X-Slacko-4.4 with Xfce

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
OscarTalks

#61 Post by OscarTalks »

When I was experimenting with a Chromium package a while back I did look at the possibilty of including a copy of those libs within the Chromium package. This was around the time when BK seemed to be considering releasing Precise without Seamonkey.

It does work and it does mean that Chromium will still work even if a user completely removes Seamonkey or Firefox.

In the end I didn't do this, mainly because BK kept Seamonkey in Precise. It does increase the Chromium package size of course, though not by much as a percentage, however in the majority of cases it would mean that the libs would be duplicated unnecessarily. Might be worth looking at the idea again though as it would make Chromium (or Chrome) more "standalone".
Oscar in England

peebee

#62 Post by peebee »

In this case, the libs are installed - just not in the "right place" for Chromium to use.

I have a 1.4MB pet of Seamonkey libs that I made some time ago which when installed on xslacko1.1 makes chromium29 work.

I can upload it if needed.

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Deacon

#63 Post by Deacon »

peebee wrote:In this case, the libs are installed - just not in the "right place" for Chromium to use.

I have a 1.4MB pet of Seamonkey libs that I made some time ago which when installed on xslacko1.1 makes chromium29 work.

I can upload it if needed.

Cheers
peebee
Much appreciated! I'm trying a Chrome package as well. I am curious as to why I just can't move the file into the directory; I assume it needs to be repackaged.

Sage

#64 Post by Sage »

Got the James & co. 'unable to contact X-server' message on my XPs of all flavours with many Radeon and nV cards, all video options. This must be a simple error somewhere because all Puppies, all video cards, etc work, even PAE versions, on these most reliable and flexible old chips. As an ardent Xfce fan, confirm that nearly (excepting gross memory complement demanders) all other Xfce distros, even Xbuntu, work on the old XP chips. No plans to not continue using XP testbeds, so a fix would be most valuable. Maybe one of the regular compiler-guys or the maestro himself can finger the issue? Not worth sacrificing this great project for such an (elementary?) failure. How did Lighthouses and NOPs, for example, achieve working Xfces? Sadly, coding, as most folks well know, is not my bag.

rg66

#65 Post by rg66 »

@ Deacon and peebee

I put Firefox in /opt because that's for "optional" apps, Qt and LibreOffice go there so I'm not sure why FF and Seamonkey end up in /usr/lib.

You could try making a symlink to /opt/firefox in /usr/lib and see if that works or, you could move the firefox folder to /usr/lib and make a new firefox symlink in /usr/bin.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

rg66

#66 Post by rg66 »

Sage wrote:Got the James & co. 'unable to contact X-server' message on my XPs of all flavours with many Radeon and nV cards, all video options. This must be a simple error somewhere because all Puppies, all video cards, etc work, even PAE versions, on these most reliable and flexible old chips. As an ardent Xfce fan, confirm that nearly (excepting gross memory complement demanders) all other Xfce distros, even Xbuntu, work on the old XP chips. No plans to not continue using XP testbeds, so a fix would be most valuable. Maybe one of the regular compiler-guys or the maestro himself can finger the issue? Not worth sacrificing this great project for such an (elementary?) failure. How did Lighthouses and NOPs, for example, achieve working Xfces? Sadly, coding, as most folks well know, is not my bag.
I believe it's a dbus issue, why it's only a problem with P3 and Athlons is beyond me.

I do have plans to try and rectify the issue, although it's not a high priority at the moment.

Sage

#67 Post by Sage »

plans to try and rectify the issue
Good to know and thanks, but there must be regular correspondents who already know/surmise the answer?
P.S. Forgot to mention having problems with sound (none!)on newer systems when a PCI card is used. [Assume all the necessary BIOS, Mixer, etc settings properly set.]

01micko

#68 Post by 01micko »

Hello rg66 et al.

In an email, a certain herbed named member asked if I could be of assistance. I have an athlon 1900+ in service so I'll d'load the latest and give it a spin. Sounds to me like a timing issue or perhaps a d-bus compilation issue. Did you change d-bus?

By the way, slacko can install a package called "semonkey-solibs", it's an official slackware package, get it from the "patches" repo, it will up to date. Also there is some issue with latest google-chrome ( re dependent libs + slackware ), but I'll get back on that.

Cheerio.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

rg66

#69 Post by rg66 »

01micko wrote:Hello rg66 et al.

In an email, a certain herbed named member asked if I could be of assistance. I have an athlon 1900+ in service so I'll d'load the latest and give it a spin. Sounds to me like a timing issue or perhaps a d-bus compilation issue. Did you change d-bus?
Hey 01micko,

I had a look at the package I used for Xfce and it did have d-bus in it. When I have time I'll try the one that came with slacko to see if it fixes the P3/Athlon issue.

elroy

Firefox 25.0

#70 Post by elroy »

Firefox updated to 25.0 and seems to be working good.

