Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 27 Nov 2014, 03:06
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Obedient Pup - (V3 Released 05th November 2013)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 4 of 4 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
ETP

PostPosted: Thu 24 Oct 2013, 03:38    Post_subject: Mouse freeze.  

Hi Atle,

That looks a very nice machine and your problem seems different to Ted’s. I am assuming that you confirmed the MD5 sum on the download.

Are you using the touchpad or connecting a USB mouse?
Can you try booting with a USB mouse connected?
Which Precise based puppies have worked on your hardware?
Do you see the new wallpaper when you boot?
Did you have a problem with Obedient V1 or TPWNN?

Ted Dog

PostPosted: Thu 24 Oct 2013, 03:49    Post_subject: Re: Rodent issue  

ETP wrote:
Hi Atle & Ted Dog,

I suspect that you are both suffering from the same mouse/Dell/PS2 issue rather than a problem within this particular pup.

A variety of solutions are described in this thread which mentions the Dell problem. I would also avoid using a mouse USB to PS2 adapter.

www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=89255&sid=82b740dab70b1a498277bf2ef6781f45

Nope acts like a timing issue, or mishmash of combining precise with puppy. Hardware works on Precise Ubuntu, or Racy/Wary puppylinux, but not on most Woof builds like Precise Puppylinux. Some versions, work 10% of time booted (ie mouse works, but may take 12-20 reboots) the 'work-around tab' never works if boot does not.

I do need to say, its either a black screen, auto-resets, or mouse freeze, mouse freeze occurs on ATOM based notebook with trackpad, and my new Acer has screen issues and no sound on some versions of wolf builds and mouse freeze (worked around with USB)
My server screen is black and requires a pulled power cable, I'm afraid its effecting my videocard, It requires two full reboots to boot a known-ed good linux.
greengeek

PostPosted: Thu 24 Oct 2013, 14:23    Post_subject: Re: Rodent issue  

Ted Dog wrote:
Hardware works on Precise Ubuntu, or Racy/Wary puppylinux, but not on most Woof builds like Precise Puppylinux.
As a comparison I reckon you should try Pemasu's Upup3992 on some of your hardware and see if the result is the same. Upup3992 is also a Woof build so the outcome would be helpful information - if theres an issue in Woof that is stopping testing and development progressing then it would be nice to identify it and get it sorted.
Atle

PostPosted: Thu 24 Oct 2013, 15:28    Post_subject:  

Quote:
That looks a very nice machine and your problem seems different to Ted’s. I am assuming that you confirmed the MD5 sum on the download.

Are you using the touchpad or connecting a USB mouse?
Can you try booting with a USB mouse connected?
Which Precise based puppies have worked on your hardware?
Do you see the new wallpaper when you boot?
Did you have a problem with Obedient V1 or TPWNN?

Indeed its a beauty. Slim and quick. Even got it for free:-)

I use Touchpad
I can try with a usb mouse as a test, but that will be later
Almost all puppies out there. I do test almost everything
Yes... (about wall paper)
I dont think i tested it on my own hardware, but another machine for a potential user with special needs.

I think i will try another go with a mouse, but i do suspect the voice command is the issue, but await til I try out on this or other machine.This has some issues sometimes i feel.

Great efforts

atle
greengeek

PostPosted: Thu 24 Oct 2013, 15:58    Post_subject:  

I found Precise based pups to be more reliable when the touchpad is turned off totally (not just clicking but all scrolling and swiping turned off too...). Maybe hardware dependent I guess.
ETP

PostPosted: Fri 25 Oct 2013, 00:40    Post_subject: Precise based issues  

Hi Ted Dog,

If I understand this correctly, you have had no end of trouble with freezes on woofed Precise based pups and backed off from downloading this one when it was pointed out that it is based on a re-master of Precise Puppy 5.6.1 (k 3.3.44).
I do not blame you!

You have also said that the problem extends to ATOM based kit and a new Acer PC. You suspect a timing issue. My own experience of Precise based pups has been positive, with Precise 5.4.3 being my favourite “go to” pup. All of the accessibility pups that I have issued have been “Precise” based and have had no issues when tested with an N570 1.66 GHz CPU. Having said that, I have always used them with either a standard wired USB mouse or a HP wireless mouse.

Your problems certainly sound like some sort of common hardware issue. I hope that someone on the forum will provide the solution.

ETP

PostPosted: Tue 05 Nov 2013, 08:33    Post_subject: Obedient Pup - (V3 Released 05th November 2013)
Sub_title: V3 adds more visually impaired features to webcam & voice control.

In addition to extra features for the visually impaired, Version 3 includes modifications to improve reliability on the voice control side of things.
Existing users of voice control are therefore advised to upgrade to this new version.

Main Changes since V2

1. The boot startup message first introduced in V2 is now itself cloud based and as previously, is both spoken and displayed.
In addition to its original function of serving to confirm that:-

a) The internet connection is working.
b) The speakers are turned on and functional.
c) The pc has booted and is ready for action.

It now also acts as a broadcast utility with its “Message of the day”. The idea is to alert the end user to new versions, pets, service packs or the availability of new features/books.
This is the revised message:

Welcome to Obedient Puppy version 3.

