Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 19 Dec 2014, 17:45
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Fatdog64-630rc1 (16 Oct 2013) [CLOSED]
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 3 of 13 [195 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..., 11, 12, 13 Next
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Fri 18 Oct 2013, 14:27    Post subject: Re: Decompression subsystem utility during system operations  

gcmartin wrote:
Reasonable.
Quote:
... the time to load a tiny file is the same as a large file ...
This would be the case especially for a RAM based system (similar for those of us running via DVDs instead of full installs) which uses RAM as an I/O device via an architected I/O subsystem.

Base2RAM removes the SFS need, once loaded, for this segment of system operations.

Also to note: AMD processors ahve a differen hardware design from Intel. Its instrution staging is based upon that design.

yes you understand this, also neat plus if ext3 block-file is copied to a harddrive, we could have a win-win type of frugal install, not really INSTALLED per say but that would free up RAM weak machines and remove the sfs problem as a bonus.
gcmartin

PostPosted: Fri 18 Oct 2013, 14:37    Post subject: Re: Decompression subsystem utility during system operations  

Quote:
... that would free up RAM weak machines and remove the sfs problem as a bonus.
The early 2006 vendor PCs are the only 64bit platforms which had merely 1GB of RAM (excepting for some 64bit netbooks). Most all other vendor desktops-laptops since had 2GB+ RAM. (this was a vendor mandated standard)

Just a note.

gcmartin

PostPosted: Fri 18 Oct 2013, 14:40    Post subject:  

Radeon in FATDOG
While there is discussion on install, setup, and use of these cards, the community seemingly can be broken into several groups:
  • Desktop only users
  • Multimedia users
  • Gaming users
  • 3D user needs
Question:
Is there anyone who is experienced enough that can setup a thread, document, or wiki which guides simple clear-cut instructions for system setup for persons falling into either of these groups?

This is, "time-permitting", after GA release of FATDOG630 and the Radeon issues are understood-addressed.

Loving this FATDOG...
Edited: Changed video to multimedia in outline

Last edited by gcmartin on Mon 21 Oct 2013, 02:19; edited 1 time in total
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Fri 18 Oct 2013, 14:46    Post subject:  

Yes and 2G is plenty large enough to try expand to ram.

2G -sfs file (200M) /2 = ~875M user RAM

same

2G - unpacked 700M /2 = ~ 700M user RAM

Which is why I wanted an auto-expand if RAM>= 10x sfs size. but no... Crying or Very sad
chapchap70

PostPosted: Fri 18 Oct 2013, 15:01    Post subject:  

Quote:
Edit: Clicking on the thunderbird icon launced the new Seamonkey 2.21. I had thunderbird set up as default email. thunderbird-spot still worked in terminal although I have to reconfigure some things.

Hmm, need to look again at that that thunderbird pet is doing. Thanks for reporting.

Hi Jamesbond. Don't go crazy looking into the Thunderbird Pet. I installed Thunderbird 24.0 myself and changed the default icon.

It turns out that I couldn't send or receive email because of the firewall (don't know why specifically) but when I turned it off than back on, sending and receiving worked.

When I opened my netbook lid back up, my arrow no longer moved and pushing the power button made my puppy bark and exit X. I put the old suspend.sh file back and renamed the one you rewrote. Maybe there is a logfile somewhere; I don't know how to figure out what exactly caused the glitch.
Gobbi

PostPosted: Fri 18 Oct 2013, 15:25    Post subject:  

Thank's for the shortcut Jamesbond Exclamation
Adding the setting blacklist=radeon from isolinux.cfg into grub made the frugal install work indeed ...
My graphic card is a Radeon HD 7870 XT (Tahiti) and 'radeon workaround' solved the initial problems in FD620 . As then , after loading the kernel everything stopped , freezing the screen after the line where it was loading the kernel modules. I think with the proper Catalyst pet everything will go fine.
I don't remember if I set the wallpaper before I closed the RAM-save... Anyway returning to default wallpaper happened only that once time. I couldn't repeat that.
I could repeat an error though : Changing the Gtk theme ( Gradent Brown ) and then from the same Gtk window changing font (bold 12) then pushed 'Apply' button and then pushed 'Ok'button gave me a black screen with the mouse pointer functioning and after 10 seconds lxpanel ( strange coloured ) appeared . No wallpaper. Restarted X and the wallpaper I've set was on the desktop.
I even repeated changing the font size from 12 to 13 and then --> Apply --> Ok --> No more wallpaper again and lxpanel issue again . Restarting X put everything in order .

