Tinkering w/ Haze WM

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
samira

Tinkering w/ Haze WM

#41 Post by samira »

goingnuts: the "standard" package i was refering to is "hazewm.tar.gz" which contained the executable.
By the way, I do prefer mlvwm over hazewm, in terms of practicality & aesthetics. However, haze being built on mlvwm code, meaning whatever bugs on mlvwm was probably reduced. (Eg. the double scroll bars). And I would like mlvwm to have more functions such as able to create a new folder,etc, just like on an actual mac.

goingnuts

#42 Post by goingnuts »

OK - thanks. I will try working on mlvwm. I have most of the code for theming menubar and will try to add some theming of the windows.
I am not sure if haze has less bugs - or that mlvwm has bugs...
In fact mlvwm seems more robust - the added theming in haze lacks error checking and so...
The scroll bars can be disabled in mlvwm via mlvwmrc ex:

Code: Select all

# Define the default window decoration
Style
"*" MiniIcon mini-cross.xpm, NoSBarH, NoSBarV, NoResizeR, MaxmizeScale 100, MenuBar default
END

samira

Tinkering w/ Haze WM

#43 Post by samira »

goingnuts: Been trying out mlvwm since this morning. Did bump into some problems like:
1. When swallowing xclock, if we specify the foreground colour as 'grey' it appears darker than the menu bar. However, when specifying 'light grey', or in hex, it doesn't seem to understand and hangs.
2. When swallowing xload (with syntax xload -nolabel -fg red, etc), it hangs as well, only displaying the title on the menu bar when mlvwm is loading.
I did try that method to hide the scrollbars in .mlvwmrc, and it does look better.
I was wondering also, what if we just made changes to haze wm to mimic mlvwm, eg. changing the menu bar colors, icons, etc to bring make it more up-to-date, nothing too fancy though. Just simple, fast, and aesthetically pleasing.

samira

Tinkering w/ Haze WM

#44 Post by samira »

P/s: I didn't manage to get a screenshot as my xserver keeps freezing out of nowhere.

goingnuts

#45 Post by goingnuts »

Could you test attached mlvwm?
I have tried to make settings of colors for menu bar & windows possible via mlvwmrc - keeping system8 free of the colors and having close to default if none of the new flags are set. Menu bar height will be settable with system8 though.

The mlvwm parser wont accept content with "#" - its regarded as a comment - should work on that later - and every " " is considered a new command/flag so that "crashes" it too.

I also have attached my present mlvwmrc but you will probably need to adjust it.

Both attachment are fake .gz-files - just rename for use.

As for continuing on hazewm instead - I gave up - much easier to work in mlvwm-code and adapt things from hazewm.
EDIT: Removed attachments
Last edited by goingnuts on Tue 29 Oct 2013, 17:11, edited 1 time in total.

samira

Tinkering w/ Haze WM

#46 Post by samira »

goingnuts: I downloaded your version of mlvwm, was quite impressed with it's flexibility. Also, it feels more zippy & light on my laptop with pup 4.30.. And though the icons aren't there, i managed to get it running with the plain & mac os 8 themes.
Attachments
mlvwm_system8.jpg
(133.75 KiB) Downloaded 562 times

samira

Tinkering w/ Haze WM

#47 Post by samira »

Keef: I've tried to use xfontsel but it seems when clicking 'select', nothing is in the clipboard for me to paste in geany/leafpad..

goingnuts

Re: Tinkering w/ Haze WM

#48 Post by goingnuts »

samira wrote:goingnuts: I downloaded your version of mlvwm, was quite impressed with it's flexibility. Also, it feels more zippy & light on my laptop with pup 4.30.. And though the icons aren't there, i managed to get it running with the plain & mac os 8 themes.
Thanks for testing! I will add the haze min/max, resize & close window boxes as style option and a few other things. And then post source & link to mlvwm-hacked-starter-pack...

samira

Re: Tinkering w/ Haze WM

#49 Post by samira »

goingnuts wrote:
samira wrote:goingnuts: I downloaded your version of mlvwm, was quite impressed with it's flexibility. Also, it feels more zippy & light on my laptop with pup 4.30.. And though the icons aren't there, i managed to get it running with the plain & mac os 8 themes.
Thanks for testing! I will add the haze min/max, resize & close window boxes as style option and a few other things. And then post source & link to mlvwm-hacked-starter-pack...
Great! I'll be waiting for that..since i last did any c programming way back in '04, i'm a bit rusty, looking at a .c file is abit overwhelming for now i guess.