It includes audible cues for the blind or visually impaired to signify,

1. The start and end of both hotkey and voice mail recording periods.

2. A different tone just at the beginning of the Google voice search period.

3. Spoken assistance and tones with voice mail.

4. Voice access to all B.B.C. radio channels plus a selection of audio books.

There are no messages of the day.
    This is an extra test sentence. Not too long I hope.

Have fun! This is the hotkey sound that you will hear.

2. Version 2 introduced voice access to just the BBC World Service using the new BBC radio iPlayer. Version 3 gives access to all the B.B.C. channels listed here:

www.bbc.co.uk/radio/stations

The RADIO voice command has changed as follows:

[Tap the HOTKEY and say] “RADIO name of channel”

Example:

[Tap the HOTKEY and say] “RADIO London”

3. A new cloud based feature to display and read out a list of full length audio-books which can then be selected by keyboard, mouse or voice:

To call up the list:

[Tap the HOTKEY and say] “LIST BOOKS”

To have the list read out again:

[Tap the HOTKEY and say] “READ LIST”

To access by keyboard just type any unique word from the chosen title. The relevant link will start to wobble! Press “enter” to start that title playing in YTinstant.

To access by voice command, having only heard the titles being read out, the same hyperlink navigation technique described in the original post for the “news” is used.

If for example you wanted to listen to “Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen.”

[Tap the HOTKEY and say] “THE pride”
Or
[Tap the HOTKEY and say] “THE prejudice”

The title will then start to play automatically.

To pause playback:

[Tap the HOTKEY and say] “COFFEE”

To resume playback:

[Tap the HOTKEY and say] “RESUME”

Final Thoughts:

The locations of the ISO (346MB), release notes and setup instructions remain as detailed in the original post in this thread. Lower the retrovol volume at the earliest opportunity as frequently with audio cards it defaults to a very loud 100%.

I will add links for more full length audio-books by updating the spreadsheet that feeds into the web page list of books. If anyone has a specific request please send me a PM containing the title, author and YouTube hyperlink.

Signing off with: (Speak when you hear the tone)

[Tap the HOTKEY and say] “YOUTUBE Brook Benton Rainy Night in Georgia”
Combined_release_notes_v1_v2_v3_plus_tips.zip
Description  Combined release notes (V1+V2+V3) plus tips
zip

Download 
Filename  Combined_release_notes_v1_v2_v3_plus_tips.zip 
Filesize  32.06 KB 
Downloaded  141 Time(s) 
world_service.png
 Description   Obedient V 3 playing BBC radio iPlayer.
 Filesize   141.56 KB
 Viewed   588 Time(s)

world_service.png

mt_audio_book.JPG
 Description   Obedient V3 playing audio-book
 Filesize   50.87 KB
 Viewed   592 Time(s)

mt_audio_book.JPG

ETP

PostPosted: Sun 10 Nov 2013, 05:46    Post_subject: Obedient Pup - (V3 Released 05th November 2013)
Sub_title: Audio books / Music tracks & albums

For the benefit of anyone interested just in the audio books feature of this Pup rather than the complete Pup, this is the hyperlink to the current starter list. The second and third pages contain links to music tracks/albums. In Obedient V3 any of these lists can be read out and any item then invoked by voice.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AviVVJCd9q09dDEzWk9nNEdHcW5WaEpVeGFWZGZxT3c&output=html

Enjoy.

Edit 11th Nov - a brief overview of V3

Brief overview.

ETP

PostPosted: Thu 26 Dec 2013, 02:55    Post_subject: Obedient Pup - (V3 Released 05th November 2013)
Sub_title: Update on Obedient Pup V3

Update on Obedient Pup V3

The last week has seen a dramatic reduction in the quality of the TTS audio provided by the Chrome extension (Select and Speak 0.2.1) that is used in this Pup.

I have been in touch with www.ispeech.org regarding this and await a response. It may be that Google have made a change that they have yet to cater for. I only hope that the drop in quality is not a deliberate commercial decision intended to push users in the direction of “paid for” voices.

In any event I have a working plan B that I will deploy if need be.

ETP

PostPosted: Mon 20 Jan 2014, 14:26    Post_subject: Further update on speech quality (TTS) in Obedient Pup V3  

Further update on speech quality (TTS) in Obedient Pup V3

I have had no response from iSpeech.org regarding the reduction in quality. I am assuming that the poor quality is a global issue rather than one just effecting U.K. users.

To give you a quality benchmark here are a couple of links to actual recordings of the original quality using the cloud based startup message as an example:

(.ogg file 464 KB)

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_iVVJCd9q09aElINDg5R0hRLWs/edit?pli=1

(.wav file 7 MB)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_iVVJCd9q09QTVUTUJzYUwyV0E/edit?usp=sharing

If you have experienced a reduction in quality it can be restored by changing to the SpeakIt! 0.2.6 Chrome extension having first disabled the Select & Speak 0.2.1 extension.
The attached screenshot shows all the revised settings for both extensions.
screenshot.12.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   161.01 KB
 Viewed   368 Time(s)

screenshot.12.jpg

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 4 of 4 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot