Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
mikeslr

Recommended Change -- additional panel launchers

#2521 Post by mikeslr »

Hi rerwin and all,

Sorry I didn't think of this before. DaveS started a "Openbox/Fbpanel, How to set it all up" thread shortly after I began using Lupu. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=68200, which stimulated mrd to create a pet that adds up to 8 launchers to fbpanel, customizable via fbpanel's configuration GUI. I've used it ever since, and its still available. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 478#538478.

DaveS also published on that thread a pet he called Launcher. It creates a user-placeable 2nd fbpanel. It is also one of my "must use with fbpanel" apps. What I like about it is that it serves as a substitute for wbar and is highly configurable: location, number of launchers, size of launcher icons, remains hidden unless moused-over then displays despite window formerly occupying space. A symlink to it in the Startup directory has to be created for a launcher panel to automatically display. Additionally, after installation additional copies can be added by copying/renaming launcher's directory so that several additional launcher panels can be had. Unfortunately, there's no GUI so configurations have to be done by opening its config file in a text editor. Consequently, I just provide the link to DaveS's post about it: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 541#527541.
Both work fine with your updated Lupus. Inclusion of Launcher is something which might best be left to user discretion, but the modification of fbpanel seems to be just a modification of fbpanels configuration. As it doesn't force anyone to use all 8 possible launchers, merely provides the option, I'd recommend it as a default change.

mikesLr

p.s.: You're updated Lupulibre is working great on my desktop. Thanks for your hard work in keeping my "fall-back" operating system current. Posting from it now. Hardware and software changes may someday require a Pup with a more recent kernel --so I continue to explore other Pups-- but with the exception of an Acer D270 that uses a generally unsupported graphics chip-- Lupu remains the best all-around OS for my computers.

mikeslr

Suggest removal of Songbird from Quickpet

#2522 Post by mikeslr »

Hi rerwin & all,

I suggest that both Songbird apps be removed from Quickpet. Songbird no longer supports Linux. While both apps download and install, none of Songbirds Tools can be added: the website linked to no longer exists. Without the Tools --such as Shoutcast-- Songbird does not offer anything not already provided by pmusic (a much under-appreciated application).

mikesLr

shinobar

LC_COLLATE, a4paper, Xdefaults, Roxterm

#2523 Post by shinobar »

@rerwin
Small requests:

1. LC_COLLATE
/etc/profile, line 98
export LC_COLLATE=en_US
In recent puppies, this line is commented out to make the listing order to be correct.

Code: Select all

#export LC_COLLATE=en_US
2. a4paper
Japanese editions have next file /etc/profile.d/a4paper for the default ps/PDF paper size to be A4, because the letter size is used only in the north american countries.

#31dec10 shinobar: ghostscript paper size
case "${LANG:2:3}" in
_US|_CA|_MX) :;;
*) export GS_OPTIONS="-sPAPERSIZE=a4";;
esac
3. Xdefaults
/root/.Xdefaults, line 9 has a space character(not seen) at the tail.
Rxvt.keysym.0xFF57: \033[4~_
The last space is removed in the recent woof.

Rxvt.keysym.0xFF57: \033[4~
4. Roxterm
The roxterm in lupu-528 does not read the /etc/profile, whereas the rxvt does.
The Japanese edition, lupu-528JP has 'login_shell=1' option in the file /root/.config/roxterm.sourceforge.net/Profiles/Default:

[roxterm profile]
always_show_tabs=0
font=Liberation Mono 14
login_shell=1
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

shinobar

Print Screen

#2524 Post by shinobar »

Japanese editions enable the Print Screen key.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=89844

playdayz

#2525 Post by playdayz »

First, thank you to all of you who sent well-wishes to me and my family. Because of effective new drugs for M.S. my wife can keep up with her gardening and she even starts other projects faster than I can keep up with her ;-)

During the tough times I was amazed to see Lucid consistently toward the top of the first page of Puppy Projects. Bigpup kept it there I think with his consistent support for users. To judge from its longevity we built a hell of a good operating system, that has more than fulfilled the 3 years of Long Term Support. By we, I mean, above all, 01micko, who is the best partner I have ever had in any endeavor. Without Barry, none of it would exist of course, but in my opinion what made Lucid was the work of all the testers and developers. Look back, each release of Lucid had about 100 forum pages of testing. In software development there is no substitute for testing. So to all of you, test, test, test.

