Lupu 5.2.8.005 Dependency check after installing a new pet

Please post any bugs you have found
RickGT351

Lupu 5.2.8.005 Dependency check after installing a new pet

#1 Post by RickGT351 »

After installing a new pet, I always get this list of missing dependencies - even if I install one of the ones on the list - very odd: gtk2.0=binver-2.10.0
libffi5
libgeoip1
libnotify1-gtk2.10
perlapi-5.10.0
python2.6-cairo
python2.6-gobject
python-twisted-bin
python-zope.interface

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

Give us some names of pets you installed that do this.
Also, download from what repository in Puppy Package Manager?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

RickGT351

#3 Post by RickGT351 »

Missing files after installing Steam from the Puppy lucid repository

Puppy has examined all user-installed packages and found these missing dependencies:
cli-common libbsd0 libglib2.0-cil
libmono-corlib2.0-cil libmono-system2.0-cil libnotify1-gtk2.10
perlapi-5.10.0

Installed libmono-corlib - installed ok no longer on missing list
Installed perl-base which is supposed to contain perlapi - perlapi still shows on missing list

playdayz

#4 Post by playdayz »

The dependency checker was not always reliable because it did not look every possible place for the dependencies. Some packages provide the dependencies themselves--it's been a while so I can't remember details, but you should see if the package runs and if it does you can ignore the "missing dependencies." In your first example it looks like you might need to install Python. As I recall every package in the repo was tested to run on Lucid. Other pets that you installed and uninstalled may have caused problems. I don't see Steam in the lucid repo. I have seen a report that Songbird no longer runs because of changes to Songbird's web infrastructure.

Did you mean Steam was in one of the Ubuntu repos in Lucid? The idea that every Ubuntu Lucid package would run in Lucid Puppy is not correct. Puppy has a different infrastructure than Ubuntu and often the complex Ubuntu packages would have to be specially constructed and tested to run in Lucid--my estimate at the time was that somewhere around 50% of Ubuntu programs would run unmodified in Lucid Puppy. I believe the dependency checker may have been improved in Slacko and Precise, so if you need to run Steam I would try those.

If you want to run it in Lucid, sometimes installing the devx package can help. You can always experiment and add any truly missing deps yourself. The command ldd programname in a terminal can provide info about missing shared deps. You may have to open the terminal in the directory that contains the binary.

If you do want to do it manually, you can go to http://packages.ubuntu.com and you will see how to search for packages by name our contents--safest to stick with Lucid packages.

rincon155

Similar situation with missing libraries in Lupu 5.2.8 005-2

#5 Post by rincon155 »

I have a similar situation with missing libraries in Lupu Plus Libre 5.2.8 005-2

In my case I have the following pets:

Firefox-12-Lucid
lang_pack_es-lupq-0.2
Flashplayer-10.3.181.34-lucid

And the Repos that I have are:

puppy-lucid
puppy-5
ubuntu-lucid-main
ubuntu-lucid-multiverse
ubuntu-lucid-universe

The missing libraries that I have are:

libkdecore.so.5
libkdeui.so.5
libkutils.so.4
libQtCore.so.4
libQtDBus.so.4
libQtGui.so.4
libQtSvg.so.4

I did a search with my installed Repos and these libraries aren't there.

These missing libraries appeared after I tried to install additional .pets for printer and the hplip package. I uninstalled the various printer and hplip .pets. Actually mi HP Deskjet D1460 prints correctly without any additional .pet

Is there a way to resolve the missing libraries? In which Repos can I find them? Or just should I just ignore them?

bigpup

#6 Post by bigpup »

rincon155,

Playdayz was the developer of Lucid Puppy.
The dependency checker was not always reliable because it did not look every possible place for the dependencies. Some packages provide the dependencies themselves--it's been a while so I can't remember details, but you should see if the package runs and if it does you can ignore the "missing dependencies."
3 of those libs look like KDE libs. KDE is not in Puppy and Puppy has its own programs that do what KDE does.

So. I would follow his advice and try the programs. If they seem to work OK, those libs are not needed by Puppy. Puppy has its own version of some things and uses alternate lib files to do things.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

rincon155

#7 Post by rincon155 »

Thank you bigpup. Actually, everything works fine with my Lupu Plus Libre 5.2.8 005-2, so I will ignore the message regarding missing libraries.
P.S.: I really think that Puppy 5.2.8 is a great creation, specially the Lupu Plus Libre version which is very complete.