Android-x86 developments and issues

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
jpeps

#61 Post by jpeps »

nubc wrote:jpeps,
If what you are suggesting is the case, that the Craig netbook (10" screen, 1.5 GHz processor, 1 GB ram) is a POS, then the Asus eeePC would be able to connect when the Craig netbook would not be able. Since both cannot connect via the browser, I can't agree with your suggestion, but I do get your drift. The problem is more likely a configuration issue, based on the evidence. Probably something very simple.
Well, if you've done the setup and the devices indicate they are "connected", the only other thing I can think of is poor signal strength or hardware issues with the device itself.
starhawk wrote:Probably has to do with encryption.
In that case, it would probably not indicate that it's connected, unless I'm mistaken. On the other hand, if I'm a bit out of range, or the signal strength momentarily drops, nothing loads from the browser.

Can you plug the Asus eeePC directly into the modem?

nubc

#62 Post by nubc »

eeePC WiFi linksys
Signal strength: excellent
Link speed: 54 Mbps
Security: none

Craig netbook WiFi linksys
Signal strength: excellent
Link speed: 54 Mbps
Security: none

There are 3 lights illuminated on the Linksys wireless router: Power, VLAN, Internet. The eeePC has an RJ45 ethernet/LAN jack which connects to internet, checked and confirmed minutes ago. The resident browsers on both devices do not connect to internet via WiFi.

EDITT: I justt connectted tthe Linksys wireless routter directtly tto cable modem, rebooted everytthing, and now I am ttyping this from tthe Craig nettbook (WiFi connection).

Problem was probably due to going through a wired router. Does this mean I have to choose either wired or wireless for my home network?
Last edited by nubc on Mon 28 Oct 2013, 21:12, edited 1 time in total.

jpeps

#63 Post by jpeps »

nubc wrote:
Problem was probably due to going through a wired router, not initializing in proper sequence.
Sometimes simply unplugging/plugging the modem gets it working. They're worse than programmers when it comes to getting confused. I've had to update hardware when connections kept dropping. BTW/ you might want to add security

nubc

#64 Post by nubc »

jpeps wrote:
BTW/ you might want to add security
Good recommendation, um, how would I do that, in a nutshell?

jpeps

#65 Post by jpeps »

nubc wrote:
jpeps wrote:
BTW/ you might want to add security
Good recommendation, um, how would I do that, in a nutshell?
You do it in your router, in the wireless gateway settings. There's a security mode dropdown which you can select from. You want something like WPA/WPA2-PSK(TKIP/AES). You get into settings from your browser by entering the router IP. Linksys is usually 192.168.1.1. Default password is usually "admin" (the one your neighbor uses when he accesses your system).

gcmartin

Touch is NOT enabled OOTB

#66 Post by gcmartin »

Tried 2 Andriod-x86s on my Touch HP-TX2. Touch is NOT enabled.
The 2 attempted were Android-x86 V4.3 and Android-x86 V4.0TX2.

Touch is NOT operational on a Touch enable x86 system. Thus app testing is not a pleasant experience.

Here to help
Edited: changed Android4 to Android-x86 V4... for clarity.
Last edited by gcmartin on Wed 30 Oct 2013, 17:13, edited 1 time in total.

don570

#67 Post by don570 »

Dell is trying to run Android 4.2 on 1.6 GHz Intel Atom Z2560 Clover Trail+ processor.

I suspect that there will be a lot of apps that aren't compatible.

http://liliputing.com/2013/10/dells-7-8 ... nd-up.html

nubc

#68 Post by nubc »

Since this forum really shouldn't be burdened with all things Android, I'm putting out a request for recommended support sites. I am asking for quality, not quantity, with emphasis on free services and products: support sites (eg, AndroidCentral), essential sites (eg, Google Play Store), alternative app stores (eg, soc.io mall), rooting tutorials, etc. Thanks

Better Terminal Emulator Magic (free with registration)
http://mall.soc.io/apps/Better+Terminal+Emulator+Magic

A Practical Guide to Linux Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming
http://www.sobell.com/CMDREF1/
Last edited by nubc on Thu 31 Oct 2013, 15:07, edited 2 times in total.

jpeps

#69 Post by jpeps »

nubc wrote:Since this forum really shouldn't be burdened with all things Android, I'm putting out a request for recommended support sites. I am asking for quality, not quantity, with emphasis on free services and products: support sites (eg, AndroidCentral), essential sites (eg, Google Play Store), alternative app stores (eg, soc.io mall), rooting tutorials, etc. Thanks
Try google search. It's free and I haven't yet found an android issue I haven't been able to solve with it. There are also some great books, but you probably wouldn't be interested in compensating anyone for their time.

Billtoo

Re: Touch is NOT enabled OOTB

#70 Post by Billtoo »

Last edited by Billtoo on Wed 30 Oct 2013, 16:29, edited 1 time in total.

jpeps

#71 Post by jpeps »

Billtoo wrote:
Ubuntu 13.10 64 bit supports touch, guess you already knew that.
The bad news is that unlike the “stable

Billtoo

#72 Post by Billtoo »

Last edited by Billtoo on Wed 30 Oct 2013, 16:30, edited 1 time in total.

jpeps

#73 Post by jpeps »

Billtoo wrote:
I'm using Ubuntu 13.10 64 bit version on a laptop that has a touch
screen.
Using the touch pad + a stylus pen is working pretty well.
cool. What's working, what isn't? Pinch zoom? Looks like XMir is only out for the mobile version.

Billtoo

#74 Post by Billtoo »

Last edited by Billtoo on Wed 30 Oct 2013, 16:30, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

#75 Post by gcmartin »

Last edited by gcmartin on Wed 30 Oct 2013, 16:44, edited 2 times in total.

Billtoo

#76 Post by Billtoo »

Last edited by Billtoo on Wed 30 Oct 2013, 16:28, edited 1 time in total.

L18L

Android-x86 developments

#77 Post by L18L »

Edited_time_total
Last edited by L18L on Thu 31 Oct 2013, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

#78 Post by gcmartin »

@L18L???

I can see how our departure of findings on the non-Android's (LightHouse and Ubuntu) use of "touch" could be viewed by some as derailing. So my entry(s) is removed so as not to offend.

But, Android is an OS that centers around "touch" to manage applications serving the user interface. And, more and more purchased x86 CPU systems today, have touch screens.

The concern is if anyone has a touch x86 device, it seems appropriate that Android-x86 provide same-simliar functionality with the built-in hardware of the PCs that Android does on hand-helds.

Would you agree or do you disagree with that? <=== (this question is not to engage in argument, but to try to see whether our view of Android should be about smart devices or about our traditional look at operating systems prior to smart devices.) Any help, from you on this question, helps

I appreciate the sharing of knowledge this thread brings.

Here to help
P.S. I do understand that the mouse presents a substitute for finger touch. But smart devices (including Android devices), today, center around users touching it.

nancy reagan

talking about touch screens = derailing ?

#79 Post by nancy reagan »

Even if someone shouts here that talking about "touch", which is a big help, if not essential in Android, is derailing, I nevertheless would like to suggest

USE Android tablet or smartphone as a client ? (Yes you must have a server as well).

Total noob, so pardon me.

L18L

#80 Post by L18L »

touch is not essential
mouse is not essential
voice is...

I think you cqn use real keyboards, real mice and real large wide screen together with tablets
...and I am using (or trying to use) android-x86 on my x86 computer

thus android-x86 is just another Linux operating system.