It is wonderful to see that rerwin is preparing 5.2.8.6. Open-source projects often change leadership in this way. I have encouraged him to open a new thread when 5.2.8.6 is released, with his own name on it and his own style and personality, and recognition as the project leader. It is also great to see some of the developers helping rerwin, shinobar, radky, mikeslr, mavrothal, Sylvander, and the others. They were all essential to the original quality of Lucid. And I am pretty sure that shinobar knows Lucid much better than I do ;-) And now that nooby is on board, great things will happen for sure!
Last edited by playdayz on Sat 26 Oct 2013, 22:20, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#2526 Post by playdayz »

I found that to get my new Netgear N150 network wireless USB adapter, to work, I needed to use Lupu 3HD. Its slightly newer kernel was needed.

So, I could see support for new add on hardware as reason to justify a newer kernel.

With the changes you are making to Lucid Puppy, the kernel version is probably the biggest difference, between it, and newer versions of Puppy.
Now I get to slightly disagree with Bigpup.

Yes, the 2.6.37 kernel supports some devices that the original 2.6.33.2 kernel did not, and hopefully the 3x kernels might support some more. But that is not all. I personally have to run Lucid within Windows with Vmware because the Xorg in Lucid does not work with the Intel 4000 graphics in my newish, ex-Windows 8 laptop (which is now Windows 7 running from an SSD). Additionally, in my testing the latest versions of Chrome will not run in Lucid because they require a newer version of libstdc++. I can run both Slacko and pemasu's build of Precise directly on the machine, however. So if anyone wants a real challenge, I think Lucid would need a new Xorg, new libstdc++, and glibc, at the very least, to be completely current. And then some of the programs would probably need to be recompiled, and the whole thing tested extensively.

All of this is to say that I think rerwin is making the right decision to update Lucid so far and no farther. Users of very new hardware are IMHO better served by Slacko and pemasu's version of Precise.

It is always fun to be proved wrong though LOL

shinobar

Best wishes

#2527 Post by shinobar »

Hi playdayz,
I am very pleased to hear you and your family is fine.
And you can see your baby Lucid Puppy is also fine here.

bigpup

Re: Best wishes

#2528 Post by bigpup »

Hi playdayz,

I to am very pleased to hear you and your family is fine.
Great news about your wife!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I was hopping we would see some posting from you. :D
Hopping you can give some help and support to rerwin, and maybe at least stick your toes back into Puppy. :D :D :D

I love computer hardware, software, and programs :x :twisted:
Just when you think you are really understanding it all, they change something. :shock:

Your comments about support for new hardware and latest programs are what we just have to deal with.
At some point you have to move on, but Lucid Puppy has a lot of life left in it! :!: :!: :!:

Remember the old days of working under the hood :?:
Attachments
image01717.JPG
(57.08 KiB) Downloaded 1048 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#2529 Post by bigpup »

rerwin,

One thing to consider, if you decide to go to a newer Linux kernel.
The graphics drivers, that are available in Quickpet, will need to be recompiled for that kernel.
YaPI(any iso installer)

rerwin

lupu-5.2.8.6-20131028 Uploaded

#2530 Post by rerwin »

I have uploaded the beginning of the 20131028 set of ISO files for lupu 5.2.8.6. They include almost all of the suggestions and recommendations made in this thread since the previous version (20131012). When libreoffice -4.1.3 is released (soon), I plan to build it into an SFS file, add that to lupuplus and build lupulibre. Thank you to all who contributed to the recommendations. Details are at the usual place:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 108#726108

