LxPup : a Puppy with LXDE as its desktop environment

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Marv

Service pack B and right clicks

#61 Post by Marv »

Downloaded and applied. Both the svc pack and the rightclicks seem fine. I now see how to add them much more clearly. My two additions would be an 'extract SFS to directory' and my personal poison, a 'permanent remove', replete with skull and crossbones! I'll use it and tinker a bit. Seems that it wants desktops. Going to see if they have to reside in /usr/share/applications. Unfortunately, that gets pretty darn cluttered.

Edit: have those 2 pretty much working, still juggling mimetypes.
Further Edit: Bad boy backtracked, installed SpaceFM from http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=88851, copied my sessions (have all rightclicks) and bookmarks in before booting and :lol: Hooked on that look'and feel' I guess.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Volhout

iso delta

#62 Post by Volhout »

Dear PeeBee,

I am beginning to like your LxPup 13.10 more and more, and want to keep it up to date with all the changes you make, so my hours spend using it also contribute to testing of the most recent versions.

I use frugal installs (actually I have only once in my lifetime installed puppy full, rest is all frugal).

Text below: please understand this is new to me, and I am unsure how to do this. I use Puppy linux on an older PC with 512Mb RAM, but I do have a modern windows PC as well.

I have never tried a delta on an iso. To explain: I always install puppy from a windows environment, with unetboot or pendrive linux installer to convert the iso into a bootable USB stick, that I run on the old PC.
Is there a way to delta the iso in a windows environment ?

Or does that only work in puppy linux.
So I would have to :
Boot Puppy, have both the iso and the delta somewhere in the filesystem, do some magic ("click on the delta file ?") and create a new iso. I guess that would require me to have 1 Gbytes of RAM minimal, so RAM would hold both iso's, the delta, puppy linux, and work space ?

Then bring the new iso back to the windows environment on a USB stick, and create a USB stick so it extracts basically the mains SFS to USB stick. Then copy that (new) SFS to my frugal installed USB stick (overwriting the old one), and reboot in the new puppy (keeping my save file !!)?

Alternatively I can copy my save file from the used stick to the new stick, and be up and running also.

Please identify if this would work ?

peebee

Re: iso delta

#63 Post by peebee »

Volhout wrote:Please identify if this would work ?
Hi Volhout

Pleased to hear that you are enjoying using LxPup13.10

I can beat you - I have never full installed Puppy - all my installs have been frugal installs

You can only run xdelta3 in a Puppy environment

I think what you should do is get both the original iso and the Service Pack B preferably in a directory on the hard disk of your Puppy laptop - e.g. /mnt/home

Click on the delta file to create the new iso

When you have the new iso, click on it to mount and open it - then copy just the puppy_lxpup_13.10.sfs file across to your usb stick to overwrite the one already there.

Dismount the iso by clicking on it again.

Reboot and you will be running the new version.

You can then delete the Service Pack B delta file - but keep the original iso and the 1B iso if you have the space.

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

peebee

Right click pet

#64 Post by peebee »

Well I did say it was experimental....

later versions further down thread
Last edited by peebee on Sat 02 Nov 2013, 16:56, edited 2 times in total.
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Marv

Right click pet

#65 Post by Marv »

Great! Collecting them in a common directory (/usr/share/applications/lxrightclicks) makes it much easier to keep track of what rightclicks are installed. My Extract SFS is on board and works. My Remove Permanently rightclick works correctly but I'm having trouble with the mimetype wildcards to have it apply to all mimetypes. Neither */*= or '*/*'= or "*/*"=works. Any suggestions mimetypers. I admit to mimetype ignorance in advance :?
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Volhout

rightclick

#66 Post by Volhout »

Didn't try rightclick yet, but does it have a rightclick for "add to desktop"?
Can check it myself next weekend.... I am just curious....

peebee

Re: rightclick

#67 Post by peebee »

Volhout wrote:Didn't try rightclick yet, but does it have a rightclick for "add to desktop"?
Can check it myself next weekend.... I am just curious....
Hi Volhout

No right click currently defined for that ....

