ROX file manager alternatives

Using applications, configuring, problems
nic007

ROX file manager alternatives

#1 Post by nic007 »

Is there a lightweight alternative that works more like the copy/paste functions found in Windows? Right-click for copy/paste and so on.

tallboy

#2 Post by tallboy »

I never use Windows, so I am not sure what you refer to. Are we talking about copy/paste of text? In almost every Linux program, when you mark/select text by dragging your mouse over it while holding the left button down, you automatically copy it. Then you just right-click the place where you want to automatically paste it.

If you want to become a real Linux expert, take a look at this site, where you'll find some 4Gb Linux stuff: http://tldp.org - The Linux Documentation Project. If you look under Guides, you will find - among other interesting reading - some basic Linux knowledge in depth:
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
and
GNU/Linux Command-Line Tools Summary

I promise, those will be real eye-openers, even for some 'oldtimers' in the Linux world. :D

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

dancytron

#3 Post by dancytron »

XFE is a file manager that is kind of Windows Explorer like that works with Puppy.

nic007

#4 Post by nic007 »

dancytron wrote:XFE is a file manager that is kind of Windows Explorer like that works with Puppy.
Lovely, the Puppy experience is just getting better. I downloaded Technosaurus' version of 1 Mb. Thanks.

nic007

#5 Post by nic007 »

I don't want to store the trash files in root (I work with small save file). Any workaround?
Solved: Moved the trash folder to where I want it on another partition, then made a symlink to it's original location.

nic007

#6 Post by nic007 »

In fact, I'm just going to use a basic, cut-down version of thunar. About 500kb uncompressed. Very fast.

mikeb

#7 Post by mikeb »

In fact, I'm just going to use a basic, cut-down version of thunar. About 500kb uncompressed. Very fast.
bum you did that before I posted.... I tried thunar on its own on puppy.... worked ok... to me the closest to a windows 95 experience with some nice touches. I find drag and drop a little flaky when dealing with large amounts of important files...they tend to get lost or moved when I want to copy in Rox. Also in my case Rox always crashes in large folders such as system32 in windows so no use to me as a recovery tool.

mike

nic007

#8 Post by nic007 »

mikeb wrote:
bum you did that before I posted.... I tried thunar on its own on puppy.... worked ok... to me the closest to a windows 95 experience with some nice touches. I find drag and drop a little flaky when dealing with large amounts of important files...they tend to get lost or moved when I want to copy in Rox. Also in my case Rox always crashes in large folders such as system32 in windows so no use to me as a recovery tool.

mike
Mike, yes ROX crashes. I'm also not a huge fan of dragging around windows and I like the recycle bin to work the windows way.
Last edited by nic007 on Fri 01 Nov 2013, 17:55, edited 1 time in total.

saintless

#9 Post by saintless »

For people who prefer ROX we have copy/paste script here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=77003
Thanks to SFR.

mikeb

#10 Post by mikeb »

neat :)

I like Rox ...it has some nice features .... always seems like it could do with a little finishing off. Even with full xfce4 and thunar I keep rox around for those moments. (try copying yer /dev/folder in Thunar) I also never realised (doh) that in its copy dialog you can type any path you like ...in otherwords to outside the displayed folder.
It also to me has a more controllable mimetype/extension to application system. Why would I want to open a text file in qemu and other joke funnies that more automated systems seem to produce.

My guess is the crashing is due to some kind of segmentation fault arising from an overload getting a huge pile of information from the files when it scans them....I have never tracked down a cause and the only pattern was the number of files involved. It did seem more prone if on fat32 rather than ntfs...speed of access maybe?

mike

nic007

#11 Post by nic007 »

mikeb wrote:
neat :)

I like Rox ...it has some nice features .... always seems like it could do with a little finishing off. Even with full xfce4 and thunar I keep rox around for those moments. (try copying yer /dev/folder in Thunar) I also never realised (doh) that in its copy dialog you can type any path you like ...in otherwords to outside the displayed folder.
It also to me has a more controllable mimetype/extension to application system. Why would I want to open a text file in qemu and other joke funnies that more automated systems seem to produce.

My guess is the crashing is due to some kind of segmentation fault arising from an overload getting a huge pile of information from the files when it scans them....I have never tracked down a cause and the only pattern was the number of files involved. It did seem more prone if on fat32 rather than ntfs...speed of access maybe?

mike
Nice. I"ve used the typing in of folder to copy to thingy before and it's handy (especially because you don't have to open the destination folder window and it also bypasses the mess of dragging a lot of items). It would be nice if same could be done for moving items. A customised send to like in Windows will be nice. Having to drag items to trash is really iiritating. Is there a better way (apart from making a sym-link to trash in open with which I guess is a workaround)?

mikeb

#12 Post by mikeb »

Hmm well right click options are probably a good way to go (I assume we are talking about Rox). I use custom actions in xfce4 too...very handy for things like direct deletions, activating modules and so on.
The direct deletion pops up a gxmessage box confirming then files are rm'd....so its custom action to a mini script.
I remove puppy's trash system straight away so am unfamiliar with its method.

mike

nic007

#13 Post by nic007 »

mikeb wrote:Hmm well right click options are probably a good way to go (I assume we are talking about Rox). I use custom actions in xfce4 too...very handy for things like direct deletions, activating modules and so on.
The direct deletion pops up a gxmessage box confirming then files are rm'd....so its custom action to a mini script.
I remove puppy's trash system straight away so am unfamiliar with its method.

mike
That right-click multicopypaste does compensate for the send to/move in a way. It works as copy and then you get a window which asks whether you want to delete the same files in the folder of origin...needs a yes input. Just an extra step. Quite neat, definitely makes ROX more functional and user-friendly.

mikeb

#14 Post by mikeb »

definitely makes ROX more functional and user-friendly.
I'm up for that :) ... generally.

Bit of a culture shock...I never believed IBM PCs could achieve that ... one had a deep seated hatred of the beasties :D

mike