Deacon

#71 Post by Deacon »

01micko wrote: By the way, slacko can install a package called "semonkey-solibs", it's an official slackware package, get it from the "patches" repo, it will up to date. Also there is some issue with latest google-chrome ( re dependent libs + slackware ), but I'll get back on that.

Cheerio.
On my current run with x-slacko I found that package and installed Google-Chrome with no success; however, I then installed Seamonkey itself, rebooted, and it worked fine! Definitely fun to experiment with.

However, I am unsure if it was the reboot or installing Seamonkey that did it and I am not sure I want to take them off to find out as I put all my apps in it :(

Deacon

Cairo-Dock 2.1.3- an odd question

#72 Post by Deacon »

First thanks to everyone who helped with the Chrome question! It worked great, and left me so satisfied I decided to quit Chrome and go smaller-- if it hasn't been tested, happy to report that with 61MB of dependencies Midori also works "out of the box" from the Salix repo in PPM.

Now to my current experiment.

I loaded Cairo-Dock onto X-Slacko to make the Desktop GUI I'd been working on for some time and I found an oddity which I was wondering was due to XFCE's build or Cairo-Dock (I've used Cairo-Dock on Xubuntu, but I know that builds are smaller on Puppy, which is why I ask.)

Everything works fine, except in trying to move a panel to the edge of the screen. Whereas I am accustomed to setting the lateral edge at 0 to get it to a left corner, for example, in this case I have to set it to -165 get close. I am not sure if this is due to the netbook or what-- I will test it soon on another monitor- but I am curious as to whether anyone testing X-Slacko has found this curiosity.

An oddity with X or Cairo-Dock?

elroy

xslacko notes

#73 Post by elroy »

I’ve been using Xslacko exclusively as of late - I was using Linux Mint and Arch Linux, but was very much impressed by Xslacko. Yes, it doesn’t have the repository that Debian/Ubuntu does, but for my purposes, it seems to be so much more stable as far as a Puppy-styled distro is concerned.

I am a HUGE fan of the ability to use a frugal install, and to be able to use legacy Grub; I’ve come to the conclusion that this is my distro of choice. Rod66 has done a great job of integrating the xfce desktop with the slacko build, and at present this is my distro of choice. Obviously, that may change down the road due to updating crap, but at present, this is, for myself anyways, the best route. I can successfully update Firefox to version 26.0, and run most of the packages that I need to use as an end-user.

Sage

#74 Post by Sage »

Came to the same conclusion, el. Hope rg & micko can divert attention for a mo. to fix the video issue. This one is significantly underrated.

rg66

#75 Post by rg66 »

Sage wrote:Came to the same conclusion, el. Hope rg & micko can divert attention for a mo. to fix the video issue. This one is significantly underrated.
Not sure what video issues your referring to.

As far as the d-bus P-3/Athlon issue goes, I had a go at fixing it and failed. So, it will most likely stay as is unless I feel motivated to start over with the Xfce packages from the repo. It is a lot of work so I'm not really sure I want to do it all over again. If I do decide to do it, I'll most likely wait for the new slacko if there's a non-pae version.

Sage

#76 Post by Sage »

That's a real shame, rg. My testbed for all compact distros is an XP board open on the bench. Whilst appreciating your efforts, this is a show-stopper. Frankly, it seems pointless consigning X-Slacko to modern tinware when it's unnecessary. It's clear that there are gurus out there who perfectly understand where the problem lies because NOP, Lighthouse, Carolina and others all run Xfce successfully on all boards. Perhaps micko can be persuaded? Not alone in believing this is a thoroughly worthwhile project.

kimathi

dbus

#77 Post by kimathi »

i find that the dbus error is due to dbus starting latter than when its needed eg using avahi or bluetooth the init scripts are executed starting with numbers then letters. since i use avahi and bluetooth these two would fail to contact dbus because they start before it. you may find it in /etc/init.d/ either named dbus or messagebus. I rename them/ it to start with 00dbus or 00messagebus that way its executed early on before anything else if that fails pick and use the init scripts from dpup wheezy they are two there as usual rename to start with numers it works.

Sage

#78 Post by Sage »

.../etc/init.d/ either named dbus or messagebus. I rename them/ it to start with 00dbus or 00messagebus...
Probably completely misunderstanding this, but created a re-master with 00messagebus. Still no picture on AMD XP2400.
Any further suggestions?

kimathi

#79 Post by kimathi »

Sage wrote: Probably completely misunderstanding this, but created a re-master with 00messagebus. Still no picture on AMD XP2400.
Any further suggestions?
Nope sorry it didn't work for you, i must have got it wrong in your case

Pete22

x-slacko

#80 Post by Pete22 »

I really like slacko with xfce.

I would like to use xfce-sensors in the panel but do not see it.
I know it's available in Carolina/

Is there any chance it can be included?

Thanks so much for such a nice puppy.

Pete