Fatdog64-630rc1 (16 Oct 2013) [CLOSED]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
fatdog

Fatdog64-630rc1 (16 Oct 2013) [CLOSED]

#1 Post by fatdog »

UPDATE: rc1 testing is over, 630rc2 is released.

----

Kirk and James are happy to announce Fatdog64-630rc1. This a continuation of the 600 series with package updates, some new features, and bug fixes.

You can read the 621 release notes here.

Changes from 621:

Updates:
* Default dpi is now set to 96, font size reduced from 12 to 10 to maintain similar appearance to previous versions
* freetype 2.5.0.1, now with Adobe CFF hinting
* gptfdisk updated to 0.8.6
* Enable suspend with mounted usb drive.
* Linux 3.11.4 with lxc support (no USER_NS), with support for the new radeon dynamic power management (dpm).
* Structure of lxpanel menu entries reverted to puppy's.
* Important multisession and usb-flash fix for certain scenarios where deleted files re-appear or saved files appears missing.
* Correct PATH_TRANSLATED for mongoose
* busybox updated to 1.22-git (2 July 2013)
* Seamonkey 2.21 with calendar
* glamor-100913
* libdrm-2.4.46
* libvdpau-0.7 (Moved to pet package vdpau-630.pet)
* libX11-1.6.2
* libxcb-1.9.1
* MesaLib-9.2.1
* xf86-input-evdev-2.8.1
* xf86-input-keyboard-1.7.0
* xf86-input-mouse-1.9.0
* xf86-input-synaptics-1.7.1
* xf86-input-wacom-0.22.1
* xf86-video-ati-7.2.0
* xf86-video-intel-2.21.15
* xf86-video-modesetting-0.8.0
* xf86-video-nouveau-1.0.9
* xf86-video-vesa-2.3.3
* Flash player 11.2.202.310
* Wpa_supplicant & Wpa_gui (patched) 09-08-13 git
* libaacs-092513
* libbluray-092513
* libdvdcss-1.2.13
* libvpx-092613
* libxvid-1.3.2
* VLC-2.0.8a w/Live555 support. (Live555 is a pet package.)
* Full version of GNU cpio
* dvdrw patched with debian patched to support large capacity bluray burning -- thanks rcrsn51!
* Peasydisc updated to 1.8 (thanks rcrsn51).

New Features:
* Multiple sandboxes can run at the same time.
* experimental LXC-based sandboxes (requires lxc pet package from repository)
* add ttyrec 1.0.8 (tty recorder), an enhanced version of "script"
* add htop 1.0.2
* GPT support for Fatdog Installer (only for BIOS systems, not for UEFI!)
* System hardware clock (hwclock) can be configured inn localtime or utc.
* base2ram=expand parameter to expand basesfs before loading in RAM
* Add cpulimit (command line utility to limit cpu usage for a process.)
* Wpa_gui now has a check box for "select any network". If you uncheck this box and want it remembered for next boot, you will need to go to File-Save-Configuration.
* Shotcut replaces Avidemux, a much better video editor. Note that there are no effects yet.

and numerous bug fixes.

You can get it here:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/

Make sure to use a new savefile or save folder while testing. Also note that there are no Nvidia or ATI proprietary video drivers yet. These will come with 630 final, the kernel will be updated again before final.

Image[/url]

--------

UPDATE on radeon power management:

Update: this release comes with kernel 3.11.r which comes with improved power management support for radeon cards; for more details please see this post from the radeon developer himself. This support is enabled by default, however the strategy is left at the default as "balanced".

If you're on a laptop and want to maximise battery life (as well as running cooler), you can change the power_dpm_state and power_dpm_force_performance_level as described int the blog post above; or alternatively use the attached script to set the power-level to "low", "auto", or "high" (=as in, high performance + high temperature + high power = less battery life). Personally I find that the 'low' level, my laptop now runs much cooler - reaching the levels previously only achievable when using Catalyst.