Programs can be sent to the desktop from the menu by right clicking.

Objects (files) can be either cut and pasted to move them to the desktop or copied and pasted to make a new copy on the desktop.

What is a bit tricky to do is to make a link (shortcut) on the desktop to an object (is this what you require?) - for this you need to use ctrl+shift+drag the item to the desktop.

Cheers
peebee

Volhout

Curious

#68 Post by Volhout »

PeeBee,

What are you running on the 1999 thinkpad? Is that 4.12?

Volhout

Edit: did the fixes as you proposed, and it works. I was a bit nervous about overwriting the mains sfs on usb stick while you are running from it, but it all worked!

Volhout

Rightclicks

#69 Post by Volhout »

Hi PeeBee,

Nice job on rightclicks. Didn't try all the options yet, but this is quite complete. What I tried works.

I have 1 suggestion for improvement. Basically it is a Slacko 5.6 improvement, but since I never tested Slacko 5.6, and just your LxPup 13.10, I post it here:

Firefox is defaulting a cache size of 350Mbyte. You can change it as a user, so it is not a big deal, but I suggest to default it a 100Mbyte or even less. Reason is that this cache is stored in the save file. And if you frugal install puppy with a default 512Mbyte save file it fills up quite fast, and remains filled up. Increasing the save file helps, but you are loading 350Mbyte and storing 350Mbyte at every power cycle. And that slows down the system, especially from USB.

Alternatively (not sure if this is possible) you could flush the cache at every power down with a script, so nothing is stored. (or exclude the cache from storing in the save file) The cache is in the .mozilla folder. But that folder also contains the history file, and that is something you may need to keep in the save file. Again.. simplest is to minimize the cache size.

Regards,

Volhout

peebee

Right clicks v0.3

#70 Post by peebee »

Here is another update of the lx-right-clicks pet to v0.3

The changes are - addition of "Permanently Remove file" and "Make desktop link" and some icon tweaking

+ I've moved the mimeapps.list to /opt/lxpup and given it the name lx-mimeapps.list (it is symlinked back to the 'correct' location) so that its easier to edit.

@Volhout #1 - my Thinkpad doesn't get used much these days but when it is Wary5.5 is what runs - although I do try to check new pups to see how they run - slowly sometimes given the very small real memory

@Volhout #2 - changes to Firefox are not something I'd want to make in LxPup as it is part of the base distro not LxPup. I'm sure there are ways to solve your problem by moving the Firefox config files out of the savefile and then symlink back.

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
lx_right_clicks-0.3.pet
(2.28 KiB) Downloaded 483 times

peebee

K3.10.5-PAE version of LxPup-13.10

#71 Post by peebee »

I have added a delta file (25MB) to the download page in post #1 which can be used to generate the iso for lxpup-13.10-2C

The resulting LxPpup-13.10 is based on the PAE version of Slacko 5.6 with kernel 3.10.5

Cheers
peebee

p.s. the screenie shows LxPup-13.10-2 with the optional top panel and desktop drive icons enabled and with a desktop link created with lx-right-clicks
Last edited by peebee on Wed 06 Nov 2013, 07:23, edited 1 time in total.

Volhout

link to desktop

#72 Post by Volhout »

Thanks PeeBee,

Link to desktop works great.

Are you planning to drop the 3.4.52 kernel and only continue the PAE ?

Volhout

peebee

Re: link to desktop

#73 Post by peebee »

Volhout wrote:Thanks PeeBee,

Link to desktop works great.

Are you planning to drop the 3.4.52 kernel and only continue the PAE ?

Volhout
All being well - both....just as Mick offers both for Slacko.

Build is 90% automated so isn't too difficult to do.

Thanks
peebee

Eyes-Only

#74 Post by Eyes-Only »

That is one truly beautiful and breath-taking desktop shot PeeBee! Way to go my friend! 8)

Keep up the great work. Jejy would be more than proud of you I know.