Suggestions I did not include are:
- the disk drive volume name addition because the underlying code has been rewritten, requiring redesign of the implementation and
- the addition of 4 "launchers", although I am not ruling it out -- I just need more justification for doing it and advocating it for the mainline puppies (woof), as well as some code merging.
EDIT: I dug into this and discovered stu90's update of the original mrd version. I adapted that for lupu and made some corrections. I updated its 'config' file to retain the existing settings. As I know little about this function, knowledgeable users please test the attached package to verify it does what you expect, before I add it to the ISO files. About woof: I see that pfbpanel is not part of precise pup; this upgrade is merely an extension of a lupu capability. /EDIT

I made some improvements to the remasterer and the dir2sfs process. Until now, the root and etc directories were not accurately copied during a remaster because the script did not know about those files. Although a file listing is generated when a .pet package is installed, nothing is done about that when an SFS file is loaded for remastering.

I added a script to build a similar file listing for SFS files but only for the root and etc directories. Dir2pet will now run that script before making the squash (SFS) file. But that script can be run alone to create the list in /root/.packages for SFS files that do not already include the list. To do that, click on the SFS file to mount it, open a console inside the new window and type:

dir2sfs-make_file_list . <---Don't forget the dot!

Both that script and remasterpup2 now support the "--help" option for details.

All, for now.
Richard

UPDATE 10/30/2013:
Re-attached pfbpanel-0.3.1-lucid.pet after download number 4, to improve the upgrade of the config file. The upgrade is now done during installation.
For the first run after upgrading the underlying lupu version, a Startup script will make the upgrade if necessary.
This change benefits those who have modified their fbpanel configuration, by not replacing the config file, but just adding to it.

UPDATE 10/31/2013:
I am seeing that pfbpanel-0.3.1-lucid is not working well, particularly regarding the 4 new plugins. They won't stay disabled and sometimes change the state of other options. I do not know how to fix that, so will be back-stepping to the version without those plugins, to be named pfbpanel-0.2.1-lucid. I will leave "0.3.1" here awhile in case anyone cares to try to fix it. But it is not ready for prime time as it is.

UPDATE 11/3/2013:
Re-attached pfbpanel-0.2.1-lucid to improve the appearance of the "launchbar" tabs that actually contain 2 "launcher" definitions each, not launchbars. That misnaming confused me for several days. The tab names are "Launch 1-2", "Launch 3-4", etc. The 4 frames in each tab are grouped by outer frames labeled "Launcher 1" and "Launcher 2", etc. Please correct me if I got this wrong.

I also made possible the commenting of LAUNCH... statements in the config file, so that sample program-icon definitions can be included in that file for users to edit/activate/uncomment as desired.
Attachments
pfbpanel-0.2.1-lucid.pet
mrd version of Pfbpanel, adapted for lupu
Now, the config file need not be disturbed, because whatever you have is fine.
This is what will go into 5.2.8.6 unless a showstopper is found.
(5.84 KiB) Downloaded 271 times
pfbpanel-0.3.1-lucid.pet
Test version of mrd/Stu90 version of Pfbpanel, adapted for lupu
If you have modified /root/.fbpanel/config, please make a copy of it
before installing this package, because the package may update that file.
(6.71 KiB) Downloaded 272 times
Last edited by rerwin on Mon 04 Nov 2013, 04:11, edited 9 times in total.

shinobar

Re: lupu-5.2.8.6-20131028 Mirrored

#2531 Post by shinobar »

rerwin wrote:I have uploaded the beginning of the 20131028 set of ISO files for lupu 5.2.8.6.
Mirrored:
http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?puppy/lupu/test/

musher0

#2532 Post by musher0 »

Thanks, guys!
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

playdayz

#2533 Post by playdayz »

I don't know if this will be useful or not. As I said, Lucid (no version) does not work on my Lenovo G580 laptop, originally Windows 8. Specifically, Lucid does boot and run, but when one goes to Exit to prompt or to shutdown, the result is a black screen, making it pretty useless--no way to create a save file for instance.