----

UPDATE on vdpau

vdpau is a framework for video acceleration, promoted for years by nvidia but has only been recently adopted by other GPU drivers like amd and intel. 630rc1 comes with VDPAU support for intel and amd but it is not included in the main iso because of the size (about 12MB compressed) - it is available on the package repo. If your flash video is stuttering and/or the laptop is getting hot when playing flash video, try installing vdpau pet package, it may help.
Attachments
radeon-dpm.sh.gz
gunzip then chmod +x
(254 Bytes) Downloaded 1410 times
Last edited by fatdog on Tue 24 Dec 2013, 03:07, edited 4 times in total.
-= The Fatdog Team (kirk, jamesbond, SFR and step) =-
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=794748#794748]Contributed Fatdog64 packages thread[/url]
This account is used for announcements only. Send PM directly to members' handle.

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

PeasyDisc has been bumped to v2.0 here.

rcrsn51

#3 Post by rcrsn51 »

PeasyPDF is in both the Graphic and Document menus.

Peasyscan v2.5 for Fatdog is attached below.

Could you change the default viewer for PNG files to Fotoxx instead of Gimp?
Attachments
peasyscan_fd600-2.5.pet
(46.05 KiB) Downloaded 1151 times

Ted Dog

#4 Post by Ted Dog »

Yeah, I was biting at the bit, trying to keep myself from begging for this....

The fat carrot I was going to bait you now is saved for another day. :lol:

Ted Dog

#5 Post by Ted Dog »

Oh the POV-ray request for ARM, I did compile POVray for the FD64-621 and it was just configure,make,make install took 4 minutes after decompression from bz2.
Now I'm going to be distracted from ARM 'testing' for a while... so no rush on that other request.

Ted Dog

#6 Post by Ted Dog »

rcrsn51 wrote:PeasyPDF is in both the Graphic and Document menus.

+1, but rcrsn51 try expand RAM option and THEN load gimp, It's fun, trust me :wink:

Billtoo

Fatdog64-630rc1

#7 Post by Billtoo »

I installed to an 8gb SDHC with the fatdog installer.

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Thu 17 Oct 2013 on Fatdog64 630 Linux 3.11.4 x86_64
0.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Device 6611
oem: AMD ATOMBIOS
product: OLAND 01.00
X Server: Xorg Driver: radeon
X.Org version: 1.12.4
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (508x285 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.0, 128 bits)
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 9.2.1
Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Device 6611 (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
# glxgears
11259 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2251.299 FPS
11332 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2266.369 FPS
11332 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2266.398 FPS

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Core 0: @800 1: @800 2: @800 3: @800 4: @800 5: @800 6: @800 7: @800 MHz

Memory 12260MB (241MB used)

I tried to install the proprietary ati driver, the first one (13.4 I
think) gave a card not supported message when I tried to install it,
the beta driver compiled okay but after doing aticonfig --initial and
rebooting x wouldn't start, xorgwizard showed no fglrx selection so I
gave up and removed it.

That's it so far.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(63.39 KiB) Downloaded 7918 times

fatdog

#8 Post by fatdog »

rcrsn51 wrote:Could you change the default viewer for PNG files to
Fotoxx instead of Gimp?
Will do.
Billtoo wrote:I tried to install the proprietary ati driver, the first one (13.4 I
think) gave a card not supported message when I tried to install it,
the beta driver compiled okay but after doing aticonfig --initial and
rebooting x wouldn't start, xorgwizard showed no fglrx selection so I
gave up and removed it.
The Catalyst driver is somewhat in disarray; 13.4 is rather old and won't work with newer cards, but the latest beta doesn't work at all. This is true even with older kernels (tried this with 3.8.7 and 3.9.4), so we'll just have to wait for AMD to release an updated driver.

Meanwhile, please try the script I posted in the first post (radeon-dpm.sh); if you're after higher performance then set it to "high". Otherwise set it to "low" or even "auto" if you wish. If you could do a comparison between these levels it would be appreciated, so we can decide on what power levels we want to ship on the next release. I have done my own tests and the result is inconclusive (ie I don't see much difference in terms of performance, but I do see a lot of difference in power savings). May as well compare with 621 release running with Catalyst.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=794748#794748]Contributed Fatdog64 packages thread[/url]
This account is used for announcements only. Send PM directly to members' handle.