Cheers/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

peebee

Service Pack C

#75 Post by peebee »

6-nov-13

Service Pack C has been uploaded for both the non-PAE and PAE versions.

The only significant change is that the lx-right-clicks pet is now included in the iso and a new gui has been added for all the LxPup optional desktop tools (top-panel, right clicks, desktop drive icons and floppy drive access).

I think that this will be the last Service Pack for LxPup13.10 - the next issue will move to LxPup13.11

@Eyes-Only - thank you!

Cheers
peebee

Marv

#76 Post by Marv »

Thanks peebee,
Returned from the wilderness :P The great improvements in the right clicks and rightclick structure in the 0.3 pet tips the balance firmly back to PCmanFM from SpaceFM. Easy to maintain and add to. Pulled SpaceFM and now basically running a rethemed and paneled svc pack C LxPup with external opera browser. Did add a Save.desktop so I can save2flash and copy the savefile to a backup location before :?: I shoot myself in the foot.

Cheers, ...and wishing I could get mime wildcards to work...

peebee

#77 Post by peebee »

Marv wrote:...and wishing I could get mime wildcards to work...
I've also searched and have been unable to find anything that works.

A reminder - what we want is to be able to define in mimeapps.list that a particular function can be applied to a range of mime types - something like

Code: Select all

image/*=mtpaint.desktop;
i.e. mtpaint can open all types of image files.

If anybody out there knows how to do this please let us know - ta.

Cheers
peebee

peebee

Advice please - openbox3.5.2

#78 Post by peebee »

I have made a trial build of LxPup13.11 with the latest version of Openbox 3.5.2 - only to find that the window placement logic has changed since 3.5.0....
New LeastOverlap window placement policy replaces the old default behaviour. It finds a place on a given monitor that overlaps as few windows as possible.
New windows are now placed at a position which covers the maximum amount of empty screen and the minimum overlap with existing windows. But the default position is top left of the screen so that small windows opened on an empty desktop appear top left rather then in the centre of the desktop as per 3.5.0

I'm not sure I like this new behaviour....so need advice as to whether LxPup13.11 should embrace the new version or stick with the 3.5.0 version as in LxPup13.10?

Anybody got any thoughts/advice??

Cheers
peebee

Marv

Re: Advice please - openbox3.5.2

#79 Post by Marv »

peebee wrote:I have made a trial build of LxPup13.11 with the latest version of Openbox 3.5.2 - only to find that the window placement logic has changed since 3.5.0....
New LeastOverlap window placement policy replaces the old default behaviour. It finds a place on a given monitor that overlaps as few windows as possible.
New windows are now placed at a position which covers the maximum amount of empty screen and the minimum overlap with existing windows. But the default position is top left of the screen so that small windows opened on an empty desktop appear top left rather then in the centre of the desktop as per 3.5.0

I'm not sure I like this new behaviour....so need advice as to whether LxPup13.11 should embrace the new version or stick with the 3.5.0 version as in LxPup13.10?

Anybody got any thoughts/advice??

Cheers
peebee
I've been running 3.5.2 and have no major gripes. In /root/.config/openbox/rc.xml, you should be able to set the placement policy:
Center>yes< and policy>Smart or Undermouse< in lines 26 and 28. Have a go at it and see.

Cheers,

peebee

Re: Advice please - openbox3.5.2

#80 Post by peebee »

Marv wrote:I've been running 3.5.2 and have no major gripes. In /root/.config/openbox/rc.xml, you should be able to set the placement policy:
Center>yes< and policy>Smart or Undermouse< in lines 26 and 28. Have a go at it and see.

Cheers,
Hi Marv

The <center>yes</center> seems to have no effect in my build.

Changing the <policy>...</policy> line does work as expected.

Obconf2.0.4 has a gui to change the <policy> but no mention of <center>

Also in /etc/xdg/openbox/rc.xml there is no <center> line

Wonder why yours is working and not mine???

This thread seems to suggest it is a known problem with 3.5.1 & 2

Thanks for your help...
Cheers
peebee