Slacko and Precise do not have this problem. I have noticed 2 things that are different about Slacko in this regard. 1) when Slacko boots, right after the screen displays "Loading kernel modules," the screen blinks and the font is different when the text reappears. 2) The glx files, what Lucid calls Xorg_High, are built into to both Slacko and Precise, making for a larger iso.

Maybe item #1 has to do with modeset, I don't know but surely someone does. Maybe the Xorg iin Lupu just is too old to support the Intel 4000 graphics in this laptop, but as I said, the graphics do display--it's just when exiting X that the blank screen occurs. This is no big deal and maybe outside of what rerwin envisions for 5.2.8.6, but figuring this out might extend Lupu to more new hardware, if that is a primary goal. Thanks.

I'm with you, musher0, Logical entities must not be multiplied needlessly. ;-)

bigpup

#2534 Post by bigpup »

Playdayz,

Same problem as you are having.
Slacko 5.3.3 PAE full install - can't get to command prompt
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=80421
Seemed to be fixed by changing graphic driver.
Try good old Vesa driver to start with.

Probably need to use the Intel i915 latest driver.
YaPI(any iso installer)

darry1966

Great Pup - Much Improved Performance

#2535 Post by darry1966 »

Machine:

AMD Sempron 3000+ Compaq Presario

1Gig ram

Tested LupuMini-5.2.8.6-20131028.iso

Video Performance much improved graphical performance with Flash on youtube. responsiveness seems faster than previous Lupumini tested so all I can say Richard is thank you for this it is a great test release I love it.

It is only using 98meg of Ram working from the livecd.

I use the Seamonkey browser and it was nice to have the latest in the browser choices.

Again thanks.

keniv

#2536 Post by keniv »

Hi All

First can I say how much I appreciate all of the work that is being done to update Lucid Puppy 528. It is my favorite puppy and I use it daily. It works well with my old Toshiba Satellite Pro 4200 800MHz 320MB. I have various versions of 528 and other puppies as frugal installs as well as XP (rarely used) on my hd booting with grub. I have 528.005 with two save files and I installed the set of update pets produced by rerwin in one of these for testing. These are show below. All seemed well and every thing seemed to work.
I decided I would give the new isos a try and selected lupu-5.2.8.6-2 0131028. I did a manual install. I installed the appropriate video driver and other applications that I use. I had been using Opera 11.50. I decided to update to 12.16 which is the most up to date version in quickpet. I set up Opera with my favorites etc. but I found that some of the dialogue boxes do not display properly (see attached). You get to this from opera-settings-preferences-advanced.
I thought I would go back to see if there were any problems with Opera in the updated 528.005 that I had not noticed and found there were (see attached). This is in Opera 11.5. This only happens in the savefile I updated and so I assume it is caused by something that was in the update pets and has carried forward into the isos.
I am sorry that I seem to have got the attachments in reverse order. I am not sure how to correct this.

Regards,

Ken.
Attachments
opera1150.jpg
Opera 11.50 in updated 528.005 with partly corrupted dialog box
(21.8 KiB) Downloaded 700 times
opera1216.jpg
Opera 12.16 with partly corrupted dialogue box
(44.79 KiB) Downloaded 805 times
updates.jpg
Update pets installed in 528.005
(43.37 KiB) Downloaded 701 times

rerwin

#2537 Post by rerwin »

keniv,
Thanks for reporting this. With the 20131028 version I introduced a check for pet conflicts with a replacement version of lupu528. I would expect it to pop up a window the first time you boot after changing the lupu_528.sfs file. Note that it is not perfect, in that many packages do not follow the usual naming conventions regarding version numbers.

