Android-x86 developments and issues

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
jpeps

#41 Post by jpeps »

gcmartin wrote:
What you may pay attention to is how they demonstrate touch use to you. (Most elderly people "completely miss" the understanding of the "BACK" button, thus leading to some frustration. There is ONLY back....not forward ability, per se.
Since devices generally use only one screen (activity) at a time, the previous screen is usually dormant and can be brought to the front (made active) simply by closing out of the present screen. The developer has the option of closing previous activities when the new screen (activity) is loaded.

note: some devices, like the Samsung Note, have adopted the more familiar multi-windows approach, which will require writing apps in a different way.

amigo

#42 Post by amigo »

Yes, 'normal' android is not multi-tasking. Only the top-most app is running, while ones below are 'cached'.

gcmartin

#43 Post by gcmartin »

Thx
...(click the 3 dots top right of screen)
Yes, This item on screen BOTH in X86 (Android) and xPhone/xTab/xTV for version 4.3+ in known as the the "Overflow" button. This is available to developers to signal additional stuff not on-screen. Thus, users discover this as their use expands in Android 4.x+ implementations of applications. Expect that this is how future (at least for the near-term) applications will exhibit. Those applications not exhibiting this was developed by developers who are still unaware of how to implement it.
... Only the top-most app is running, while ones below are 'cached'
Yes. AND, Additional changes are afoot in the base OS. Noticed side by side implementation in such devices as xTV as a visual indication. The "stack" is undergoing changes as versions move forward and newer CPU-RAM chipsets are becoming available.

Anyone else noticed the EXPANSION this week of xSmart device advertising in both print and multimedia? The public push is on!

Edit: 1 word typo
Last edited by gcmartin on Fri 18 Oct 2013, 07:14, edited 1 time in total.

jpeps

#44 Post by jpeps »

amigo wrote:Yes, 'normal' android is not multi-tasking. Only the top-most app is running, while ones below are 'cached'.
Yes, although this is largely a windows management issue, since you can have any number of apps running in the backround if you simply return to the home screen without closing them out. Thus, they'll be right where you left off when you return.
gcmartin wrote: Expect that this is how future (at least for the near-term) applications will exhibit. Those applications not exhibiting this was developed by developers who are still unaware of how to implement it.
:) Developers typically write layouts for both landscape and portrait modes, so probably understand how to implement.

amigo

#45 Post by amigo »

"apps running in the backround" is not acurate at this time -the apps are cached which means their state is saved and can be immediately restored by bringing the app to the 'foreground'. This is not the same as multi-tasking, because an android app which is backgrounded is not 'running'.

gcmartin

#46 Post by gcmartin »

This is offered as a position of clarity in language. The apps that are lower on the stack ARE in the background, but their listeners are still active as well as updates that occur in listener events are still occurring. Thus a background app is stil active, per se, just not in the foreground. This is one difference between Android and IOS. So when an app is moved from its run state to its PAUSE state, if designed, it will save state information with its listeners active while waiting for it to be repositioned to the top of the stack.(I think you are all meaning the same thnig,though)

The newer FRAGMENT approaches in application design has brought additional options to applications than was initially conceived. Here is one area where developers now need to redesign old applications to take advantage of this new framework.

And YES, Android can be thought of as a single stack version of Linux. ... currently.

jpeps

#47 Post by jpeps »

amigo wrote:"apps running in the backround" is not acurate at this time -the apps are cached which means their state is saved and can be immediately restored by bringing the app to the 'foreground'. This is not the same as multi-tasking, because an android app which is backgrounded is not 'running'.
If you look in settings/apps/running you'll see a list of all apps that are "running." It's not a bad idea to install an apps manager to increase battery time.

edit: Android actually manages RAM, prioritizing what to keep running (i.e, system over 3rd party apps). Lots going on beneath the surface...
gcmartin wrote: The newer FRAGMENT approaches in application design has brought additional options to applications than was initially conceived. Here is one area where developers now need to redesign old applications to take advantage of this new framework.
I think it would be hard to find an app that doesn't adapt to screensize (e.g, portrait vs landscape). You can imagine the reviews if it didn't. The FRAGMENT class is what's used.

nubc

#48 Post by nubc »

