GRUB Legacy install fails

Booting, installing, newbie
PaleWriter

GRUB Legacy install fails

#1 Post by PaleWriter »

Jello

Trying numerous attempts to reinstall Linux on older laptop, dual-booting w/ XP. Used to work, updating linux partition clobbered it; finally resorted to reformat of linux ptn to try complete reinstall of pup. Fairly straight HD setup: WinXP on P1; FAT32 on P2, started out as restoration ptn, degenerated to just catch-all accessible from Win or Linux; Ext4 on P3 for linux; Swap on P4.

Tried linux reinst 1st from thumbdrive, but things from that boot didn't seem to be working: NONE of the calculators worked when I needed ONE; install to HD SEEMED to work but the GRUB installer wouldn't work, so I tried anew from CD, starting w/ reformat of P3.

Just like from thumb drive, puppy install looked like it worked but when I tried to run the GRUB installer wizard NONE of its menu options would actually DO anything: not the header creator, not the linux boot option, not the Win boot option, not the View Config So Far, not NOTHING, and most importantly, there is NOTHING IN THE /boot/grub/ directory to show for the effort.

Attempted bootup from the HD then yields just THIS:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GRUB Loading Stage1.5.

GRUB loading, please wait...
Error 15

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Few attempts to interrupt bootup and grab GRUB manually have been unsuccessful (by repeatedly hitting keys at POST)

So now I've managed to clobber my MBR, it seems, so that it won't boot ANYTHING without a CD or thumbdrive, so this is a FINE MONDAY MORNING SO FAR!!!!!!

Anyone recognize anything here?

Thanx

pw

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

Exactly how are you doing the install of Puppy?
Frugal or full install?

Are you trying to install Grub while still running Puppy from the CD or USB?

I use Grub4dos bootloader config to install a boot loader. For me it seems to work better.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

Very small chance ext 4 format could be causing issues. You could try ext 3 format.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

PaleWriter

#4 Post by PaleWriter »

Well, in my endeavor to include any information that might have been pertinent, I did mention the FULL install (in original Subject Description); the timing of the attempted GRUB install might have been evident by the fact that it preceded the "subsequent reboot from HD," but that's admittedly not overmuch overt. Clearly stated or not, the simple fact is that in both cases (USB/thumb drive & CD installs) there was nothing but the GRUB Error 15 upon subsequent HD bootup.

Perhaps there's something to the Ext4 thing, but it seems an odd suspect for the symptoms I've observed.

Fact is, I found a FEW GRUB files that I had saved some time ago on the FAT partion #2, those being STAGE1, STAGE2 and an outdated MENU.LST. So I copied them to /boot/grub/ and added a TITLE entry for my Windoze boot option. That actually got the bootup PAST the ??can't find file?? Err15. So that made it look like I may have gotten enough of an install to the HD for Pup to thrive --

So I pulled out the Rescatux Super Grub Disk and used it to successfully "restore" my GRUB to something that actually WORKS now - by first running the Win/MBR restoration and then the addition of the puppy option to FINALLY have my dual-booting BACK IN OPERATION!!!!

As for the GRUB4DOS --- I've always ASSumed that to be inappropriate for a WinDoze booter; I wasn't ever trying to boot DOS in this case, but perhaps next time something like this arises I'll think to give the DOS version a try. After all, it's not like DOS is unfamiliar to me -- my first programming predated DOS by about a decade.

At any rate, I am grateful for your taking the time to help - I just happened to luck out with it before I found your reply.

Carry on - //

oh yeah - perhaps I should check to see if any of the calc utils work now from the HD bootup. Different topic, though, actually.

Very much relieved,

pw

mikeb

#5 Post by mikeb »

As for the GRUB4DOS --- I've always ASSumed that to be inappropriate for a WinDoze booter; I wasn't ever trying to boot DOS in this case, but perhaps next time something like this arises I'll think to give the DOS version a try. After all, it's not like DOS is unfamiliar to me -- my first programming predated DOS by about a decade.
Bit of a misnomer from when it was originally targeted at being able to boot via the likes of windows 98 bootloader.

It actually performs all the grub 1 functions plus some and it can exist on windows and posix files systems and optical media. It can boot anything I have thrown at it so forget the DOS and see it as a general purpose all system versatile bootloader. It can be chainloaded from the windows 98/XP/7 boot loader or have its own MBR.

mike

PaleWriter

#6 Post by PaleWriter »

Following up on: 1) the original "GRUBCONFIG" failing to do ANYTHING, and 2) ALL of the clackulators failing when I needed one (from LIVE boot) -- that is, now that I'm installed to HD and successfully booting up either PUP OR WXP --

Re: 1) - although I didn't wish to risk clobbering my currently working GRUB, I thought I'd at least try the option to VIEW the GRUB config. Still NO sign of any sentient life inside GRUBCONFIG. NONE of the "menu" options actually seem to be doing ANYTHING...

Re: 2) Calculators miraculously WORKING now - laptop must have gotten all rested up. Of course, right now I'm not NEEDING any, but I'll sleep better at night just REALIZING that I have TOOLS!!!

So THANK YOU for nudging me along in a progressive direction -- I was about to start talking to myself (again).

Pale and getting Paler

Oh - and thanks to MikeB for the nomination to add G4D to my bag-o-trix!

rcrsn51

#7 Post by rcrsn51 »

The old Grub Legacy Bootloader Config is broken in Wary 5.5. In newer Puppies, it has been replaced with Legacy GRUB Config 2013.