Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
OscarTalks

#2581 Post by OscarTalks »

Ken,

Are you talking about the website bbc.co.uk/weather ?

I just tested rerwin's latest lupu 5.2.8.6 (20131028). Booted the fresh live CD with pfix=ram. Installed Opera 12.16 .pet and Flash Player 11.2.202.310 .pet (also tested 10.3.183.90).

My packages are in here:- http://yadi.sk/d/zTshLczR4wHj8

Went to the BBC weather page and the Flash videos are playing for me without any problems.

Sorry but I am baffled as I am unable to reproduce any problem with Flash in Opera. Could it be some issue with your graphics card perhaps? That is the only idea that springs to mind and I have no idea how to investigate further.
Attachments
flashinopera.jpg
Testing Flash in Opera in Lupu 5.2.8.6
(68.72 KiB) Downloaded 682 times
Oscar in England

rerwin

#2582 Post by rerwin »

bigpup wrote:Any chance of Playdayz putting some info about the Lupu 5.2.8.6 update in the first post of this topic?

Maybe time to start new topic for Lupu 5.2.8.6?
That is the plan. Playdayz has offered a link to a new thread, which I plan to start after my next uploaded version.

The delay, now, is to complete an upgraded pfbpanel. Radky and I are working it over, to kill bugs, shrink the window and add some of the Stu90 plugins that also need some work.
Richard

bigpup

#2583 Post by bigpup »

keniv,

This Flash problem you are having is caused by Firefox and their desire to take over the browser world. They have secretly paid Flash developers to block its ability to work on anything but Firefox.
Microsoft did the same thing for Internet Explorer, but Firefox made a deal to not tell the world that Microsoft used Firefox and simply changed the name to Explorer.

Here to make you feel good.

I too can not reproduce your problem. Opera and Flash work fine for me.

This is going to be something simple and easy to fix after you have pulled out all of your hair and stopped throwing the computer out the window.

First step for this kind of problem is start at beginning.
(You may have done this, but with computers you never know).

Do a completely fresh new install of Lupu 5.2.8.6
Install one program at a time and test each one completely.
Always make sure you are at a good working known condition before doing next step.

Hopefully that simple little unseen reason will show its self and we can all slap our foreheads. :wink:

At any point in this process, if something pops up please tell us :!: :!:

I used the Flash Player you can get by using the program menu->Internet->Getflash install FlashPlayer

Graphics card driver could be an issue.
Are you using a Hardware specific driver?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#2584 Post by bigpup »

rerwin,

Again, thank you very much for what you are trying to do. Nice to see you got Playdayz helping!!!

Not trying to push you.
Just wanted to suggest a way to make it a little more obvious that there was a Lupu 5.2.8.6. It is a little hard to find, with your post several pages back in this topic.
Figured a link in the first post, would help people find it for testing.
YaPI(any iso installer)

James C

#2585 Post by James C »

No problems with flash here....... frugal install of Lucid 5.2.8.6 with Flash 10.3.r183 (newest that will work on this old Athlon XP box).

Remember, testing is fun..... :lol:
Attachments
Opera plugins.jpg
(18.44 KiB) Downloaded 583 times
Opera flash.jpg
(47.6 KiB) Downloaded 583 times

bigpup

#2586 Post by bigpup »

keniv,

Any chance the AMD processor issue with Flash could be the problem.
Attachments
getflash.jpg
(51.43 KiB) Downloaded 570 times
YaPI(any iso installer)

sheldonisaac

Opera/flash problem

#2587 Post by sheldonisaac »

James C wrote:No problems with flash here....... frugal install of Lucid 5.2.8.6 with Flash 10.3.r183 (newest that will work on this old Athlon XP box).
Remember, testing is fun..... :lol:
Thanks to you guys for trying to help.
Only on this computer have I used rerwin's new Lucid Puppy.
I have the same setup & results as James C.
It's a Dell D610 laptop:
-Computer-
Processor : Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 2.13GHz
Memory : 2066MB (237MB used)
Operating System : Puppy Linux 0.52
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Thu 07 Nov 2013 07:50:13 AM EST
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
Remainder snipped.
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

keniv

#2588 Post by keniv »

