Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
OscarTalks

#2561 Post by OscarTalks »

If running Opera in Lucid please keep an eye out for accumulating crash report text files (which are quite large and fill up your save-file) in /root/.opera/logs

Don't know why these crop up in Lucid but not other Puppies, or why they get created when Opera is not actually crashing
Oscar in England

rerwin

Frisbee Kit already part of lupu 5.2.8.6

#2562 Post by rerwin »

Regarding adding Frisbee to Lucid Pup 5.2.8.6: Please do not do that! The same version of frisbee that is in woof and precise pup is already part of lupu. Actually, the entire "frisbee kit" is part of 5.2.8.6 except that lupu has a newer version of gtkdialog (which you should not replace).

Regarding updates to packages attached previously: I have updated 2 packages that will be in the next upload of lupu.The changes are explained at those links, as "UPDATE 11/3/2013".

playdayz

#2563 Post by playdayz »

If running Opera in Lucid please keep an eye out for accumulating crash report text files (which are quite large and fill up your save-file) in /root/.opera/logs
OscarTalks, Yes. That's bad. It seems that 11.62 does not do it so I have removed the Opera 12 pets from the repo unless someone can figure it out. That's my only job now, trying to maintain the browsers ;-)
I have run the newer Super Lupu on my old Gigabyte board PC
8 years old.....but when I ran the Iron browser pet I lost the bottom icons RHS bottom screen for network and firewall
cthisbear. The 3.x kernel versions were experiments that never were released, though at least one was posted for anyone interested. The latest Chromium variants won't run in Lucid, but I don't remember a problem with the old Iron in the 2x kernels. I will test the Iron pet in both of the 3x kernels and see what I find. I would also like to find out what was the last Chromium variant version that will run.

Iron 18 seems OK in Lucid 5.2.8 005
It also seems OK with the 3.2.13 kernel in "SuperLuci 005" Firewall and network icons OK in systray.
It also seems OK with the 3.0.25 kernel in sulu-001.

I am testing on a Phenom 2850, 3 years old or so. Do you have the problem on a more recent machine? When did you lose the icons? The Iron 18 pet below is the one I was using. Were you using the Iron 15 listed in PPM and Quickpet (though there shouldn't be any significant differences)?

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Iron-18-Lucid.pet

Both of the original 3.x kernel versions are available for comparison.

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/sulu-001.iso
http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/superluci-005.iso

keniv

#2564 Post by keniv »

keniv and everyone else testing Opera-12-pet. The/A problem is with the pet, as James C suggested. My fault. I guess I was rusty. This is running correctly for me in 5.2.8.005 and 3HD-005.

For testing please -> http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Opera-12.16-Lucid.pet
OscarTalks, Yes. That's bad. It seems that 11.62 does not do it so I have removed the Opera 12 pets from the repo unless someone can figure it out. That's my only job now, trying to maintain the browsers

From the above I assume its best to leave 12.16 for now.
I have been using opera-12.11-1661.i386.opt.sfs. I have not checked for crash report text files but will do this and report back. However, I cannot get flashplayer to work. I have it working in the origional 528 in Opera 11.50 using 10.3.183.23. I tried this as well as 10.3.183.29, 10.3.183.90 plus a version of 11 but none worked. If anybody has flash working can you tell me which flash pet you are using.

Regards,

Ken.

Edit. Have just checked root/.opera/logs. I have 124 crash report text files taking up a total of 22MB. This is over a short period of use. So it looks for the moment that there is not a usable version of Opera that will work in 5286.

futwerk

#2565 Post by futwerk »

new backgrounds.
Attachments
lucidja8,1z.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/?x4v77bi1p58ox
(9.89 KiB) Downloaded 374 times
lucidja8,1x.jpg
(9.35 KiB) Downloaded 363 times
lucidja8,1.jpg
(11.09 KiB) Downloaded 386 times

playdayz

#2566 Post by playdayz »

From the above I assume its best to leave 12.16 for now.
Good decision I would say keniv. I found that Google has ceased supporting Chrome for Ubnuntu 10.04 (upon which Lucid is based).

musher0

#2567 Post by musher0 »

Sorry to burst the bubble, guys:

no need for a pet. This is a ubuntu-compatible Puppy, remember? :)
The user can download and install opera 12.16 directly to /mnt/home with
a link to it in /usr/bin.

