Desktop icons not displaying correctly

Booting, installing, newbie
Old Codger

Desktop icons not displaying correctly

#1 Post by Old Codger »

Once again Puppy came to my rescue when hdd was threatening imminent failure and overheating my laptop. The latter was causing the machine to pre-emptively power off (for self protection).

During rescue (data salvaging) session the machine powered off. Since then all the desktop app icons have reverted to a common generic one. How can I restore normality?

[Tried alternative icon set with Desktop Icon Switcher but no joy].

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

What version of Puppy?
How are you running Puppy? Be specific.

Try this:
Find this file
/root/choices/rox-filer/PuppyPin
right click and open as text
Should be info for desktop icons.
If does not look Ok could replace with same file from Puppy live CD.

Try this to replace file:
Find this file
/root/choices/rox-filer/PuppyPin
You will see file PuppyPin and PuppyPin.bak
Delete PuppyPin
Rename PuppyPin.bak to PuppyPin
Reboot computer.

May have to replace PuppyPin with same file from Puppy live CD or the Puppy iso. File will be in the Puppy.sfs.
During rescue (data salvaging) session the machine powered off
when this happened, If you were running Puppy, using a save file, there is a chance the save file got corrupted.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Old Codger

#3 Post by Old Codger »

You're right - I should have indicated that this is Lupu-526 on usb.

Anyway, tried your suggestions without success. However, in the process had a look at PuppyPin (and globicons) but could detect no errors there. The icons pointed to at /usr/local/apps/ display ok and that folder seems intact.

So looked at /usr/local/bin/ and /usr/sbin/ (why does linux like to put similar things in multiple locations?!). Comparing these between my corrupt version and a fresh usb install and there are slight differences. (in the some of the displayed generic icons). In particular, in the fresh version some icons (eg PupApps, PupClockSet etc) show as "yellow triangle with exclamation mark" but in the corrupt version show as "black square on a white square" but the symbolic links are the same.

It seems odd that in all other respects this corrupt version is working fine and should perhaps add that all icons display correctly in the menus.

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

in the fresh version some icons (eg PupApps, PupClockSet etc) show as "yellow triangle with exclamation mark"
They should all look normal with a fresh install.
Sure it is not using the corrupted save file?
Boot using the option puppy pfix=ram to make sure no save file gets used.
YaPI(any iso installer)

Old Codger

#5 Post by Old Codger »

I'm perhaps not being very clear here. By fresh install I mean Puppy being installed to a separate usb stick so that I could copy PuppyPin (and globicons) to the corrupt version. The result was for the corrupt version to display a fresh desktop - but still missing the correct icons.

The rest of my previous post was describing any observed differences on each usb between /usr/local/bin/ and /usr/sbin/ where it seems the missing icons ought to reside (according to the paths in PuppyPin and globicons).

Maybe I should try replacing those two folders from the fresh usb to the corrupt usb?

bigpup

#6 Post by bigpup »

Maybe I should try replacing those two folders from the fresh usb to the corrupt usb?
The problem with a corrupted save file is you will never know for sure what is wrong with it.
You can try stuff, but the only 100% cure is to delete and make a new save file.

The other Puppy files, on the bad USB, could also be corrupted.

Most people, after getting it all setup the way they want it, make a backup copy of the save file.
Just put .bak at the end of name so Puppy does not use it.
Easy fix, just replace with the backup save file, changing its name by removing the .bak.

I think I once heard something about computer backups being a good idea. :) 8) :wink:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Old Codger

#7 Post by Old Codger »

BackupsRme - normally!

In the case of Puppy, it was not (and still is not) clear to me which file(s) would represent a useful backup. Furthermore, I'm not sure that backing up the "sav" file would have been effective since surely the original desktop icons are built in to Puppy itself?

Anyway, some time ago I attempted what was hoped to be a clone onto another usb but failed (can't remember which of the options I decided was the most suitable). Furthermore, there is no personal data involved but simply hoped to avoid having to recreate from scratch the personalized configuration and install of additional apps,

Ideally, when this new usb install is set up to my liking, I would like to create an iso (ie remaster) onto a hdd....

bigpup

#8 Post by bigpup »

A USB flash drive install of Puppy is a frugal install.
A frugal install uses a save file to store any configuration changes, settings, added programs, anything that is different from the basic Puppy you see at initial first boot.
When Puppy boots, the original Puppy operating system files load into memory and stay read only. Then the save file is layered on top of them, adding the changes and data in the save file. The save file is read/write.
When this happens the data in the save file changes the data in memory. It could modify any of the original Puppy files in memory.

The save file is what needs to be backed up if you want to keep the changes you have made from possibly being lost.

The original Puppy files never change, only the data in the save file changes.
YaPI(any iso installer)

Old Codger

#9 Post by Old Codger »

Thanks for your patience bigpup.

From what you say all changes and additions are contained within the save files though I'm still puzzled why it is only the desktop icons are the only apparent affects of the crash and would have thought they formed part of the basic Puppy install.

Just as a matter of interest, it would seem that this Lupu_526 is on top of Lighthouse_503 - presumably because I forgot to re-format - which may explain some observed differences between this and a fresh install. It's therefore a mongrel so to speak!

Anyway, I've decided that it's quicker to start again than try further to salvage this one even though in all other respects it still functions perfectly and there is no loss of personal data involved!

bigpup

#10 Post by bigpup »

Just as a matter of interest, it would seem that this Lupu_526 is on top of Lighthouse_503 - presumably because I forgot to re-format - which may explain some observed differences between this and a fresh install.
Could very well be the answer to what is causing these problems.
With computers anything is possible and they usually prove it in strange ways.
Starting over fresh is always good.

Do not rule out the possibility that the data storage device could have physical problems. They do go bad and usually only in specific part of the drive.
YaPI(any iso installer)