Hummm???

I tried in the prior post and did NOT find SSM when I booted a new download. I verified the md5, created a new CD, and booted pfix=ram only to get to the desktop and NOT have an SSM in the Menu (as shown)???

Must be some explanation which, at the moment, is escaping me.

James C

#125 Post by James C »

Might help.....

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=84913
Changes of interest (from 5.5.00)

new 3.8.5 kernel (ID's as "3.5.8.1".. there is a reason for that ..more later)
Firefox is moved to the Adrive
JWM-715
samba is now switched off at first boot, run Simple Samba Setup (from Menu>Network) and it turns on.
Attachments
capture2161.png
(31.81 KiB) Downloaded 415 times
PhatSlacko 5.5.02.jpg
(38.72 KiB) Downloaded 501 times

toronado

#126 Post by toronado »

James C wrote:samba is now switched off at first boot, run Simple Samba Setup (from Menu>Network) and it turns on.
We aren't discussing the default on/off state of Samba, we are discussing the existence (or lack thereof) of the SSM menu item.

toronado

#127 Post by toronado »

gcmartin wrote:Hummm???

I tried in the prior post and did NOT find SSM when I booted a new download. I verified the md5, created a new CD, and booted pfix=ram only to get to the desktop and NOT have an SSM in the Menu (as shown)???

Must be some explanation which, at the moment, is escaping me.
Your screen shot looks a bit different from my screen.

Just to be absolutely sure, I deleted all my Puppy install partitions and booted from the CD (not using pfix=ram). I have the SSM and a few other items not present in your screen shot. Also the desktop background is different. (I'll post a screenshot later if it will help.)

James C

#128 Post by James C »

toronado wrote:
James C wrote:samba is now switched off at first boot, run Simple Samba Setup (from Menu>Network) and it turns on.
We aren't discussing the default on/off state of Samba, we are discussing the existence (or lack thereof) of the SSM menu item.
If you're hunting a menu entry other than the Samba Simple Management in the screenshot above feel free to disregard the above post.Good luck.

gcmartin

Booted WRONG CD.

#129 Post by gcmartin »

Found my problem: Wrong distro marking on the cover of the CD. (Too many CDs in the stack)

Sorry.

PhatSlacko seems OK.

gcmartin

#130 Post by gcmartin »

BTW, @James C does show the SSM as we should being seeing it.

There is one additional thing that MUST be done after you setup the SSM to share a folder that you choose. The server needs a password of your choosing to access your folder from the LAN PCs. I think this is explained in the document I shared earlier.

To do so, merely open a terminal and do the following to set your desktop's password along with the SAMBA password
Do this

Code: Select all

passwd
Then do this

smbpasswd -a
Now, from any Windows/Mac/Linux PC, when it ask you to provide the username and password, use root and the password you chose from above, when necessary.

That all there is to it.

Hope this helps.
P.S. Setup and test your SAMBA BEFORE you set your firewall ON. This will insure you have all connection working, first, then you can turn your firewall on. On a couple of occasions, the Firewall has been a culprit when testing.

toronado

Re: Booted WRONG CD.

#131 Post by toronado »

gcmartin wrote:PhatSlacko seems OK.
Is this 5.5.02 you are running now? If so, at your convenience, could you try clicking on the "write" and "calc" desktop icons? Do they launch programs? (Mine do nothing.)

gcmartin

#132 Post by gcmartin »

Sorry for the delay. Yes, the OOTB of the office desktop functions (Libre) do not work when clicked. Dont remember this happening with original version 5500.

And, the Libre stuff in missing from the 5502's Menu.

toronado

#133 Post by toronado »

gcmartin wrote:And, the Libre stuff in missing from the 5502's Menu.
Not on my 5502. I have several Libre 4.0 items in my menu. It runs Libre calc and writer fine when launched from the menu, and yet the desktop icons don't seem to be linked to anything. (they do nothing when clicked)

01micko

#134 Post by 01micko »

The libre launch icons are broken and a fix was posted in the second thread of the topic.

echo '!/bin/sh 
exec libreoffice4.0 --writer "$@"' > /usr/local/bin/defaultwordprocessor 
chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/defaultwordprocessor
and for calc

echo '!/bin/sh 
exec libreoffice4.0 --calc "$@"' > /usr/local/bin/defaultspreadsheet 
chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/defaultspreadsheet
These commands need to be run in a rxvt (terminal emulator).
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

simargl5

#135 Post by simargl5 »

Why Puppy needs /usr/local/bin/defaultspreadsheet in the first place,

when no other distribution use it?

Answer: MIME types handling in Puppy is broken.

:(

toronado

#136 Post by toronado »

01micko wrote:The libre launch icons are broken and a fix was posted in the second thread of the topic.

echo '!/bin/sh 
exec libreoffice4.0 --writer "$@"' > /usr/local/bin/defaultwordprocessor 
chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/defaultwordprocessor
and for calc

echo '!/bin/sh 
exec libreoffice4.0 --calc "$@"' > /usr/local/bin/defaultspreadsheet 
chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/defaultspreadsheet
These commands need to be run in a rxvt (terminal emulator).
Thank you! It works!

gcmartin

#137 Post by gcmartin »

toronado wrote:
gcmartin wrote:I think you will immediately see how that utility make SAMBA use "too simple".
Thanks. The only thing that is "too simple" is that it doesn't seem to have a provision for setting up more than one share. I'd like to have more than one share. Is there a config file I can edit to add additional shares?
SAMBA config is found in /etc/samba/smb.conf. System is set to use that.

After manual changes, test your changes by opening a terminal and type

testparm
Be sure to restart SAMBA via SSM for changes to take effect. Also, after modifying smb.conf and opening SSM, INSURE YOU DO NOT SAVE IT on SSM screen! to avoid mismanaging the prior changes you made to the smb.conf file.

Here to help

toronado

#138 Post by toronado »

gcmartin wrote:SAMBA config is found in /etc/samba/smb.conf. System is set to use that.
It works. Thanks!

toronado

#139 Post by toronado »

gcmartin wrote:There is one additional thing that MUST be done after you setup the SSM to share a folder that you choose. The server needs a password of your choosing to access your folder from the LAN PCs. I think this is explained in the document I shared earlier.

To do so, merely open a terminal and do the following to set your desktop's password along with the SAMBA password
Do this

passwd
Then do this

smbpasswd -a
Now, from any Windows/Mac/Linux PC, when it ask you to provide the username and password, use root and the password you chose from above, when necessary.
I didn't do any of this. I just entered "root" and "woofwoof" when Windows prompted me for credentials and it worked.

toronado

I'm having a few issues this morning - I keep miss-posting!

#140 Post by toronado »

:oops: SORRY!