USB Boot Failing to find lupu_528.sfs

Using applications, configuring, problems
rumex

USB Boot Failing to find lupu_528.sfs

#1 Post by rumex »

A usbstick which boots on an Acer 5535 (USB 2.0) is dropping out in the init script during ramdisk part of boot on a new HP ProBook 455. The BIOS is running the USB mbr, which gives me the boot menu. When I start lupu_528 booting, when it tries to load the lupu_528.sfs file, it fails and drops to an ash prompt. The hard disk on the machine can be seen, but the USB cannot.
dmesg is reporting
usb 1-1 new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
usb 1-1 device not accepting address 3, error -110.

I am wondering if I am missing a device driver or whether the HP BIOS is blocking me. The UEFI boot option for the laptop is switched off.

not sure if its relevant, but pmedia=usbflash and pfix=ram.

Any suggestions?

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

This computer is too new for Lupu 528.
It most likely does not have a new enough Linux kernel to support the hardware.

You could try Three-headed dog 528.
It is a version of Lupu 528 with a newer Linux kernel.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70736

There is a newer version of Lupu3hd 5.2.8.6 being tested for release, that may also work for you.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/qny5t ... 131012.iso

UEFI secure boot could be an issue, but you say UEFI is turned off.
Turning off secure boot has helped others with boot issues.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

rumex

#3 Post by rumex »

Thanks, That sorted the USB.

Wireless:

I am now trying to sort out a driver for the wireless card:
03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Ralink corp. Device [1814:3290]

I think its otherwise known as a Ralink RT3290 wireless card.
Is there a driver for this in three headed dog?
Thanks

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

the driver for that may be listed as RT2070, 3070 or 3370..perhaps more but usually compatible. I built the STA driver from Ralink but there is probably one on the forum....just to help know what to look out for.
The wizard should be ok with 'usb' type driver (thats how the sta driver appears to it) in there but earlier wizards did not...might be a problem if a driver is loaded..

mike

rumex

Solved: USB Boot Failing to find lupu_528.sfs

#5 Post by rumex »

Solved: in the extlinux.conf I had to add pmedia=usbflash to delay the reading of the USB until it had settled.
append initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash pfix=copy
Thanks for the suggestion it led me on the right path.

I ended up with lupu528 which works with the USB 2 ports. The wifi worked once I managed to compile the Ralink RT3290 driver. The kernel source for 2.6.33.2 refused to mount on lupu until I rebuilt the squashfs under a different linux. Has anyone else had this issue?

Ted Dog

#6 Post by Ted Dog »

I have found usb3 ports are generally unpowered to successfully boot from, if your newer hardware comes with both usb2 and usb3 try using usb2 ports.

mikeb

#7 Post by mikeb »

The kernel source for 2.6.33.2 refused to mount on lupu until I rebuilt the squashfs under a different linux. Has anyone else had this issue?
Hmm have a happy original copy here BUT there have been reports of problems with ibiblio hosts so you may have had a corrupted download. Cannot think of any other reason why it would not work. I have a 8.5 MB headers only copy for driver building too.

mike

rumex

#8 Post by rumex »

Thanks. I checked the ibiblio md5 against the ibiblio sfs and both checked out ok. To recreate the headers I mounted the sfs on Ubuntu and used mksquashfs on the mount point directly. The output was a v4 squashfs like the original. That version was mounted by lupu528 without complaint.

Following the observation about unpowered usb3 ports. Can you give me any pointers to understand how to get their status and activate them?

mikeb

#9 Post by mikeb »

I wonder if the sources were made with xz compression ...ie with one of the new lucid releases.

Perhaps it needs a mention in the lupu update thread.

mike