HPlip in Lupu_526?

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
Old Codger

HPlip in Lupu_526?

#1 Post by Old Codger »

This is really two questions rolled into one.

I would like to install HPlip => 3.11.10 to support an HP 5510e all-in-one. Search as I may, there is no reference to it in QuickPets or PPM. There is the option of downloading either the automatic or manual package from HP site but can find no way of checking whether dependencies are satisfied or available (and, anyway, Puppy is not listed as supported)? I've searched this site and googled but can find nothing that offers sufficient (or any) guidance.

The corollary to this dilemma is how to effectively use PPM (QuickPets is less problematical and will succeed where PPM does not - perhaps because PPM needs regular reloading?) Most distros use Synaptic (sometimes supplemented by a more user-friendly manager equivalent to QuickPets) which lists all available packages, libraries and depends - and won't install anything unless all dependencies are available. To be fair, I haven't had any difficulties 'til now and even if HPlip/HPlipLite were located there is still the paradox that dependencies can only be checked retrospectively. According to PH101 -

"Once you know what dependencies are missing you can go searching for them"

- but where since PPM only list "meta" packages?

On a similar note, I also need to install the driver for a Brother DCP115C which is normally straightforward using the their installer - which downloads and installs the specified drivers - but it requires csh/tcsh (bash isn't enough).

[PS Using Puppy 526_Lupu with the Puppy-lucid-official repo checked]

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Your best source for information about installing printers in Puppy is here.

It is two posts above this thread.

Immediately underneath your post is a thread about Brother printers that addresses the csh issue.

Old Codger

#3 Post by Old Codger »

For the Brother, all I need to know is how to get hold of tcsh - which is related to second question about libs etc in PPM or any other method (but perhaps it is buried somewhere in the 9 pages of that thread).

The main issue is with HPLip (or HPLipLie).

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

Old Codger wrote:For the Brother, all I need to know is how to get hold of tcsh
A quick forum search got me this.

Old Codger

#5 Post by Old Codger »

Thanks - tcsh now installed. Unfortunately my simplistic approach of using linux-brprinter-installer-1.0.4-1 failed - presumably because Puppy is so esoteric (compared to other distros where it has always been successful)! In fact dpkg didn't understand the switches thrown at it nor do the target folders exist. At least it pulled down the two required deb packages.

Clearly I need to study http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=42533

Still need pointing in the right direction to get hplip/hpliplite...

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

Old Codger wrote:Clearly I need to study http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=42533
According to Brother, your DCP-115C should be installed as an MFC-210C. At the end of the main post is a ready-made PET for this model.
Still need pointing in the right direction to get hplip/hpliplite...
You already have it. The How to Install Your Printer/Scanner in Puppy has a link to a ready-made PET for the HPLIP package.