Download from here:
http://get.geo.opera.com/pub/opera/linu ... 0_i386.deb

Put something like this in /usr/bin and make it executable:

Code: Select all

#/bin/sh
# /usr/bin/opera(.sh)
####
cd /mnt/home/opera-12.16-1860.i386.linux
opera
and use a desktop file like this:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Version=1.0
Name=Opera
# @@{_SUFFIX}
GenericName=Web Browser with E-mail Client
GenericName[fr]=Navigateur web avec client de courriel
Comment=Fast and secure web browser and Internet suite
Comment[fr]=Progiciel Internet avec navigateur web rapide et sûr
Icon=/mnt/sda2/opera-12.16-1860.i386.linux/share/icons/hicolor/24x24/apps/opera-browser.png
# /usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/opera-browser.png
# opera@@{SUFFIX}-browser
TryExec=/mnt/home/opera-12.16-1860.i386.linux/opera
# @@{PREFIX}/bin/opera@@{SUFFIX}
Exec=/mnt/home/opera-12.16-1860.i386.linux/opera
# @@{PREFIX}/bin/opera@@{SUFFIX} %U
Terminal=false
MimeType=text/html;text/xml;application/xhtml+xml;text/vnd.wap.wml;text/wml;application/x-mimearchive;application/mime;application/xml;application/rss+xml;application/rdf+xml;image/svg+xml;application/x-opera-extension;x-scheme-handler/http;x-scheme-handler/https;x-scheme-handler/ftp;x-scheme-handler/mailto;video/ogg;audio/ogg;video/webm;image/webp;
Categories=WebBrowser;
StartupNotify=true
Encoding=UTF-8
I've been using the 12.16 for months without any problems.

Best regards. BFN.

musher0
Last edited by musher0 on Wed 06 Nov 2013, 02:01, edited 1 time in total.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

playdayz

#2568 Post by playdayz »

muhser0. That is the way it is supposed to work., as you describe.. Except for having to create the text files and mount the deb into /mnt/home, which some people prefer not to do. I installed the deb file conventionally and like OscarTalks I got a steadily increasing /root/.opera/logs directory; in my case it increased about 350K every time I opened and closed Opera. I was opening it in a terminal with the command opera and closing with the top-right corner X

sheldonisaac

Opera crash logs

#2569 Post by sheldonisaac »

playdayz wrote:muhser0. That is the way it is supposed to work., as you describe.. Except for having to create the text files and mount the deb into /mnt/home, which some people prefer not to do. I installed the deb file conventionally and like OscarTalks I got a steadily increasing /root/.opera/logs directory; in my case it increased about 350K every time I opened and closed Opera. I was opening it in a terminal with the command opera and closing with the top-right corner X
musher0, playdayz, and other experts:
I think this creation of Opera crash logs in Lucid Puppy has been going on for a long time, partly because it's been mentioned on this forum several times.

It was said by someone that no actual malfunction of Opera was observed, and he thought to simply delete those files.

I've been using the Opera .sfs , loaded when Puppy starts.

I just made a runopera.sh in /usr/bin:

#!/bin/sh
/opt/opera/bin/opera &&
rm /root/.opera/logs/*
Seems to work OK.

What does it mean
OPERA-CRASHLOG V1 desktop 12.16 1860 unix Linux-i386
/opt/opera/lib/opera/pluginwrapper/operapluginwrapper-native got signal SIGSEGV at address B6D15A8E
I believe people have asked questions about it on Opera forums?

I haven't yet tried musher0's approach; I have never installed from Debian, being an ordinary user who only knows about clicking on .pet files.
What does it mean to "install the deb file conventionally"?

Thanks,
Sheldon

EDIT:
Here's a hit from Googling for "operapluginwrapper-native got signal SIGSEGV at address"

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/20 ... artidx=100
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

musher0

#2570 Post by musher0 »

Hello, SheldonIsaac.

Thanks for the handy "vacuum cleaner" script! :)

I'll let playdayz explain what he means by "conventially installing".

As for me, this is how I do it:

* I download the opera *.deb archive (from URL mentioned above) to
_ /mnt/home

* I unpack it with pupzip (aka xarchive)
_ You should now have an opera folder with the version number and
_ another number in the name of the folder, all in one go, without spaces.

* I enter this folder

* I make the executable files opera and install executable!

> Now, if you click on the "install" file, it will integrate opera with
_ your Puppy system, at /usr/lib/opera and /usr/share/opera, etc.
_ and it will create the personal opera files at /root/.opera

> If you simply click on "opera", opera will not integrate in the Puppy.
_ It will use the files where they are, at /mnt/home/opera-tralala-tralala
_ Instead of creating /root/.opera, it will create a personal profile folder
_ at /mnt/home/opera-tralala-tralala/profile. The size of your personal
_ pupsave file will not be affected, even with the log files piling up.

> You'll still want to use your "vacuum cleaner" script on those log
_ files, but given they are located outside your pupsave file, they'll
_ only slow down the launch of your opera, not eat up any of your
_ Puppy space.

So, click on that "opera" file! Not on "install"!

Other benefits:
* you can use the same opera version and profile with other Puppies. You
_ configure your opera browser once, and that's it.

