Craig CMP741e tablet won't boot past "ANDROID" (Solved)

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
nubc

Craig CMP741e tablet won't boot past "ANDROID" (Solved)

#1 Post by nubc »

This Craig CMP741e tablet won't boot past the ANDROID splash screen. Does anyone know the key combination for booting a Craig wireless touch screen tablet to some recovery menu? There are three control buttons on top of the unit: "Power", "+" and "-". There is also a "Home" button on the front. Not to be overlooked as an input button is the touch screen itself.

In the I/O section on the side of the tablet, there is a microSD port. What kind of rescue could I perform with a microSD card? The tablet has a mini USB port, but this is the power source for charging the battery. When the USB power is connected, the tablet tries to boot and I can't turn it off with the power button. I tried to mount the device in Puppy but never could get pmount to see a USB drive (or any device).

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/cra ... 0-cpu.html
Last edited by nubc on Tue 22 Oct 2013, 22:42, edited 1 time in total.

don570

#2 Post by don570 »

Your link says that OTG is supported and that rooting is possible.
So you should be able to attach a sync cable to mini-USB
and use ADB application

That is good.

I had a problem with my tablet (Hipstreet Flare). When I tried to boot
I got a message that sdcard couldn't be accessed.

I went though the rooting proceedure again from scratch
and I found I could access the sdcard and all my data was there :lol:

I describe the procedure here.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=80819

nubc

#3 Post by nubc »

Here's the current situation. I have flashed the Craig tablet, multiple times, with software provided by the manufacturer. The flash completed, and the tablet no longer loops but, rather, hangs on the ANDROID splash screen. My equipment has improved. I have micro SD card, which I used to perform the flash (re-install Android 4.0). I am looking for suggestions on how to proceed.
1. Is this device rooted?
2. If I could get the device to boot from micro SD card, I could install Android-x86.
3. How do I get to a Menu, or Safe Mode. I read that Android has a Safe Mode, but I don't know how to access it.
4. What can be deduced from the fact that the re-installation of Android was successful, yet the device still won't boot? Bootloader problem?

All suggestions welcome.
http://www.craigelectronics.com/site/pd ... php?id=414
Last edited by nubc on Mon 21 Oct 2013, 18:35, edited 3 times in total.

Ted Dog

#4 Post by Ted Dog »

Same chipset as FatDog ARM alpha3, Craig generally has little to no boot bypass restrictions. Just got to find it, but if you already have a brick with a pulse... so give it a shot.

Also sometimes if you jump to far past the original version, you may need to flash twice.

Ted Dog

#5 Post by Ted Dog »

Are you trying a x86 (intel instruction set version of Android) on a ARM (alw-A10 )? If so there is the problem, BUT I see they did a chip set swap mid model number release.

nubc

#6 Post by nubc »

I'd like to boot an OS of some sort from the 8-GB micro SD card. Too bad there is no rescue OS for Android, like BartPE, or Windows Repair, or fsck. If I installed the original Android 4.0 multiple times, the problem must be elsewhere, such as the bootloader. If I could boot Puppy, perhaps I could run ADB from the microSD card.
Last edited by nubc on Mon 21 Oct 2013, 19:28, edited 4 times in total.

Ted Dog

#7 Post by Ted Dog »

It could also be the chipset swap, pre-A10 version of this model was 'problematic' You can also go BACK to the original version of Android.

nubc

#8 Post by nubc »

It's been suggested in more than one place that I flash the hard drive with an older version, and then upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich through Android.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5c60FZSWBY

nubc

#9 Post by nubc »

Happy to report, the tablet is now working after a proper flash with firmware provided by Craig Electronics. Using the same microSD card and flash program, I performed the flash without having the USB power cord inserted. I simply charged the unit, removed the power cord, and performed the flash, with desired results. Now, how do I turn off this tablet? There is no PowerOFF in the Settings app.

oldaolgeezer

Craig CMP741e tablet won't boot past "ANDROID"

#10 Post by oldaolgeezer »

nubc:

Since I don't have a CMP741e tablet, this may be mere babble:

I have found that several other Android tablets power off not via a software menu choice, but rather via a "long press" of their hardware power button.

A small window will come up to confirm that you really want to power off, you press "OK" to shut off the tablet.

(A "short press" of their hardware power button, puts those tablets to sleep or if they are already asleep, wakes them up.)

Hope this helps.

amigo

#11 Post by amigo »

My android tablet suspends if you do a quick press the on/off button. To turn it off, I press the on/off button for two to three seconds.

nubc

#12 Post by nubc »

There doesn't seem to be a Terminal Emulation that comes with Ice Cream Sandwich on this tablet. Is it hidden somewhere, or do I need to download it as an app? Reason I am keen to find Terminal is to use command line to shut down the tablet. That's another can of worms, because Android's command line is different. Instead of 'shutdown -r' for reboot, the wizz kidz at Google did it backwards: 'reboot -p' where p is poweroff. Shutting down with this command causes immediate cessation, such that settings are not saved and so on; in other words, an improper shutdown. I need to be able to shut down from terminal in order to preserve the Power button, which has taken a lot of abuse during the extended period when this tablet wouldn't boot at all.