Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 23 Oct 2014, 02:53
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Engineering/Science/Simulation
Edit on:Any interest in a Kicad pet?
Page 1 of 3 [38 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Moose On The Loose

PostPosted: Tue 05 Nov 2013, 22:33    Post subject:  Edit on:Any interest in a Kicad pet?
Subject description: Am am about to compile and want to know if I can be helpful to others

I have made Kicad work correctly on Puppy Linux in the past. It required that I edit some of the source code to fix errors and not try to do the bleeding edge version.

Kicad is a very nice electronics cad package. I does everything you need to make designs ready for manufacture. It connects nicely to ngspice for modeling.

Unfortunately, the developers seem to think that all Linuxes have the unbuntu stuff in them and they don't make a *.tar.gz of the source available for download. I am currently running the 2011 version. I am working to get the 2012 version to compile.

Edit:
SFS
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B63vE6V2gS-Qclk4RndGOU5icG8/edit?usp=sharing

ngspice pet
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B63vE6V2gS-QVGFkdjFDMTJhcEU/edit?usp=sharing

kicad pet
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B63vE6V2gS-QN0lTWV9CLTJDajg/edit?usp=sharing

It is still early going yet but they do now work. On the SFS you have to do an ldconfig. Perhaps next version will do that for you.

Last edited by Moose On The Loose on Sat 16 Nov 2013, 19:13; edited 2 times in total
saintless

PostPosted: Wed 06 Nov 2013, 04:01    Post subject:  

Hi and thank you!
I,m one of the people who will use Kicad puppy package.
I think the debian packages can be used for KDPup-484 but not for the rest of puppies.

Cheers, Toni

Moose On The Loose

PostPosted: Wed 06 Nov 2013, 11:56    Post subject:  

saintless wrote:
Hi and thank you!
I,m one of the people who will use Kicad puppy package.
I think the debian packages can be used for KDPup-484 but not for the rest of puppies.

Cheers, Toni

I am compiling on Puppy 528 I may break it into 2 pets
1) Kicad just the basics
2) Kicad all the extras

I may make it 3 to make the documentation and examples independent of the extra libraries. I plan on making my first try at it tonight. Wish me luck Smile.
starhawk

PostPosted: Wed 06 Nov 2013, 12:01    Post subject:  

I'll find it useful as well -- if I ever stop talking about going from Win7 to Puppy and actually do it Wink Embarassed
saintless

PostPosted: Wed 06 Nov 2013, 12:18    Post subject:  

Moose On The Loose wrote:
I am compiling on Puppy 528 I may break it into 2 pets
1) Kicad just the basics
2) Kicad all the extras

I may make it 3 to make the documentation and examples independent of the extra libraries. I plan on making my first try at it tonight. Wish me luck Smile.

Thank you and good luck then! I'm sure many people will find these packages useful.
Cheers, Toni
sunburnt

PostPosted: Wed 06 Nov 2013, 15:27    Post subject:  

# Suggestion: In addition to Pets. make an all-in-one ( both Pets ) SFS file too.

I don`t know how big Kicad is, but Pet packages take up Save file space.
So it`s really quite a service to Puppy users for app. builders to make SFS files also.

Good luck with your project Moose On The Loose. Need help.? Just yell, we`re here...
Moose On The Loose

PostPosted: Wed 06 Nov 2013, 23:28    Post subject:  

sunburnt wrote:
# Suggestion: In addition to Pets. make an all-in-one ( both Pets ) SFS file too.

So it`s really quite a service to Puppy users for app. builders to make SFS files also.

Good luck with your project Moose On The Loose. Need help.? Just yell, we`re here...

I think this may work, with a few problems:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B63vE6V2gS-QN0lTWV9CLTJDajg/edit?usp=sharing

Problems:
1) Holy smoke is it big I may roll an SFS of it too

2) There are some debug messages that pop up. It works ok if you click the "continue" for about all 10 messages

3) There appears to be a missing file.

.... Please add more problems here .....[/url]
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Wed 06 Nov 2013, 23:54    Post subject:  

Please do, and let us know source would like to compile on ARM
Moose On The Loose

PostPosted: Thu 07 Nov 2013, 10:46    Post subject:  

Ted Dog wrote:
Please do, and let us know source would like to compile on ARM

I'll give it to you complete with the finished compile and my few changes. This doesn't have the libraries in it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B63vE6V2gS-QbXBQVVlGbVR6RWs/edit?usp=sharing

You will need the wxWidgets sources to make the compile work. I didn't need to make any changes to them and they ar easy to find with the googles.

You can pet2tgz the pet and get the libraries I put into the pet.

If you make changes, please share them back. Tonight, I may do a little work on getting one of the debug messages gone.

I am also compiling ngspice. I have it working with the net list out of Kicad. There are a few bugs that I may deal with by making a script that takes in the netlist and modifies it. The one that gets me the most is:

When you enable the XSpice S_XFER models, you can't use "pi" as the number pi in the model. You have to type 3.14159.....

I may bother to go find the bit of code involved in parsing that and fix that too but I expect a script with a bit of a gui to fire off the program in a terminal will be needed.
Moose On The Loose

PostPosted: Sun 10 Nov 2013, 20:36    Post subject:  

sunburnt wrote:

Here's the SFS as you requested

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B63vE6V2gS-QNWdxZWdPYTNOYnc/edit?usp=sharing

after you load it, do a ldconfig command. I left that out
saintless

PostPosted: Thu 14 Nov 2013, 11:01    Post subject:  

Tested with lupu-528. I confirm message for missing file pga_socets.mod
Starting Kicad from terminal gives this output:
Code:
sh-4.1# kicad
02:34:08 PM: Debug: Failed to connect to session manager: SESSION_MANAGER environment variable not defined
02:34:09 PM: Debug: Loading KiCad project file: /root/noname.pro

(kicad:20172): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to retrieve the file info for `file:///root/noname.pro': Error stating file '/root/nonash-4.1# kicad
02:34:08 PM: Debug: Failed to connect to session manager: SESSION_MANAGER environment variable not defined

(kicad:20172): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to retrieve the file info for `file:///root/noname.pro': Error stating file  '/root/noname.pro': No such file or directory

pcb_calculator gives the error from the picture:

Cheers, Toni

Moose On The Loose

PostPosted: Thu 14 Nov 2013, 23:40    Post subject:  

saintless wrote:
Tested with lupu-528. I confirm message for missing file pga_socets.mod

I'll have to track that down. It appears to be just a missing file from what I downloaded. It works without it.

Quote:

Starting Kicad from terminal gives this output:
Code:
sh-4.1# kicad

I haven't been able to figure out what the "SESSION_MANAGER" is or even why you would want it. If you don't see any reason for whatever it is, I think I will just track down that bit of code and disable it.

Quote:

Code:

I can fix that by adding a file for noname.pro
Kicad wants to start where you left off and seems not to believe in the idea that it may not be continuing.

Quote:

Code:

(kicad:20172): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to retrieve the file info for `file:///root/noname.pro': Error stating file '/root/nonash-4.1# kicad

(kicad:20172): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to retrieve the file info for `file:///root/noname.pro': Error stating file  '/root/noname.pro': No such file or directory

Those are the same issue as above. Are you using the SFS or the pet?
This weekend, I will try to find a way to make that all go away

Quote:

pcb_calculator gives the error from the picture:

Yes, I see that one and a few like it They seem to be warnings we can get past but I will look into it. For now hit continue and it seems to work.

Quote:
Cheers, Toni
saintless

PostPosted: Fri 15 Nov 2013, 04:42    Post subject:  

Thanks, Moose On The Loose Smile

I use the pet package. Kicad seems to work well so the errors I posted are only for information. Even in this form the package is good add-on for puppy users.

Cheers, Toni

Moose On The Loose

PostPosted: Fri 15 Nov 2013, 11:37    Post subject:  

saintless wrote:
Thanks, Moose On The Loose Smile

I use the pet package. Kicad seems to work well so the errors I posted are only for information. Even in this form the package is good add-on for puppy users.

Cheers, Toni

Have you tried the ngspice?

It s compiled with full XSpice ability. You can do a transfer function in laplace form. There is a bunch of stuff for me to learn about its full mixed mode. It does the guts of a logic section as an event based system so that it can go very fast even while doing an FPGA with Rs and Cs and JFETs and etc around it.

So far, I have been making Kicad spit out the net list then doing the spice from a terminal. I hope to make this built in too.
saintless

PostPosted: Fri 15 Nov 2013, 11:45    Post subject:  

Moose On The Loose wrote:
Have you tried the ngspice?

It s compiled with full XSpice ability. You can do a transfer function in laplace form. There is a bunch of stuff for me to learn about its full mixed mode. It does the guts of a logic section as an event based system so that it can go very fast even while doing an FPGA with Rs and Cs and JFETs and etc around it.

So far, I have been making Kicad spit out the net list then doing the spice from a terminal. I hope to make this built in too.

Havent tested proper yet. I will do it in the next few days. This version has more options. Debian Squeezy has ver 2007-2010 (as far as I remeber) but this is newer one.

Cheers, Toni
Page 1 of 3 [38 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Engineering/Science/Simulation
Jump to: