Dead cursor after savefile creation on USB install

Using applications, configuring, problems
BTCohosh

Dead cursor after savefile creation on USB install

#1 Post by BTCohosh »

I'm trying to get *any* of the Puppy variants to work on a USB install with my Thinkpad Twist. The USB initially boots just fine, with perfect functionality (as far as I can see), but as soon as I create a save-file and reboot, I get a desktop with a dead cursor. I can't get it to move with my pointer, touchpad, or a usb mouse.

I've used USB installs of Puppy for years, but with this computer I've been frustrated. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Sylvander

#2 Post by Sylvander »

I'm no Puppy/Linux expert, but...
I wonder if...
The Puppies you've tried [the drivers included in the kernel?]...
Work just fine with USB, BUT...
Don't work well with your mobo->HDD [SATA?] combination?
And although you manage to create a pupsave file...
Once your Puppy begins using stuff it has loaded from the pupsave...
To modify what it would originally be loading from the "live" optical disk...
You see this problem arise.

I think you need to keep trying various Puppies to find one [or more] that do not have this problem when working on this particular hardware.

I had a problem running Lupu on a 2012 desktop PC...
SATA devices [HDD, optical-drive] not showing on the desktop and not working.
This was fixed by the creator updating the kernel, and issuing the change as "Lupusuper-5.2.8.6-20131012.iso".

firak

#3 Post by firak »

I have similar problems. Wt puppy 529 & 550, ounly in one of my computer.
I remain in puppy 528 - and his variant macpup528, that does not ghive me problems.
My keybord in some recent puppyes get stack - at the moment of save vile creation. Is similar but not same problem.
I would suggest to you one of this.
1- Not do reboot. try shutdown & turn on and boot.
2- try other puppyes that have different kerenels (maybe is akernel problem) mayebe carolina?.
3- try x win or install x org hight ( meybe is en x org problem )

good lack !

BTCohosh

#4 Post by BTCohosh »

Thanks, folks.

I'm starting to lose hope--I've tried the most recent versions of Precise, Racy, & Slacko, but no luck. I can't figure out why it would work OK on the initial boot, but quit after I've created a save file.

Would trying an *older* version of one of these make any sense?

firak

#5 Post by firak »

i joust now understand that you have a modern computer.
I'm not en axpert but. My guess now is tu suggest a different kernel, so a 64 bit puppy. http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PuppyVersionIndex
like DPpup or Fatdog . that maybe have e better supporto for your hardware.

or
if save file is a problem, maybe try to create an empty save file and see.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 3&start=15

Is not clear to me, but I hope you not surrender...

(or install linux mint on usb -a non pyppy staff http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal- ... -as-1-2-3/)

RetroTechGuy

#6 Post by RetroTechGuy »

I seem to recall seeing something like that under an older version of Puppy. Somewhere between the first boot, and the reboot, the mouse device became remapped to a non-working point.

Perhaps on your first boot, while the thing is working, try using Menu >> Setup >> Mouse/keyboard wizard.

See if that will tweak it to the point that it will work on the next boot (I don't know if it will...)

Otherwise... does anyone know if there is a text interface mouse wizard? Your x-window sits on terminal "F4". You can get to a command (text interface) by holding the Cntl-Alt-F2 or Cntl-Alt-F3 key. F1 is the "terminal" that launched your X (you won't be able to do anything there). To return to the GUI, use Cntl-Alt-F4 or Alt-F4. Login as user: root, password: woofwoof

I can't see how one would scroll across the desktop icons using only the keyboard (so I can't see how you can open a terminal within the GUI, without the mouse).
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

Sylvander

#7 Post by Sylvander »

BTCohosh wrote:I can't figure out why it would work OK on the initial boot, but quit after I've created a save file.
Where is the save file being held?

BTCohosh wrote:Would trying an *older* version of one of these make any sense?
Might well work.
Is your hardware old or new?

bigpup

#8 Post by bigpup »

Are you making any changes to graphics driver being used and then making the save file?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

firak

#9 Post by firak »

An other hypothesis. The problem can depend on creating a bad pupsave on usb, because power problem. Some netbook cut off the power of usb at shutdown.The usb stick needs few seconds more for finish writing . Puppy does not know that. So save file on usb - is at risk corruption at shutdown, if the netbook cut the power of usb.

An other simple test can be to create a save file on your hard disk. and not on the usb stick. reboot and see.

Before that ensure that you cancel any pup save (or remame pupsave.sfs.hide ) in the pen drive and in the computer.

( I got corrupted pupsave on eepc if I remuve the power of the netbook seconds after thutdown )

The previus suggestion , of RetroTechGuy , To st up manually keybord coficuration, befoare create the pup save - make sense also.

RetroTechGuy

#10 Post by RetroTechGuy »

firak wrote:An other hypothesis. The problem can depend on creating a bad pupsave on usb, because power problem. Some netbook cut off the power of usb at shutdown.The usb stick needs few seconds more for finish writing . Puppy does not know that. So save file on usb - is at risk corruption at shutdown, if the netbook cut the power of usb.

An other simple test can be to create a save file on your hard disk. and not on the usb stick. reboot and see.

Before that ensure that you cancel any pup save (or remame pupsave.sfs.hide ) in the pen drive and in the computer.

( I got corrupted pupsave on eepc if I remuve the power of the netbook seconds after thutdown )

The previus suggestion , of RetroTechGuy , To st up manually keybord coficuration, befoare create the pup save - make sense also.
Corrupted save file...

In my syslinux.cfg, I added the option: pfix=fsck

Code: Select all

label puppy
kernel vmlinuz
append initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash pfix=fsck
This forces a save file check before loading, every time...
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

firak

#11 Post by firak »

An other hypothesis. The problem can depend on creating a bad pupsave on usb, because power problem. Some netbook cut off the power of usb at shutdown.The usb stick needs few seconds more for finish writing . Puppy does not know that. So save file on usb - is at risk corruption at shutdown, if the netbook cut the power of usb.

BTCohosh

#12 Post by BTCohosh »

@ Sylvander: my save file is on the USB, and I'm using a new Lenovo Twist; it's loaded with the new Windows 8/UEFI garbage, so installing anything is a *pain*.

@firak (et al): I didn't know about the USB power issue. I'll play with saving to my hard drive and see if that works, but that's a less-than-ideal workaround: I really like the multi-machine/one-OS experience you can get with a USB install.

firak

#13 Post by firak »

multi-machine/one-OS experience you can get with a USB install
in different drive o the prendrive itself.
for thath you can edit the bootloadrer menu for searching the pup save somewere else. I think. maybe is needed to copy also all the puppy files in a specific directory, and create a menu entry at boot menu for this specific computer.

I'not an expert of that, but I mange to deal with this searching in this forum.