LateAdopter

#9 Post by LateAdopter »

Hello kirk & jamesbond

Thank you for this new fatdog.

When I was doing my initial setup there were a few glitches that i have not had before. They have not happened again, so it is only for info in case it is significant to you.

Note: I run puppies from a FAT32 partition.

After I had done the initial setup and created the savefile, the next time I started Win2k it complained about the state of the puppy partition and ran the disk check.

I was copying some files from the partition to /usr/bin. When I copied the TurionPowerControl binary I got a couple of error boxes saying: "Group 3 is not set..." When I copied some of my xrandr little scripts there was no error.

On one boot there was a kernel panic in init, but it has not happened again in quite a few boots.

I'll put my analysis of DPM and RS780/RS880 in a separate post.

Thanks again!

fatdog

#10 Post by fatdog »

LateAdopter wrote:Thank you for this new fatdog.
Thank you for testing.
Note: I run puppies from a FAT32 partition.

After I had done the initial setup and created the savefile, the next time I started Win2k it complained about the state of the puppy partition and ran the disk check.
Fatdog usually umounts the partition cleanly - except perhaps for the first time, when a savefile is created, and even this is rare (definitely not happening on ext2/3/4). The mechanism hasn't changed since the first 600 release, so yeah that's a bit odd. Kernel 3.11 however does bring changes in aufs layering; so perhaps there are one or two scripts that haven't been updated that cause this. Please do let me know if this happens again.
I was copying some files from the partition to /usr/bin. When I copied the TurionPowerControl binary I got a couple of error boxes saying: "Group 3 is not set..." When I copied some of my xrandr little scripts there was no error.
That message comes from Rox, usually happen if you accidentally press the number key (e.g 3 or 4 or 5) on Rox window.
On one boot there was a kernel panic in init, but it has not happened again in quite a few boots.
. Hopefully this isn't 3.11 regression. Do let us know if it happens again, and whether it is related to anything (e.g. rebooting while connected to samba shares, etc).
I'll put my analysis of DPM and RS780/RS880 in a separate post.
Thank you. I forgot to note two things:
a) "auto" setting is the default setting you get after you boot
b) the settings are not persistent across reboots; they have to set every time (if you want anything other than "auto").

fatdog

#11 Post by fatdog »

rcrsn51 wrote:PeasyPDF is in both the Graphic and Document menus.
On purpose because of the nature of PeasyPDF (converting graphics to document)
Thank you; this and Peasydisc 2.0 is now included for next release.
Done.

LateAdopter

#12 Post by LateAdopter »

Hello jamesbond

I have been testing DPM on my RS880G and, as far as I can test, it doesn't seem to do anything but behave the same as power_profile - low.
(You had me fooled for a bit by enabling DPM via radeon-dpm.conf, but I disabled that so I can boot either mode)

Alex Deucher (agd5f) generally says that DPM should be similar to fglrx, but it's not.

There was a bug raised here, but the response was pretty vague.

http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-driver ... 24941.html

My BIOS only has one performance level "performance" which has two P-states.

power_profile low or mid give me the lower one, and default or high give me the higher one

In terms of Fatdog I get the following, wallplug power at idle

35W fglrx (fatdog 610)

39W r600g low power profile

41W r600g high power profile

39W r600g dpm

40W/30W win2k

(in win2k it has two states: initially it drops to 40W then, after a few seconds it drops to 30W. In the 30W state it can still modify the display a bit e.g. scroll this window by clicking on the up or down arrows. Anything more makes it jump up again.)

I tried the power_dpm_force_performance_level switch but it has no effect. The idle power stays at 39W whether I set low, high or auto

There is a debugfs entry radeon_pm_info that should report the P-state, but I guess that debugfs is not enabled in Fatdog because the path /sys/kernel/debug does not exist.