Hi All

Thanks again for all the replies. It has given me new heart. I was beginning to give up hope. I'll try to answer the Q's I've been asked about my system. I am using a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4200 800MHz 320MB. It uses a Pentium lll (coppermine) CPU. I guess this answers bigpups question about a possible problem with old AMD processors and flash 11. I assume there is no issues with old Pentium processors. I am using the Xorg_High-1-lucid which is the one recommended for my video card. I have attached some info from "system information" on this. The flash video I am using as a test is here http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/pa10 . It has a weather forecast flash video. I originally ran Opera 11.50 with flash 10.3.183. 23 which produced corrupted dialogue boxes in 5286 and then ran Opera from opera-12.16-1860.i386.opt.sfs with sheldonisaacs solution to the crash reports problem. Flash did not work. The history of this is in my previous posts. As I was getting desperate I decided to try opera 11.50 again in my "clean" test 5286 savefile. I uninstalled opera-12.16-1860.i386.opt.sfs and manually removed .opera from root. This savefile now only had Xorg_High-1-lucid and flash 10.3.183. 23 installed. I installed opera 11.50 pet. Normally I would have installed my bookmarks but I did not do this. I only have Google, the BBC weather site above and the puppy forum. Flash is working in this set up! There are no corrupt dialogue boxes :P . I am gradually setting up opera the way I like it but have not broken it yet. I am posting from it now. I normally use JWM as my desktop manager but have left it as Openbox. I noticed in 5286 that when set to JWM my machine sometimes booted up into Openbox. Has anybody else seen this? I wonder if its possible that opera works better in Openbox. I also wondered if the manual frugal install and booting from grub could have an effect. I will burn a cd of 5286 and boot from it to a new savefile with opera 12.16 installed from a pet and see if flash will work. I will continue to set up opera 11.50 and see what if anything causes the corruption of the dialogue boxes. I will also switch desktop managers and see if that has an effect. I would stick with opera 11.50 if it keeps working but I do wonder if it would cause security issues. Is this likely?

Regards,

Ken.
Attachments
SystInfo.jpg
Info on CPU and Video Card
(18.97 KiB) Downloaded 471 times

James C

#2589 Post by James C »

keniv wrote: I'll try to answer the Q's I've been asked about my system. I am using a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4200 800MHz 320MB. It uses a Pentium lll (coppermine) CPU. I guess this answers bigpups question about a possible problem with old AMD processors and flash 11. I assume there is no issues with old Pentium processors.
The same flash issue does affect some, or possibly all, PIII 's too....... my main PIII 733 Mhz Coppermine test box is limited to Flash 10 also.

keniv

#2590 Post by keniv »

Hello James C

Thats interesting. Based on this perhaps I should just stick to flash 10.3.138.23 which is the one I found seemed to work best previously. Just to add to my previous post I have changed window manager to JWM. Flash is still working and there is no dialogue box corruption so it looks like its not a window manager issue.

Ken.

sheldonisaac

pmount problem

#2591 Post by sheldonisaac »

Hi, just a minor problem: I recenty changed a partition to ext4 without a journal.
Now, pmount refuses to mount it, if it was not mounted at bootup, or was unmounted afterwards.

Maybe this is a lead to fixing that?

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02885

Thanks,
Sheldon

rerwin

Re: pmount problem - ext4 file systems

#2592 Post by rerwin »

sheldonisaac,
Thanks for point this out. The obvious thing to try is the fixed version of guess_fstype. Attached is the version from precise 5.7.1. Could you (and anyone else) try it?
Richard
Attachments
guess_fstype-lupu_test.pet
From precise pup 5.7.1, for experimentation only
(6.55 KiB) Downloaded 232 times

sheldonisaac

Re: pmount problem - ext4 file systems

#2593 Post by sheldonisaac »

rerwin wrote:sheldonisaac,
Thanks for point this out. The obvious thing to try is the fixed version of guess_fstype. Attached is the version from precise 5.7.1. Could you (and anyone else) try it?
Richard, that's great!!!
pmount now sees it as ext4 !!

THANK YOU1

Sheldon

bigpup

#2594 Post by bigpup »

Lupu3HD 5.2.8.6

In various programs when I select help->contents
I get the internet browser open to this:
file:///usr/share/doc/home.htm

In /usr/share/doc if you click on most of the .htm files
YaPI(any iso installer)

playdayz

#2595 Post by playdayz »

Hey Bigpup, That problem is likely caused in the /usr/share/applications/desktop file that opens the browser or in the /usr/bin/browsername or /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser. The exec entry in those files should have an "argument" after. The argument passes the name of the url where the Help or About is located, otherwise the browser will open the home page. The red is just for emphasis. Iron is just an example.