Keef

#50 Post by Keef »

samira

A middle mouse click will paste into a text editor. Right click and 'paste', as well as ctrl+v, seem not to work.

goingnuts

#51 Post by goingnuts »

Uploaded a starter-pet for Mlvwm091-Hacked here
Install as normal pet - exit to prompt and start the fun with "startmlvwm".
If you have your sound configured you should experience the added system sound theme as well...
Should we rename to MazeWm?

Keef

#52 Post by Keef »

Working nicely. Not used to all that desktop bling.

goingnuts

#53 Post by goingnuts »

Keef wrote:Working nicely. Not used to all that desktop bling.
Thanks for testing! The good thing is that it can be turned off - I just felt like exposing some of the possibilities...
By the way - in /usr/share/mlvwm/pm_mlvwm_xdg.sh try change

#MAIN - publish the menu

#multi menu
the_menu_things

#one-menu with all things in submenus
#the_one_menu_things
to

#MAIN - publish the menu

#multi menu
#the_menu_things

#one-menu with all things in submenus
the_one_menu_things
That should crawl your /usr/share/application directory, convert your images and create a mlvwm-menu with most applications present in Puppy...without harming any of your normal desktop or image files. But run it before launching mlvwm as it can take some time for the first run.

Keef

#54 Post by Keef »

Tried that and it has worked quite well, with just a few quirks:
In the 'Utilities' menu, the pupMd5sum icon is too large, which stretches all the other entries. gHasher, which uses the same icon, is the right size.
Also, xfontsel won't run from the menu. It will run if I take out the background colour setting though - didn't you mention previously that mlvwm had trouble with '#' in the configs? (only sees it as a comment).

I am running a 1600x1200, and windows do not maximise to full screen - looks like it is about 1200 wide.

goingnuts

#55 Post by goingnuts »

In mlvwmrc

# Define the default window decoration
Style
"*" MiniIcon mini-cross.xpm, NoSBarH, NoSBarV, NoResizeR, MaxmizeScale 90, MenuBar default
END
change value for MaxmizeScale 90 to 100 - or delete and maximize use 100% of desktop.
I also have seen the one or two pixmaps not getting right size...easier to fix manually than by code...for me at least...
Again - thanks for swift response and test!
I will try to fix this problem with "#" and " " in commands.

samira

Tinkering w/ Haze WM

#56 Post by samira »

Keef: Noted with thanks.

goingnuts: good job! (clap! clap!) Finally mlvwm & haze are unified as a new wm. I support it being renamed to MazeWM. Or just Maze perhaps?
Briefly tried it out on my 2.14x, and it was good tweaking the settings & seeing how'd it turn out. Amazing that it still supports the os8 and haze look, together with the bare 'maze' look,(when you comment out the colours) and this being done within a short period. So far didn't bump into anything weird. Didn't have time to test the menu creator though..

goingnuts

#57 Post by goingnuts »

Thanks - there are a few things I would like to check/add before moving it to mazewm. Meanwhile I think I fixed the command parser. Real problem was if quotes present in string to parse (in ["xfontsel", Action Exec "xfontsel" exec xfontsel -bg "#e0ffe0"] the quotes around color made command parsed "" - doing nothing). So pet updated with this minor improvement - same link to upload as given above.
Update 20131029:
Added setting desktop (root) color from mlvwmrc and autoset of rootwindow cursor (no need for xsetroot now). Added a flag for SOUNDTHEME in mlvwmrc to turn on/off system sounds. Fixed calling programs in InitFunction/RestartFunction containing quotes in command.

goingnuts

#58 Post by goingnuts »

amigo

#59 Post by amigo »

Hey nice! You got a sourceforge site for it... keep up the good work.

goingnuts

#60 Post by goingnuts »

@amigo: Thanks - sourceforge seems to be easy to use and a good place to put some of my projects - I already have another project in mind...
Coding a window manager is quite heavy stuff - my additions to mlvwm are mostly cosmetic.