Deleted files reappear in RAM next load

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
Ted Dog

Deleted files reappear in RAM next load

#1 Post by Ted Dog »

The save session multisession code has been so convoluted over the past few years, its become hard to debug.

It was a simple few lines of code originally :wink: Now the only thing I see left of my original stuff was the never meant to be in the resulting code was (unless it has not, which is an error)

Came across an unexpected bug when stress testing unmodified save session code and I wonder if any one else noticed. I did saves of iso files I am downloading throughout the day They got large so I did a savesession and then deleted those 600M of files from RAM. Later the computer was acting slow and seems like my router burped so I shutdown with savesession and rebooted every thing. ON my reboot those large files where loaded into RAM.
Attachments
reloadbug.png
(56.26 KiB) Downloaded 1438 times

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Could the 4 GB barrier somehow be responsible? I confess that I've never tried to save a file larger than a few hundred MB in a session, and that was years ago. Lately I only save on my multisession DVD small stuff such as .pets that I install and find that I like. Anything not directly related to running my multisession Puppy, I save on an external drive.

Ted Dog

#3 Post by Ted Dog »

no only 5 to 600 meg. I think the .wh_ files are not being respected on reload, Or files deleted in RW mode do not generate a .wh_ file due to auf layering changes. I cut and pasted code to be able to see the growisofs warnings which are not produced on the 2> error trapping log file. And see that the ,wh_ files are being burned to disc.

partsman

#4 Post by partsman »

Hi Ted Dog
just wondering what puppy version this happend to you on ?
I have several m/s dvds and i like m/s puppy just thought i might try to duplicate the problem :D I personaly love to use m/s dvd method i think it is wonderful for beginers as well as long time puppy users who dont have a hard drive or are limited on space etc. thanks for sharing
[color=red]Anyone can build a fast processor. The trick is to build a fast system. (Seymour Cray)[/color] :wink:

partsman

#5 Post by partsman »

@ Ted Dog
I too have had this problem ! what I found was that if you save with button on the desktop the files will reappear ! But if you shutdown then save when prompted the files will be deleted :wink:
[color=red]Anyone can build a fast processor. The trick is to build a fast system. (Seymour Cray)[/color] :wink:

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

Or files deleted in RW mode do not generate a .wh_ file
If you add a file and then delete it in a session, no .wh._ file will be generated as it has simply been removed as far as the union is concerned. (there is nothing underneath to hide in other words)
So there would not be a whiteout file to save at shutdown.
I suppose the shutdown script should check previous sessions before saving but that would cumbersome (you may have made several session saves for example)... its really just a limitation of the system as it is.

Actually the older unionfs had the opposite behaviour...it would have generated a whiteout in this case but also copied any file that was looked at into the read write layer so tended to build up lots of unecessary whiteouts and duplicate files.

The multisession scripts have changed little...just the layering system behaves slightly differently.

Snapmerge has a similar quirk... edit a core file then delete it... the original returns after boot... (or something very similar)

mike

Ted Dog

#7 Post by Ted Dog »

This whiteout bug is tricky, may have found the cause in fatdogs64 rewritten version. But have not looked if the same IF then ELSE logic code fragment exists in 32bit world but it may have the same effect.
Could you direct me into which ever version you found the bug.