Can I enable debugfs or is it something you have to do when you build the kernel?

My conclusion is the DPM may not be working at all on RS780/RS880

From the fglrx and win2k results, I speculate that the GPU must have some C-states with clock gating that are not invoked by DPM.

Also forcing the P-state does not do anything.

I don't have any application that I know would stress the GPU. Is there anything I can run on Fatdog that would definitely raise the P-state, if it could?

When the UVD/VDPAU support was first announced on 2nd April it was such a surprise that some people thought it was an April Fool joke.

Six months later UVD 2.0 - 2.2 is still not working, but it does in fglrx.
DPM is not working but it does in fglrx

I think they may have been right!

But I mainly use Fatdog for Video playback and fglrx is no good for that because it lacks 2d accelerated rendering.

I hope this analysis is useful to people with RS780/RS880 laptops who can't tell, as easily, what is happening.

01micko

#13 Post by 01micko »

@ Billtoo, jamesbond and others interested in the fglrx driver. I managed to build them ok (legacy too) on 3.10x (amd_driver-13.15-BETA-catalyst-3.10.5-PAE) for slacko and the magic is from this guy, Krzysztof Kolasa. Be warned though, he only offers a patch for the kernel driver itself, so it's a convoluted process of extracting the source, patching and rebuilding and hoping. Seems to work though, naturally some trial and error is involved.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

fatdog

#14 Post by fatdog »

Can I enable debugfs or is it something you have to do when you build the kernel?
Has to be done with the kernel build. James already has it on the todo list. We'll grab the latest 3.11.x kernel for final. Thanks for all the feedback LateAdopter.

01micko, Thanks for the link. Once we build the kernel for final, we'll begin the "fun" of making the Nvidia and ATI pets. The ATI pets are always a pain.

rcrsn51

#15 Post by rcrsn51 »

I have had several episodes where the full set of drive icons did not display at bootup. Running Redraw Icons fixed it.

This is an old HP Athlon machine with Radeon graphics.

I don't recall ever seeing this in other Fatdogs.

Billtoo

#16 Post by Billtoo »

fatdog wrote: Meanwhile, please try the script I posted in the first post (radeon-dpm.sh); if you're after higher performance then set it to "high". Otherwise set it to "low" or even "auto" if you wish. If you could do a comparison between these levels it would be appreciated, so we can decide on what power levels we want to ship on the next release. I have done my own tests and the result is inconclusive (ie I don't see much difference in terms of performance, but I do see a lot of difference in power savings). May as well compare with 621 release running with Catalyst.
Here's what hardinfo in Ubuntu 13.10 shows if that's helpful:
Display
Resolution 1920x1080 pixels
Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Version 1.14.3
Monitors
Monitor 0 1920x1080 pixels
OpenGL
Vendor Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Renderer AMD Radeon HD 8500 Series
Version 4.2.12337 Compatibility Profile Context 13.101
Direct Rendering Yes
bill~$ glxgears
47180 frames in 5.0 seconds = 9435.955 FPS
47671 frames in 5.0 seconds = 9534.074 FPS
47641 frames in 5.0 seconds = 9528.017 FPS
bill~$
I'll try running the script when I get back in fatdog64

EDIT:
I get an error when I run the script:
# sh radeon-dpm.sh
radeon-dpm.sh: line 15: echo: write error: Invalid argument
radeon-dpm.sh: line 16: echo: write error: Invalid argument
#

Ted Dog

#17 Post by Ted Dog »

Yes something is happening at a lower device level that is effecting Fat32 most, but gparted can't 'see' USB when ISO DD and fix-usb script in iso root directory is attempted.
I reused a slow 2G USB that was setup by a prior puppylinux, it worked but multisession savefile FAILURE occurred so I zeroed the first 100M or so and tried again, got worse, zeroed full device and tried a third time, nothing can see drive that it booted from, can't edit partiton table cfdisk refuses, gparted see's an unformatted drive., but icons are on the desktop.
Hope that helps, a prior used 'fixed' USB works mostly (FAT32 ms fails) but attempts to get a fresh start is unworkable. Will try to reset up this USB after booting the FD621 or 620 and see if its just a 'Old' USB near end of life.