From /usr/bin/iron
exec /usr/lib/iron-linux/iron --user-data-dir=/root/.config/iron "$@"

from /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser
exec iron "$@"

From /usr/share/applications/iron.desktop
Exec=iron %U

I hope that's it because the other stuff is messier. Look in /root/.gconf/desktop/gnome/urlhandlers/http and make sure the xml file contains /usr/lib/firefox/firefox %s. That should be the case even if Firefox is not installed. Also /usr/lib/firefox/firefox should exist whether or not Firefox is installed. This subterfuge was necessary because other browsers do not install themselves the way gvfs expects. Jemimah's method is more elegant but involves patching and recompiling an important system file, 01micko would know which one.

Historical note: Lupu did not do this correctly until 5.2.8.005. Bigpup made the breakthrough. Slacko does it, but uses a different method developed by jemimah.. pemasu's builds of Precise do it I think, but I am not sure about Barry's.

Conventional install of deb file. By conventional install I meant, click the deb file and PPM will install it. One would still have to manually create the desktop file to get a menu entry, and the defaultbrowser file if one wanted. Personally I always believed that if a program such as Opera offered a Ubuntu deb file and Puppy claimed Ubuntu compatibility, then Puppy should install that deb file "properly," that is, with a menu entry and optionally as the defaultbrowser. Not to mention that the program would run correctly. PPM will install the deb file, but not "properly"--though with some coding it could be done. However, Lucid Lynx is no longer the Ubuntu that developers use for testing, which makes it less likely that any program offering a deb file will work correctly on Lucid. For continued success of Lucid then I would think that people developing, testing and making pet packages would be important as people have often reported that the availability of software is an attraction of Lucid.
Last edited by playdayz on Fri 08 Nov 2013, 22:14, edited 1 time in total.

keniv

#2596 Post by keniv »

Hi All

I have now set up opera 11.50. This includes, bookmarks imported, bookmark toolbar, some user preference changes via opera:config and install urlfilter.ini to .opera. I have installed the following pets.

flashplayer10-10.3.183.23
Xorg_High-1.1-Lucid
Opera-11.50-Lucid
pupradio-0.11
VLC-1.0.6-Lucid
gimp-2.4.5-i386-stripper
shrink-1.1
Python-2.6-Lucid
get_iplayer2.80_4
I also installed calibre by downloading from their web site.
I also had to increase the size of the "test" savefile. At each stage I tested Opera for corruption of dialogue boxes and ability to play flash.
So far I've had none of my previous problems. This leaves me with no idea as to why I had trouble in the fist place. Opera 11.50 does not seem to produce the crash logs.

Regards,

Ken.

bigpup

#2597 Post by bigpup »

playdayz wrote:Look in /root/.gconf/desktop/gnome/urlhandlers/http and make sure the xml file contains /usr/lib/firefox/firefox %s.
Here is content of xml file.

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<gconf>
	<entry name="needs_terminal" mtime="1333142113" type="bool" value="false"/>
	<entry name="enabled" mtime="1333142113" type="bool" value="true"/>
	<entry name="command" mtime="1333142113" type="string">
		<stringvalue>/usr/lib/firefox/firefox %s</stringvalue>
	</entry>
</gconf>
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#2598 Post by bigpup »

From /usr/bin/iron

exec iron "$@"

Exec=iron %U
My default browser is Firefox.

I added the "arguments" to the Firefox files at these locations.

Problem fixed.

None of the files contained the "arguments".
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#2599 Post by bigpup »

keniv,

Remember when I suggested to start over fresh.
With computers you never know. :twisted:
Well, now you know why I suggested that! :D
YaPI(any iso installer)

playdayz

#2600 Post by playdayz »

From /usr/bin/iron
exec iron "$@"
Exec=iron %U
My default browser is Firefox.
I added the "arguments" to the Firefox files at these locations.
Problem fixed.
Non of the arguments were there.
Most excellent. Now, the question is why they were not there.? How did you install Firefox? Could you uninstall and try the Firefox 24 pet from PPM? Quickpet -> More Pets -> Update Lupu PPM to see the Firefox 24 if you can't already. If you are already using that, or any Firefox from PPM, then the answer might be that rerwin is refining the browser install process.

Well, I am not helping much Bigpup, but watching with great interest. I could not resist something we had worked on together before and made a great improvement in 005, that has carried over to most other puppies..