I was able to reboot the eeePC from command line with

Code: Select all

su
reboot
However, the command for shutdown is not so straightforward in Android. It seems coders at Google have done things conversely. Instead of the Unix/Linux command 'shutdown -r' for reboot, you have 'reboot -p' ,where p is power off, in Android. This command causes an immediate cessation of activity, resulting in improper shutdown because there wasn't time to save settings. A workaround is to insert a delay, but how exact/efficient could this be?

su
reboot -d 8 -p
The above shutdown command probably doesn't work. I'll correct it when I determine the right code. I should point out that you don't really need to shutdown from command line because Power Off is available in the Settings app. On the other hand, you do need the command line for Reboot, which is not available in Settings.

jpeps

#49 Post by jpeps »

nubc wrote:I was able to reboot the eeePC from command line with

su
reboot
However, the command for shutdown is not so straightforward in Android. It seems coders at Google have done things conversely. Instead of the Unix/Linux command 'shutdown -r' for reboot, you have 'reboot -p' ,where p is power off, in Android. This command causes an immediate cessation of activity, resulting in improper shutdown because there wasn't time to save settings. A workaround is to insert a delay, but how exact/efficient could this be?
I think you're forgetting that your basically running an emulator. Android is build for devices using a touchscreen. There can be a number of apps running in pause mode at any time. You don't generally "reboot" a device very often, and when you do, it shuts down the apps quite nicely. You don't use keyboard shortcuts to reboot...you hold down a button...Okay??

nubc

#50 Post by nubc »

I don't want to discourage your valuable input, jpeps, but the goal of the Android-x86 project is: "To provide complete solution for Android on Eee PC platforms first and then to provide solutions for common x86 platforms as well." I am considering purchasing a refurbished Craig CLP285 Netbook, which runs Android 4.1 (factory). That's two devices running Android with touchpad instead of touchscreen. I am concerned about my Craig tablet, as it took many many tries to get it to operate properly. I gave the power button a real workout, and I was not the first owner to do so. If and when the power button breaks, the device will be useless, primarily because it's not worth fixing. That's why I am interested in finding a command line solution to shutting it down, to spare the power button any more wear and tear (fatigue). It's enough to use the power button to turn the tablet on.

Ten basic Android terminal commands you should know
http://www.androidcentral.com/android-2 ... hould-know
Last edited by nubc on Fri 25 Oct 2013, 21:39, edited 2 times in total.

jpeps

#51 Post by jpeps »

nubc wrote: I am concerned about my Craig tablet, as it took many many tries to get it to operate properly. I gave the power button a real workout, and I was not the first owner to do so
I wouldn't be blaming Google coders

"The build is very plastic and toy-like. Would be good for a child, but I guess it would soon be broken. Out of the box, the charging USB cable did not work. I had to use another cable I had to charge it."

jpeps

#52 Post by jpeps »

nubc wrote:
Ten basic Android terminal commands you should know
http://www.androidcentral.com/android-2 ... hould-know
I'm not sure you understand that this is the Android Toolkit that gets installed on the PC you plug your device into to run various functions like rooting the device.

nubc

#53 Post by nubc »

It's a rich link, for example, this: Android SDK (Software Development Kit)
http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

Yes, ADB is a subject I have checked out:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 966#662966

New personal project: I'm reading that the Craig CMP741e tablet is so hobbled in its capabilities that it's necessary to root it, just to get it to download. So I'll be looking into rooting in the near future.

Today I purchased a Craig CLP285 netbook, running Jelly Bean 4.1 (which shuts down from the Power button). Paid a little too much, but it was cheap enough, $50, about $10 more than it's worth (opinion). Thing is, it's not like Android-x86 on eeePC which sees my local LAN hardwire. I hooked up a Linksys USB network adapter (hardwire) to the CLP285 tablet and didn't see a way to connect. (Didn't even see a light on the adapter.) I don't currently have a wireless home network set up. What's the encryption standard these days, WPA2? Do I have to download an app to get this netbook to see a wired connection?