A second issue : Control Panel/Desktop/Fatdog64 Event Manager. Canceling the initial 30 seconds of interval for saving , without putting a zero (0) there gives an error and an increase of CPU activity which grows if I repeat trying to acces that Event Manager from Control Panel/Desktop/ .
Previously I remember the zero (0) value was added by default even if someone forgot to put a value...
Gtk_server_err_2.jpg
Description 
jpg

Download 
Filename  Gtk_server_err_2.jpg 
Filesize  210.11 KB 
Downloaded  343 Time(s) 
Gtk_server_err_1.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   103.48 KB
 Viewed   838 Time(s)

Gtk_server_err_1.jpg

Black wallpaper - lxpanel error.png
 Description   
 Filesize   29.5 KB
 Viewed   793 Time(s)

Black wallpaper - lxpanel error.png

LateAdopter

PostPosted: Fri 18 Oct 2013, 15:40    Post subject:  

Hello kirk

Thanks for the instructions.

Quote:
You can force glamor to be used by editing /usr/X11R7/lib64/X11/xorg.conf.d/glamor.conf.

It worked, in the sense that glamor acceleration was enabled and reported in the xorg.log. But it turnout to be slower than the default method.

VLC gave lots of picture too late warnings with my test video. So I reverted to normal and there are no warnings now.

That could be why it is not enabled by default.
L18L

PostPosted: Sat 19 Oct 2013, 05:33    Post subject: Fatdog64-630rc1 (16 Oct 2013)
Subject description: no signal input

Fatdog64-610 (another xorg) was ok for my asrock AD2550-ITX board

But now no go with boot parameters:
blacklist=radeon loadmodules=gma500_gfx loglevel=7 savefile=none

last line I could read before no signal input and black screen was something containing:
drm
error

What could I do to get the exact error messages please?
kirk

PostPosted: Sat 19 Oct 2013, 19:42    Post subject:  

L18L,

Sometime when one thing gets fixed something gets broke. Take a look at http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/faqs/screen.html and see if that helps.

I've noticed that if you enable glamor, lxpanel will cause xorg to segfault. JWM does work. I'm working on an alternative.
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Sat 19 Oct 2013, 21:33    Post subject:  

Video Editor crashes and disappears on all videos at the file section stage. (granted it was being pulled from NTFS.)

Was able to use FD621 to 'fix-usb' to fat32 for FD630rc, I think the recognition of fat32 is not working, from programs that are looking for it by partition, FD621 saw that the first attempt to construct fix-usb worked in that the partition was there, but unformat, FD630rc1

Also oddly I was unable to change the permissions as root even when root owner/group on a file on said fat32 yet I could copy it fine.

Have my testing box set back up, so I can try burning a few bluerays/DVD multisessions later this weekend.
L18L

PostPosted: Sun 20 Oct 2013, 10:38    Post subject: Fatdog64-630rc1 (16 Oct 2013)
Subject description: blanc screen

kirk wrote:
Take a look at http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/faqs/screen.html and see if that helps.

kirk,
thanks for the link.
I have been trying some boot parameters but without success again.

The last words which I was able to read on the screen were Error and Driver
..then no input signal (message of my monitor) and black screen.

May I suggest you put into the next rc
loglevel=9: writes log to /dev/sda1
so the log can be read after such issues.

Thanks in advance
kirk

PostPosted: Sun 20 Oct 2013, 16:11    Post subject:  

L18L,

Could you try booting with pfix=nox and when/if you get to a terminal type:

xwin jwm

And see if that brings up a desktop. There's an issue with lxpanel if glamor gets enabled.

Ted Dog,

Quote:
Video Editor crashes and disappears on all videos at the file section stage. (granted it was being pulled from NTFS.)

Is this when you try to encode your edited video?
What type of source video? (flv,avi,....)
What type of video are you trying to encode to?
Was the output to NTFS?
Do you have a link to a video that causes a crash?

Thanks guys.

James will be off line for few days and I'm always slow Smile. Your patience is appreciated.
L18L

PostPosted: Mon 21 Oct 2013, 09:43    Post subject: no terminal  

kirk wrote:
Could you try booting with pfix=nox and when/if you get to a terminal type:
Never got a terminal.

pfix=nox savefile=none
last thing I could see was :not using savefile

pfix=nox savefile=none loglevel=7
last thing I could see was: [ messages which I am used to see from dmesg command ] error ... video ...
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Mon 21 Oct 2013, 11:09    Post subject:  

lid close on laptop drains battery quickly (12-15hrs), did not see that in FD621 lid down for a day or day half.

on video editor, since it never loaded any thing I could not test beyond selecting file and seeing a brief message on the status line before it vanished, I'll give it a shot later, without base2ram=expand. It may slowdown the time before it disappears to read status.
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Tue 22 Oct 2013, 10:16    Post subject: spot user killing CPUs  

Pug in contaner is using 60% cpu run as user spot taking 90+Megs and growing , after using FD631rc1 for days, system is freezing and barely able to type. multiple dbus deamons dups one of each type being created/distroied recreated by both spot and root. system my crash will try to get screen prints.
Page 3 of 13 [195 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..., 11, 12, 13 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: