Thunder bird fills personal storage file

Using applications, configuring, problems
BlueGum

Thunder bird fills personal storage file

#1 Post by BlueGum »

Hi

I am running slacko 5.5XL. I installed Thunderbird but by the time it synched my mail folders the ImapMail Directory was about 4231 MB and after several restarts the personal storage is 6.9G and free space 2.1G.

Reading the forum, I realise that:

1. I should somehow have directed Thunderbird to create this directory at the outset on sda6 (which I'm using). Can I just move it there now and put a symlink ?

2. slackosave.2fs is now TOO big. I know I can't downsize so after doing operation 1. I should create a new slackosave.2fs of less than 2GB

Is this correct? Comments please.

peebee

Re: Thunder bird fills personal storage file

#2 Post by peebee »

BlueGum wrote:Hi

I am running slacko 5.5XL. I installed Thunderbird but by the time it synched my mail folders the ImapMail Directory was about 4231 MB and after several restarts the personal storage is 6.9G and free space 2.1G.

Reading the forum, I realise that:

1. I should somehow have directed Thunderbird to create this directory at the outset on sda6 (which I'm using). Can I just move it there now and put a symlink ?

2. slackosave.2fs is now TOO big. I know I can't downsize so after doing operation 1. I should create a new slackosave.2fs of less than 2GB

Is this correct? Comments please.
You can move it and then symlink back to /root/.thunderbird

however

if you start again with a fresh savefile, you will need to run thunderbird once to create new files and then do the symlink afterwards, adjusting the names to match.

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(14.69 KiB) Downloaded 373 times
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Sylvander

#3 Post by Sylvander »

See THIS post.

I believe it cannot be done simply by symlinking. :(
I tried that and it failed.
The method linked by me above is in use by me on several Puppies.

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

thunderbirds profile.ini can point to an external folder...I use that to share the profile with windows.

Its a bit of a concern that imap folders are getting so large ...I use it to keep the profile to a few MB for some installs..... it seems like attachments are being downloaded (only supposed to happen when you open a specific email) so check out the account settings / tbird config.

mike

BlueGum

Symlink seems to work for Thunderbird

#5 Post by BlueGum »

Well, it's early days, but moving the ImapMail folder to /mnt/home seems to have worked.

I now have 6.2GB free from 6.9GB personal storage. Not sure how to go about creating a smaller (say 1 -2GB) slackosave.2fs without losing settings etc

I should now move all documents etc to /mnt/home so that if the current slackosave.2fs becomes corrupted at least I can start again without having lost anything.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

Would still recommend puppy though.

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

me saves never got past 256mb when i used them.... these big ones are scary .... :D

Make the save smaller?... I suppose its a case of pfix=ram at boot...make a new smaller one.... restart pfix=ram and click on the old and new one and copy the files.

If all you have are settings and added programs its easier to start over and forget the existing save.

mike

ps why are you imap folders so big?I have 7 imap accounts on this machine (only one machine has pop to download as a backup) and the imap folders come to a total of 321kb ...someone else had huge profile problems an an answer never came so I am curious.

sketchman

#7 Post by sketchman »

You can symlink the whole ".thunderbird" folder.

You then do not have to do a dry run with tbird and then link individual folders and rename stuff.

Symlink the whole thing to a location that won't get touched by OS reinstalls, etc, and then you just re-link it whenever you need to, reinstall tbird, and it's done. Should be noted that I ran into issues when I did this with Windows 7 and Puppy. Windows tbird didn't like the Linux folder, so I ended up having to copy the mail files/folder over, but between Pups, I have never had this issue. I never have to do anything but make a new symlink for a new Puppy/Thunderbird install.
"In a world that exists without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?"

BlueGum

#8 Post by BlueGum »

Symlink whole .thunderbird folder. I'll give that a try thanks!

I'll also do a reinstall of Puppy. I agree that's probably the easiest way to resize personal storage.

My Imap folders were so big because I took gmail at its word (15GB storage) and just kept emails going back many years. Not an issue till I started using Puppy. But recently I have deleted 1000's of emails trying to get past the filling up of personal storage problem. Pity to lose all that history.

mikeb

#9 Post by mikeb »

Not an issue till I started using Puppy.
I am just wondering if there is some default setting /change in thunderbird to affect imap folders in such a dramatic way. my 300k ish imap folders represent about 200MB of emails. I still use thunderbird 2 as there seems to be no reason to update (actually 1.5 was happy to) so was looking at some insight into what was happening for anyone like yourself with space problems and using newer version.

thanks for the reply

mike

peterr2

slakosave.2fs

#10 Post by peterr2 »

Hello
I found this in my Win 8.1.
Can I remove it safely?
I only use a Zorin pen drive now and then so if they are related tell me please so I can stop using the Zorin pendrive.
Thank you
Peter

mikeb

#11 Post by mikeb »

If you mean slackosave and you are not using slacko then yes remove it...its just a file

mike

peterr2

slacko file

#12 Post by peterr2 »

Thank you, MikeB.

I am also using Zorin via a pendrive with persistence so i can assume that file is in my machine also. How can I find it?

mikeb

#13 Post by mikeb »

Hmm never used Zorin so no clues on that one....perhaps its on the pen drive

mike