* you can copy your previous configuration files for opera (*.dat, *.ini
_ and *.adr) in your profile folder. (Careful here: config files for last and
_ before-last versions are usually ok.) This can save you perhaps an hour
_ every time a new opera version is published.

If the above is not clear, get back to me. (Or even at me!) :D

Bye for now.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

keniv

#2571 Post by keniv »

and mount the deb into /mnt/home, which some people prefer not to do.
I take it that some consider this a bad idea. Could somebody please explain why.

After getting another 30 crash reports I have decided to use sheldonisaacs solution and delete them at startup. This seems the only way to get a version of Opera to work with 5286 right now.

Sheldonisaac and musherO

Do either of you have flashplayer working? If so can you tell me how its done. Also I have searched for an sfs version of 12.16 but have not found one. If you know were to get this could you point me in the right direction.

Regards,

Ken.

sheldonisaac

opera stuff

#2572 Post by sheldonisaac »

keniv wrote:
and mount the deb into /mnt/home, which some people prefer not to do.
I take it that some consider this a bad idea. Could somebody please explain why.

After getting another 30 crash reports I have decided to use sheldonisaacs solution and delete them at startup. This seems the only way to get a version of Opera to work with 5286 right now.

Sheldonisaac and musherO

Do either of you have flashplayer working? If so can you tell me how its done. Also I have searched for an sfs version of 12.16 but have not found one. If you know were to get this could you point me in the right direction.

Regards,

Ken.
Gentlemen, I have done nothing but Puppy stuff since I woke up today; I feel that I should take time for other things.

http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm
was linked from terryphi's post in the addl software/browser thread;I'll try later to edit this to tell the specific page
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65426

Maybe it's not the pet or the sfs version which causes problems, but rather a problem within the opera itself? please excuse my clumsy terminology.

Flashplayer is working, though it's always been a pain.
I'll get back to you.
EDIT
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 58&t=84267

EDIT:
In rerwin's new Lucid Puppy, there's a
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 17418724 2013-05-23 21:31 /initrd/mnt/dev_ro2/libflashplayer.so

If I copy (or move?) it into
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/

Opera will find it and play, for example,
a Youtube video such as
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpxQyLdCdik

keniv

#2573 Post by keniv »

Hi Sheldonisaacs

Thanks for all your work on my behalf and the links. I am now running Opera from opera-12.16-1860.i386.opt.sfs with your solution to the crash reports problem. However, I still can't get flashplayer to work. I have now tried 10.3.183.23, 10.3.183.29, 10.3.183.90 and 11.2.202.310 without luck. I have checked /initrd/mnt/dev_ro2/ in 5286 but there is no libflashplayer.so there. In fact there is nothing. I have checked opera-settings-preferences-content-plugin options-change path. There were two possible paths. One /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/ contained libflashplayer.so and the other /opt/opera/lib/opera contained nothing. I tried placing libflashplayer.so at the end of both paths This did not work. I unchecked the /opt/opera/lib/opera path and left /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/ as the only path to libflashplayer.so. Did not work either. Even although opera knows the path to libflashplayer.so it does not seem to find it. I am at a bit of a loss as to what to do now. Do you happen to know the version of flashplayer you are using?

Thanks again,

Ken.

sheldonisaac

flashplayer / opera problems

#2574 Post by sheldonisaac »

keniv wrote:I still can't get flashplayer to work. I have now tried 10.3.183.23, 10.3.183.29, 10.3.183.90 and 11.2.202.310 without luck. I have checked /initrd/mnt/dev_ro2/ in 5286 but there is no libflashplayer.so there. In fact there is nothing. I have checked opera-settings-preferences-content-plugin options-change path. There were two possible paths. One /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/ contained libflashplayer.so and the other /opt/opera/lib/opera contained nothing. I tried placing libflashplayer.so at the end of both paths This did not work. I unchecked the /opt/opera/lib/opera path and left /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/ as the only path to libflashplayer.so. Did not work either. Even although opera knows the path to libflashplayer.so it does not seem to find it. I am at a bit of a loss as to what to do now. Do you happen to know the version of flashplayer you are using?
Ken, maybe I was wrong about there being a libflashplayer.so in
/initrd/mnt/dev_ro2/ in 5286.

Many times, some flashplayer files seemed "not to work" even though they were in "the right place". Maybe compiled or whatever in a different version of Puppy. ???

Hopefully more expert people will help with this problem.

OOPS:

~> find / -name libflash*.so
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/libflashplayer.so

~> ls -l /initrd/mnt/dev_save/libflashplayer.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 17418724 2013-05-23 21:31 /initrd/mnt/dev_save/libflashplayer.so
Description: Shockwave Flash 11.2 r202
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so

I again copied it into /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/ , and the video played, after I restarted the X server.

keniv

#2575 Post by keniv »

Hi Sheldonisaacs

Here is the out put I get with the 11.2.202.310 pet installed.