I would expect the popup to list all of those packages you installed because their versions should match the ones built into 20131028. The popup should recommend that you uninstall all of those packages, in case the new version of something is better that the pet version.

One thing to note: the gtkdialog4 package is older that the gtkdialog package included in 5.2.8.6. So, regardless of whether it showed up in the popup window, that package must be uninstalled in order to make the newest version available to the "p" packages (e.g., pBurn) that need it.

Be sure you keep a copy of your pupsaves in case things do not go perfectly. This will be a good test of the process of upgrading lupu under an existing, package-enhanced pupsave environment. Please keep us informed as to how it goes.
Richard

keniv

#2538 Post by keniv »

Hi Richard

Thanks for your reply. With 528.005 I updated an existing savefile so I can see why there could be version conflicts. However, with the lupu-5.2.8.6-2 0131028 iso I made a new savefile and then installed Opera 12.16 from quick pet. The only thing that has come from a previous version of Opera was my bookmarks which I imported via Opera rather than manually swapping the bookmarks.adr file in .opera. I also added the urlfilter.ini file to .opera. I did install other pet packages but so far have only noticed a problem with Opera. I will keep testing to see if it occurs with dialogue boxes in other applications. Could the gtkdialog package included in 5.2.8.6. be newer than Opera 12.16 expects? If this is the case could this cause my problem or are the updates back compatible. I also thought of uninstalling the pets from 528.005 one at a time, gtkdialog first. However, I am not sure if this would leave the older original version or would it have been overwritten. Is it worth trying this? It would be interesting to know if anybody else is using Opera with the new iso and whether they are having any problems. I am at a bit of a loss as to what to try with this one.

Regards,

Ken.

keniv

#2539 Post by keniv »

Uninstalled gtkdialog4-0.8.3-486i.pet from 528.005 test savefile. Made no difference to my problems with Opera. Have re-installed the pet.

Regards,

Ken.

sheldonisaac

dialog boxes

#2540 Post by sheldonisaac »

(Portions snipped)
keniv wrote:Thanks for your reply. With 528.005 I updated an existing savefile so I can see why there could be version conflicts. However, with the lupu-5.2.8.6-2 0131028 iso I made a new savefile and then installed Opera 12.16 from quick pet. The only thing that has come from a previous version of Opera was my bookmarks which I imported via Opera rather than manually swapping the bookmarks.adr file in .opera. I also added the urlfilter.ini file to .opera. I did install other pet packages but so far have only noticed a problem with Opera. I will keep testing to see if it occurs with dialogue boxes in other applications. Could the gtkdialog package included in 5.2.8.6. be newer than Opera 12.16 expects? If this is the case could this cause my problem or are the updates back compatible. I also thought of uninstalling the pets from 528.005 one at a time, gtkdialog first. However, I am not sure if this would leave the older original version or would it have been overwritten. Is it worth trying this? It would be interesting to know if anybody else is using Opera with the new iso and whether they are having any problems. I am at a bit of a loss as to what to try with this one.
I tried to check on this:
A day or two ago, I had downloaded
lupumini-5.2.8.6-20131028.iso It's size was 167938048

I put its vmlinuz, initrd.gz, and .sfs files into a new directory in my frugal
/mnt/home/ directory
Booted it.
Made a save file, rebooted, and added opera-12.16-1860.i386.opt.sfs to be autoloaded.

I have not done any of the update files you did.

To test, I did Tools->Preferences-Advanced, and did _not_ see the dialog box problem in Tabs

However, when I did the Bookmarks, right-clicked a bookmark, and clicked Properties, I saw the problem you showed.

It doesn't happen with the old 528.005.

Regarding your thought about gtkdialog, may I just say: I'd had lots of problems with Pmusic because of that, ie it was "expecting" some version of gtkdialog that wasn't there, or ???
Zigbert knows a lot about this stuff; as does, I guess, 01micko.
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P