Any way to disable "Quick Setup" menu every boot?

Booting, installing, newbie
arseh2

Any way to disable "Quick Setup" menu every boot?

#1 Post by arseh2 »

I disabled "shudtown save" by editing shutdown file. I removed "save" icon from the desktop.

Everything is fine with my setup - although I have one disturbance, that is the "quick setup" menu appearing on every boot.

When I saved my first session, it did not appear in the next boot.

After I removed "shutdown save" and "save icon", the "quick setup" menu started to appear again.

Is there any practical way to remove it from the start, while it can remain as a program that can be used for times that it can be needed?

Or - I can delete the quickstart file from the system.

If there is no way I can disable it from launching at start and no way to get rid of it - no problems.

I am just trying to prevent that I can click mistakenly for an insecure setup when I can not realize - or I will have to reboot if I realize.

Just trying to make the almost perfect live CD for my usage.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Which version of Puppy, and is this is a multisession CD you've made by saving the first session to the CD?

arseh2

#3 Post by arseh2 »

Yes - Puppy 5.6. Multisession. I do not want it to be multisession actually. I will finalize the DVD after completing the setup no to save anything. I had to save one time as a test. Or did I have to remaster without making the first save? Any suggestion?

I just do not want to see the quick setup in every boot.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

I don't know about remastering from a multisession. I've never tried it.

As for your question about disabling the "Quick Setup" menu, I don't know the answer to that either. :oops:

If you are making a custom Puppy just for your own use, I'd stick with multisession. I've saved settings for one computer on a multisession Puppy, then booted that multisession disk in a different computer. If I remember right, when Puppy realized that the settings were wrong for the computer it found itself in, it offered the "Setup" menu again. Try it.

For what it's worth, it's a good idea to use a CD-RW (or better yet, a rewritable DVD) for experimenting with multisession and remastering Puppy. Multisession Puppy runs fine from a rewritable CD or DVD, and Puppy has several ways to blank and reuse a rewritable disk. I'm not sure about a CD, but both Burniso2cd and Pburn will burn a rewritable DVD without having to blank it first. :)
Last edited by Flash on Wed 30 Oct 2013, 17:57, edited 1 time in total.

arseh2

#5 Post by arseh2 »

Thanks for taking time to reply, at least.

MochiMoppel

Re: Any way to disable "Quick Setup" menu every boot?

#6 Post by MochiMoppel »

arseh2 wrote:Is there any practical way to remove it from the start, while it can remain as a program that can be used for times that it can be needed?
There are many ways, but all involve customizing of the main puppy sfs file

The easiest way I can think of:
Expand the main Puppy file (unsquashfs puppy_whatever.sfs) . In the resulting squashfs-root directory go to squashfs-root /var/local and create an empty file delayedrun_firstboot_flag. Repack the main file with mksquashfs squashfs-root puppy_whatever.sfs. That's it.

This will suppress the quicksetup and the welcome screen after booting.

Here is what happens at startup (I hope I get this right):

After starting X Puppy runs /root/.xinitrc.
.xinitrc calls /usr/sbin/delayedrun
If the file /var/local/delayedrun_firstboot_flag does not exist, then delayedrun calls quicksetup and welcome1stboot and then creates /var/local/delayedrun_firstboot_flag. This file will be saved when you create a savefile, so you will no be bothered by quicksetup when you use a savefile.
After delayedrun exits, program flow returns to .xinitrc and finally .xinitrc calls the window manager.

anikin

#7 Post by anikin »

Or, if you prefer the comfort of doing things in GUI, do a search on this forum for "EditSFS-2.1.5.pet".

arseh2

#8 Post by arseh2 »

Thanks for the details, Mochimophel.

Anikin - A GUI would be better. I will be trying both.