# find / -name libflash*.so
/initrd/pup_rw/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
# ls -l /initrd/pup_rw/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 17422820 2013-08-20 17:09 /initrd/pup_rw/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
# 
If I uninstall the pet no libflashplayer.so is found so I assume /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so is the same libflashplayer.so file as the one in /initrd/pup_rw/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so. However, I don't know enough about this stuff to get any further without help.
I did try an even older flashplayer pet (10.0.5) but again got nowhere.

Thanks again for your help,

Ken.

musher0

#2576 Post by musher0 »

Hello, keniv.

I have the flashplayer plugin at:
Using it, I can hear/see any youtube video.

The gecko-mediaplayer and java plugins are also there.

You can find out which plugins are active in your opera browser, and in
which folder they are located, by clicking: Tools -> Advanced -> Plugins.

If your flashplayer plugin seems to not be working, try a lower version.
Then, reboot. If I remember correctly, just closing and re-starting opera
is not enough, for some reason.

Also, remove any duplicate plugins that may be in /usr/lib/opera/plugins
or elsewhere. Opera gets confused if there are plugins scattered here
and there, and loads none.

Best regards.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

bigpup

#2577 Post by bigpup »

Any chance of Playdayz putting some info about the Lupu 5.2.8.6 update in the first post of this topic?

Maybe time to start new topic for Lupu 5.2.8.6?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

OscarTalks

#2578 Post by OscarTalks »

keniv wrote:Do you have flashplayer working? If so can you tell me how its done. Also I have searched for an sfs version of 12.16 but have not found one. If you know were to get this could you point me in the right direction.
Hello keniv (and anyone else interested)

I did a test in Lucid Plus 528-005 with Opera 12.16 and Flash Player works OK for me so I wonder if something has got corrupted in your particular system. You can easily test this by booting with pfix=ram and just installing those two packages.

I tried my Flash Player 11.2.202.310 and 10.3.183.90 .pets and both worked on YouTube and other websites needing Flash. These install libflashplayer.so in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and Opera is finding it in there OK.

The problem of the crash text files remains, but if you are keen to run Opera in Lucid then you should do the workaround of adding the line to the script at /usr/bin/opera to delete those files at each startup. Not ideal, but at least it stops the accumulation.

Poster Terryphi produces .sfs packages of Opera so I only ever posted .pet packages and I took mine down from the forum after BarryK posted a .pet of Opera 12.16 to the ibiblio repo, so you can always try that one.

I still have Opera 12.16 (with NLS included) as .pet and .sfs packages in my Yandex Disk and my Flash Players are there too as well as still being available from the forum.

http://yadi.sk/d/zTshLczR4wHj8
Oscar in England

keniv

#2579 Post by keniv »

I have tried a number of things to get flashplayer working. I looked at my original system running 528 with some updates that Playdayz provided but before 528.005. This has Opera 11.50 from a pet with flash 10.3.183.23 This works well with a working flashplayer. However, 11.50 will not work with 5286 with corruption of dialogue boxes. I have attached the contents of opera-settings-preferences-content-advanced-plugins options. With 12.16 this only shows flashplayer as 10.3.r183 and nothing else.
I used "load on the fly" to unload the 12.16 sfs. I also uninstalled the flashplayer pet. I the moved .opera out of the savefile to the hd. I then reloaded 12.16 sfs after rebooting. Opening opera produced a new clean .opera in the savefile. I installed the same flashplayer pet as the one that I know works will 528 (see above). I checked that there were no duplicate entries of flashplayer and that there was only one path to flashplayer. I rebooted then opened opera and attempted to play a bit of flash (the weather forecast) on the BBC weather site. Did not work. Does not even seem to attempt to play this. As this is the main reason I want flash to work I am a bit non-plussed. As you can see from my earlier posts I have tried a number of versions of flash but none work. This is also the case with the updated 528.005. I will try the pfix=ram in 5286 with only opera and flash installed and see what happens. I have tried Firefox, Seamonkey and Chrome in the past and have thought of swapping to get round these problems but I prefer Opera.

Thanks again for the help,

Ken.
Attachments
opera1150b.jpg
list of plugins in the work 11.50 opera in 528 including a working flashplayer
(38.42 KiB) Downloaded 489 times

keniv

#2580 Post by keniv »

I have now tried the pfix=ram suggestion in 5286 with only opera 12.16 and flash 10.3.183.23 installed. I installed flash first. Tried to play flash first without a savefile and then with a savefile. Both gave the same outcome as before. I have also rechecked the md5 checksum for the 5286 iso and this is OK. As opera 11.50 works in 528 using flash 10.3.183.23 on this machine it seems unlikely that this is a hardware issue. I am at a loss as to where to go from here.

Regards,

Ken.