LateAdopter

#18 Post by LateAdopter »

Hello kirk & jamesbond

Some more evidence that DPM doesn't work on RS780/RS880

I ran the GPU Drawing benchmark from Hardinfo.

5640 - default/high power_profile
3694 - low/mid power_profile
1977 - DPM

Also there were noticeable streaks outside of the window with DPM

jamesbond

#19 Post by jamesbond »

rcrsn51 wrote:I have had several episodes where the full set of drive icons did not display at bootup. Running Redraw Icons fixed it.

This is an old HP Athlon machine with Radeon graphics.

I don't recall ever seeing this in other Fatdogs.
If this happens when you're using a savefile, then this is a known problem.
I think I'm close to fixing it; for the time being just use event manager and increase the "startup delay" value.
Billtoo wrote: EDIT:
I get an error when I run the script:
# sh radeon-dpm.sh
radeon-dpm.sh: line 15: echo: write error: Invalid argument
radeon-dpm.sh: line 16: echo: write error: Invalid argument
#
You need to specify "high" or "low" or "auto":

Code: Select all

sh radeon-dmp.sh low
change "low" to "high" or "auto" as needed.
Interesting that your FPS in Ubuntu is 4x Fatdog :(
Perhaps Ubuntu doesn't use DPM; you can disable dpm by removing /etc/modprobe.d/radeon-dpm.conf
(this is what LateAdopter did).
LateAdopter wrote:Hello kirk & jamesbond

Some more evidence that DPM doesn't work on RS780/RS880

I ran the GPU Drawing benchmark from Hardinfo.

5640 - default/high power_profile
3694 - low/mid power_profile
1977 - DPM

Also there were noticeable streaks outside of the window with DPM
Thanks for testing.

The result is interesting; have you tried to run the same test after enabling the "high" setting of DPM? Does the number improve?
The default setting is "auto" which means it is supposed to detect the load and/or decide
whether the machine is running on battery/ac and set the GPU clock accordingly, but perhaps this isn't working properly.

Just to be clear however, our main motivation to go with DPM is the lower-power usage and cooler operation - mainly on laptops.
I don't have power meter so I use the temperature readings for that.

In previous kernels I can't get the temp below 65degrees when using radeon; with fglrx the temp usually hovers around 50degrees.
With this DPM, and with the "low" settings; my temp is hovering around 52degrees - something which is more or less confirms your finding
(fglrx hovers around 35W, DPM around 39W). What I can't replicate on my laptop is your finding that the "low" power profile gives out 39W too, for me the "profile" method never works and I always end up with the "high" profile.

Your result shows that somehow the result is not consistent across different cards (mine is dual-radeon - the IGP is evergreen, the discrete is northern islands). Billtoo's one is Southern Islands.

Ted Dog, your case is odd. Have you tried with another flash drive and do you encounter the same problem? Usually clearing the first 100MB should make the flash back into clean slate.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Billtoo

#20 Post by Billtoo »

jamesbond wrote: You need to specify "high" or "low" or "auto":

Code: Select all

sh radeon-dmp.sh low
change "low" to "high" or "auto" as needed.
Interesting that your FPS in Ubuntu is 4x Fatdog :(
Perhaps Ubuntu doesn't use DPM; you can disable dpm by removing /etc/modprobe.d/radeon-dpm.conf
(this is what LateAdopter did).
# sh radeon-dpm.sh low
maximum battery life
# glxgears
3158 frames in 5.0 seconds = 631.550 FPS
3000 frames in 5.0 seconds = 599.816 FPS
4787 frames in 5.0 seconds = 957.330 FPS
9103 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1820.146 FPS
6387 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1277.354 FPS
#
# sh radeon-dpm.sh auto
automatic performance control