Mobile OS Market Share (USA)
Android 51.6 %
iOS 40.7 %
Blackberry 4.0 %
Windows 3.2 %

News item: Ballmer is leaving MS in a re-organization redressing MS's slow adaptation to mobile technology.
Last edited by nubc on Thu 31 Oct 2013, 15:21, edited 1 time in total.

nubc

#54 Post by nubc »

I'm having a problem connecting this Craig CLP285 Netbook to internet via wired ethernet. I have tried 3 or 4 brands of USB-to-RJ45 ethernet adapter. The only adapter to respond was a Prestige USB Adapter. The light on the Prestige adapter came on, and also an extra row of lights on my Linksys router, indicating an active connection. However, no Ethernet connection showed up in Settngs > Network > More. Apparently, Android does not readily detect a USB-to-RJ45 adapter. My Linksys USB adapters were completely unresponsive, which rarely happens in Windows or Linux. Regarding the Prestige USB Adapter, what does the terminology "USB to fast ethernet adapter" mean as far as speed in concerned? (10 or 10/100?) Another issue I encountered was that, when any USB ethernet adapter was connected, once I moved from Home page to Apps, the touchpad (and button clickers) became unresponsive enough to get a warning message from Android, asking if I want to continue. If I have to install a driver for this Prestige USB Adapter, I assume I would have to compile Android to make it work, which probably brings up the issue of rooting. There are already some specialty brands of USB-to-RJ45 ethernet adapter that are more or less designed to work for most Android devices. Reportedly, some tablet manufacturers intentionally remove ethernet drivers from Android. Another problem is that I don't have a Terminal Emulation app on the CLP285 Netbook. Any recommendations?

Here's what I know about the ZyXEL Prestige 401a USB to Fast Ethernet Adapter. The hardware string looks like

USB/VID_0586&PID_401A/2103
Windows XP, July 2005

How to set up USB ethernet/LAN adapter on Mini PC (video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrJ_X82bRoA

gcmartin

Android on a touch x86 system

#55 Post by gcmartin »

Android is an OS which intends to be operational on a Touch enabled device. Its design is NOT aimed at General purpose as we have come to know it.

Has anyone tried to duplicate Android x86 on a "Touch" PC in this community?

starhawk

#56 Post by starhawk »

Last I looked at Android x86 they had disabled touch functionality, although that was quite a while ago...

nubc

#57 Post by nubc »

If this gets any more complicated, I'll start a new thread. I am trying to set up a wireless network to put the Craig netbook online (in order to download a Terminal app). I have reset the wireless router Linksys WRT54GS, after which the device finds IP address and then says it's connected in Settings >WiFi & Network >linksys. However, the netbook browser does not connect for some reason. Same is true for my eeePC running Android-x86 4.0. So is there something obvious I am leaving out in reconfiguring the wireless router after Reset? Oh, one more important fact: I am connecting the wireless router through one outlet on my Linksys wired router BEFSR41. Any idea what is preventing the browser from going online? Open to suggestions....

jpeps

#58 Post by jpeps »

nubc wrote:If this gets any more complicated, I'll start a new thread. I am trying to set up a wireless network to put the Craig netbook online (in order to download a Terminal app). I have reset the wireless router Linksys WRT54GS, after which the device finds IP address and then says it's connected in Settings >WiFi & Network >linksys. However, the netbook browser does not connect for some reason. Same is true for my eeePC running Android-x86 4.0. So is there something obvious I am leaving out in reconfiguring the wireless router after Reset? Oh, one more important fact: I am connecting the wireless router through one outlet on my Linksys wired router BEFSR41. Any idea what is preventing the browser from going online? Open to suggestions....
1.0 out of 5 stars Craig doesn't even give you what you pay for.
For $80 I would expect at least an operational computer, however this Craig 7-inch netbook cannot even maintain an Internet connection to either of the wireless routers I attempted to connect to. It streams data for all of 15 seconds before dropping the connection and telling me that the router is "out of range," which of course is rubbish in each instance. The keyboard...
...must be the coders at Google :lol:

nubc

#59 Post by nubc »

jpeps,
If what you are suggesting is the case, that the Craig netbook (10" screen, 1.5 GHz processor, 1 GB ram) is a POS, then the Asus eeePC would be able to connect when the Craig netbook is not be able to. Since both cannot connect via the browser, I can't agree with your suggestion, but I do get your drift. The problem is more likely a configuration issue, based on the evidence. Probably something very simple.
Last edited by nubc on Mon 28 Oct 2013, 21:38, edited 1 time in total.

starhawk

#60 Post by starhawk »

Probably has to do with encryption. Try Open (no encryption). If that works proceed to WEP, then WPA, then WPA2. Wherever it stops working, there's your problem.